• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Did anybody actually play those? I’ve never really heard of anyone playing it.
I mess around with Home-Run Contest once in a while. If anything, I played a TON of Smash Run.

I would say I miss event matches, but Spirit Board more or less does the same thing, with references to a ton of other characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What’s it about?
I think it's a Samurai themed Beat' Em up/Platformer that was on the Wii, it got a couple other ports, but I don't know what other systems it's on other than the Vita.

Seems pretty cool. I might try it out one day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ok Social. Top 9 favorite games.

My list is gonna look totally over centralized since it only goes up to nine lol.

Pokémon Black 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Super Mario Bros. 3
Pokémon Omega Ruby
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Galaxy
Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I think it's a Samurai themed Beat' Em up/Platformer that was on the Wii, it got a couple other ports, but I don't know what other systems it's on other than the Vita.

Seems pretty cool. I might try it out one day.
original was wii exclusive then rebirth came out on Vita

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Plot twist:

Banjo is revealed instead and just when we think the direct is over and Sakurai was right about only one character, we hear:

“OBJECTION!”

Yfw?
I would be confused because this means that the entire trailer was just an incredibly cinematic trial.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I think I already posted something like this a few weeks ago, though...

In no order, top 9:

Re-Volt (PC)
Age of Empires I/II (PC)
Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES)
Rhythm Heaven series (GBA onward)
Twinkle Star Sprites - multiplayer especially (NEO GEO)
Alley Cat (PC DOS)
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (N64)
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
Hollow Knight (PC)

Honorable mentions (still no order):

Worms Armageddon (PC)
Zelda Link's Awakening (GB/GBC)
Sonic 1 8 bit (SMS)
Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
Sonic Adventure 2 (GCN)
Gran Turismo series (PSX onward)
Assetto Corsa/Richard Burns Rally (PC with force feedback wheel)
Carmageddon 2/TDR 2000 (PC)
F-Zero GP Legend (GBA)
Mario Kart Super Circuits (GBA)
Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
Warioland series (GB onward)
Super Mario Bros 3 - All Stars version + Battle mode (SNES)
Super Mario World (GBA version)
The Witness (PC) - but it really has zero replay value, it's only good the first time
Baba is You (PC)
Wario Ware D.I.Y. - for the editor, not for the game itself (DS)
Mario vs DK Miniland Mayhem (DS)
Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (DS)
Puzzle Bobble (several platforms, mostly SNES)
Puzzle Games such as Sokoban, Picross and Minesweeper (several platforms)
Bomberman series and clones - multiplayer modes (several platforms)
Mario Kart 64 - Battle mode only (N64)
Unreal Tournament '99 - lan multiplayer (PC)

And probably more...

P.S.: There are some games from the "honorable mentions" section that should have been in the top 9 but I excluded them because there were no free slots.
EDIT: and I can't believe I totally forgot of Super Smash Bros Melee.
EDIT: and the Metroid GBA games, and Prime 2 and Hunters.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

9. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
8. Pokémon Red (White if you want a non-nostalgic answer)
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
6. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
5. Metroid Prime
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
3. World of Warcraft Classic
2. Super Metroid
1. Earthbound

And although it's kinda cheating, I feel the need to mention that Super Mario Galaxy and A Link to the Past were also fighting for that 9th spot. A list as restricted as 9 is difficult to make, kinda makes it seem like I have more of a Nintendo tunnel vision than I actually do.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So on the topic of Erdrick, while I agree that he isn't as popular in the west, keep in mind that his series crossed over with Mario's a couple of times.

So he has that going for him.

D

Deleted member

So on the topic of Erdrick, while I agree that he isn't as popular in the west, keep in mind that his series crossed over with Mario's a couple of times.

So he has that going for him.
If Banjo really is coming, that throws every "this character isn't worldwide popular" argument out of the discussion because Banjo is relatively obscure in Japan compared to the west.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If Banjo really is coming, that throws every "this character isn't worldwide popular" argument out of the discussion because Banjo is relatively obscure in Japan compared to the west.
I'm not sure if the rule is different for 3rd parties, but I'm pretty sure Metroid sells like garbage in JP, FE sold like crap in the west up until 2012 with Awakening, and Earthbound didn't even have any game localized worldwide up until the Wii U era, so I fail to see the whole worldwide appeal argument.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if the rule is different for 3rd parties, but I'm pretty sure Metroid sells like garbage in JP, FE sold like crap in the west up until 2012 with Awakening, and Earthbound didn't even have any game localized worldwide up until the Wii U era, so I fail to see the whole worldwide appeal argument.
Me too, mate. I think the distinction was made for 3rd party DLC characters, and now Banjo would nullify that. It's why Steve was a legit candidate because Minecraft is a legit icon in gaming.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Me too, mate. I think the distinction was made for 3rd party DLC characters, and now Banjo would nullify that. It's why Steve was a legit candidate because Minecraft is a legit icon in gaming.
Keep in mind that Bayo also sold pretty miserably in the west for quite some time, in fact, it took Smash to help boost it into the mainstream.

Also, no one really took Steve fans seriously until this year, that was a bit of an issue. But I also fail to see the Banjo argument. Like, wasn't he hyped up SO hard pre-release, like, what happened?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If Dragon Quest XI Switch does come out in the Fall, then it makes complete and total sense for Erdrick (or Luminary) to come out around then to coincide with it.

Again, never any indication that Erdrick would be at E3. Him being there was entirely fan speculation.
Granted, there was never anything confirming Erdrick either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not really obscure there either. The character is relatively known there. It's a series that does reasonably well. It's more niche than anything, which is a step up from obscure.

D

Deleted member

It's not really obscure there either. The character is relatively known there. It's a series that does reasonably well. It's more niche than anything, which is a step up from obscure.
Just like how Dragon Quest is relatively known here. In fact, Dragon Quest 11 in the west outsold Banjo Kazooie in the east. Dragon Quest 8 US sold about the same as Banjo did in Japan.

My point is that if Erdrick's worldwide status was a hurdle to cross for speculation, Banjo pretty much nullified it.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
From the lists, I see lots of Nintendo fans.
Makes sense given this us a nintendo board. Nice. Also looks like many older gamers (or fans of older series.)
Cool.

Also seems like Pokemon is one of the most poplar choices.

Nice to see the lists. Thank you.

Also, some posters lists were pretty expected given things. I was positive to see a few entries there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still think it matters to some extend, Sakurai has previously expressed it as a concern in the past in regards to Lucas, so it's obviously a factor. At the same time the pool of popular characters is getting smaller with every inclusion, so I think the importance of global popularity is only going to shrink as less and less characters can fulfill that requirement. I still wouldn't expect to see a character like Spyro, who might as well not exist in Japan, but we might get some more lopsided inclusions, which Banjo and Erdrick would already represent.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just like how Dragon Quest is relatively known here. In fact, Dragon Quest 11 in the west outsold Banjo Kazooie in the east. Dragon Quest 8 US sold about the same as Banjo did in Japan.

My point is that if Erdrick's worldwide status was a hurdle to cross for speculation, Banjo pretty much nullified it.
Not even close. Banjo isn't a relative unknown worldwide. Erdrick is an unknown in 2/3rds of the regions.

They're completely different situations. Banjo has nothing to overcome here. Erdrick does.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

idk if you can really compare the sales of a 2017 game to that of a 1998 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom