• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I wonder how you took Sakurai saying "No, absolutely no non-gaming characters" yet again recently[/QUOTE]
Sorry this is a reply

It is literally in the requirements for becoming a fighter. They need to have first appeared in a videogame.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It is literally in the requirements for becoming a fighter. They need to have first appeared in a videogame.
Some people have a loose interpretation of "needs to have appeared in a video game", believing that if a character appears in a video game at all, then it makes them eligible - we'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Ultimate's literally the best selling fighting game of all time so it certainly won't die. They intended to have third party characters since Melee, the whole "It needs to strictly be Nintendo!" thing is honestly incredibly dull and makes Smash lose a lot of appeal

To be fair a lot of the franchise's characterization in those matters are subtle and expanded upon in extra background material. Like how the incredibly foulmouthed Nero doesn't swear around Kyrie and spends his free time helping her at an orphanage. It doesn't catch your eye immediately but when Nero saw Vergil at the beginning of the game, his first thought was "Damn this guy looks like ****, he's probably homeless and starving, I'll offer him food, that should do him good".

I wonder how you took Sakurai saying "No, absolutely no non-gaming characters" yet again recently
I guess it's just too subtle to me. Because I was ready to start going on about how DMC proper has almost never had a good story to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, so for everyone here that hasn't heard yet, I thought I should put this here too...
Alright, here's the deal. So I've been doing some thinking, right

...And yeah, I think I'm female.
So, uh...
I must have missed it. Congrats!

D

Deleted member

Some people have a loose interpretation of "needs to have appeared in a video game", believing that if a character appears in a video game at all, then it makes them eligible - we'll leave it at that.
Yo can we get the Simpsons as DLC?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I guess it's just too subtle to me. Because I was ready to start going on about how DMC proper has almost never had a good story to me.
Look at this video if you want to get a good idea as to why DMC3 character writting is great. Or at the very least why Vergil is such a great character.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay, so for everyone here that hasn't heard yet, I thought I should put this here too...

So, uh...
Welcome to the club!

In all seriousness, congratulations. It takes a lot of courage to realize this kind of thing. My DM's are open if you want to talk.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh that's just a fact, the franchise lives off of being a ridiculous over the top B movie.

Also I remember that although i's anime-inspired, the American made RWBY had stuff like this too with the constant buildup to two of the titular characters ending up dating. Some people missed that during the ENTIRE show despite the creator saying "Yeah we want this to slowly build up like how teens explore themselves realistically" and just went "Bah it's forced the creator is rolling in his grave now"

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970

So, uh...
wait, were you ever not?

I have some advice for you, buddy
This automatically loops and it's mildly disturbing (?)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh that's just a fact, the franchise lives off of being a ridiculous over the top B movie.

Also I remember that although i's anime-inspired, the American made RWBY had stuff like this too with the constant buildup to two of the titular characters ending up dating. Some people missed that during the ENTIRE show despite the creator saying "Yeah we want this to slowly build up like how teens explore themselves realistically" and just went "Bah it's forced the creator is rolling in his grave now"
Soooooo..... what. Can storytelling be good if it's so subtle that lots of people don't think it's even there?

Noipoi

Howdy!
EARLY 2000'S KIDS RISE THE **** UP
Alright this is obviously not for me so I probably won’t be watching it, but-

1. It actually looks good, not like that crap PPG remake.

2. I’m glad kids today will get to grow up with Blue. My mom’s got friends who have kids who I adore, I hope they’ll come to love Blue’s Clues like I did.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
DMC is a great exercise in exploring the delicate balance between drama and camp. While we're laughing at the characters' ridiculous antics, we're also unironically invested in them and like to see what they do in relation to the story.

I'd say the only series that achieves that level of self-awareness and makes an actual attempt at making a proper story that it itself tries to take seriously, would be Metal Gear, especially MGS3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who else couldn't for the life of themselves pull off that Mushroom Kingdom U glitch in Smash 4?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The belief that ARMS and Xenoblade 2 are too new to be DLC as well, plus Inkling fans had to wait for Ultimate.
The first point applies to Three Houses and Pokemon SS as well though, so it can't just be that as otherwise we wouldn't be discussing them either. Also I feel that ARMs and XC2 are more just in the awkward position of being too new for the base game, but also too old for DLC, particularly since both did get content in the base game proper. Something like Astral Chains doesn't have that issue since they are in a later timeframe and thus may be more viable options for newcomers and new content. The Inklings point is a better point, particularly with the IPs coming out this year, but it is just one instance to be working off of so there's no guarantee that Inkling's treatment in the last DLC cycle will carry over to this one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Soooooo..... what. Can storytelling be good if it's so subtle that lots of people don't think it's even there?
There's a certain rule often used in writing, "Show, don't tell". Although the rule is usually used to say "Don't say that this characters is a badass warrior, show us that the character is a badass warrior", by using subtle things you can make characters more fleshed out than by outright saying it. Even the smallest of things can lead to so much. By having a character hesitate to kill off an evil monster, you imply that there's something deeply concerning the character be it a personal relationship with said monster, the character questioning if they're morally justified with murder, etc. It's what made the Watchmen and Killing Joke comics what they were, I'm sure you know the latter example at least so I'll use an example from it. The framing of the panels of Commissioner Gordon moving past Twoface's cell not only has a tease of the duality of Batman and Joker, but also makes it seem like Gordon wants to ignore him but can't help but look back at his old friend Harvey Dent, feeling sorry for what he's become

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey, folks. How's everyone doing today?
EARLY 2000'S KIDS RISE THE **** UP
Way more upbeat than the original intro, but they didn't try to make it "hip and relevant". That alone is wonderful. I like how it largely keeps to the style of the original, and that just about every major animated character's making return.

I have some faith in this show. I adored Blue's Clues as a kid and it'll be nice to know that a new generation can grow up with a new but still charming and educational iteration of it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think PSASBR's faults were it was missing all the characters that people consider classic Playstation icons and that it's Super Kills only system drastically reduced the viable characters to only those who could combo into their level 1.

A second attempt with a larger budget, a more tuned combat system and more willingness to stand up to stupid 3rd party demands (Reboot Dante anyone?) could be a great alternate to Smash.
A number of things I want to see in a potential sequel
-A bigger roster that has some more recognizable faces as well as bring back a few dead or obscure ones
-more streamlined combat system that is less all over the place and make sense with the directions needed to perform them, making the attacks easier to learn multiple characters and lowering the barrier of entry for new players.
-allow for more options to kill opponents other than Supers (thus making the rival fights much less of a drag)
-more varied stage layouts (invasions can stay)

I’m sure there’s a few more but these were the big changes I had in mind
Ape Escape-Spike
Battle Arena Toshinde-Eiji Shinjo
BioShock-Big Daddy, Elizabeth
Bloodborne-The Hunter

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night-Alucard
Crash Bandicoot-Crash Bandicoot, Coco Bandicoot, Dr. Neo Cortex
Dead Space-Isaac Clarke
Devil May Cry V-Dante
Doko Demo Issyo-Toro Inoue
Fat Princess-Fat Princess
Gex-Gex
God of War-Kratos, Zeus
Gravity Rush-Kat
Heavenly Sword-Nariko
Horizon Zero Dawn-Aloy
Infamous-Cole MacGrath, Delsin Rowe
Jak and Daxter-Jak and Daxter
Jumping Flash-Robbit
Killzone-Colonel Radec
Knack-Knack
The Last of Us-Ellie

LittleBigPlanet-Sackboy
MediEvil-Sir Daniel Fortesque
Metal Gear-Raiden
Nioh-William
Oddworld-Abe
PaRappa the Rapper-Parappa
Ratchet & Clank-Ratchet & Clank, Captain Quark
Rayman-Rayman
Resident Evil-Jill Valentine

Roscoe McQueen Firefighter Extreme-Roscoe McQueen
Sly Cooper-Sly Cooper, Murphy, Bentley
Spyro the Dragon-Spyro
Syphon Filter-Gabriel Logan

Starhawk-Emmett Graves
Tearaway-Iota/Atoi
Tekken-Heihachi Mishima
Tomb Raider-Lara Croft
Twisted Metal-Sweet Tooth
Um Jammer Lammy-Lammy
Uncharted-Nathan Drake

Wild Arms-Rudy Roughnight

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
you know that reverse harem game im playing and randomly talking about? The nickname Chinese fans gave the game is "Four male lovers whom I sold off my last cooking pot for, yet still can’t afford to keep.”"
aka
"Being so thirsty for your 4 male mistresses that you sell off your very important instument to have them but you still cant have them"

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There's a certain rule often used in writing, "Show, don't tell". Although the rule is usually used to say "Don't say that this characters is a badass warrior, show us that the character is a badass warrior", by using subtle things you can make characters more fleshed out than by outright saying it. Even the smallest of things can lead to so much. By having a character hesitate to kill off an evil monster, you imply that there's something deeply concerning the character be it a personal relationship with said monster, the character questioning if they're morally justified with murder, etc. It's what made the Watchmen and Killing Joke comics what they were, I'm sure you know the latter example at least so I'll use an example from it. The framing of the panels of Commissioner Gordon moving past Twoface's cell not only has a tease of the duality of Batman and Joker, but also makes it seem like Gordon wants to ignore him but can't help but look back at his old friend Harvey Dent, feeling sorry for what he's become
Right. I know that. I’m studying film, let’s not forget. But I feel like the storytelling in DMCV was “don’t show, don’t tell, read the characters minds”.

I think PSASBR's faults were it was missing all the characters that people consider classic Playstation icons and that it's Super Kills only system drastically reduced the viable characters to only those who could combo into their level 1.

A second attempt with a larger budget, a more tuned combat system and more willingness to stand up to stupid 3rd party demands (Reboot Dante anyone?) could be a great alternate to Smash.
Did you check out the thread I made showcasing my idea for a sequel and it’s roster?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, uh...
Congratulations! I am very happy to hear this news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom