• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The idea is based on

British scientists haphazardly putting fossils together and incorrectly arranging different specimens into a non-sensical creature. I've seen complaints about the Frankenstein concept, but that's the point. Hell, some cryptids were accidentally created through this flub IRL. I find it interesting how these are the first ever Pokémon to:
-Get this close to being fusions
-Might reference the hilarious fusion generator the fandom is known for
-Be part of a line-up of four incomplete creatures we have no records of in-universe apart from being discovered half-way

Pretty much, one infamous example (though not British) is the "Bone Wars" where two rival Paleontologists (Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh) got ridiculously competitive with each other and tried to outdo the other by finding the most species. While it did lead to many new species, one of the negative effects of their competitiveness with each other was that in their haste to beat each other they haphazardly threw together bones to quickly get another new species under their belt, and that and the resulting descriptions ended up leading to misinformation about those species for years that had to be cleaned up by future Paleontologists.

So something like this is a very interesting take since it shows a different side to Paleontology and the history of it. There have been cases where new species are 'found' that didn't exist or species are given traits that they never had, and having something like that in Pokemon is a great concept on top of allowing for some fun experimentation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ugh, Daylight Savings Time is a pain. Because of the change in time, it makes it so that the nighttime (it is nighttime here) now seems longer, keyword, seems. I'll live with it, though.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
New theory: Our final fighter in the pass is the protagonist from Yandere Simulator.

Stage: Uh... the school she attends?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Ugh, Daylight Savings Time is a pain. Because of the change in time, it makes it so that the nighttime (it is nighttime here) now seems longer, keyword, seems. I'll live with it, though.
Yeah.

You've only been dealing with it for what, 31 years by now?

Shroob

Sup?
Another thing, that I actually find ****ing smart about

The Vish half of Arctovish

Is that it's based on the

Dunkleosteus

And much like the head on its body being upside down, for over 100 years after its discovery, its fossil record actually had its head upside down

iirc

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Pretty much, one infamous example (though not British) is the "Bone Wars" where two rival Paleontologists (Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh) got ridiculously competitive with each other and tried to outdo the other by finding the most species. While it did lead to many new species, one of the negative effects of their competitiveness with each other was that in their haste to beat each other they haphazardly threw together bones to quickly get another new species under their belt, and that and the resulting descriptions ended up leading to misinformation about those species for years that had to be cleaned up by future Paleontologists.

So something like this is a very interesting take since it shows a different side to Paleontology and the history of it. There have been cases where new species are 'found' that didn't exist or species are given traits that they never had, and having something like that in Pokemon is a great concept on top of allowing for some fun experimentation.
To hit the nail on the head even further...

literal children and teenagers are the ones being told to mix and match these creatures together, even though they – and by extension the Pokéntologists themselves – have no business doing so in-universe. The only thing stopping it from being unethical is that these fossils are already dead. They're probably testing the limits of genetics to see if anything sticks. Just imagine even the semi-serious implication that there are wild Pokémon who lose limbs, so this technology they have can help save lives by performing limb replacements. Come to think of it, Silvally precedes the concept by a few years by being made up of several unconfirmed species of Pokémon, being a Chimera/Griffon/Homunculus thing and all.

D

Deleted member

To hit the nail on the head even further...

literal children and teenagers are the ones being told to mix and match these creatures together, even though they – and by extension the Pokéntologists themselves – have no business doing so in-universe. The only thing stopping it from being unethical is that these fossils are already dead. They're probably testing the limits of genetics to see if anything sticks. Just imagine even the semi-serious implication that there are wild Pokémon who lose limbs, so this technology they have can help save lives by performing limb replacements. Come to think of it, Silvally precedes the concept by a few years by being made up of several unconfirmed species of Pokémon, being a Chimera/Griffon/Homunculus thing and all.
This dark load of lore is just epic.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I heard the final evolutions were leaked but I can’t seem to find any pics of them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I never expected any of the starters or legendaries to return so I'm not too broken up about it
Sucks that I won't be able to bring some of my favorites like Greninja, Serperior or Infernape forward but 632 is still pretty big.
Have any of the leaks or official reveals implied the return of Mewtwo, Gengar, or Gardevoir?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Hopefully Zoroark does return too.
It feels 50/50 tbh. On one hand, the mechanic it has is completely unique, and it is a Unova Mon, which I hear have the highest return ratio for there being so many of 'em. On the other hand, Game Freak made it as an attempt to ride off the coattails of Lucario, which never took off. Doesn't mean it isn't popular on its own right though.

D

Deleted member

Have any of the leaks or official reveals implied the return of Mewtwo, Gengar, or Gardevoir?
We know Gardevoir is going to return, and we have known for a while, but Mewtwo and Gengar are still MIA

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Not yet.(except Gardevoir, she's already confirmed)

Are they your favorite pokemon or something? Seems like a weird lineup of unrelated pokemon to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The Geno thread just gave me a nostalgia attack by making me remember the Reader Rabbit games.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The Geno thread just gave me a nostalgia attack by making me remember the Reader Rabbit games.
Yeah, I posted that. Man, it is an old game, but I used to play that when I was a kid alongside Treasure Mountain and the Muncher. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom