• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I mean.... I'm glad that this bit of clarity was made because it means the leak is still in the running, it just doesn't apply to Fighter Pack 5.

But it still doesn't fill me with confidence about who fighter pack 5 is.

There are still a few completely unexpected characters that it could be. Frogger, Carmen Sandiego, Chell, Someone from Borderlands, Scorpion, Kratos. But like, what are the odds of it being one of them? And does that actually increase their chances because they're so unlikely and unexpected.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Pff, I'm not going to ask them to pay for the whole thing lol, I'm just telling them instead of getting gifts I'd be better with the money, that's what most people who are self sustainable at my age need anywho. They understand.
Oh I thought you were gonna go right up to thrm and ask for money. My parents just give me money or gift cards and socks on christmas. we stopped doing big **** years ago

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Oh ****ing hell!

I went to turn on my 3DS and both screens are blank but I can still hear the menu music.

I better not be screwed.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I mean.... I'm glad that this bit of clarity was made because it means the leak is still in the running, it just doesn't apply to Fighter Pack 5.

There are still a few completely unexpected characters that it could be. Frogger, Carmen Sandiego, Chell, Someone from Borderlands, Scorpion, Kratos. But like, what are the odds of it being one of them? And does that actually increase their chances because they're so unlikely and unexpected.
Carmen Sandiego is a weird choice to throw in, where in the world is that coming from?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Maybe that's just me, but I don't see how being unexpected along will give a character better reception than being... you know, actually popular.

Not saying you can't have both, but it feels like you're too focused on unpredictability.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Carmen Sandiego is a weird choice to throw in, where in the world is that coming from?
I saw someone joke about it last night and the more I thought about it the more I thought it sounded like a good idea to the point I actually want the character.
Maybe that's just me, but I don't see how being unexpected along will give a character better reception than being... you know, actually popular.

Not saying you can't have both, but it feels like you're too focused on unpredictability.
Only because it's the game awards. It needs to be big, it needs to be unpredictable, and it needs to not feel safe. And if it's not a character who fits those criteria, I'm not saying they shouldn't be in, but I am saying they should save it for a place where the expectations aren't as high.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well, it's time to go to work.

Dark Souls is really fun, but confusing. I'm gonna have to look up a guide on the stats and pyromancer later.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Unpredictability is fine, but not all the time.

Saying Resident Evil or Tekken, or Devil May Cry wouldn’t be a good TGA reveal implies that western gaming fans wouldn’t be excited by any of those picks, but we know that’s not really true.

I’m not entirely sure, but I think it could go either way. Adding a pick like Dante or Leon would be a huge acquisition for Smash. Very likely wouldn’t be disappointing either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, we can still speculate on who will be at TGA, so there’s still that.

Sabi says fighter 5 isn’t Crash, Tracer, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa or Geno. Let’s assume Spirits at least disconfirm fighters for the first 5 (though I believe that it won’t change post-fighter 5).

We have these characters from untouched series:

Leon/Jill (Resident Evil)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Heihachi (Tekken)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Lloyd Irving (Tales)
Yuri Lowell (Tales, though I think Lloyd has the edge)
2B (Nier Automata)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Geralt (Not sure about him, technically not a “gaming” character)

There are others, but I feel these ones are relatively interesting picks. Some are big picks with legacy, some are newer.

I’m sure there are a few I’m missing. I personally think Leon/Jill and Dante have the edge as Capcom picks, but I have mentioned that many times, but others may have differing opinions. Heihachi would be the last major fighting game character to really match up with Terry and Ryu. 2B could be a surprise like Joker, but with the Mai Shiranui comments I’m not sure if she’s prime for “good boys and girls”.

Lloyd has gotten specific mention by Sakurai with Tales, and it takes more than popularity for a character to get in, which is why I don’t know that Yuri will get in over him.

Geralt getting in entirely depends on, I suppose, the philosophy of being a “gaming” character. The gaming version of Geralt seems to have become his very own thing, being perhaps more well known than his novel counterpart. He’s already crossed over into Soul Calibur. Who knows?

What do you think?
Personally, I'd throw Ezio Auditore onto the pile.

Assassin's Creed is an incredibly popular and influential video game series, Ezio himself is the most well-known and popular assassin, the series is one of the few Western franchises with a strong Japanese following (to the point where Ubisoft puts a ton of effort into the Japanese localization), and Bandai-Namco has been able to put him in a fighting game in the past, with Soul Calibur 5. Add in Nintendo's strong relationship with Ubisoft and Ubisoft already having a foot in Smash's door (with the Rayman and Rabbids spirits), and I think he has a fairly strong case.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only because it's the game awards. It needs to be big, it needs to be unpredictable, and it needs to not feel safe. And if it's not a character who fits those criteria, I'm not saying they shouldn't be in, but I am saying they should save it for a place where the expectations aren't as high.
"Needs to be"? According to who?

If you make up rules and expect Nintendo to follow them, you'll inevitably going to end up disappointed.

Also, Smash community's expectations are so consistently high and varied that I don't think which character you reveal there makes too much difference as long as the pick makes sense on its own.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Unpredictability is fine, but not all the time.

Saying Resident Evil or Tekken, or Devil May Cry wouldn’t be a good TGA reveal implies that western gaming fans wouldn’t be excited by any of those picks, but we know that’s not really true.

I’m not entirely sure, but I think it could go either way. Adding a pick like Dante or Leon would be a huge acquisition for Smash. Very likely wouldn’t be disappointing either.
Yeah, people are forgetting the fact that unexpected doesn't apply to just us. In fact it probably applies less so to us than it ever has since we're accustomed to leaks and privy to what's NOT happening and what is possible to happen.

Most people probably don't see Leon or Dante or a Dark Souls character happening. We can because we've become accustomed to speculating around who is and isn't possible. All three of those and more will do gangbusters for the TGA Audience.
Personally, I'd throw Ezio Auditore onto the pile.

Assassin's Creed is an incredibly popular and influential video game series, Ezio himself is the most well-known and popular assassin, the series is one of the few Western franchises with a strong Japanese following (to the point where Ubisoft puts a ton of effort into the Japanese localization), and Bandai-Namco has been able to put him in a fighting game in the past, with Soul Calibur 5. Add in Nintendo's strong relationship with Ubisoft and Ubisoft already having a foot in Smash's door (with the Rayman and Rabbids spirits), and I think he has a fairly strong case.
giphy (2).gif

I've been trying to point this out for a while now.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"Needs to be"? According to who?

If you made up rules and expect Nintendo to follow them, you'll inevitably going to end up disappointed.

Also, Smash community's expectations are so consistently high and varied that I don't think which character you reveal there makes to much difference as long as the pick makes sense on its own.
I'm not thinking about the Smash community. We would be fine with whoever. It's the casual market (Smash has the largest casual playerbase of any fighting game), the people who were mad at Hero for being an "anime swordsman". The people who probably are still expecting DoomSlayer because they don't follow the leaks. I don't want it to be a big character for my sake, I won't be disappointed by anyone I could think of. I want them to be spared the backlash of the casual audience who's expecting something big at a big event like The Game Awards when they actually get something small and safe. Mainly because I don't want another years worth of angry people on twitter ranting about how the game awards only gave us "old man ryu" or whatever.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Is there a void I can just shout about how fun Terry is into

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, people are forgetting the fact that unexpected doesn't apply to just us. In fact it probably applies less so to us than it ever has since we're accustomed to leaks and privy to what's NOT happening and what is possible to happen.

Most people probably don't see Leon or Dante or a Dark Souls character happening. We can because we've become accustomed to speculating around who is and isn't possible. All three of those and more will do gangbusters for the TGA Audience.

I've been trying to point this out for a while now.
Except for maybe Dark Souls, those picks are still safe. They're something that you could come up with in less then 5 seconds. And that's not what the Game Awards are for in the eyes of the public. They're for blowing people's minds. And you can't do that with a safe choice.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Except for maybe Dark Souls, those picks are still safe. They're something that you could come up with in less then 5 seconds. And that's not what the Game Awards are for in the eyes of the public. They're for blowing people's minds. And you can't do that with a safe choice.
The audience at the game awards will be mostly casuals to Smash. Announcing a "safe" Smash pick to them would be a monumental event.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think you're downplaying the fact that surprise doesn't mean that NO ONE saw it coming. It just means that it keeps people on their toes. It doesn't have to be an out of nowhere pick like Reimu or Kos-Mos or something like that. Seeing Leon Kennedy or Dante in Smash is going to shock people no matter how "safe" of a pick they are.

My money is on a Dark Souls character or Ezio but you're seriously dismissing way too many possibilities just because you deem them safe when, in actuality, safe doesn't necessarily mean unsurprising.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
If the last reveal really is at TGA, then I’d lean towards it being a Capcom character. As one of the biggest video game developers of all time, nearly any character from the company is guaranteed to catch attention, and most of their iconic cast are popular in both the West and the East. The company has also had plenty of recognition this year with several major releases from their most popular franchises, many of which will be nominations at TGA itself.

Of course, it could be plenty of other characters. A Dark Souls character or the previously mentioned Ezio spring to mind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ARE YOU OKAY?

Whiff Buster Wolf.
Raw Buster Wolf is a power move
Gotta throw it out there to make sure they know who's in charge
Is there a void I can just shout about how fun Terry is into
I'm not a huge fan of how the shotos play in this game so I wasn't hoping for much from Terry but goddamn did he exceed my expectations. :ultbanjokazooie: are still my babies when it comes to DLC but Terry is a very close second

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Raw Buster Wolf is a power move
Gotta throw it out there to make sure they know who's in charge

I'm not a huge fan of how the shotos play in this game so I wasn't hoping for much from Terry but goddamn did he exceed my expectations. :ultbanjokazooie: are still my babies when it comes to DLC but Terry is a very close second
Me when Terry is under my control and comeback mechanic is online:

POWA GUYSAH, POWA GUYSAH, POWA GU-

I hated how pointless that portion of the story was.
Let's be honest here, if you reach 100% and don't spam either Power Geyser or Buster Wolf, you ain't playing the game like Sakurai intented.
DCdxgDz.png

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The only Terry command input I've learned is the command input version of his side special. I suck at everything else, haha

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not thinking about the Smash community. We would be fine with whoever. It's the casual market (Smash has the largest casual playerbase of any fighting game), the people who were mad at Hero for being an "anime swordsman". The people who probably are still expecting DoomSlayer because they don't follow the leaks. I don't want it to be a big character for my sake, I won't be disappointed by anyone I could think of. I want them to be spared the backlash of the casual audience who's expecting something big at a big event like The Game Awards when they actually get something small and safe. Mainly because I don't want another years worth of angry people on twitter ranting about how the game awards only gave us "old man ryu" or whatever.
I don't think I follow your logic. How does "safe" equals to "small"?

As multiple people noted, a lot of "safe" picks like a Resident Evil or a Tales character would be pretty big names by themselves.

Also, I think a lot of your statements about casual fanbase is skewed and overgeneralizing, but whatever.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Well, it's time to go to work.

Dark Souls is really fun, but confusing. I'm gonna have to look up a guide on the stats and pyromancer later.
If you want some guidance/tips without risking spoiling yourself on anything, I can provide you the advice you need. I've spent hundreds of hours in all three Dark Souls games across many different playthroughs.

If you picked Pyromancer, that's a tough one to go with, especially on a first playthrough. Using any kind of magic is a bit technical and requires proper execution or else you're gonna get slapped. Also, because some enemies have certain resistances, some will be resistant to fire and will require you to have backup attacks. I forgot about that the one time I tried a Pyromancer build a couple years ago, and came up to one of the earlier bosses who is fire-based, and realized I had no alternative form of attack. That basically killed my playthrough.

If you're not too far into the game, I'd recommend starting over with a different build, unless you really want to do pyromancy. But pyromancy is a unique magic in the games in that it doesn't require the same stats as the other forms, so you don't even need to be specifically a pyromancer class or specced out in a certain way to use it. You can be a Knight or whatever and get the pyromancy tools and spells later without disrupting much of anything.

As for stats, it depends on what kind of playstyle you want. The only hard and fast rule is to never level up Resistance. It's an absolutely worthless stat relative to all the others.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
On the topic of Ubisoft, while my most wanted from them will always be Rayman, the Prince of Persia, even if he hasn't really done much in years, would be cool as ****

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The only Terry command input I've learned is the command input version of his side special. I suck at everything else, haha
Just do that motion twice and you'll be busting wolves in no time.

So #ThankYouGameFreak is the number one trending thing on Twitter rn.

U.S. Twitter that is
A lot of those tweets are a pretty uplifting read, ngl.

I can feel the money loosening from my wallet already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom