• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Anyone else ever try AI Dungeon? It’s a free game that’s a more advanced form of an old school text adventure where you can make the story be about whatever you want and the AI will try to play along.

I just did a plot where I tried to simulate the beginning of Animal Crossing. It started out pretty normal (aside from the fact that Rover decided to move in with my character rather than stay on the train.) But then, evidently there was some drama among the Nook family regarding some merchandise being stolen. Sometime after my character landed in court and agreed to make a deal with Tom Nook to not speak ill of him or his family members again, the AI decided that my character should murder Tommy and then Rover. The next day, he shortly afterward got caught for it and then got sentenced to death.

Yep, AI Dungeon is a thing alright.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Anyone else ever try AI Dungeon? It’s a free game that’s a more advanced form of an old school text adventure where you can make the story be about whatever you want and the AI will try to play along.

I just did a plot where I tried to simulate the beginning of Animal Crossing. It started out pretty normal (aside from the fact that Rover decided to move in with my character rather than stay on the train.) But then, evidently there was some drama among the Nook family regarding some merchandise being stolen. Sometime after my character landed in court and agreed to make a deal with Tom Nook to not speak ill of him or his family members again, the AI decided that my character should murder Tommy and then Rover. The next day, he shortly afterward got caught for it and then got sentenced to death.

Yep, AI Dungeon is a thing alright.
I basically use it to trap myself in loops using "maclanky" like Vinny did.

And also use iconic commands from Homestar text adventures like "get ye flask".

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F
12.png

xD Funny that after the silly comments and the comic, The Witcher 3 is no longer a suggestion after having played Sticky Paws, and it changed to SoW, something more logical. However, Sticky Paws still shows Jedi Fallen Order and Destiny 2. But now it made me wish it had stayed as it was before because it was hysterical.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F
View attachment 261638
xD Funny that after the silly comments and the comic, The Witcher 3 is no longer a suggestion after having played Sticky Paws, and it changed to SoW, something more logical. However, Sticky Paws still shows Jedi Fallen Order and Destiny 2. But now it made me wish it had stayed as it was before because it was hysterical.
I recently beat Jedi Fallen Order and needed something else to play like it. Guess I'm getting Sticky Paws!!!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Am I the only one who wants to see an Vandal Savage movie? Character definitely has enough history to warrant his own film, better yet even an TV show given his origins.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
IIRC Justice League Doom is an animated movie featuring him as the main villain.
Yep I know that. I mean an movie revolving around him.

We need more supervillain movies like Joker. Him, Doctor Doom, Apocalypse (En Sabah Nur), Ra's al Ghul, etc. They all have enough character history to have their own films.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yep I know that. I mean an movie revolving around him.

We need more supervillain movies like Joker. Him, Doctor Doom, Apocalypse (En Sabah Nur), Ra's al Ghul, etc. They all have enough character history to have their own films.
I have a one word response to this: no. No movies about villains. It’s just not a good idea no matter how you approach it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Well there goes more of my money. Was always a bigger fan of Red's FRLG design than his classic one, so I'm glad they're doing another Hitoshi Ariga figure of him. This definitely gets my hopes up for another May/Haruka figure with her original or Emerald design.

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Whenever I look up Smash tournament play, I always try to search for more unique match-ups. I usually don’t watch matches containing the same set of characters I’ve seen over and over again on the same legal stages.

Anyone else feel the same?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sure it can be. You might disagree with it, and I'm not a fan of the concept, but it can be done well.
Personally, I like to be able to root for my protagonist without feeling like a monster. Like, you really expect me to root for Ra’s Al Ghul, the guy who wipes out entire cities he deems as “corrupted”? You really expect me to cheer on a giggling maniac who murders for fun? Or a megalomaniacle racist with a god complex and powers to match? Or a man who believes the only way to achieve world piece is for him to conquer it? These things make them great villains but make them very poor protagonists in a film. I’m all about the art of storytelling and believe story is the single most important part of any film. But you can’t tell a story that nobody wants to hear. Not to mention the mear act of portraying characters who do these things as protagonists you’re supposed to relate too inherently justifies their actions and radicalizes people (see Joker and Thanos). Or conversely, the severity of their actions can be made to be so stripped back and diluted that they basically aren’t even really villains anymore (see Venom), in which case your portraying the character very poorly. It’s just not a good idea no matter how I look at it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Whenever I look up Smash tournament play, I always try to search for more unique match-ups. I usually don’t watch matches containing the same set of characters I’ve seen over and over again on the same legal stages.

Anyone else feel the same?
Honestly I think for this reason the characters who are top tier should be banned to encourage players to use a variety of characters.

Shroob

Sup?
Personally, I like to be able to root for my protagonist without feeling like a monster. Like, you really expect me to root for Ra’s Al Ghul, the guy who wipes out entire cities he deems as “corrupted”? You really expect me to cheer on a giggling maniac who murders for fun? Or a megalomaniacle racist with a god complex and powers to match? Or a man who believes the only way to achieve world piece is for him to conquer it? These things make them great villains but make them very poor protagonists in a film. I’m all about the art of storytelling and believe story is the single most important part of any film. But you can’t tell a story that nobody wants to hear. Not to mention the mear act of portraying characters who do these things as protagonists you’re supposed to relate too inherently justifies their actions and radicalizes people (see Joker and Thanos). Or conversely, the severity of their actions can be made to be so stripped back and diluted that they basically aren’t even really villains anymore (see Venom), in which case your portraying the character very poorly. It’s just not a good idea no matter how I look at it.
Protagonist doesn't mean you have to root for them, or that they're even a hero. Movies shouldn't always been about "The good guy wins, everyone is happy, the end."

Protagonist means 1 thing and 1 thing only, they're the main character of the story being told, and whether you like them or not doesn't really matter since this is their story.

Sometimes, I don't want a story about a man wearing his underpants outside of his costume coming in and saving the day and everyone's happy, I want to see the bad guys.

And, that's the thing, just because they're the bad guys, doesn't mean you 'have' to root for them. If Heath Ledger's Joker had ever gotten a movie, for example, I wouldn't be cheering for him, I'd be cheering when Batman came in eventually and beat him up.

And then there's the whole debate that evil isn't black and white and there's several layers to morality and emotion but that's neither here nor there.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
People who put quickplay setting to two stocks and don't rematch don't deserve rights.
I harbor nothing but disdain for the assholes who set their ruleset to three stocks/three minutes, myself.

Guess how many of those matches end at sudden death?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I'm trying to figure out a Fighter's Pass 2 via a template, but I'm having issues with the image options. Namely, I think the basic philosophy behind it is that you have close up images(starting from right above the lower half of the character depending the image/character). Somehow I didn't notice that for a while.

The other part is apparently they have colored BG's(for the fan-made ones too) that aren't simply just a copy-paste of the original image's bg. I.E. Take Scorpion, remove the BG, recolor it red quickly. However, I've noticed some of the templates have shades of red(to continue the example), not just a solid color.

The last issue I'm having is with the text(and well, putting the series logo on will be a pain too). For the most part, it's not that hard to do some of this, but the text issue being anything but left-to-right(or basically not at an angle) is a bit harder if you don't have an option beyond MSPaint. The only other option would possibly be asking another user to do so, I guess?

(To be clear, I am asking for advice, yes. >.<)

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Protagonist doesn't mean you have to root for them, or that they're even a hero. Movies shouldn't always been about "The good guy wins, everyone is happy, the end."

Protagonist means 1 thing and 1 thing only, they're the main character of the story being told, and whether you like them or not doesn't really matter since this is their story.

Sometimes, I don't want a story about a man wearing his underpants outside of his costume coming in and saving the day and everyone's happy, I want to see the bad guys.

And, that's the thing, just because they're the bad guys, doesn't mean you 'have' to root for them. If Heath Ledger's Joker had ever gotten a movie, for example, I wouldn't be cheering for him, I'd be cheering when Batman came in eventually and beat him up.

And then there's the whole debate that evil isn't black and white and there's several layers to morality and emotion but that's neither here nor there.
I think infinity war is a great example of this. It's been stated that Thanos(the bad guy) is the main protagonist and it's pretty clear when you think about it. The movie revolves around his quest for the stones, and he succeeds in the end. Infinity war was a great movie, so really I think other movies with the bad guy front and center like that would work just fine.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I can’t fathom why anyone would want to watch a movie with a character that they’re not supposed to root for as the star. You should relate to the main character and want them to succeed in their goals. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that if the audience is rooting for your main character to loose then you’d doing a bad job as a filmmaker because they’re most likely not having fun watching it.

And don’t give me that whole “evil is grey thing”. Murder is murder. Theft is theft. Destruction is destruction. These actions are inherently evil, and trying to act like there’s ever a good reason to do them is just giving yourself permission to do the things you want to do that you know you shouldn’t. It only causes trouble and misery.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think infinity war is a great example of this. It's been stated that Thanos(the bad guy) is the main protagonist and it's pretty clear when you think about it. The movie revolves around his quest for the stones, and he succeeds in the end. Infinity war was a great movie, so really I think other movies with the bad guy front and center like that would work just fine.
And now there are people actively arguing that killing half of the population is a justifiable and good thing. That’s what you get when a villain is the protagonist. It’s one of the many things that soured my opinion of the MCU at the very end. That they actually thought it was a good idea to send that message into a population that‘s this volatile.

Shroob

Sup?
I can’t fathom why anyone would want to watch a movie with a character that they’re not supposed to root for as the star. You should relate to the main character and want them to succeed in their goals. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that if the audience is rooting for your main character to loose then you’d doing a bad job as a filmmaker because they’re most likely not having fun watching it.

And don’t give me that whole “evil is grey thing”. Murder is murder. Theft is theft. Destruction is destruction. These actions are inherently evil, and trying to act like there’s ever a good reason to do them is just giving yourself permission to do the things you want to do that you know you shouldn’t. It only causes trouble and misery.
Darth Vader killed literal hundred if not thousands of people, including kids

Yet he still was redeemed in the end

Good and evil is not black and white. Just because someone does something ****ty doesn't mean they're terrible, evil people. Hell, you of all people should know this being a Flash fan.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Villain Protagonist and Hero Antagonist are a thing. Heroes are not inherently the protagonist in the story.

Protagonists are nothing more than who the star of the story. An antagonist is the person the star fights the most.

They have nothing to do with Heroes or Villains specifically. In fact, both can be neutral forces and neither could be good or evil in particular.

For a more specific hypothetical, you could say make a story specifically starring Shao Kahn from the latest reboot games to tell his full story. A lot of spoilers, but you could go one of two routes; either he has some shred of love for Mileena or he doesn't. Without completely retelling his story, that is. He's still an asshole overall and that's part of who he is. He was never designed to be likable by default. He's worth pitying slightly in Annihilation due to Shinnok being an abusive asshole dad, and Kahn isn't much better to his own minions, though the lack of interaction beyond him killing Rain for failing makes it harder to tell. They don't really show what he's like heavily enough to tell if it's just him being willing to kill failures(which as an evil warlord who has conquered Outworld, makes some sense. He can't show weakness at all) or if he's a completely trigger-happy killer. That's how poorly done the movie was(sadly even the few cartoon appearances, which were loosely based upon Annihilation as is don't delve into him enough to get a real personality).

That's how interesting it can be if done right.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
And now there are people actively arguing that killing half of the population is a justifiable and good thing. That’s what you get when a villain is the protagonist. It’s one of the many things that soured my opinion of the MCU at the very end. That they actually thought it was a good idea to send that message into a population that‘s this volatile.
It's..it's a movie..it's entertainment. I really doubt any sane people came out of that movie going "Wow. Let's all go destroy half the world!"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Good and evil is not black and white. Just because someone does something ****ty doesn't mean they're terrible, evil people. Hell, you of all people should know this being a Flash fan.

I’m not saying that evil people can’t be redeemed. But before they’ve been redeemed they were still evil and their actions were unjustifiable. You should try to fix evil people so they stop being evil. Obviously. But don’t act like what they were doing was okay.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's..it's a movie..it's entertainment. I really doubt any sane people came out of that movie going "Wow. Let's all go destroy half the world!"
You assume that a majority of people in the world today are sane. Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary. A few years ago? Maybe? But in a post-2016 world? Nope. Not on your nelly. If anything now we need to stick pretty strictly to what’s good and whats evil now more then ever.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Darth Vader also died and it was Anakin doing the redeeming act.

From a certain point of view.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m not saying that evil people can’t be redeemed. But before they’ve been redeemed they were still evil and their actions were unjustifiable. You should try to fix evil people so they stop being evil. Obviously. But don’t act like what they were doing was okay.
No one's saying what they're doing isn't evil, but a lot of time, what if they have no choice?

There is an argument that circumstance plays a HEAVY hand in how a person will act, and to condemn someone's actions as horrible with 0 sympathy is a bit heartless.

There are characters which, yes, are inherently made to be evil, like the Joker.

But then there's Vader, which like before, you 'know' what pushed him to that point. You don't agree with what he did, but you understand why he went down that path.

And let's not act like Heroes don't do ****ty **** all the time.

At the end of the day, why the hell do we even cheer for Heroes outside the fact we're 'told' to do so when Heroes do a handful of shady or terrible things as well.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
You assume that a majority of people in the world today are sane. Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary. A few years ago? Maybe? But in a post-2016 world? Nope. Not on your nelly. If anything now we need to stick pretty strictly to what’s good and whats evil now more then ever.
I didn't say there weren't bad people in the world. My point is that infinity war didn't make normal rational people want to destroy the world. A superhero movie isn't going to suddenly cause people to have the desire to murder.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But there is no good definition as to what is truly good or evil.

Yes, there are certain acts that, yes, you can without a shadow of a doubt point to being evil, but there's also a handful of things you pointed to that you really can't.

Theft? There are countless ways to justify theft.

Murder? Again, murder is very wrong but... if you tell me a story about a man/woman being abused by their spouse and they finally snap and kill the abuser? Yeah, I'm not going to shed any tears for the victim.

Etc

Having this black and white outlook only blinds you.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
DBFZ is looking real clean for it's Season 3, not that it surprises me. We get more Assists per character like Marvel 2 and 3, something I know many would really like. I wonder if Gohan will have a beam assist as one of his, I know Trunks does now. Which is nice. There's some cool UI updates as well. I wonder if the DLC will stop at UI Goku or not though. If the game get's a final re-release like SFV, I might double dip, since that's easier to track than getting all the DLC for it, as I've only gotten Cooler since I can be kind of a cheapo with that stuff sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom