• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@JDCabrera @- Zero Requiem - @Wademan94 @Noipoi Here is the character design, along with another I did as well.
First we have this werewolf lad. I don’t have a lot for this character planned out just yet, but basically he tries really hard to make himself look cooler and more confident than he actually is. I still want to work on a few things with this guy, such as different head shapes, different eye shapes, and I want to tweak his color palette a bit.
And now, our second mythical creature character. This time, a harpy. I don’t have much about this character worked out yet either, but I do know that she is a somewhat shy bookworm, and she’s very nerdy. I took some inspiration from Marcie from Peanuts for her personality, then I made some tweaks to make it more unique. I was originally going to give her a sweater, but it wouldn’t really work with the wings, so I settled on a tank top. I also need to work on the legs, as they look really weird right now. I’ll also probably make some tweaks with the feather’s shape and placement.
Hey! They both look really awesome!

Nice job!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Short answer: no

Long answer: noooooooooooo
Dang it.

I really want to remake Jersey Devil. Like it feels like a nice launching point for game development for me. I see so much potential in it to hybridize the Platformer and Hack n Slash genres. As well as pay tribute to classic Warner Bros animation.

Oh well. Guess I need to wait until I have friends or can a guy afford to start a studio.

Shroob

Sup?
Dang it.

I really want to remake Jersey Devil. Like it feels like a nice launching point for game development for me. I see so much potential in it to hybridize the Platformer and Hack n Slash genres. As well as pay tribute to classic Warner Bros animation.

Oh well. Guess I need to wait until I have friends or can a guy afford to start a studio.
Even if you had the money, you'd probably be stuck in copyright courts for years.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just to contact the still operating studio and pay a licensing fee?
You'd be better off pitching a prototype than anything. And even then it might not be seen as profitable and be denied. You can give it a shot but Prototyping is a LOT of work. That's without even mentioning the headache it would be to get their attention.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just to contact the still operating studio and pay a licensing fee?
As someone who knows a bit about this topic, Yes. Getting the legal rights to nearly anything(but particularly for brand name stuff, like Disney for example) is a pain in the ass.

It’s not a one and done deal; there are multiple papers you would have to sign, a waiver or two considering the scenario, and after all that the product would probably tarnish the companies name with the kinda quality a College Student would produce on average.
Most game studios wouldn’t even take the risk, let alone go thru with it without some strings attached.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You'd be better off pitching a prototype than anything. And even then it might not be seen as profitable and be denied. You can give it a shot but Prototyping is a LOT of work.
Fair. Probably shouldn’t be my first project then.
As someone who knows a bit about this topic, Yes. Getting the legal rights to nearly anything(but particularly for brand name stuff, like Disney for example) is a pain in the ass.

It’s not a one and done deal; there are multiple papers you would have to sign, a waiver or two considering the scenario, and after all that the product would probably tarnish the companies name with the kinda quality a College Student would produce on average.
Most game studios wouldn’t even take the risk, let alone go thru with it without some strings attached.
Message received. Wait.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fair. Probably shouldn’t be my first project then.
If anything I would reccomend a first project be a “do whatever the **** you want” style game, because those tend to yield the most immediate job experience. I know how much you hate Open-Worlds, of course, but you would be hardpressed to never ever need to know how at the very least they are designed.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If anything I would reccomend a first project be a “do whatever the **** you want” style game, because those tend to yield the most immediate job experience. I know how much you hate Open-Worlds, of course, but you would be hardpressed to never ever need to know how at the very least they are designed.
Make a game that you yourself would hate so you would have no idea if it’s good or not. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Shroob

Sup?
Make a game that you yourself would hate so you would have no idea if it’s good or not. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.
It's all about experience and thinking outside of your comfortable zone.

The more experience you have in anything, the better.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t even know where to begin.
Oh trust me, 9/10 times the hardest part of learning a new skill is the first steps.
that’s probably why my videos and gifs tend to be garbage; I know the very basics, but I dunno how to apply them, but that’s the last hurdle in this journey.

Same with my secret project, A few days go I didn’t even know I could do this stuff, but you know what I did? I T R I E D it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Any advice?
Well, is there a specific genre you want to make a game for? This can also help with stuff like understanding the game balance well. Things like story writing can help too. Practice makes perfect.

I've designed multiple games(mostly fangames) over the years. For me, I find working with a rpg a lot easier. Using stuff like game maker or teaming up with friends can help too. My current main game is the Dungeon Crawler(set towards an adult age, since it has a lot of adult jokes. Not specifically lewd for the most part, or many intend to be toned down to meet an easier audience), but you get the idea. For why a Dungeon Crawler? It's one of the easiest rpg types to make, since it's very simplistic. The most work is done in stuff like character designs and dialogue, but balance is simple. It's a good way for me to get better at them before fully working on my Pokemon hack.

D

Deleted member

Any advice?
Well while I personally don't know the job you want to get, I could share what I do to expand my story-telling creativity so I become a great writer in the future.

What I tend to do to get more inspiration for my stories is watch many kinds of movies on the cinema which I analyze and always try to look for elements I feel I could improve, look for events or experiences on my daily routine that make me think "hey! Maybe I could write a fun story inspired on this which could be enjoyable!" and take feedback from my IRL friends regarding them.

If what you want to do is get into the gaming industry, you should do the stuff people such as Guh-Huzzah! or Taylor do and try to look for minor indie developments who could do some good stuff with your ideas.

D

Deleted member

Any advice?
The best advice I can give for making open-world games:

A barrier isn’t a roadblock that will eventually open like it is in Linear games; It’s a problem to be solved that requires the use of your skills.

For example, how about a wooden fence that blocks off a road to a plot section? Find a bunch of gasoline, and BANG! no more roadblock.

In a linear game, that gate would only open once you complete task X, but in an open world game, as long as you have the tools(and the knowledge of how to apply them, the most important part) you can cross the barrier before you really need too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The biggest advantage of a linear game is for a developer to balance various enemies/obstacles so it goes from weakest to strongest. But again, genre matters in that regard too. Platformers often aren't about Hit Points, so you can keep that easily open end most roadblocks are power up options. There's a lot you can do, really.

I prefer open-ended, but that also can make it difficult to tell a great story. Though for one's first game, having an immense story can be difficult. Sometimes it's better to keep very simple.

D

Deleted member

Progress Update!
I started all over. Again.. this time I have a very...VERY concrete plan for what I want the story to do.
I figured out how to make sprites bigger and not just the 1x1 tile they were beforehand :p
I also love wait timers now, makes the cutscenes look more like that: Cutscenes makes bug testing a ***** thou

Also, I completely revamped the town, or at least close enough for now

2F42047C-9F9C-45F6-BA3A-0AFF9E917F6F.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Well here you go.
View attachment 260647
I showed it to my mom, since she’s a Peanuts fan. We both are. This is how the conversation went.
Mom: Egh. It’s kinda creepy.
Me: Oh.
Mom: ...Wait did you draw it?
Me: Yeah.
Mom: OH
The only thing I would do is make the eyes smaller and separate them a bit farther.

Besides that, you did a decent job!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I can imagine this being a scene in a new Kirby t.v show after Right Back at Ya: (This new t.v show would take place in the Modern Kirby games.)
47362e394a4ba88bb77640810ea3cb7f.jpg

Zero himself seen here would not trust Kirby and his friends at first, but becomes more nicer and positive thus with him becoming a friend of Kirby.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can imagine this being a scene in a new Kirby t.v show after Right Back at Ya: (This new t.v show would take place in the Modern Kirby games.)
View attachment 260651
Zero himself seen here would not trust Kirby and his friends at first, but becomes more nicer and positive thus with him becoming a friend of Kirby.
Gonna be honest I don't think Kirby would ever be friends with his worlds version of the physical embodiment of Satan but maybe I'm pessimistic.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I just learned my school is having a prom
even though the school is online and I dont know anybody
and I guarantee my mother is gonna make me go

help

D

Deleted member

Some character models for an animation are done, so I can finally get to, well, animating!

(Also, this character being a gamer is a meme, to clarify.)
@JDCabrera DerpingPikachu DerpingPikachu Metal Shop X Metal Shop X
View attachment 260649
The model looks really nice!

I just learned my school is having a prom
even though the school is online and I dont know anybody
and I guarantee my mother is gonna make me go

help
If you can't find a way to escape from the prom, then try to be there for the food.

Make sure to bring your phone too so you don't get bored.

D

Deleted member

But I dont know how to dance ;n;
and also I have like two friends that dont live far away and neither of them are girls
Oh, your problem is dancing?

Hey, I want to believe that you aren't forced to dance.

There were a lot of dancing at my high school graduation ceremony and none of them were obligatory.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I got a fun little game. Make a 26 character fighting game roster, but they all have to correspond to each leter of the alphabet. Since this isn't tied to Smash, you can pick characters outside of video games as well, given that they aren't real (a character an actor plays is ok, the actor themself isn't).

Have at it.

And... this is getting First Paged! How delightful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom