• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Question: What does the word "jack" has to do with Joker (as in is he called Jack in Persona or whatever)?
A couple of things:
-Card suites (Jack and Joker)
-Jack Frost
-Someone mentioned Jack Nicholson played the Joker
-Jack Napier is one of the most popular aliases of the Joker
-Phonetically sound similar
You could add tons of possible links, unless we get Brave we can't be sure but at least given Arsene=Doyle the Aliterative seems out of the window now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question: What does the word "jack" has to do with Joker (as in is he called Jack in Persona or whatever)?
There are a couple of ways Jack could refer to Joker.

Jack-of-all-Trades: Referring to his powers
"Amanojaku": (per Wiktionary) "an oni that appears in various folktales as the bad guy, who deliberately goes against what people say."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As I may have once mentioned, I believe the DLC development process is different from the base game development; maybe they’re keeping things under tighter wraps and/or throwing out false info to rat out leakers.

Sakurai probably even named the second DLC character Brave in the code just to cause mass speculation given “Jack” being Joker. But also, note that PP is nicknamed Packun, its Japanese name (Packun Flower) in the code. If Erdrick truly was Brave, wouldn’t his codename be literally Yuusha instead? That’s what his class is written as in Japan
I think this was covered already, but i’ll provide this pic:
C4E12C6F-FD0E-4EDC-A520-64F08EFC421B.jpeg

Page entirely in Japanese, but with Brave as the only English word.

Really not getting the massive movement against Erdrick, aside from people just not wanting it to happen. Idk my dudes.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Maybe they haven’t revealed him because he wasn’t ready, or they have a reason to hold him back.

There’s nothing that says he isn’t in. Saying otherwise is pure speculation. I’ve already covered why there’s no reason to doubt him yet, but as soon as there is I would probably be with you guys.

Verg is not an original leaker. As in, he gets the information second hand, or from other sources in order to gain credibility

That would shoot his credibility in the foot, if it weren’t for the fact that several other people behind the scenes have gotten the same stuff.

If people are believing the word of leakers on Banjo, then not believing the word of leakers for Erdrick is hypocritical. Period.

If I personally get reason to doubt Erdrick I would say something. But there’s no reason to doubt him at this point besides personal speculation.
So if I’m understanding right you’re saying verge was the first to say Erdrick but wasn’t the one leaking him because a source told him? Personally there’s no difference there. When you leak stuff you become a source. It’s like an essay but instead your citation is who told you this information to use.

So by all means, verge was the first to name drop Erdrick, therefore he “leaked” Erdrick first. That’s all there is too it. He was giving the info to leak and he did it first.

As for banjo, again I’m not saying he’s in either. I’m not a huge banjo fan. He’s cool but I’ve never played his games and thus don’t really want him. As I said I don’t fully buy the banjo rumor either. There’s evidence sure but so does Erdrick. If neither are revealed at E3 then their odds of coming are pretty low. Especially Erdrick as that would be a year out from when we heard about him and no character takes that long. Banjo would have a chance imo due to being more recent but personally I would chalk up his rumors to just coming from the merchandise stuff and insiders believing that meant smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He's not ready 6 months later? A reason to hold back making money? The other theory is promotion for DQ coming to Switch. That makes little sense as well.

A promotion character can be released before the game and still increase sales of the game.

If Erdrick was giving problems in development 6 months later. I'd wager that Sakurai would cut his loses and just move on to a new character that was easier to develop at that point. He and Square would most likely go back to the drawing board, etc.

But even that makes no sense. What could be problematic about any of the potential that he has that would take them 6 months or more to complete him?

I just don't see how you guys still think if he's not revealed Tuesday. He's this super likely occurrence.
Isn’t that pretty much why Corrin was included in 4, months before their game came out? In that case it would make more sense that, if it can’t be at the same time, better to release that promotional character before than after

Also, if this was a super gimmicky character I can see them taking more than 6 months to develop. But Erdrick personally doesn’t strike me as having that complex of a move set that he’d need more time to be worked on

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also correct me if I’m wrong. Erdrick would essentially have the same premise as Robin right? A magic and sword user?

Now I don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound like development hell to me. It shouldn’t take that long or be that hard to make.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Watch instead of rather Banjo, Steve or Erdrick we get Master Chief announced as the 2nd DLC fighter.
That would be extremely unexpected, especially as 343 and Frank disconfirmed him. Albeit, thanks to NDA's, they can deny that kind of information(as long as they don't mention other characters being in), so... that'd be fun.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Watch instead of rather Banjo, Steve or Erdrick we get Master Chief announced as the 2nd DLC fighter.
The site would probably brake down and the internet would go crazy with either joy or anger over it not being Steve or Banjo. It would be pretty entertaining to watch

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
So if I’m understanding right you’re saying verge was the first to say Erdrick but wasn’t the one leaking him because a source told him? Personally there’s no difference there. When you leak stuff you become a source. It’s like an essay but instead your citation is who told you this information to use.

So by all means, verge was the first to name drop Erdrick, therefore he “leaked” Erdrick first. That’s all there is too it. He was giving the info to leak and he did it first.

As for banjo, again I’m not saying he’s in either. I’m not a huge banjo fan. He’s cool but I’ve never played his games and thus don’t really want him. As I said I don’t fully buy the banjo rumor either. There’s evidence sure but so does Erdrick. If neither are revealed at E3 then their odds of coming are pretty low. Especially Erdrick as that would be a year out from when we heard about him and no character takes that long. Banjo would have a chance imo due to being more recent but personally I would chalk up his rumors to just coming from the merchandise stuff and insiders believing that meant smash.
Vergeben did not intentionally leak Erdrick. He had a list of seven square characters and someone leaked that list from a dm or something before Verge was ready. At that time he was not sure who the character was and wasn't ready to say anything beyond there being a square character.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think this was covered already, but i’ll provide this pic:
View attachment 226815

Page entirely in Japanese, but with Brave as the only English word.

Really not getting the massive movement against Erdrick, aside from people just not wanting it to happen. Idk my dudes.
And if you need anymore evidence here's a developer who worked on Smash Ultimate referencing Brave.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Also correct me if I’m wrong. Erdrick would essentially have the same premise as Robin right? A magic and sword user?

Now I don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound like development hell to me. It shouldn’t take that long or be that hard to make.
My point was that we don't know what happens behind the scenes. We don't know precisely how long it takes to make every character, we don't know when they think the best times for a reveal are. Maybe they were focusing heavily on getting joker out and weren't doing much with Erdrick. We don't know. Also, if you're going to directly argue with something I've said, quote me, don't beat around the bush.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Please don't let Geno lose "his spot" to a series vastly more popular than he is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And if you need anymore evidence here's a developer who worked on Smash Ultimate referencing Brave.

The same person later posted “this is just a hobby, don’t read too much into it” or something along those lines

[edit] Sliding Slinger’d

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know why people think six months would be too long for Sakurai to create a single character. The earliest sign of Cloud and Bayo being in development was in the middle of April 2015, shortly after the Direct with Mewtwo and Lucas. Cloud was officially revealed seven months later, and Bayo was revealed almost eight months later.

Just be patient. The DLC is coming eventually, and we're not going anywhere.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Vergeben did not intentionally leak Erdrick. He had a list of seven square characters and someone leaked that list from a dm or something before Verge was ready. At that time he was not sure who the character was and wasn't ready to say anything beyond there being a square character.
I’m pretty sure whoever verge talked to was given permission to release the list. Multiple people had seen the list from him and commented about it at the same time. And verge could have stopped there but he chose to give a name because he wanted to. It doesn’t really matter beyond the point that he still went with Erdrick and then so did everyone else

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
HAL devs like him haven't worked on Smash in a long time.
ignori g the fact he later edited the post to say it had **** all to do with smash
The same person later posted “this is just a hobby, don’t read too much into it” or something along those lines

[edit] Sliding Slinger’d
You're missing the point of the post. The point is that a Japanese developer who previously worked on Smash has acknowledged that the word Brave is attributed to Erdrick's shield. Whether he worked on Smash for some time or he edited the post doesn't change the fact that he acknowledged that the two are connected. This gives more strength to the Erdrick = Brave argument.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Isn’t that pretty much why Corrin was included in 4, months before their game came out? In that case it would make more sense that, if it can’t be at the same time, better to release that promotional character before than after

Also, if this was a super gimmicky character I can see them taking more than 6 months to develop. But Erdrick personally doesn’t strike me as having that complex of a move set that he’d need more time to be worked on
Erdrick has some of the most moveset potential, and include sakurai being a fan of Dragon Quest 3, and I'm sure he'd want to make the character stand out.

But it taking long would more have to do with the staff being smaller and working on multiple things at a time.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't know why people think six months would be too long for Sakurai to create a single character. The earliest sign of Cloud and Bayo being in development was in the middle of April 2015, shortly after the Direct with Mewtwo and Lucas. Cloud was officially revealed seven months later, and Bayo was revealed almost eight months later.

Just be patient. The DLC is coming eventually, and we're not going anywhere.
*sigh we really going with this theory again. Bayonneta was definitely not decided that early. No one mentioned cloud at all and there were no signs for him. Only that one guy Tansune( if I spelled that right) hinted at cloud and that was right before his direct

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

"According to @Epyonzilla, Shigeru Miyamoto will be on the stage of the Xbox Conference at E3 2019. See you at 10pm to follow it on the stream!"

Whoa wtf, if this is true Zhuge was not joking around when he said this was going to be the best E3 for Xbox.

This tweet would make sense now

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

"According to @Epyonzilla, Shigeru Miyamoto will be on the stage of the Xbox Conference at E3 2019. See you at 10pm to follow it on the stream!"

Whoa wtf, if this is true Zhuge was not joking around when he said this was going to be the best E3 for Xbox.

Now this sounds pretty crazy. I wonder what for though?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I’m pretty sure whoever verge talked to was given permission to release the list. Multiple people had seen the list from him and commented about it at the same time. And verge could have stopped there but he chose to give a name because he wanted to. It doesn’t really matter beyond the point that he still went with Erdrick and then so did everyone else
Leakers, when they do things right, are prudent and dont just release info when it hasn't come together fully. Just because some characters are being talked about doesnt mean they have confirmation yet that it's finalized. It can take time, or also in some cases waiting to hear it from other sources who could be in the know too.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
*snip*

*snip*
I guess all that’s left to do is wait and see, then...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

He was the first to “publically” leak Erdrick. There’s most certainly a difference.

The people I talk with discuss leaks and have connections of their own. But none of them publically say anything by choice.

Someone publically sharing information has no bearing on the validity of the information itself. That simply goes with his efficacy for bandwagoning, and that’s about it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Actually I figured it out:

Super Mario Halo Master Bowser collection coming to Xbox1 and Switch!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also not to be That Person but

Remember the Instagram posts with the Skull Kid figurine and the Twitter post with the screenshot that looked like a battle scene in Golden Sun?

Don’t get me wrong; if Erdrick IS indeed in, great! I’m happy for the supporters!

It’s just, something is really fishy about him being kept under wraps all this time, especially since the Dragon Quest presentation has come and gone. If there’s one thing I’ve learned: never believe someone is a lock without definite proof that’s impossible to fake.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was only joking, of course I know that.
Don't worry, I knew you were joking.

However, I feel that reducing Agumon to "Graizen's thing" works to the detriment of the perception of Agumon's chances to get into Smash.

It reinforces the perception that Graizen is the only Agumon fan on this thread.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't worry, I knew you were joking.

However, I feel that reducing Agumon to "Graizen's thing" works to the detriment of the perception of Agumon's chances to get into Smash.

It reinforces the perception that Graizen is the only Agumon fan on this thread.
Agumon being Brave/revealed next would be amazing, that said. I mean, he does 100% fit the idea of Brave too. Nonetheless, it'll be interesting what happens.

Especially if the Miyamoto rumor is true. Though I'm thinking that's Rare Replay or a new BK game. If they said Sakurai was at Microsoft's conference, that'd be a whole different thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom