• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
As others have said, what does that mean for absolute classics like Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Red & Blue, or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Banjo-Kazooie? DOOM? Halo 1?

The graphics to all of those, comparatively, are trash compared to the games of today. Yet, few games today truly reach the same heights as these classics have because the gameplay doesn't do enough to make you come back for more.

For a more recent example, if we're talking about the graphics of a game like The Witcher 3, which is evidently a great game all around (haven't played it, so I can't judge it), if graphics are that important, what does that say about Undertale?

I mean, let's be totally fair here. Dragon Quest XIS has some issues, but it's mainly that there were changes that had to be made compared to the far prettier PS4 version. The Witcher 3 on Switch, from what I have read, has...some issues.

I'm not justifying Game Freak dropping the ball, because I agree with you: There really isn't an excuse for this type of screw up, and then to lie about the reason for cutting is that much worse. I wouldn't even say I'm giving them a pass. Sure, I'm buying the game. But I've become wary of Game Freak, and seeing that, yes, they're more incompetent than we actually thought.

Perhaps, but I would argue the way the game plays is the most important. The art style of Infinite was pretty garbo to begin with, but the redeeming quality, the only one I have heard of anyway, is the gameplay.

I guess my biggest lynchpin to the argument is that if graphics mattered nearly as much as people say, then the classics of the past wouldn't be as highly regarded as they are now, and Indie games wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Its not the graphics that we are tearing apart, it is the lack of effort and polish.

Want to know why all of those classics you mentioned are still loved to this day? Gameplay is important, yes. But it was the love and passion that these devs put into those projects with what little resources they had. Even playing these games today, they still feel pretty polished imo.

Sword & Shield has had virtually none of that love put into it, as evidenced by everything we have seen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Currently watching an episode of Life After People.

Anyone ever heard of that documentary or the special Aftermath: Population Zero?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's really starting to get cold here, even freezing during the nights, I miss spring and to a lesser extend summer already.
Mind you. I actually love the cold. Maybe because I was born on the first day of winter.

D

Deleted member

If you do it, I’m sharing it at the official Thumbs Up Ken DIscord.

And yes, that place exists and is epic.
Heh, maybe I'll indeed do something tomorrow, but right now it's 2am, a bit too late for me.

Mind you. I actually love the cold. Maybe because I was born on the first day of winter.
I'm actually kinda weird when it comes to this kinda stuff. Like, I'm very cold resistant and anything over 25°C gives me a headache, yet i still prefer summer over winter, despite not being able to handle it very well. Kinda sucks.

D

Deleted member

Well, before I'm going to bed, I just wanna say how nice it is to see SNK becoming much more mainstream thanks to Terry in Smash. Also I still need to play KoF 14, I bought it last year around Christmas an still haven't touched it yet.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Heh, maybe I'll indeed do something tomorrow, but right now it's 2am, a bit too late for me.

I'm actually kinda weird when it comes to this kinda stuff. Like, I'm very cold resistant and anything over 25°C gives me a headache, yet i still prefer summer over winter, despite not being able to handle it very well. Kinda sucks.
It actually is kind of weird. I am much of an opposite. I don't hate Summer, but I hate the heat. I am cold resistant, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, before I'm going to bed, I just wanna say how nice it is to see SNK becoming much more mainstream thanks to Terry in Smash. Also I still need to play KoF 14, I bought it last year around Christmas an still haven't touched it yet.
Same mood with Dragon Quest as a fan of that series.

I owe Smash a lot.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Bruh, they can't leave the Han Solo and Greedo scene ALONE lol.

MacClunkey? What?
with all the edits done, comparing the latest revision to the original makes it look like a downright mess

it's like... far longer than it should be

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What was even the message of Toy Story 4? Ditch everyone you love because you wanna bang someone?

I mean, ok.
My best guess was "nothing lasts forever, sometimes you gotta move on from what you've come to know and love"

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, call me nostalgia blind, but fir some reason, my favorite design if the ghosts from Luigi's Mansion were the ines from the first game. I don't know if it was inferior hardware or some sort of filter applied to the model, but they just have a distinct look that the sequels don't really replicate.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
As others have said, what does that mean for absolute classics like Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Red & Blue, or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Banjo-Kazooie? DOOM? Halo 1?

The graphics to all of those, comparatively, are trash compared to the games of today. Yet, few games today truly reach the same heights as these classics have because the gameplay doesn't do enough to make you come back for more.
Why is this an argument? The games you mentioned were limited by their hardware of their time, and ran and looked beautiful back then as they maximized what they had at their disposal.

Sword and Shield genuinely runs at 15fps at certain points and re-uses 3DS animations. Textures are missing, and they have cutscenes that look like early 2000s stop-motion animation. It looks like a GameCube game in these areas.

For a more recent example, if we're talking about the graphics of a game like The Witcher 3, which is evidently a great game all around (haven't played it, so I can't judge it), if graphics are that important, what does that say about Undertale?
Graphics have context. The visual style is key. Sword and Shield do not have a pleasing style in areas like the wild area and battle backgrounds, nor is it consistent. Undertale has a style that fits and is consistent throughout the game.

I guess my biggest lynchpin to the argument is that if graphics mattered nearly as much as people say, then the classics of the past wouldn't be as highly regarded as they are now, and Indie games wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
The difference is that they said they removed content to improve the animations and graphics. They did not do that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, call me nostalgia blind, but fir some reason, my favorite design if the ghosts from Luigi's Mansion were the ines from the first game. I don't know if it was inferior hardware or some sort of filter applied to the model, but they just have a distinct look that the sequels don't really replicate.
Nah I agree with you. The ghosts in the new ones feel too close to the normal Mario asthetic in design while the old ones felt like their own thing.
Same thing for the portrait/boss ghosts, the boss ghosts 3 are way more cartoony in design than the portrait ghosts of old.

Last edited by a moderator:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Why is this an argument? The games you mentioned were limited by their hardware of their time, and ran and looked beautiful back then as they maximized what they had at their disposal.

Sword and Shield genuinely runs at 15fps at certain points and re-uses 3DS animations. Textures are missing, and they have cutscenes that look like early 2000s stop-motion animation. It looks like a GameCube game in these areas.

Graphics have context. The visual style is key. Sword and Shield do not have a pleasing style in areas like the wild area and battle backgrounds, nor is it consistent. Undertale has a style that fits and is consistent throughout the game.

The difference is that they said they removed content to improve the animations and graphics. They did not do that.

Couldn’t have said all of that any better myself.

Shroob

Sup?
Nah I agree with you. The ghosts in the new ones feel too close to the normal Mario asthetic in design while the old ones felt like their own thing.
Same thing for the portrait/boss ghosts, the boss ghosts 3 are way more cartoony in design than the portrait ghosts of old.
Aight but Morty is the goodest ghost boi ever.

D

Deleted member

Aight but Morty is the goodest ghost boi ever.
You're objectively correct which is why he is free from my criticism towards LM3 in this regard.
I still have to capture him for 100% but I'm not sure I can endure that kind of heartbreak.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You're objectively correct which is why he is free from my criticism towards LM3 in this regard.
I still have to capture him for 100% but I'm not sure I can endure that kind of heartbreak.
I mean, you had to capture the Fortuneteller from Luigi's Mansion 1, and she was the MVP of the game considering that she advanced the plot by a ton.

Then again, that's what she wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom