• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
:ultbanjokazooie:is Male-Female rep like how:ulticeclimbers:are. ;P

There case close. Now people can stop arguing over the lack of an female rep part of the Pass.

:ultpiranha:ain't part of the Pass though. He's a Pre-Pass Bonus character.
I'm sure all of the girls will identify with the bird that isn't even 100% present in the gameplay whose most female trait is eyelashes. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They just came back. The titles are in a a niche genre that the mainstream doesn’t like anymore. And they’re owned by a very greedy company. If the next project doesn’t do as well as the first (which this boycott will do) then they’ll drop it like a hot grenade.
In what world are platformers a niche genre? Certainly not this world, where Mario exists.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean I think the odds are pretty low its Crash Bandicoot if we go with a series people know well. There are plenty of other contenders for the spot.

D

Deleted member

They just came back. The titles are in a a niche genre that the mainstream doesn’t like anymore. And they’re owned by a very greedy company. If the next project doesn’t do as well as the first (which this boycott will do) then they’ll drop it like a hot grenade.
>10 million sales
>niche
NErFV6F.gif

Also I think you're severely overestimating how much impact a boycott would have on ActiBlizz. It might hurt the company, sure, but it's not going to put them under like you're thinking it will.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Man, I love video games. But the preservation of free speech is more important to me than the preservation of either franchise.

No one is trying to kill IP's, or even Blizzard. They're trying to send a message as to the sort of conduct they expect from a company. There's no one here saying Blizzard can't reconcile their actions. Without the boycott, they'll never be truly convinced that they need to.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I will say is that Crash getting in now shouldn't make a difference with the Blizzard thing, because he was negotiated for far in advance. They're not related, nor should they be if it happens.

While I'm not defending Blizzard, I will simply say that when I was employed at my former school, there were policies that I couldn't say or do certain things because the school was funded by the Navy. It was literally navy themed, with students called Cadets, with retired veterans being a part of the staff. They couldn't have staff speaking against the President, nor could they have students doing that. It's why students weren't allowed to participate in a walk-out despite the fact that they really, really wanted to.

There were some...questionable, things that happened there, and I was told specifically not to have students speak about anything deemed "too political" at an event I took them to. I had students speak about social justice and learn more about it in class, but looking back that may have had something to do with them no renewing my contract at the end of that year.

Now, it's not exactly the same thing. But it's not as if this policy is only Blizzard. Plenty of companies and places do it. I agree that "siding with China" isn't a good thing right now all things considered in the public eye, but I also think it's misguided to think Blizzard is the only entity to ever enforce something like this.

StormC

Smash Hero
If nobody is buying their products then s business can’t function. If people aren’t buying their products, for whatever reason, then the company dies.
Man if we lived in a society where companies went bankrupt every time they did something bad:

This scenario will never happen. What might happen is Blizzard loses enough revenue to change course. That's the point of a boycott.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I do think its weird that people talk crap about China online and they keep doing the same things over and over again. They sure do like hiding things.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In what world are platformers a niche genre? Certainly not this world, where Mario exists.
Nobody makes them anymore. They’re not popular enough for us to get a new one every year. Every gaming company isn’t eager to get out its new platformer every year. People like shooters and sandbox games and gritty realism and customization. They don’t like platformers anymore. Mario being the exception because he’s Mario. The genre is niche. For a while it was dead. It barely came back. Each franchise is constantly on the verge of dying and being put back into the box forever.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man, I love video games. But the preservation of free speech is more important to me than the preservation of either franchise.

No one is trying to kill IP's, or even Blizzard. They're trying to send a message as to the sort of conduct they expect from a company. There's no one here saying Blizzard can't reconcile their actions. Without the boycott, they'll never be truly convinced that they need to.
Even with the boycot this is still true. They are never gonna do what you ask. So your just gonna keep boycotting them until they go under.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nobody makes them anymore. They’re not popular enough for us to get a new one every year. Every gaming company isn’t eager to get out its new platformer every year. People like shooters and sandbox games and gritty realism and customization. They don’t like platformers anymore. Mario being the exception because he’s Mario. The genre is niche. For a while it was dead. It barely came back. Each franchise is constantly on the verge of dying and being put back into the box forever.
It died because there was nothing platformers were what you consider gritty shooters and sandbox games back then. Because they've been dead so long, people ended up missing them and have found success out of 7.5 billion people, 10 million of em bought the N.Sane trilogy.

So please calm down. Crash will never get hurt by this, you're getting too heated and I highly suggest cooling off with a cold drink

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Even with the boycot this is still true. They are never gonna do what you ask. So your just gonna keep boycotting them until they go under.
If they don't do what I ask, then they don't get my money. That's my right, and it means something to me at a personal level whether Blizzard is hurt or not. How can you act like that doesn't matter?

StormC

Smash Hero
All I will say is that Crash getting in now shouldn't make a difference with the Blizzard thing, because he was negotiated for far in advance. They're not related, nor should they be if it happens.

While I'm not defending Blizzard, I will simply say that when I was employed at my former school, there were policies that I couldn't say or do certain things because the school was funded by the Navy. It was literally navy themed, with students called Cadets, with retired veterans being a part of the staff. They couldn't have staff speaking against the President, nor could they have students doing that. It's why students weren't allowed to participate in a walk-out despite the fact that they really, really wanted to.

There were some...questionable, things that happened there, and I was told specifically not to have students speak about anything deemed "too political" at an event I took them to. I had students speak about social justice and learn more about it in class, but looking back that may have had something to do with them no renewing my contract at the end of that year.

Now, it's not exactly the same thing. But it's not as if this policy is only Blizzard. Plenty of companies and places do it. I agree that "siding with China" isn't a good thing right now all things considered in the public eye, but I also think it's misguided to think Blizzard is the only entity to ever enforce something like this.
I hate both the Chinese government and the American government because I'm a dirty leftist. I wouldn't be able to work at a school like that, personally.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If they don't do what I ask, then they don't get my money. That's my right, and it means something to me at a personal level whether Blizzard is hurt or not. How can you act like that doesn't matter?
So little in life gives me joy anymore. I will defend the few things that do with a burning passion because I want to still have a reason to live.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wait, we're shilling for Crash now?

I guess the Doom Guy shilling died, huh.
Not really. We still believe Ryu Hayabusa might get in as well. The only question is which of them will be DLC fighter 5 and post-Pass.

Doom Slayer still has a shot though as far as I see it.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Platforming is not dead.

In fact its managed to maintain itself during the prevalence of several Genre-specific fads. (FPS and Survival games, notabley.)
This reminds me of something:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We literally just got a DKC style platformer in Yooka-Laylee.
We literally just got Bloodstained.
We literally just got Indivisible.
Sonic Mania was free on PS Plus earlier this year.
Shovel Knight: King of Cards is due out soon
We got a Mario Bros U port.
Kirby's Epic Yarn got a port.
Unravel 2 came out on Switch.
Yoshi's Crafted World came out this year.
Katana Zero released.
Cuphead's switch port.
The Castlevania collection got released as did Contra's.
Super Mario Maker 2 released.
Ori and the Blind Forest came out on Switch with it's sequel due next year.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Also on top of that the production cost for indie side scrollers is quite low when compared to a triple a game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure all of the girls will identify with the bird that isn't even 100% present in the gameplay whose most female trait is eyelashes. :p
Wouldn't you feel represented if a male character uses you as a club and a gun?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So little in life gives me joy anymore. I will defend the few things that do with a burning passion because I want to still have a reason to live.
Girl, please listen. This isn't a burning passion, it's a fire hazard as you're ignoring literally everything. Nothing will happen to Crash. Nothing will happen to Spyro. The most damage that would be done is the Blizzard department specifically losing money until they change. And the US government stepped in. Crash is NOT part of the Blizzard department. So Crash is safe

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We literally just got a DKC style platformer in Yooka-Laylee.
We literally just got Bloodstained.
We literally just got Indivisible.
Sonic Mania was free on PS Plus earlier this year.
Shovel Knight: King of Cards is due out soon
We got a Mario Bros U port.
Kirby's Epic Yarn got a port.
Unravel 2 came out on Switch.
Yoshi's Crafted World came out this year.
Katana Zero released.
Cuphead's switch port.
The Castlevania collection got released as did Contra's.
Super Mario Maker 2 released.
Ori and the Blind Forest came out on Switch with it's sequel due next year.
A not insignificant portion of those games are metroidvanias. That doesn't count. An FPS doesn't become a platformer because you add a jump button.

D

Deleted member

Man, as much as I hate politics, that school is scummy. Imagine sitting during the pledge there XD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A not insignificant portion of those games are metroidvanias. That doesn't count. An FPS doesn't become a platformer because you add a jump button.
A Metroidvania is literally just a platformer with different weapons and backtracking.

Metroidvania is just a subgenre of platformer. They absolutely count.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Platforming games isn't niche at all, but I will say that the market once had an unhealthy amount of oversaturation within platformers that many simply got burned out of it. The exact same thing is happening with nitty gritty FPS. They're still popular, but there's just too much and people grt tired of them

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Indies are full of them too. A lot of platforming indies have made a huge splash in recent years.

If anyone calls platformers, fighters, rpgs, fpses, or racing games niche then you know the person saying that has limited scope and/or isn't bothered to look them up properly. The industry is full of those.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Indies are full of them too. A lot of platforming indies have made a huge splash in recent years.

If anyone calls platformers, fighters, rpgs, fpses, or racing games niche then you know the person saying that has limited scope and/or isn't bothered to look them up properly. The industry is full of those.
Snakefighter was talking about specific games that cover the genre of platformers if you check the post about metroidvania. Although, I'd argue metroid and castlevania are equally platformers.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Interesting way to dodge that there's still an abundance of platformers just this year.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I like Dragon Quest. I have bought multiple Dragon Quest games. I was very happy that Hero made it into Smash.

Also: Sugiyama is a scumbag who almost certainly despises my existence as a queer person. Purchasing the fighter's pass (which I did), Hero individually, or any Dragon Quest game (which I have done) means putting money directly into his pockets. I had to make my peace with that. Others certainly aren't obligated to, and I don't take it as an affront to myself, a Dragon Quest fan who would like more games to come out in the West, if they choose to boycott the series on those grounds, because human rights are infinitely more important that video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom