• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley's thread was a mess at times, but for the most part, discussions were relevant to the main topic and people could calmly debate with detractors (though they took it to extremes by preparing lengthy essays complete with size scales and other various pictures).

Geno's thread wouldn't be so bad if people stayed on topic and didn't freak out every time a random user claimed he was a one-shot who no one remembers or cares about. I don't want Geno to stay out of Smash just to see his supporters upset, but his thread really needs a few non-mod users to help keep it from becoming so derailed and toxic. It's not a good image.
To be fair I remember people freaking out if anyome dared suggest Ridley wasn't in Smash 4 in the days of Smash 4

Shroob

Sup?
On a more "positive" note (depending on your preferences), at least the theory that fighter #5 has to be a huge bombshell of a reveal has been dispelled somewhat. I'm quite interested to see where we go from here.
I'm not expecting a lot to change tbh.

Leakers aren't 'btfo' like people claimed in the heat of the moment, and the closer we get to a Direct date, the more and more likely an actual legitimate leak happens.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bravely Default 2 is great, but 90% of Nintendo's presence in the show was: "Did you know that Nintendo Switch has GAMES?!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been saying there would be nothing for months, and I choose to believe that pessimism physically manifested and cancelled whatever FP5 announcement there originally was for this.

That said, Gears Tactics looks better than I thought it would. Ori and Doom look good but we knew that already. Cable/Gambit in MUA3, Maneater and NMH3 were all pleasant surprises. Untitled Beaker Game needs to be real.

Depends on when you're talking about. Smash 4 Ridley thread was incredibly tame compared to Brawl (we went through several threads and eventually got Ridley as a thread topic just flat out banned for a time). The worst Smash 4 really ever had was how heated shadowposting would get, and some drama back when we had Social Groups.

K. Rool was a bit late in gaining traction in sense that we didn't even have Diddy when Brawl speculation kicked off, and DK hadn't quite reached peak series stagnation just yet (it was pre-DKCR). They faced arguably worse elsewhere, not just this website, whereas Ridley has kinda petered off once the comments from Sakurai hit.

Both these and Banjo-Kazooie also different circumstances, but I feel every fanbase has toxicity/a bad side if you look hard enough (namely now that everything is so widespread and out there with social media). Had any of us had similar circumstances (if any of Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo weren't already in I'm sure they'd still be just as loud as they've always been), I'm sure most others would still be critical/sick of us (if they aren't already, though I find most people kinda chill out eventually after a character/fanbase they dislike gets in).

Either way it's almost always vocal minority/echo chamber stuff that gets the biggest stink compared to those of us that just remain quietly hopeful, or just stop caring about speculation/doing the same old arguments/song and dance after a while. Debating and being passionate is fine, but some of us don't want to kill each other perceived importance of fictional characters (or are just getting too old for it) nor want to be associated with any of that noise.

I will say it takes a special kind of persistent to keep up with this rollercoaster stuff for as long as Geno has. It'd be nice to see some old friends/genuine fans of the idea get pleasantly surprised, if nothing else. Holding grudges because some people ruin it for others isn't something I think is worth the effort unless you're the Mileena stans
I think it's because the toxic side keeps getting vindicated and going on to the next thing they want, Ridley fans were super toxic but after those Sakurai comments people ended up being quiet. Then K.Rool fans got toxic, after K.Rool they went to Banjo whose fans acted toxic. Now Banjo's in and now the Geno fans are toxic. It's a cycle

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Bravely Default 2 is great, but 90% of Nintendo's presence in the show was: "Did you know that Nintendo Switch has GAMES?!"
nintendo: "switch has games"
me: "yes i know, i have many of them"
nintendo:

1576235739412.png

me: "very well i will fetch my wallet"

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm still really happy that my boi Dimitri got his classic line featured at VGA.

Him & Kirby would get along I feel.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it's because the toxic side keeps getting vindicated and going on to the next thing they want, Ridley fans were super toxic but after those Sakurai comments people ended up being quiet. Then K.Rool fans got toxic, after K.Rool they went to Banjo whose fans acted toxic. Now Banjo's in and now the Geno fans are toxic. It's a cycle
That's a fair way of looking at it.

I think part of the frustration for it also stems from fans of those characters also just having waited for as long as they have just to be thrown any kind of bone. Ridley's almost always brought back/at least will be in Metroid Prime Trilogy if it comes to Switch. Meanwhile there's no guarantee that being in Smash means K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie/Geno will be seen in their own series again any time soon (short of like straight ports of SNES/64 games being put on Switch).

It's not excuse to be spamming every Nintendo tweet and being rude about it, but it's understandable when there's already frustration for things like most of their mains clamoring for buffs. Kinda reminds of me of when Mewtwo got added back to Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

One last thing before I log off for today due to personal stuff.

The next DLC after X-Men has this name:

CE6B6102-1CAA-4FDA-82C2-3019BD0915C4.jpeg

And seeing how the current roster would now leave us with 5 spots missing in the character select screen, alongside the fact each DLC has had some sort of playable villain (Morbius and Phoenix)... I feel Dr.Doom is gonna be playable too.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Just wanna ask ya guys something:
Which new game are you getting next year?
I'm getting both Carrion and Maneater on my Xbox One.^-^ (both are looking awesome to play soon.)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So, I was asleep. Highlights of Game Awards. Go!
Death Stranding bias and no Smash reveal for Fighter 5, also Muppets with Untitled Goose Game.
(When I was watching this, the chat was so toxic spamming Smash Reveal and character requests. )

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
View attachment 252767

You should've seen this coming.
The Regginator turns the card over, revealing the Smash Bros. insignia.

”That’s right. I will be joining the battle in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate next year. My body is ready to smash. Stay tuned for more info on my inclusion.”

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Reading some stuff around, I just wanna get this off my chest:
If there's one thing I cannot stand in this fandom is people who play things safe all the time, consider every leak or rumor fake, then talk down to others who are more willing to take risks, within reason, if stuff doesnt pan out. If you're gonna sit on the Safe Bench the whole time and not even entertain the idea that it might be real, you don't get to lecture us that we set 'unrealistic expectations' and ****. Just stay in your comfy Kids Pool and enjoy the game. In the end you didn't win anything by playing it safe, you lost along with us. And I get there are those who indeed set the bar a little too high, you should always reserve some scepticism, but the majority of us try to stay reasonable.

Prime example: The Grinch leak. So much was going for it that turned out to be unfortunate fitting coincidences, so it was no surprise that a lot of us thought it might be real. I was one of them. But then these tossers came out of the woodwork who just played it safe despite everything that was going for it and were like "*chuckles* well that's what you smash players get for setting your expectations so high and believing everything you wanna believe". SCREW YOU.

Rant over. I need a Snickers.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
"Muppets crosses over with Untitled Goose Game" sounds like a low-effort meme, it had no right to be this good.
Imagine being a small indie studio, then the Jim Henson Workshop makes a puppet based off of your game. That must be pretty sick.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Am I the only who has a problem with the new Xbox?

It just looks like a chonky Xbone to me. Kinda wish it had it's own unique flair.

and wow... that name. "Xbox Series X". Nintendo has officially been dethroned as the king of bad console naming. They really should've stuck with scarlet

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm so happy about Three Houses like hot damn, man. :')
Three Houses getting the love it deserves
Wait, they locked Geno thread, too?

Damn, people really didn't take the lack of news well.
Nonthats because some user you all may know that starts with an S and ends with an E went in there and started stiring up **** along with other trolls coming in there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom