• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Where's this talk of fighter pack #5 Crash coming from?
El Grande Padre di Jeno is saying his trusty dusty source is saying Crash is happening and maybe Geno and cited them calling all the mii costumes confirmed during the Sans presentation outside of Sans himself, meaning if it's real, Crash is in and there's more info than we actually got from them. They're also saying we're getting Mallow, Smithy and Chocobo mii costumes

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Blizzard is not a subsidiary of China.
yes

How does boycotting them affect China in any way?
the goal is to affect the company, not the country

Blizzard has a huge Chinese market so of course they don’t want to piss off the government there.
first mistake: becoming hypocrites

But China doesn’t care if blizzard is behind them or not.
yeah because they could just ban blizzard content all together if they say one thing against them

it's not a challenge for them

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh yeah I don’t know if you all know this, but I saw it clarified that there is some type of restriction that prevents you from catching the high leveled wild area Pokémon, but you can still encounter them.

get ready for all the shiny fails and the nuzlockes that will be ended when some youtuber isn’t paying attention and runs into that level 55 tyranitar at the start of the game.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Blizzard is not a subsidiary of China. How does boycotting them affect China in any way? Blizzard has a huge Chinese market so of course they don’t want to piss off the government there. But China doesn’t care if blizzard is behind them or not.
tencent owns a bit of activision-blizzard and they're directly tied to the Chinese govt IIRC

without them this whole scandal probably wouldn't have happened

StormC

Smash Hero
I agree the China needs to be stopped, but knocking down Blizzard isn’t going to do it. What exactly is the goal of boycotting the company? What will it achieve? How will it actually help anyone.
The important part of a boycott is not inherently to just bleed Blizzard of money. It is to make a statement regarding the issue at hand. By continuing to be vocal about it, more attention and pressure is put on Blizzard and other companies. A boycott is not "make them go bankrupt," it's "have them lose enough money until they change course."

It will also be important if enough key staff get fed up and leave. Without the creative people, ActiBlizz is just a bunch of shareholders. We know Blizzard employees are already unhappy with the situation because of covering up the sign saying "Every Voice Matters" at the Irvine office.

The bottom line is, the fearmongering that all these games will go out of business and employees will lose their jobs is ridiculous. People are making a statement. Will it work? We will see, but that's no reason to turn off the gas.

tencent owns a bit of activision-blizzard and they're directly tied to the Chinese govt IIRC

without them this whole scandal probably wouldn't have happened
Tencent only owns 5% of Blizzard. It was entirely Blizzard's decision to preserve their large Chinese audience.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
just slapped on a heating pad and put myself in bed. It was a wild ride.
>small pain
>took pills later because I thought it wouldnt be bad
>got stuck in bathroom
>pain got worse
>started having heat flashes
>starts shaking
>got dizzy
You know, taking a hot bath doesn't sound too bad especially when you're having cramps. I know the feeling.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Blizzard is not a subsidiary of China. How does boycotting them affect China in any way? Blizzard has a huge Chinese market so of course they don’t want to piss off the government there. But China doesn’t care if blizzard is behind them or not.
This isn't about affecting China. This is about affecting Blizzard because they made an effort to silence someone's support for the Hong Kong protestors. I can't get behind a company that will penalize someone for standing up for what's right.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This isn't about affecting China. This is about affecting Blizzard because they made an effort to silence someone's support for the Hong Kong protestors. I can't get behind a company that will penalize someone for standing up for what's right.
EXACTLY THIS. And no one should even have the expectation that you would abandon your belief based on the idea of individuals losing their jobs at a lower level. AlphaDream went bankrupt because of poor sales, did any of you run out and buy Mario & Luigi games because you were worried about people losing jobs? No. Because if the market was based on keeping individuals afloat, then quality products and moral demonstration would never be rewarded. That defeats the purpose of the purchase entirely. I'm not saying it isn't a damn shame that people will lose their jobs, but its even more of a shame that a company would conduct themselves in such poor manner.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
yes

the goal is to affect the company, not the country

first mistake: becoming hypocrites

yeah because they could just ban blizzard content all together if they say one thing against them

it's not a challenge for them
Why effect the company though? They’re not a dictatorial regime oppressing thousands of people. They were just trying to preserve their business. If you want to effect change, then direct your energy at the actual bad guys.
The important part of a boycott is not inherently to just bleed Blizzard of money. It is to make a statement regarding the issue at hand. By continuing to be vocal about it, more attention and pressure is put on Blizzard and other companies. A boycott is not "make them go bankrupt," it's "have them lose enough money until they change course."

It will also be important if enough key staff get fed up and leave. Without the creative people, ActiBlizz is just a bunch of shareholders. We know Blizzard employees are already unhappy with the situation because of covering up the sign saying "Every Voice Matters" at the Irvine office.

The bottom line is, the fearmongering that all these games will go out of business and employees will lose their jobs is ridiculous. People are making a statement. Will it work? We will see, but that's no reason to turn off the gas.

Tencent only owns 5% of Blizzard. It was entirely Blizzard's decision to preserve their large Chinese audience.
Ok. So what do you want them to do? Because the only outcome I can see this having issues bunch of unaffected shareholders and Chinese government officials, a bunch of fired employees, and a bunch of dead ips.

And I’m not gonna let Crash and Spyro die again.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
El Grande Padre di Jeno is saying his trusty dusty source is saying Crash is happening and maybe Geno and cited them calling all the mii costumes confirmed during the Sans presentation outside of Sans himself, meaning if it's real, Crash is in and there's more info than we actually got from them. They're also saying we're getting Mallow, Smithy and Chocobo mii costumes
Could you imagine that? At the VGA Crash being announced as DLC fighter 5 and as a free bonus character as:ultpiranha:we also get Geno announced as fighter #76.

That'd be well worth the wait if true.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Btw a Blizzard boycott won't affect Crash at all. The divisions are completely seperate and if the people working on Crash are suffering it's because of Activision ****ing the devs themselves, not Blizzard
Activision and Blizzard are two heads of the same Hydra body. And Activision isn't some pure innocent angel caught up on this. Blizzard has been going downhill the moment Activision bought them out.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean from a professional standpoint, Blizzard taking sides is not professional regardless of what the person said. I'm sure people have said political things during tournaments at one point or another but to decide they need to be banned now is the wrong way to approach the situation. You can't cherrypick the controversial things you ban, you either ban it all or ban nothing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why effect the company though? They’re not a dictatorial regime oppressing thousands of people. They were just trying to preserve their business

Ok. So what do you want them to do? Because the only outcome I can see this having issues bunch of unaffected shareholders and Chinese government officials, a bunch of fired employees, and a bunch of dead ips.

Snake I JUST said Blizzard suffering will never hurt Spyro and Crash, try to calm down because you're severely misunderstanding this whole situation

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That can help comfort you.
But if it gets worse, please see a doctor ok? That's worrying.
Yeah, my sister had heavy heavy cramos before but I forgot what caused hers but All i know is that it was an issue. But now Im good, heating pad worked but damn, that **** took all my energy and now Im hella hungry amd tired but mostly hungry. Hey, thanks for worryin buddy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

by supporting free speech and giving the man his goddamn money

this **** is my literal final paper for english, i know enough about boycotts to know that they're not worthless. perhaps you're just a pessimist.
Just so you know Blitzchung had his ban reduced to 6 months and also received his prize money
Still not the correct response from Blizzard but at least he isn't completely ****ed over now

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Activision and Blizzard are two heads of the same Hydra body. And Activision isn't some pure innocent angel caught up on this. Blizzard has been going downhill the moment Activision bought them out.
I'm not saying Activision is a poor soul caught up in the crossfire, I'm saying this is like how the MCU wouldn't be affected by idk, One More Day 2: This Time It's Worse Somehow

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why effect the company though? They’re not a dictatorial regime oppressing thousands of people. They were just trying to preserve their business. If you want to effect change, then direct your energy at the actual bad guys.
Because they support not the country itself, but its socially irresponsible actions. Not that hard to comprehend, sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

StormC

Smash Hero

Are you seriously asking people to take up arms to go to war with a world superpower?

People are directing their energy at Blizzard because they are an American company whose bottom line they can affect and to show other companies that this sort of behavior is not to be accepted. The situation is not going to lead to a mass revolt of consumers and bankrupt the company. It is to make a statement. And if Blizzard never course corrects and always bends over for China, then they've made their bed and they can lie in it - the employees still working for the company can decide if they can live with that. That's not a problem for consumers. They aren't obligated to our money.

As for what Blizzard can do?

1. A formal apology
2. Unban everyone completely
3. State in no unclear terms that this will not happen again

If they lose the China audience over it, then that's their problem.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake I JUST said Blizzard suffering will never hurt Spyro and Crash, try to calm down because you're severely misunderstanding this whole situation
Yeah. You said that.

But lots of other people aren’t making that distinction. People here have said they would be boycotting Crash specifically. Asking for refunds if he gets in. And abandoning purchasing games in those series. At a time when Crash and Spyro’s IPs are very vulnerable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah. You said that.

But lots of other people aren’t making that distinction. People here have said they would be boycotting Crash specifically. Asking for refunds if he gets in. And abandoning purchasing games in those series. At a time when Crash and Spyro’s IPs are very vulnerable.
Crash N. Sane Trilogy sold 10 million it is not vulnerable lmao.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Are you seriously asking people to take up arms to go to war with a world superpower?

People are directing their energy at Blizzard because they are an American company whose bottom line they can affect and to show other companies that this sort of behavior is not to be accepted. The situation is not going to lead to a mass revolt of consumers and bankrupt the company. It is to make a statement. And if Blizzard never course corrects and always bends over for China, then they've made their bed and they can lie in it - the employees still working for the company can decide if they can live with that. That's not a problem for consumers. They aren't obligated to our money.

As for what Blizzard can do?

1. A formal apology
2. Unban everyone completely
3. State in no unclear terms that this will not happen again

If they lose the China audience over it, then that's their problem.
I’d like to know how you know that. Because the odds of blizzard actually doing what you suggested are slim to none. And if the goal is to protest until they comply then yeah, the company is gonna go under.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In my eyes, if this situation makes companies less willing to bend at the knee for China by saying, "We shouldn't do this. We don't want to end up like Activision-Blizzard," then the movement was a success.

Ripple effects, and all that jazz.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah. You said that.

i could care less about crash, but you were never asking much about crash and more "boycott?????"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know, if I ever catch you saying Kazooie is a female rep again I'm showing you a screencap of this
:ultbanjokazooie:is Male-Female rep like how:ulticeclimbers:are. ;P

There case close. Now people can stop arguing over the lack of an female rep part of the Pass.
then we need 2 plants
:ultpiranha:ain't part of the Pass though. He's a Pre-Pass Bonus character.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I’d like to know how you know that. Because the odds of blizzard actually doing what you suggested are slim to none. And if the goal is to protest until they comply then yeah, the company is gonna go under.
Can you show me a situation where a multibillion dollar corporation went bankrupt because consumers got woke?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah. You said that.

I only saw a single person do that as a lot of pushback towards Blizzard is from the "STOP MAKING EVERYTHING POLITICAL" crowd, it's only because it's Blizzard for their uhhhh SJW Overwatch or whatever. Those people wouldn't get upset with Crash at all.

Also the **** are you on about Crash has been positively booming with over 10 million sales on the remakes to the point Crash is literally listed as a major Activision IP by the company itself now

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’ve literally only bought one product from Blizzard, and I don’t really plan on getting anymore, honestly. Nothing they’re selling right now is super interesting to me anyways.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given Crash's legacy and gaming history. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the cut whether the fifth fighter or beyond. He more then earns his spot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I only saw a single person do that as a lot of pushback towards Blizzard is from the "STOP MAKING EVERYTHING POLITICAL" crowd, it's only because it's Blizzard for their uhhhh SJW Overwatch or whatever. Those people wouldn't get upset with Crash at all.

Also the **** are you on about Crash has been positively booming with over 10 million sales on the remakes to the point Crash is literally listed as a major Activision IP by the company itself now
They just came back. The titles are in a a niche genre that the mainstream doesn’t like anymore. And they’re owned by a very greedy company. If the next project doesn’t do as well as the first (which this boycott will do) then they’ll drop it like a hot grenade.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If nobody is buying their products then s business can’t function. If people aren’t buying their products, for whatever reason, then the company dies.
That's not what he's asking, he's asking for an example which led to bankrupcy. A boycott isn't merely "kill the company" but rather "get them to stop this specific ****ty thing". Not to mention the last time people tried boycotting Activison because CoDMW2 didn't have dedicated servers, everyone boycotting bought the game day 1 despite Activision not giving them dedicating servers. Calm. Down. Take like, a 10 minute break and come back ignoring the topic completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom