• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dragon Ball FighterZ, Tekken 7, SF5, Soul Calibur, SamSho, Undernight, Smash Ulitmate and CAPCOM PRESENTS MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2. Let's go.

Definitely gonna watch DBFZ, Tekken and MVC2.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dragon Ball FighterZ, Tekken 7, SF5, Soul Calibur, SamSho, Undernight, Smash Ulitmate and CAPCOM PRESENTS MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2. Let's go.

Definitely gonna watch DBFZ, Tekken and MVC2.
All I care about are the announcements. Considering they’re so close to the start of next gen the pickings will either be very slim or very exciting.

D

Deleted member

I'm DEFINITELY GONNA WATCH MARVEL 2. IT'S BEEN MY JAM SINCE 2014...

Or I'm just gonna see people use Sentinels and Magnetos over and over...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not UMvC3. Not MvCI. Not TvC. Those all had a genuinely wide swath of different characters from different Capcom games.
Marvel 2 was primarily an asset dump of older titles. Hell, that's what MvCI is too, but with MCU pandering instead of re-using X-Men/SFA stuff to save money. Outside of picking Carnage instead of Marrow or something, most of the roster is fine for what it is. It even gave us Tron Bonne and used more Darkstalkers than most crossovers.

The fact that 3 and Infinite didn't take the time to add more from Spider-Man's franchise would personally be my biggest grievance since he's Marvel's best franchise.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Marvel 2 was primarily an asset dump of older titles. Hell, that's what MvCI is too, but with MCU pandering instead of re-using X-Men/SFA stuff to save money. Outside of picking Carnage instead of Marrow or something, most of the roster is fine for what it is. It even gave us Tron Bonne and used more Darkstalkers than most crossovers.
Agree to disagree I guess. I think it’s junk.

And don’t call it pandering just because you don’t like it. I could call MvC2 X-Men pandering but I didn’t because that implies the only merit to those characters is sucking up to a certain demographic which just isn’t true.

D

Deleted member

I could call MvC2 X-Men pandering but I didn’t because that implies the only merit to those characters is sucking up to a certain demographic which just isn’t true.
To be fair this was when X-Men was all the rage. Now it's the Avengers hogging the spotlight.

Geez, can't wait for someone to use Iron Man and BOOM the Twitch chat drops the Endgame references.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Agree to disagree I guess. I think it’s junk.

And don’t call it pandering just because you don’t like it. I could call MvC2 X-Men pandering but I didn’t because that implies the only merit to those characters is sucking up to a certain demographic which just isn’t true.
But it has more to do with the narrative of the game, aesthetics and music being influenced by the movies, not just the roster. And since you called it junk, that's really not that much better than calling it shilling.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just saw the EVO list - I'm surprised that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is one of the headliners, though I don't follow the fighting game community all that closely. (I mainly watch EVO for the announcements in the Grand Finals)

Not familiar with GranBlue or Under Night In Birth, and I'm kind of surprised that neither Guilty Gear or BlazBlue made the cut. (though Arc System Works is still in there with Dragon Ball FighterZ, and I think they're involved with the GranBlue game) For announcements, I'm expecting something Marvel vs. Capcom related (whether it's MvC4 or a re-release of the Capcom-made Marvel games on modern consoles) and another season for Dragon Ball FighterZ (they've already announced Ultra Instinct Goku) at the very least.

I'm not sure if they'll announce Street Fighter 6 or not; Champion Edition seems like a definitive wrap-up for Street Fighter V, since it includes everything, but I suppose they could still keep making content after Seth is released. (which is in ten days)

Same thing goes for Tekken - not sure if they'll announce Tekken 8 or not. I'd like them to announce an anniversary collection like what Street Fighter got, even if it's just 1-4 or 1-5 and Tag Tournament 1, but I doubt that will happen. (I think there's licensing issues with Gon the dinosaur, though Tekken 3 was included on the Playstation Classic, so I have no idea if that's a problem any more)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really gotta use my Twitter more. Especially for petitions I made, advertising my Discord, or just showing off my artwork. XD

D

Deleted member

Bandai Namco if you're reading this I hope the nerfs Leroy gets will be enough to save it...you probably saw what happened with Smash 4 two years ago...

Anyway, Under Night is good to see. Been watching the Granblue Fantasy anime to get me into the series. Now can we get an UNIB anime? Because I'm broke.

Shroob

Sup?
I just saw the EVO list - I'm surprised that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is one of the headliners, though I don't follow the fighting game community all that closely. (I mainly watch EVO for the announcements in the Grand Finals)

Not familiar with GranBlue or Under Night In Birth, and I'm kind of surprised that neither Guilty Gear or BlazBlue made the cut. (though Arc System Works is still in there with Dragon Ball FighterZ, and I think they're involved with the GranBlue game) For announcements, I'm expecting something Marvel vs. Capcom related (whether it's MvC4 or a re-release of the Capcom-made Marvel games on modern consoles) and another season for Dragon Ball FighterZ (they've already announced Ultra Instinct Goku) at the very least.

I'm not sure if they'll announce Street Fighter 6 or not; Champion Edition seems like a definitive wrap-up for Street Fighter V, since it includes everything.
To be perfectly blunt:

As someone who is a HUGE fan of Granblue Fantasy

it has a little to do with it being a NEW fighting game

And a LOT, LOT, LOT to do with Cygames pumping a TON of money into EVO.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Point is, if Marvel 4 ever gets made, put about 6 or 7 X-Men back in, 6 or 7 Avengers, and like 5 Spider-Man characters, and Marvel's side would turn out pretty great. Unless the characters from those series were all loser picks, but you get my point.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I'm not sure if they'll announce Street Fighter 6 or not; Champion Edition seems like a definitive wrap-up for Street Fighter V, since it includes everything, but I suppose they could still keep making content after Seth is released. (which is in ten days)

Same thing goes for Tekken - not sure if they'll announce Tekken 8 or not. I'd like them to announce an anniversary collection like what Street Fighter got, even if it's just 1-4 or 1-5 and Tag Tournament 1, but I doubt that will happen. (I think there's licensing issues with Gon the dinosaur, though Tekken 3 was included on the Playstation Classic, so I have no idea if that's a problem any more)
MvC2 is just an 8 person invitational. It's there as an anniversary event.

D

Deleted member

Point is, if Marvel 4 ever gets made, put about 6 or 7 X-Men back in, 6 or 7 Avengers, and like 5 Spider-Man characters, and Marvel's side would turn out pretty great. Unless the characters from those series were all loser picks, but you get my point.
Bring back Super Skrull and we'll have the closest thing to playable Fantastic Four characters.

As for Capcom side:

Morrigan's a lock. Don't know what other Darkstalkers characters will be chosen, but we'll see.

DMC, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and ESPECIALLY Ace Attorney should be base roster.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I completely forgot about that Disney Smash Bros roster so I fine tuned it.
For now, the list of franchises (more will be added based on the DLC of Ultimate):
1. Mickey and Friends
2. Ducktales
3. The Muppets
4. Star vs. the Forces of Evil
5. Goof Troop
6. Alice in Wonderland
7. Phones and Ferb
8. Toy Story
9. Frozen
10. Brave
11. Amphibia
12. Pirates of the Caribbean
13. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
14. Unidentified Flying Oddball
15. Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
16. Peter Pan
17. Wall-E
18. Beauty and the Beast
19. Inside Out
20. Wreck-it-Ralph
21. Tangled
22. Big Hero 6
23. The Simpsons

1. Oz no Mahōtsukai
2. Looney Tunes
3. Woody Woodpecker
4. Popeye the Sailor Man
5. Despicable Me
6. Spongebob Squarepants
7. Totally Spies
8. Arthur
9. Batman
10. Timmy Turner
11. Wallace and Gromit
12. K-ON

Shroob

Sup?
I love Granblue Fantasy

But considering last year EVO was sponsored by Cygames, it's pretty clear Cygames bought their slot lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder how ridiculous they could get with a Marvel roster made of loser picks. My gut instinct is that the Spider-Man line-up would consist of the Sinister Six... as portrayed in the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. (where there's only five of them, and the biggest name in the group is the Shocker)

As for the Avengers, they'd need to have Doctor Druid and Starfox (not that one - this one is Thanos's brother, whose powers can downright disturbing if you think about it) in there. I'm not as familiar with the X-Men, but given how many mutants there are, I'm sure there would be plenty of lame powers. (I know there's one character whose mutant ability is that he can explode. ...once. ...with fatal results for the user)

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But it has more to do with the narrative of the game, aesthetics and music being influenced by the movies, not just the roster. And since you called it junk, that's really not that much better than calling it shilling.
You do know that the comics borrow a lot from the films now too, right? It’s what most people are most familiar with. Ever character design in the comics now basically matches the movies. In fact, sticking to the past is what hurt the games aesthetic because they tried to keep the old stances for the marvel characters making their proportions really weird (looking at you Cap and Spidey)

And I said “I think it’s junk”. Meaning it’s my opinion. Not trying to say it’s factual or that I’m right.

To be fair this was when X-Men was all the rage. Now it's the Avengers hogging the spotlight.

Geez, can't wait for someone to use Iron Man and BOOM the Twitch chat drops the Endgame references.
Except it’s not “Avengers” hogging the spotlight. They’re not all Avengers characters. They’re Iron Man characters and Black Panther characters, and Captain America characters, and Dr. Strange characters etc etc. That’s like calling the Xenomorphs “Predator characters” just because they crossed over and share a universe. MvCI is one of the most diverse rosters as far as marvel characters, taking a lot more headliners from a wider variety of series instead of a bunch of side-characters from one series.

See above. Include like 4 or 5 x-men characters, and a bunch of Iron Man characters, and Hulk characters, and Thor characters, and Captain America characters, and Guardians of the Galaxy characters, and Black Panther characters, and Fantastic Four characters, and Spider-Man characters, and Dr. Strange characters, and Ghost Rider characters, and Blade Characters, and Punisher characters, and Daredevil characters, etc etc etc.

Shroob

Sup?
^Honestly, the problem is, outside of movies, how many of the characters of Thor/Iron Man/Captain America/Hulk does the general populace even know?

Like, I know Red Skull.... because of the movie. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to name another Captain America villain.... Winter Soldier? Legit, I don't even know.

Same goes for all the rest on the Marvel side to be blunt. There's a reason that Marvel handles their side of the MvsC roster like it does lately, and it's called advertising for upcoming projects.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Why am I just now discovering the Metal gear rising vocal tracks?

Why weren't these songs put in ultimate?

Why can't I beat up Isabelle, Cuphead and Sans to this!?

Shroob

Sup?
This'll probably get me crucified but I kinda like how MvsCU handled the Marvel side as opposed to how 3 did it.

Honestly, barring the removal of Wolverine, Magneto and Doctor Doom.... I really wasn't sad to see characters like Shuma-Gorath, MODOK, Taskmaster and Super Skrull cut, simply because as a casual fan of Marvel, I don't know who the hell they even are.

Likewise, I can pretty much tell you who everyone is in MvsCU is aside from Nova.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, no Mortal Kombat 11. Ok.
This'll probably get me crucified but I kinda like how MvsCU handled the Marvel side as opposed to how 3 did it.

Honestly, barring the removal of Wolverine, Magneto and Doctor Doom.... I really wasn't sad to see characters like Shuma-Gorath, MODOK, Taskmaster and Super Skrull cut, simply because as a casual fan of Marvel, I don't know who the hell they even are.

Likewise, I can pretty much tell you who everyone is in MvsCU is aside from Nova.
You gotta admit though, no X-Men was kinda boosh.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
NGL I got pretty mad at the AC news. I'm over it now, but dang, I cannot think of any justification here. Like, Splatoon's excuse is dumb, but at least it has one. There's literally no reason for them to not offer this, it's insane. Like, I'm sure the game is still gonna be amazing, but yeah this'll hurt my hype for a bit. Oh well, I'm sure my mood will change once I'm playing it.

The Switch era Nintendo is somehow both the best and worst the company has ever been, and it's weird.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You do know that the comics borrow a lot from the films now too, right? It’s what most people are most familiar with. Ever character design in the comics now basically matches the movies. In fact, sticking to the past is what hurt the games aesthetic because they tried to keep the old stances for the marvel characters making their proportions really weird (looking at you Cap and Spidey)

And I said “I think it’s junk”. Meaning it’s my opinion. Not trying to say it’s factual or that I’m right.

Except it’s not “Avengers” hogging the spotlight. They’re not all Avengers characters. They’re Iron Man characters and Black Panther characters, and Captain America characters, and Dr. Strange characters etc etc. That’s like calling the Xenomorphs “Predator characters” just because they crossed over and share a universe. MvCI is one of the most diverse rosters as far as marvel characters, taking a lot more headliners from a wider variety of series instead of a bunch of side-characters from one series.
I'm aware quite a few of the comics use movie designs. Something else I'm not a fan of, barring Iron Man, since he fits the best with his hi-tech look. Nor am I saying that I'm factually right either. And I don't think sticking to the older aesthetic hurt the games much. I have no problem with certain elements being changed, Marvel 3 did that a ton, and it worked out well there, I don't feel like it did for Infinite personally.

I can't say I see their choices as Diverse when, again, it's mostly returning characters from MVC3, minus 2 pretty big series. Only adding to the Avengers and GotG side of things, because of what the then current films had. Hell, there was nothing from the Netflix side of things, nor much added from Spider-Man except adding back Venom.

And while you'll say they are Iron Man characters, Captain America characters ect, They are associated together as Avengers. If you want to split hairs in that manner, then why not label Black Panther as a Fantastic Four character, as that's where he got his debut?

Taskmaster I like. Though really also cutting Storm, Deadpool and even She-Hulk was disappointing. Nova was again, also in MVC3.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

On the flip side, putting in characters the general public aren’t as familiar with are a chance to get more people to recognize and even become new fans of those characters, just putting in characters the general audience would know all the time would be extremely safe and limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom