• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still stand that Grinch period> Google Theory period, not just in Smashboards but the internet as a whole.

At least Grinch didn’t push my long-gone suicidal thoughts and made some people harass me just for liking Dragon Quest and wanting a rep in. That without saying that Grinch didn’t took place during the worst period of my life as Google Theory did.

Not saying that Grinch was all flowers and rainbows (I know that some people were not as lucky as me), but from personal experience I can say that Grinch period ended quick.

D

Deleted member

would it be gauche (or some other better adjective) to get the ability to make a series based on a popular team with a lot of legacy and add your own OC to the lineup?
googling that word (gauche) brings up no good results, so dunno what you're suggesting.

from your context.... probably a good idea to just not even think about it, IMO.

edit: i forgot the U when I was googling it.. derp.

probably wouldn't want to even try, honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Anyway while I'm on the topic may as well give my thoughts on it.
I like Luigi's Mansion 3 a lot, but it still doesn't really capture the same magic that the original did. The atmosphere in that game is so much darker and more foreboding; The mansion feels like a much less welcoming environment than the hotel, and the ghosts feel like they exist almost for the sole purpose of trying to hurt Luigi. IMO the ghosts in Dark Moon and 3 lean a bit too much towards slapstick in both design, personality and mannerisms, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing (in fact I enjoy it at times) and could be argued to make the world feel more alive it's such a far departure from the first game.
Like you couldn't get away with **** like Bogmire in many Nintendo games. The dark tone of Luigi's Mansion made it special, and I can't help but feel that the new ones have lost a lot of that in the transition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I like Luigi's Mansion 3 a lot, but it still doesn't really capture the same magic that the original did. The atmosphere in that game is so much darker and more foreboding; The mansion feels like a much less welcoming environment than the hotel, and the ghosts feel like they exist almost for the sole purpose of trying to hurt Luigi. IMO the ghosts in Dark Moon and 3 lean a bit too much towards slapstick in both design, personality and mannerisms, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing (in fact I enjoy it at times) and could be argued to make the world feel more alive it's such a far departure from the first game.
Like you couldn't get away with **** like Bogmire in many Nintendo games. The dark tone of Luigi's Mansion made it special, and I can't help but feel that the new ones have lost a lot of that in the transition.
You say Bogmire

I counter with all the children ghosts.

Hell, they explicitly say Sue Pea died in her sleep, like, jfc Nintendo lol

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can't say I missed the Grinch days much, but it was a time to be alive. I do miss the chaos that came with it.

D

Deleted member

You say Bogmire

I counter with all the children ghosts.

Hell, they explicitly say Sue Pea died in her sleep, like, jfc Nintendo lol
Infant mortality is something I expect in Fire Emblem, not in my bing bing wahoo game

D

Deleted member

Man I loved House of Mouse as a kid, it was like Disney Smash bros.

I still get a kick out of Chernabog, who is like the actual devil, showing up as a patron of the House of Mouse night club.
It was even better.

The show revealed Chernabog’s biggest secret:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I still have yet to get LM3 because my birthday unfortunately is a month after the release and I don't even know if my family will gift it to me.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I honestly feel like a lot of that goes to the sound design of Luigi's Mansion 1. Aside from like the victory theme at the end of each major boss, there were no upbeat songs at all, instead being treated to a sinister sounding organ in the hallways, or in the outdoor areas, a dreadful piano piece. And in rooms were ghosts were in, total silence except for the creepy noises the ghost made. And a lot of those ghosts were mad creepy with the niises and mannerisms. Plus, when the portrait ghosts attack you, the music has a short loop that just screams danger, and when you're capturing ghosts of any kind, it's frantic and crazy, like you gotta get it done quick, which just gets crazier with the health depleting sound and the poison shrooms jumping all around.

Again, sound and music gies a long way in terms of atmosphere.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
would it be gauche (or some other better adjective) to get the ability to make a series based on a popular team with a lot of legacy and add your own OC to the lineup?
Depends on how well written and naturally they fit among the rest of the cast as well as how much development you put into them relative to the existing characters. You could easily end up making a Mary Sue or just a character that is just a useless addition.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I am not sure if they planned to go with making Luigi's Mansion 1 the way they made Luigi's Mansion 3, so I don't know if Luigi's Mansion 1 was supposed to be lighter and not so dark. Still, the way they made the first game in the series, they apparently made it better than the later games with how dark it was, maybe unintentionally, especially for a Mario game.

That said, did/does anyone play any Luigi's Mansion game...with the lights off...in the dark?

D

Deleted member

I usually have an okay time when I am involved in speculation, but I've never had that much fun with it.
Base game speculation I personally found it fun because things were going really smooth and the mood overall was peaceful.

Then ****ing Google Theory came in during DLC speculation, cursed the fandom with a toxic Artorias bandwaggon that didn’t do justice to real Dark Souls fans and started a witch hunt of people who wanted any sign of DQ in Smash.

And as I said, Google Theory came at the worst point of my life. A point where I was this close to ending myself because things were that ****ed and having most people online witch-hunting me over what I wanted in a game didn’t help at all.

But alas, the past is in the past and Google Theory died as it deserved to do so. Now I can only move forward.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, one of my favorite portait ghosts has to be the glutton who flat out ate himself to death. Like, everyone else has a "silly" way to their demise, but this guy just straight up had a heart attack and died on the spot.

AND he's STILL eating in his death.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Some Godzilla fan art from DevianART I found here:
Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah are real instead of being cgi or rubber suits. Oh and the guy with glasses is Mike Dougherty, who directed King of the Monsters along with the girl being Maddie from the movie.
Behind 1.png

Behind 2.png

Behind 3.png

Behind 4.png
Movie 1.png

Movie 2.png
The poses the two are doing comes from Calvin and Hobbes.
GM 1.png

GM 2.png

GM 3.png
Log Ride.jpg

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I like the tone of the orginal Luigi's Mansion more, but once I set aside nostalgia, I realized that there honestly isn't much that makes it superior to LM3. It's WAY shorter, the boss ghosts are honestly no less creative than the ones in LM3, there's barely anything to do outside the main story aside from looking in the gallery, the soundtrack consisted mainly of the main theme and the boss ghost themes, and the difficulty is pretty even with LM3 (aside from more hearts appearing in LM3).

Really, the only thing that I can say that was better is the spooky tone, which works well for Luigi's Mansion, but I can see why they chose the more cartoony style.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Base game speculation I personally found it fun because things were going really smooth and the mood overall was peaceful.

Then ****ing Google Theory came in during DLC speculation, cursed the fandom with a toxic Artorias bandwaggon that didn’t do justice to real Dark Souls fans and started a witch hunt of people who wanted any sign of DQ in Smash.

And as I said, Google Theory came at the worst point of my life. A point where I was this close to ending myself because things were that ****ed and having most people online witch-hunting me over what I wanted in a game didn’t help at all.

But alas, the past is in the past and Google Theory died as it deserved to do so. Now I can only move forward.
Google Theory was hilarious as they tried backpedaling the moment it was busted by saying "we never searched for Hero" AND "Artorias, actually, refers to Dark Souls DLC!" The first one is believable, but the second one is hilariously inept. Why didn't FighterZ or Mortal Kombat DLC show up then?

Shroob

Sup?
Also, one of my favorite portait ghosts has to be the glutton who flat out ate himself to death. Like, everyone else has a "silly" way to their demise, but this guy just straight up had a heart attack and died on the spot.

AND he's STILL eating in his death.
I dunno about that one fam.

Sue Pea going to bed and never waking up ain't that silly lol

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm just glad I was barely involved with the speculation process for the base game.
I remember being really disappointed with the base game newcomers to the point where I had low expectations for the dlc.

Thankfully the DLC ended up being from franchises I already liked so I guess it was a lesson in patience on my end.

D

Deleted member

It is just me, or is Smashboards getting filled with a good chunk of Godzilla content?

Because as a Godzilla fan, it feels just...

Nice >:]

D

Deleted member

I like the tone of the orginal Luigi's Mansion more, but once I set aside nostalgia, I realized that there honestly isn't much that makes it superior to LM3. It's WAY shorter, the boss ghosts are honestly no less creative than the ones in LM3, there's barely anything to do outside the main story aside from looking in the gallery, the soundtrack consisted mainly of the main theme and the boss ghost themes, and the difficulty is pretty even with LM3 (aside from more hearts appearing in LM3).

Really, the only thing that I can say that was better is the spooky tone, which works well for Luigi's Mansion, but I can see why they chose the more cartoony style.
I like the puzzles and the core gameplay more in LM3 for sure, and there's absolutely more reason to explore The Last Resort than there was to explore the mansion, but I'm just big on atmosphere and tone and the original nailed both for me.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, y'know?

D

Deleted member

Google Theory was hilarious as they tried backpedaling the moment it was busted by saying "we never searched for Hero" AND "Artorias, actually, refers to Dark Souls DLC!" The first one is believable, but the second one is hilariously inept. Why didn't FighterZ or Mortal Kombat DLC show up then?
Google Theory just took the goddam worst of the Smash fandom to the wild.

Needless to say, thank god it is over.

Never in my life do I want to see myself dealing with something like that ever again.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Sound design has always been the reason games stuck with me as a child growing up, and it's also why I tend to appreciate good sound design.

Wind Waker's foreboding and tense music chiming in rhythm with every strike to an enemy in a pattern of 4 and 4, Melee's selection sound and the music in general, LM's main theme with Luigi humming it and the ghastly sounds that play in a dark and (seemingly) empty room, and more are all great examples of good, memorable sound design.

Shroob

Sup?

Never in my life do I want to see myself dealing with something like that ever again.
At the end of the day, not only did you get Dragon Quest, but Eight as well.

Hold your head high, you won lol

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Nowhere near as bad as Grinch hoax. We even had an influx of new members that we never saw again the moment it busted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Memorable ghosts in the orginal Luigi's Mansion?

I'm surprised no one brought up the creepy nana who floats around the room in a rocking chair and screams like a maniac when you try to vacuum her.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Hey, quick question for any Tekken fans here:

What's the best platform to get Tekken 7 on? Wanna look into that game at some point but I'm unsure if I should go PC or PS4.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About memorable ghosts in Luigi's Mansion 1, I would have to say the last one before King Boo, the artist guy. He just wanted to be a good artist. Poor guy...

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, bronies, fun fact! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
1573610017771.png
(I seriously don't get why they had to anthro the MLP MC's, was super dumb, IMO)

Shroob

Sup?
For real tho **** the toy soldiers.

Getting a perfect while trying to dodge 2 cork guns and poison mushrooms was hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom