• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I dont think you want my problems, you would be trying to game end yourself everyday like I already do now
Trust me, there's a reason I said "some." :p

I know you've been hit kinda hard these past few days.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
As an educator, while I sympathize with you, this is a real bad take.
Agreed.
And no, colleges aren't required. There are a lot of jobs that only require a person to know a trade. Trade schools are underrated, are valuable, and they cost less.

YTI (York Technical Institute) is an example: known for preparing students nicely for the tech and computer science fields, but you only attend there for 2-3 years and you're done. Along with that, employment rates for every degree except Medical Billing are well over 50% at each and every location.

While YTI is just one single trade school, it serves as an example of how college is not a requirement... at least, not in all cases. There are still many jobs out there that don't require a 4 year Bachelor's; rather, a trade school degree is better suited.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Closest experience I had to college was those college career days. I learned about how they game on campus and how one of the dudes was the head of the GSA and pansexual and that was really cool to hear in person and with no shame at all.

D

Deleted member

There's also the military, specifically Navy and Chair Force. You get free housing, education, and health care for a couple of years, and then a job after the education for a couple of years. It's good if you want stable work, but it's a hell of a lot of work and you'll need to toughen up. You also need to do research before going in if you want to get a good paying job.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
How is asking for money in exchange for services(in this case, an education) predatory?

Unless you're refering to something else, in which case, can you explain what you mean?
Because the environment of college and the structure of the classes is, from my experience, designed specifically to get students to fail so they have to take more courses. If you take a class and you fail, you have decidedly not been educated and have not gotten what you payed for.
I did also take some less fun classes, but I just don't remember what they were because they don't feel important now. And that's the problem, isn't it? From a fairly young age we're forced into taking classes that we don't care about that teach us things that don't matter to us, just because it has been decided that everyone has to know trigonometry or biology even though they will never be relevant to most people's lives. The educational system is flawed.
This. To a T.
While I do think there are several unnecessary positions created just so people "in the click" can get a hefty salary, college is supposed to be an investment, not a place to stop by whenever you feel like taking a class for funsies.

I spent two years going through nursing school, and I've got another three and a half in front of me if I wanna become a nurse practitioner. On top of my 8 hour classes Wednesday and Friday, I also have labs, clinicals, and study groups. Not to mention I have to do all of this while working 12 hour shifts at a hospital and supporting myself. Yeah it's rough, but as hard as it is, I know that I have to work hard now to relax later. If I accomplish my goal, I could be making $60 an hour, which would put me right above a six figure yearly salary. That's my incentive to keep working hard.

I know college is tough, but if you struggle in a class, you're just gonna have to adapt. Difficult classes and instructors are just part of it.
Sure. I get that. And i’m not saying you shouldn’t have to jump through a tonne of hoops if you wanna do something big like be a nurse practitioner or a chemist or whatever. But I’m a film student. My course load should not be making me wanna kill myself. And a college degree should decidedly NOT put you ahead for minimum wage jobs like at fast food resteraunts.

Not to mention, and I feel this message need to be spread loud and clear and far and wide, suffering should not be required for happiness.

D

Deleted member

Went into Engineering for college, failed

Returned for computers, succeeded

Got a job in engineering anyways :yoshi:
Not to pry, but what did you do after leaving college for the first time? I've been looking into stuff outside of college.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It's been a year and some change now since I've graduated and I haven't gone to college yet. If anything, I'll probably hit up the community college later.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Went to uni, studied history, wrote a thesis about where people believed the soul went after you died before reaching heaven or hell.

Yeah. Super ****ing niche, but that's kinda what a lot of thesis/dissertations need to be if you wanna do something original. Still really interesting though.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm in my first semester of college now, and I hate the college I ended up at. I didn't even wanna go here, I pretty much had to cause it was cheap and we were running out of options. Hopefully I can transfer after the first year.

D

Deleted member

I'm doing ok atm. Watching hockey news stuff and eating Arby's curly fries. HBU?
Just got done grinding for Bastion's Brick Challenge in Overwatch as it ends tomorrow. I don't even use Bastion, but I like how colorful that skin is.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
My college experience is fun so far. Coding can get somewhat hard at points, but being able to put somthing up on a screen is worth.

Even if it's just an HTML5 file with very basic shapes and color.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Just got done grinding for Bastion's Brick Challenge in Overwatch as it ends tomorrow. I don't even use Bastion, but I like how colorful that skin is.
That's great! I didn't know you were an Overwatch player. Which platform do you use? If you use PC, may we exchange friend codes?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I’m going to college next year and I’m kind of terrified. Gonna be in there six years to get my masters degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom