• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
More power to you, best of luck. Don't let the pain consume you.
It's something I would like but not something I'm going to stan. I'm content with just Cloud but it always feels like a monley paw inclusion with the lack of content.

I'd go for Sora before another FF character but either would be megatons for me.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't take it anymore. I know I'm beating a dead pile at this point, what with this topic having been regurgitated over and over again, but I can't hold it in anymore, so I apologize for going on repeat with this.
I have no idea why Nintendo or the Smash development team seem to keep overlooking female characters for inclusion when other companies and fighter development teams seem to be more inclusive. I get it, the vast majority of gaming icons are male, I get that, but there are a number of female characters that would be perfect additions to Smash but will never have a realistic chance of ever getting in. What with yet another RPG-Fire Emblem character-avatar swap character being added, I would say to those of you wanting 2B, DVA, Aloy, Tracer, Lara Croft, Sylvanas or Cassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey in Smash, don't hold your breath. It's now been over 4 years since Bayo was the last character added to Smash WIIU/3DS, and we still don't have any new female characters joining the roster that weren't echo fighters or avatar swaps. The way things are going, with over 80 characters on the roster, only 8will be exclusively female, not counting avatar swaps/echo fighters (and 4 of the 8 are the same people-Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda/Sheik), whereas Mortal Kombat 11 has 10 female fighters on its roster of 31 fighters presently, and then Street Fighter V has 40 characters on its roster with 13 female characters on it. I don't know what on earth I can say.
There, there's my rant for the night, I'm sorry to bore with this subject again, but I had to let it out. Have a good night.
I'll never understand why this is such a do or die thing for a lot of people.

Of course, I'd love more women in Smash, but even from me like, say it with me:

Smash, for the most part, has main character bias, and a good chunk of the characters you listed are side characters in their games.

Tracer would absolutely get in if she were the Overwatch rep since she's basically the face of Overwatch but.... Sylvanas? A character that Blizzard has been making more and more unlikeable every expansion? Over ****ing Thrall, the face of Warcraft 3? Or Illidan? Or Arthas?

I just don't see the 'need' to suddenly throw in a million female characters for the sake of 'having more females'.

If someone like 2B gets in, then that means they got in because they're just a good, fun character, not to fill an imaginary gender quota.

I'm not trying to sound sexist, because there's a handful of female characters I'd love to have in Smash, but more often than not, it feels like when people bring this up, it's moreso to fill a quota instead of just wanting cool and unique characters.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Smash, for the most part, has main character bias, and a good chunk of the characters you listed are side characters in their games.

Tracer would absolutely get in if she were the Overwatch rep since she's basically the face of Overwatch but.... Sylvanas? A character that Blizzard has been making more and more unlikeable every expansion? Over ****ing Thrall, the face of Warcraft 3? Or Illidan? Or Arthas?

I just don't see the 'need' to suddenly throw in a million female characters for the sake of 'having more females'.

If someone like 2B gets in, then that means they got in because they're just a good, fun character, not to fill an imaginary gender quota.

I'm not trying to sound sexist, because there's a handful of female characters I'd love to have in Smash, but more often than not, it feels like when people bring this up, it's moreso to fill a quota instead of just wanting cool and unique characters.
Precisely. It’s not what’s between a character’s legs: it’s about how they come out to be and do battle. I’ve been touting my support for one such lady thanks to having become a newfound fan of her franchise, but it’s still a rather controversial pick.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Yeah. We shouldn't be harping on Sakurai for this, we need to be demanding more games with female protagonists.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah. We shouldn't be harping on Sakurai for this, we need to be demanding more games with female protagonists.
Exactly right.

When people say that the game world is dominated by Male protagonists, they're not kidding.

I'd love 2B, I absolutely would.

Laura Croft wouldn't be my cup of tea but I'd accept her.

And then you got characters like Morrighan or Tracer which are give and take.

But when you have to start pulling more secondary/one off protagonist characters, like, as mentioned above, Cassandra from AssCreed... which is the same series as Ezio/Altair? Who are both massively popular?

There needs to 'be' more iconic female protagonists period.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
>Watch Introspektive's reveal

"Eh, but okay"

>Aaronitmar's

"Haha this is hilarious I can't even be mad"

>Papagenos

*Angery reddit noises*
God, Papagenos acted like a complete ****ing tool in that video. You couldn't even go a minute without him saying some **** like:

"Should've been someone else."

"Nobody wanted this."

"Blue haired generic anime swordsman"

Like, I totally get people being disappointed with Byleth but he acted extremely immature and childish about it.

Shroob

Sup?
God, Papagenos acted like a complete ****ing tool in that video. You couldn't even go a minute without him saying some **** like:

"Nobody wanted this."

Like, I totally get people being disappointed with Byleth but he acted extremely immature and childish about it.
It was *real* bad.

Even Max, who stayed up all night thinking it'd be Dante was a million times for civil than that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know what's really irritating for me for reasons even I don't even understand? Byleth's jacket. For some reason seeing them with their coat sleeves dangling behind them pisses me off. It's actually kind of funny.

D

Deleted member

"Nobody wanted this."

There comes a point where you just realize this is not a good video to upload, and he passed that in the first tenth of the video.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Exactly right.

When people say that the game world is dominated by Male protagonists, they're not kidding.

I'd love 2B, I absolutely would.

Laura Croft wouldn't be my cup of tea but I'd accept her.

And then you got characters like Morrighan or Tracer which are give and take.

But when you have to start pulling more secondary/one off protagonist characters, like, as mentioned above, Cassandra from AssCreed... which is the same series as Ezio/Altair? Who are both massively popular?

There needs to 'be' more iconic female protagonists period.
Too bad that no matter how many female protagonists we create they'll never be "iconic" enough for Smash.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I keep hearing people say

"Why weren't they a Monster Hunter"

I'm not gonna start any crazy theories, but Monster Hunter feels like its time came and went with the base game.

Unless they decide later down the line to remove "Vs.Rathalos" from "Other" to a dedicated Monster Hunter series, which is doable certainly, but we've yet to see a song move from "Other" to a dedicated series afaik, unless I'm missing something.
I'm going to be quite blunt here: People saying Byleth's moveset should've been Monster Hunter's are looking for an easy scapegoat and are ignoring quite a bit about both characters.

First issue is that Monster Hunter doesn't have a Whip Sword, their sword of choice is the iconic ridiculously large Great Sword that would make Cloud gasp in shock. Both wouldn't use their main weapons close to the same and that's a large chunk of a moveset that can't be shared between the two. The axe Monster Hunter uses is a Switch Axe or Charge Blade which have different modes and require making the most out of both to get the most mileage out of them, which would be quite different from Byleth's axe if implemented loyally to the game. Even the lance is used differently as in Monster Hunter it's very much like an FE Knight as you stay your ground and plan your strikes while Byleth's is more mobile. The only weapon that's pretty much the same between them is the bow, and Monster Hunter has 10 other weapons they can use instead of the bow so it's not like they have to share that either.

The only reason this idea is being paraded around is because people are mad around Byleth and are picking an easy character to throw their support on to justify their bile. There's a lot you can do with both characters that don't have to have them overlap with each other and pushing the idea that Byleth 'stole' Monster Hunter's potential is just trying to make a negative narrative to justify their dislike for the character.

If I remember correctly, there was actually an interview with the Monster hunter devs and were originally approached with the prospect of a character slot but thought Rathalos as an enemy/general monster would represent the series far better than the self insert hunter character like what MvCI got. Which makes sense, the monsters are what the series is about. I much prefer Rathalos in this way, as well. I'll edit this post when I find what I'm thinking of
You're thinking of the MvC3 interview, but that's not correct. What happened was they approached the Monster Hunter team for a character and were rejected as they didn't like their character idea. Once it was rejected, they couldn't think of an alternative and just decided to drop the idea of Monster Hunter in the game at all and nothing else was in consideration. Rathalos in particular never popped up in the interview.

As for Infinite, we never got feedback for what changed about the situation there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that's not true in the slightest.

Hell, if we get another Square rep, my money's on a split tie between 2B and Laura Croft.
Geno man. Geno is always there. Although honestly I think we need to consider him differently from a "Square Rep". He's not a "Square Rep". He's a "fanservice Rep".

But back to your point.... forgive me if I'm not as faithful as you in the idea that a game staring a woman winning over the hearts of the masses in todays current.... climate.

Shroob

Sup?
Geno man. Geno is always there. Although honestly I think we need to consider him differently from a "Square Rep". He's not a "Square Rep". He's a "fanservice Rep".

But back to your point.... forgive me if I'm not as faithful as you in the idea that a game staring a woman winning over the hearts of the masses in todays current.... climate.
We had Byleth added today.

You think a game needs to 'win over the hearts of the masses' with how this fanbase reacted?

lol

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Too bad that no matter how many female protagonists we create they'll never be "iconic" enough for Smash.
That's what I was about to say. I feel like games are getting there, as there are actually a lot of great games that have come out recently or are coming out soon with female protagonists (Horizon: Zero Dawn, Hellblade, Control, The Last of Us Pt. II to name a few off the top of my head), it's just they aren't really from games that will ever realistically make it into a game like Smash.

I can't really think of any females other than Lara Croft, Jill, or Tracer that really stand a chance.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Horizon Zero Dawn did really well and last I checked, there's a lot of people eagerly awaiting a sequel.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I can't take it anymore. I know I'm beating a dead pile at this point, what with this topic having been regurgitated over and over again, but I can't hold it in anymore, so I apologize for going on repeat with this.
I have no idea why Nintendo or the Smash development team seem to keep overlooking female characters for inclusion when other companies and fighter development teams seem to be more inclusive. I get it, the vast majority of gaming icons are male, I get that, but there are a number of female characters that would be perfect additions to Smash but will never have a realistic chance of ever getting in. What with yet another RPG-Fire Emblem character-avatar swap character being added, I would say to those of you wanting 2B, DVA, Aloy, Tracer, Lara Croft, Sylvanas or Cassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey in Smash, don't hold your breath. It's now been over 4 years since Bayo was the last character added to Smash WIIU/3DS, and we still don't have any new female characters joining the roster that weren't echo fighters or avatar swaps. The way things are going, with over 80 characters on the roster, only 8will be exclusively female, not counting avatar swaps/echo fighters (and 4 of the 8 are the same people-Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda/Sheik), whereas Mortal Kombat 11 has 10 female fighters on its roster of 31 fighters presently, and then Street Fighter V has 40 characters on its roster with 13 female characters on it. I don't know what on earth I can say.
There, there's my rant for the night, I'm sorry to bore with this subject again, but I had to let it out. Have a good night.
So did you forget about Isabelle the new lady of Nintendo?

Also to not count echos really defeats your point here. Female is female doesn’t matter if they are a clone if they have a separate slot

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Horizon Zero Dawn did really well and last I checked, there's a lot of people eagerly awaiting a sequel.
I gotta say.... I'm surprised about that. The game came out in 2017. I'm surprised it wasn't written off as "SJW Forced Diversity Moral Pandering Virtue Signaling". 2016 had already happened after all.

Shroob

Sup?
God though.

That Papagenos vid left such a nasty taste in my mouth lol.

There's unhappy

And then there's

"I really don't care"(REALLY cares for 40 minutes straight non stop)

If he wasn't the only decent-ish channel that covered 'leaks', I'd prob have just unsubbed after that lol.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So did you forget about Isabelle the new lady of Nintendo?

Also to not count echos really defeats your point here. Female is female doesn’t matter if they are a clone if they have a separate slot
Yeah, I don't understand why things have to be twisted to sound even worse. Like, let's not count any female character that's an alt or any female character with a male alt. Let's also ingore female clones or instances where the same entity is two or more different playable characters. We will, however, count all these instances for the male characters.
I prefer this one, myself:

The oops just cracks me up way more than it should.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I don't understand why things have to be twisted to sound even worse. Like, let's not count any female character that's an alt or any female character with a male alt. Let's also ingore female clones or instances where the same entity is two or more different playable characters. We will, however, count all these instances for the male characters.

The oops just cracks me up way more than it should.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai's next project after Ultimate was a Fire Emblem Game.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
God though.

There's unhappy

And then there's

If he wasn't the only decent-ish channel that covered 'leaks', I'd prob have just unsubbed after that lol.
Never was subbed to the guy but that ****show guaranteed that I'll never give his content the time of day ever again.

Shroob

Sup?
Says a lot when the guy who's not super big into Smash but convinced himself it'd be Dante and streamed all night straight in preparation of Dante is a 100 times more civil and respectful than one of our own.

This fanbase just has some bad eggs, and biases.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
You're thinking of the MvC3 interview, but that's not correct. What happened was they approached the Monster Hunter team for a character and were rejected as they didn't like their character idea. Once it was rejected, they couldn't think of an alternative and just decided to drop the idea of Monster Hunter in the game at all and nothing else was in consideration. Rathalos in particular never popped up in the interview.

As for Infinite, we never got feedback for what changed about the situation there.
Interesting, I wasn't aware I had them mixed up like that. Thanks for the correction, and link

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I gotta say.... I'm surprised about that. The game came out in 2017. I'm surprised it wasn't written off as "SJW Forced Diversity Moral Pandering Virtue Signaling". 2016 had already happened after all.
Anyone who would argue that isn't worth listening to in the first place. When talking about Aloy with a friend, we both really liked her because she felt like a very human character. It never felt like the only reason you should like her is because she's female.

Really, my only problem with her writing was making you choose how she reacts to situations. I'd prefer that be left to avatar characters and not predefined ones moving through a narrative.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Seriously though lol

Papageno's reaction vid is

Def something else

P.much 40 minutes of "I'm not upset" *Proceeds to be incredibly upset for 40 mins*
There comes a point where you just realize this is not a good video to upload, and he passed that in the first tenth of the video.
he passed that the first 30 seconds. He got so salty and toxic despite him saying he was content with banjo. It’s unlike any way I’ve seen him before. Like it was so bad that it was absolutely laughable and pitiful.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Says a lot when the guy who's not super big into Smash but convinced himself it'd be Dante and streamed all night straight in preparation of Dante is a 100 times more civil and respectful than one of our own.

This fanbase just has some bad eggs, and biases.
This is why the only person I watch react to gaming stuff is Maximillian Dood... cause he's a good dood.

Shroob

Sup?
he passed that the first 30 seconds. He got so salty and toxic despite him saying he was content with banjo. It’s unlike any way I’ve seen him before. Like it was so bad that it was absolutely laughable and pitiful.
"I'm not upset. I'm content with Banjo."

"Another ****ing blue haired swordsman. Man Sakurai is so biased. Lemme guess, a counter too?"

Reminds me of:

"If I get X, I'll never ask for anything again"

Suuuuuuuuuure you won't.

D

Deleted member

God though.

There's unhappy

And then there's

What appalled me was Papa is usually chill about the newcomer scene. He's accepts people he's not into like Erdrick or Terry, because he knows at least someone would be down for it. To see him drop that mentality for 40 minutes honestly gave me the impression he's disingenuous about that mentality, and I'm not sure how to feel about it as an FE fan.

I never watched him for the reaction videos to begin with, but this gave me a new light of the dude.

Shroob

Sup?
What appalled me was Papa is usually chill about the newcomer scene. He's accepts people he's not into like Erdrick or Terry, because he knows at least someone would be down for it. To see him drop that mentality for 40 minutes honestly gave me the impression he's disingenuous about that mentality, and I'm not sure how to feel about it as an FE fan.

I never watched him for the reaction videos to begin with, but this gave me a new light of the dude.
Everyone wears masks.

He just forgot to put his on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom