• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
The bigger problem above all is the fact that unchecked greed has trickled into society, and has left people making decisions based on, effectively, money. Younger folks worldwide are fighting back against that, but it doesn’t change the fact that society has valued wealth more than character for many years.

I am angry not at Blizzard, but at the leadership of Blizzard.

However, I do understand the implications of not just allowing any particular person affiliated with Blizzard say things that will affect the company. It's really not that black & white.

Like if you're Blizzard...if you don't do something about what Blitzchung said, then it opens up to other things that people could say while under contract with Blizzard. If somebody says something anti-China and that's allowed, then they can't necessarily apply it to other situations. It comes down to consistency with the company.

Call me out if you like, even though I adamantly believe in what the Hong Kong Protestors are doing. I think it's great that they're putting their ideals on the table, and are working to make a difference. I think that matches up with values of choice and taking power into their own hands rather than relying on the old people who make (bad) decisions for others.

While I disagree, I see why Blizzard has that policy in place, though it sent a message that, for all we know, the CEO and leadership of Blizzard may not have meant. But when you send out that "apology" and don't really apologize, it's just a bad look.

I do think it comes down to money, but I don't think all of Blizzard should be cast to the void. The employees in the company have allowed their position to be heard on the subject. I still believe in the ideals that characters like Winston & Tracer believe in, despite the ideals of people who make money off of them. It's frustrating, and you'd never wish to be in that situation.

Luckily, aside from Overwatch I don't really play other Blizzard games. I also don't really plan to purchase loot boxes in OW any time soon, considering I haven't done the Halloween event yet, and the only skin I'd want is the Tracer one.

Bleh. It's unfortunate when the most influential color in the world today is green, and not even in the sense that the we love and care for the natural world.
I think at the very least, we are coming to terms with the consequences of capitalism; by exploiting the slave labor of Chinese workers, business have given China an insane amount of capital and power, and now they are free to spread their authoritarian regime past their border. My hope is we have a serious conversation about this in our dialogue and our role in allowing this to happen, but my fear is that we will enter a second Cold War scenario and treat all Chinese people as the enemy.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Nobody's wishing death on Sugiyama per se but going "Oh boy good riddance to that scum". If you want to be respected when dead you need to be a decent person when alive
why tf this man gotta make such sweet-ass tunes

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Nobody's wishing death on Sugiyama per se but going "Oh boy good riddance to that scum". If you want to be respected when dead you need to be a decent person when alive
Tbh, I can't even bring myself to do that. Like, I'd feel at least a small twinge of sadness because I loved his work. Even if he was a not so great person.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm just lucky I even have a fast food restaurant job. Haven't been able to find anywhere else with my skillset, which is awful. So yeah, I do think any of them going under is a pretty big deal since that's a lot of jobs lost. No, they don't "easily" find other ones. A lot of places barely have job slots open. Every job lost is a pretty big deal in the grand scheme of things. That's about all many can muster. Not all can even get to College at any point. This stuff isn't free after all. Not with severely limited hour sets due to School itself. They can barely muster enough money to save for College, if lucky. And that's just for the kids. I have to depend on Social Security too, as long as I have a job.

World is pretty uncaring in that regard. And they expect more out of what people can realistically do anyway.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
They're saying over in Newcomer Speculation that Ryce (someone on resetera) is apparently backing Crash for Smash (hey that rhymes!).

Not sure if true or not.

D

Deleted member

Tbh, I can't even bring myself to do that. Like, I'd feel at least a small twinge of sadness because I loved his work. Even if he was a not so great person.
Pretty much. I can never really hope someone dies unless they directly cause me severe physical or emotional pain. And when I say emotional pain, I mean death of family member or ****. Not a very proactive stance on my part, but it keeps me sane. Also, no, none of that has happened to me thankfully.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'll be frank, I couldn't possibly care less. No one goes into fast food for job stability.
Eh...I don't know that that's necessarily wrong, persay, but I don't think it's fair to assume workers don't eventually rely on a job like that. People go in assuming they'll achieve more, but do sometimes rely on those jobs.

Though, that's not something people should have to rely on to survive. Unfortunately that's just how the system works.

I get the feeling this should probably be taken to the Debate Hall though, so I'll go back to talking about Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
lol there is nothing worse then wishing death on someone just because you dont like them. If that was acceptable, Id be wishing death on a lot of people here
Can I be blunt?

If someone wants me dead because of something I can't change, I'm not going to wish them a long and happy life. Call me petty all you want.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It was literally one store. It's really not that hard to find another entry level job.
This is a terrible take. What if someone lived in a small town with a financally unstable family, and that was the only place around that was hiring, and it shut down. You just gonna tell them to suck it up and go somewhere else?

Like, I get that Fast Food jobs aren't the best, but show at least a bit of empathy.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Jesus ****ing Christ girl you need professional help if not better professional help. Video Games shouldn't be the only reason to live you should have other and better priorities before Video Games.

I love gaming as a hobby it has helped me through a lot of dark times and I've grown up playing video games so I'll never give up the hobby and I will never outgrow it but I wouldn't call it a top priority nor should it be a top priority imo it's just something you love and enjoy nothing worth dying over.

I really don't mean to sound like a **** but you really need to rethink your priorities.
I play games because it's all I can do. I watch movies because it's all I can do.

I'm an ideas person. I come up with things to do. I can't actually do them. I try to draw but it's mediocre. I try to write but it's mediocre. I try to make movies for my classes and they're mediocre. And since people are calling for the death of hug companies, i essentially can't be happy. I need a team to make my dreams a reality. I need people who are willing to back me up and make up for the areas I lack skills in. But everyone in my college film program is being taught to be a self-made indie filmmaker who CAN do everything themselves. Why should they help me with my dreams, they have their own to live. That's what people want now. They want small single filmmakers who can do it all themselves. They want small indie studios making games all on their own with kick starter money. They want all the big companies to go away because capitalism is bad. There is no place in this world for someone who's only good at coming up with ideas. And if that's true, then I can't work. I can't direct my energy to something that doesn't interest me. It's why I'm struggling so much in school. So no way am I going to be able to hold down any other job. So no money for me. No house. No family. No life. So why not just play video games for the few years I have left before I die alone and homeless on the streets.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I think at the very least, we are coming to terms with the consequences of capitalism; by exploiting the slave labor of Chinese workers, business have given China an insane amount of capital and power, and now they are free to spread their authoritarian regime past their border. My hope is we have a serious conversation about this in our dialogue and our role in allowing this to happen, but my fear is that we will enter a second Cold War scenario and treat all Chinese people as the enemy.
As much as I hate it when politics are brought up here, why are you blaming capitalism for the actions of a communist government?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I'm not the type of person who really delves into discussion about human rights & whatnot, so I'll provide some cute happiness for a break from all the seriousness:
Isn't he a cute one?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
lol there is nothing worse then wishing death on someone just because you dont like them. If that was acceptable, Id be wishing death on a lot of people here
There's a huge difference between "I really don't like you" and "You're actively a piece of **** that disregards the basic human rights of others and are a threat to people's own wellbeing"

As much as I hate it when politics are brought up here, why are you blaming capitalism for the actions of a communist government?
They're as Communist as I am straight.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is a terrible take. What if someone lived in a small town with a financally unstable family, and that was the only place around that was hiring, and it shut down. You just gonna tell them to suck it up and go somewhere else?

Like, I get that Fast Food jobs aren't the best, but show at least a bit of empathy.
I have nothing but respect for fast food workers given all the **** they have to deal with on the reg. Believe me, I've worked in fast food for a good while, at multiple locations. But if about forty people losing their jobs is what's needed to make companies rethink their ****ty business practices, I'm all for it. The needs of the many vs the needs of the few. LGBT equality is far more important to me than a single chicken sandwich location.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

this is what we call "**** you, got mine"
What a lovely dumpster-fire this chat is right now. /s
You wanna know something else? Those cramps ****ed me up so hard that a chainsaw started running outside and I automatically thought I heard a cow

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
China is state-capitalist. They aren't communist by any definable measure.

If you want to know why I'm blaming capitalism, it's because capitalism cannot exist without an exploited, underpaid working class, hence Chinese labor.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, I don't see point of holding on to hate and contempt for someone who won't even affect you in the slightest. It's only going to ruin your own health more that it will ruin theirs. Like, there's some people in the world that I don't life, but I'm not gonna let that fester in me and ruin my mental health.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I personally can't play Blizzard's games anymore without feeling somewhat guilty, at least at the moment, I still know several people that still do in spite of their feelings over Blizzard's actions. And while I might disagree with them I don't think they're bad people, I know enough about them to know for a fact that they aren't.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Tbh, I don't see point of holding on to hate and contempt for someone who won't even affect you in the slightest. It's only going to ruin your own health more that it will ruin theirs. Like, there's some people in the world that I don't life, but I'm not gonna let that fester in me and ruin my mental health.
Yeah man, I just wanna ****ing kill some metal slimes, fam

D

Deleted member

Real talk, this debate sounds like my family debating Fox news at the dinner table. Completely unhelpful to the world and just ruins the ****ing mood.

StormC

Smash Hero

"What if the only place you could work at funded homophobic institutions" is your take on this? What a hyperbolic hypothetical.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While I personally can't play Blizzard's games anymore without feeling somewhat guilty, at least at the moment, I still know several people that still do in spite of their feelings over Blizzard's actions. And while I might disagree with them I don't think they're bad people, I know enough about them to know for a fact that they aren't.

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
Why respect someone who'd be giggling at glee with the news of my suicide and mass genocide? Less hate in the world is a good thing and one rich dude isn't the same as multiple minority groups

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You're future is entirely up to you.

If you don't want to change your fate who else will?
I wan't to change but I can't.

Even if there was a place on my campus to meet other people like me, that wouldn't suddenly make me any better at social interaction. Same with the reverse.

I can't make people all of a sudden be okay with capitalism long enough for me to live my dreams.

I can't suddenly just gain the ability to pay attention to something that doesn't interest me, I've been trying for the better part of two decades and it just doesn't work.

There is nothing I can do to carve out a place for myself in the world because the world is moving on. It's evolving. It's moving on and leaving me behind as someone who can't function in the new order.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm frankly glad I quit moderating.

Why?

Because I don't have to deal with everyone's bull**** anymore. Thank God, because sometimes you people drive me insane. This is one of those times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom