• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hops actually a decently well written character, y'all are just mean.

He's definitely better then that Let's Go kid who's name I can't remember.
Pokedex: “Apparently the Dreepy inside Dragapult's horns eagerly look forward to being launched out at Mach speeds”

View attachment 247779

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So what... some people are actually calling Infinite a spin-off to the other MVC titles due to it's gameplay, even though it brought back the classic 2v2 format introduced way back in X-Men vs. Street Fighter and also brought back the Infinity Gems/Stones which were a main mechanic in Marvel Super Heroes...

Say what?
People are just trying to find a way to banish it because it didn’t have the x-men in it. Which apparently makes it a terrible game.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
XY is the absolute worst of the series. Here’s my order:

1) Silver you can’t beat this man. He’s a **** with a heart of gold and cool ties to the lore of the game.
2) Black and Whites rivals between both games. They are all fun characters and pretty good. Cheren and Bianca really evolved between the two games.
Hugh I honestly barely remember.

3) Hop. Haven’t beaten the game yet but his arc is interesting, he seems to actually change and his team matches his arc at each point.

Bede and marnie I haven’t finished their stories so I’ll rank them later.

4)May/ Brendan: Eh they are alright. I only really care about May because the anime gave her a good personality and cool team. Her in game counterparts are average. Nothing crazy but being the professors kid was neat.

5)Hau and Gladion: Hau kinda sucks tbh, he’s annoying and really doesn’t contribute much to sun and moon. They tried to fix this late game but that wasn’t good enough imo. Gladion is just discount silver and only memorable for type null and being lusamines kid imo.

6)XY rivals: the absolute bottom of the barrel trash. They were almost non existent, did nothing, and honestly there were too many. The XY anime is the only reason I know who they are and I still could care less about them there.

Not put on here. Barry. I like Barry’s design, and team, but he can get a little annoying. He was still not that bad though.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"Just snip it off and voila! A beautiful baby girl!"
You just echoed the experience of thousands of poor intersex kids.
Well, roster WAS one of Infinite's downfalls, ngl.
Because there wasn’t ENOUGH of what was there. Characters new and old. The roster was just too small at launch and had very little polish.

But there is not a single problem with who actually made it in (except maybe Bucky and Gamora).

Shroob

Sup?
You just echoed the experience of thousands of poor intersex kids.

Because there wasn’t ENOUGH of what was there. Characters new and old. The roster was just too small at launch and had very little polish.

But there is not a single problem with who actually made it in (except maybe Bucky and Gamora).
Oh, no I agree just...

Yeah, cuts hurt and cutting the X-Men along with Fantastic 4 characters hurt, and that's not even to mention the Capcom side of things with characters like Ammy.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Pokemon rival ranking has been making a little trend from this on Twitter, though I can bet that a lot of fans would say that it's the X & Y rivals who are the worst.​
...Why do I get the feeling the criticisms on Hop seem to mostly come from Dexiters?

If we're talking about worst rivals, the XY rivals were much worse just for how forgettable they are. I'd say S/M Hau and the Gary-replacement in LGPE as well for being way too friendly with no clear character arc to make up for it.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Pokemon rival ranking has been making a little trend from this on Twitter, though I can bet that a lot of fans would say that it's the X & Y rivals who are the worst.​
I feel the issue with Hop is that he has too much presence across the story. The idea behind his arc is actually neat since he's supposed to realize that just because he's the Champion's brother doesn't mean he's destined for greatness and he has to find his own way. However, he's very present in the story to the point that it does feel like you can't walk a step without him being there, so that means that it can easily gets to the point where you're annoyed with him. It also doesn't help that even after his development starts his shift is done more through small steps in how it progresses so it doesn't fully reap the rewards of it until you get to the later stages of the game, and by that point it's not surprising that many overlooked how much he's grown and just wanted him to go away. So I feel if they cut some scenes here and there and/or shared a few of them with Bebe or Marnie he'd be better off since the overexposure would be much less of an issue.

With all that said, he's still better then the XY bunch.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh, no I agree just...

Yeah, cuts hurt and cutting the X-Men along with Fantastic 4 characters hurt, and that's not even to mention the Capcom side of things with characters like Ammy.
Seriously. Just release “Marvel vs. Capcom Ultimate” with every character from 3, Infinite, and Infinite’s planned DLC and your good. You could even still keep a handful of the dlc characters as dlc.

I’m still trying to put together a goid balanced MVC4/5 roster. But it’s so hard without going overboard on each side.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's either XY or Hop tbh.

MAYBE Barry, but Barry was funny, despite being amazingly obnoxious.

Hop just seems kinda universally hated by a LOT of people.

And I barely remember XY's except one wanted to dance and one wanted to study. They were soo bland.
The thing with Barry was that in addition to being more humorous with his over the top hyperactivity, he was also a very competent battler and had some postgame stuff dealing with Palmer, his dad. That helped endear him to a lot of people.

Also I'm one of the few who would absolutely defend Tierno lmao. Like he legitimately went through an arc, which automatically put him above, at the very least, Shauna, Trevor, and RSE Brendan/May.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Who

In the ever loving ****

are Swordward and Shielbert
Please tell me this isn't legit. Please tell me Squidward isn't actually in Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

So are Sword and Shield the first games where wild Eevelutions can be found? I was looking at Serebii and saw that they're all encounterable at the same place in the wild area

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Judging the rivals from the perspective of how they develop over the course of the story as the main factor, here is my personal listing.
Cheren and Bianca
Barry
Blue
Tierno
Silver
Wally
Gladion
Bede
Hugh
Marnie
Serena/Calem
Hau
Hop
May/Brendan, Shauna, Trevor
tl;dr, Cheren and Bianca are the gold standard for rival characters, bar none. Ones listed on the bottom line are garbage tier and really go through no notable changes at all over the course of the story.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Well yes but the same can also go to 4chan text leaks as well, they’re also no reason to believe them (for example the game awards leak on wendsday and drunk cat leak)
I guess speculation is believing everything then? I've not once said I believe the cat or game awards leaks.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Cheren and Bianca are the best rivals hands down. The reason being is that they're the most natural, the most realistic, being kids who want to find their own purpose in life, and don't attempt to impede your own progress, and they stick with you through thick and thin, helping you stop Team Plasma and all, legit joining in the fight if they notice you're being ambushed, and they straight up play off the world around them, being around gym leaders, professors, major and minor NPCs, and all of it comes off without being forced, like, it feels genuine.

Like, I think they did something similar with X&Y, but the main issue is that the friends had no motivation, arcs, and just felt tacked on.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One thing I will mention about Hop that I do like about his execution is that along with Gary (and post-game ORAS!Wally) he's the only Rival to actually switch around his Pokémon, and it's for a meaningful reason.

Once he loses so badly to Bebe he actually loses his way and starts switching out Pokemon to see what works for him, and it doesn't. He loses not only to you, but to the Gym Leaders as well and he falls behind. To drive the point even further home, he benches Wooloo for a time, his first Pokémon, that's how confused he gets. It's only when he starts to make his team consistent and put Wooloo back on that he starts to get better as a character and (though YMMV on your experience) as a battler and improves.

It's a story and gameplay integration element that I have to give the character credit for, particularly since its rare for Pokémon in general to allow the characters to switch up their teams at all.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
People are just trying to find a way to banish it because it didn’t have the x-men in it. Which apparently makes it a terrible game.
That was one reason. And a pretty big one. Many people did prefer 3v3, the story was disliked and so was the visuals. And yes, ignoring the franchise that started the VS series was dumb as hell. Because having an MCU focused roster didn't do **** for sales. The fact that it isn't called 4 kind of makes it easy to try and ignore. I get you don't like the X-Men much, but there's plenty of people that do.

For me personally, the soundtrack was the biggest disappointment. (Because I kind of KNEW Marvel was gonna be petty and make it an MCU fest. I didn't think it would stink up the OST too. But even the Capcom tracks were lame.)

I'll never forget how dirty Smash did Gladion's theme. Actually sounds like 2005 MIDI.
Highkey the one of the weakest remixes in the series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People had more issues with the game than the X Men not being there and people had issues with the roster beyond the lack of X Men and acting like that's the only reason is dishonest as hell

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You wanna know the true crime of Pokemon representation in Smash? There's 7 Gens of it by the time Ultimate came out, so every single gen is bound to get some love with characters, stages, and music. And they truly go all out with Pokemon remixes... most of the time.

But you wanna know how many songs from Gen 2 are in the entire series?

One.

And it's the same medley we've heard since 2001.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
While I do prefer Marvel 1's 2v2, I think to win much of the crowd over, they'd go back to 3v3 and the name would be Marvel 4. And obviously throw in a bunch of X-Men and Spider-Man characters. I really don't get the thought process of picking boring **** like Hawkeye, Bucky and Black Widow when you have Ant-Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Green Goblin, Mysterio and the rest of Spider-Man's mythos to pull from.

Again, I just hope the soundtrack is actually inspired next time. Because boring "cinematic" tracks and EDM versions of classic Capcom tracks are the exact opposite of what I wanted. Was hoping for jazzier and more rock styled music that games like MSH, MVC1 and DBFZ provided.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You wanna know the true crime of Pokemon representation in Smash? There's 7 Gens of it by the time Ultimate came out, so every single gen is bound to get some love with characters, stages, and music. And they truly go all out with Pokemon remixes... most of the time.

One.

Ho Oh’s theme is all wrapped up but they refuse.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

One.

It's actually kind of surprising we haven't had a proper/complete cover of VS. Red. It's probably one of the most iconic songs in the whole franchise, which says A LOT.

We don't get the best Gym theme either.

As far as Gen 5 goes, porting over the OG Reshiram/Zekrom theme, N's theme and Unova Elite 4 are what I'd want.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

One.

What music from those games would fit in a Smash game?

D

Deleted member

Random night thoughts, have you ever considered that somewhere in the world there's someone whose favorite Pokemon is Rattata and their name is not Joey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom