• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No but seriously, can we talk about something else please?

Like, emmm, **** I can't think of any good topics off the top of my head.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
College classes need to stop giving themselves fun names if they’re actually really hard. I would not have taken this lab required-heavy study science class if it hadn’t been named “DNA: Friend or Foe?” I just wanted to relax this semester after two while years of college that was so stressful I [REDACTED]. Not this.

And it’s too far into the semester to drop and I need the credits anyway.

College just wants your money. The end. They don’t care about your health and well-being. They want you to take as many courses as possible so you pay them a tonne of money. Then they set up the environment perfectly with all sorts of distractions (which you need to participate in to stay sane), but if you devote any significant amount of time to them you just get even more stressed out. And all that stress is just what they want you to go through to increase the odds of you failing the class. Because once you fail you don’t get the credits and you need to take another course and give them more money if you want to get that shiny piece of paper that you even need to work at a ****ing McDonalds now!

I hate college. I hate everything about it. I wish it wasn’t a god damn requirement and I wish it wasn’t set up to steal away everything you have from your mind to your time to your money to even your body. It’s the biggest racket in America and I can’t wait till the day everyone else finally gets fed up with it and we burn them all to the ground.

D

Deleted member

College classes need to stop giving themselves fun names if they’re actually really hard. I would not have taken this lab required-heavy study science class if it hadn’t been named “DNA: Friend or Foe?” I just wanted to relax this semester after two while years of college that was so stressful I [REDACTED]. Not this.

College just wants your money. The end. They don’t care about your health and well-being. They want you to take as many courses as possible so you pay them a tonne of money. Then they set up the environment perfectly with all sorts of distractions (which you need to participate in to stay sane), but if you devote any significant amount of time to them you just get even more stressed out. And all that stress is just what they want you to go through to increase the odds of you failing the class. Because once you fail you don’t get the credits and you need to take another course and give them more money if you want to get that shiny piece of paper that you even need to work at a ****ing McDonalds now!

I hate college. I hate everything about it. I wish it wasn’t a god damn requirement and I wish it wasn’t set up to steal away everything you have from your mind to your time to your money to even your body. It’s the biggest racket in America and I can’t wait till the day everyone else finally gets fed up with it and we burn them all to the ground.
Isn't the whole point of collage to learn(and get a degree)? Sure they need to make money, but generally that's a side objective, not the main thing.
It's like saying the Bank is a greedy corporation, sure they make alot of money, but that's just one part of their operation(and honestly that's not a very good example)

D

Deleted member

Y'all want a new topic? Well look no further than this bad boy right here, Dr. Kawashima is officially back in business:
A new Brain Age game was revealed and is being developed! I don't know about any of you but this is getting me excited as I have some nostagia for the DS version.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

As an educator, while I sympathize with you, this is a real bad take.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Seeing testimonials like this of college make me so glad that I had the experience I did. I took classes like Media, Film Studies, Music History, Art History, Photoshop, and Video Editing and really enjoyed my time for the most part.

D

Deleted member

Individual professors probably don’t want this stuff. That’s true. But college is a business at the end of the day. And this is exactly what the business people running it want.
But still, don't business's need to make money anyway? So what do you expect from collage exactly?
This is going to be a repeat of the whole "I hate Nintendo because they are greedy pieces of ****" thing, isn't it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I knew colleges in US required money, but you have pay for each course? Wow, it's worse than I thought.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Seeing testimonials like this of college make me so glad that I had the experience I did. I took classes like Media, Film Studies, Music History, Art History, Photoshop, and Video Editing and really enjoyed my time for the most part.
I would have loved to stick to classes like that. But I have to get “General education credits” to “widen my breadth of knowledge”

D

Deleted member

I knew colleges in US required money, but you have pay for each course? Wow, it's worse than I thought.
That is the one thing I don't really like about collages in general, but I plan to save up money before college anyway(and considering my dream job, I don't really need to go to college, but I may as well to get some experience)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But still, don't business's need to make money anyway? So what do you expect from collage exactly?
This is going to be a repeat of the whole "I hate Nintendo because they are greedy pieces of ****" thing, isn't it.
They need to make money. Yes. But they should not do it through predatory business practices.

D

Deleted member

They need to make money. Yes. But they should not do it through predatory business practices.
How is asking for money in exchange for services(in this case, an education) predatory?

Unless you're refering to something else, in which case, can you explain what you mean?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man if I could trade my problems with some of y'all's I'd be one happy camper.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I would have loved to stick to classes like that. But I have to get “General education credits” to “widen my breadth of knowledge”
I did also take some less fun classes, but I just don't remember what they were because they don't feel important now. And that's the problem, isn't it? From a fairly young age we're forced into taking classes that we don't care about that teach us things that don't matter to us, just because it has been decided that everyone has to know trigonometry or biology even though they will never be relevant to most people's lives. The educational system is flawed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

While I do think there are several unnecessary positions created just so people "in the click" can get a hefty salary, college is supposed to be an investment, not a place to stop by whenever you feel like taking a class for funsies.

I spent two years going through nursing school, and I've got another three and a half in front of me if I wanna become a nurse practitioner. On top of my 8 hour classes Wednesday and Friday, I also have labs, clinicals, and study groups. Not to mention I have to do all of this while working 12 hour shifts at a hospital and supporting myself. Yeah it's rough, but as hard as it is, I know that I have to work hard now to relax later. If I accomplish my goal, I could be making $60 an hour, which would put me right above a six figure yearly salary. That's my incentive to keep working hard.

I know college is tough, but if you struggle in a class, you're just gonna have to adapt. Difficult classes and instructors are just part of it.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The variation must be nice but tbh I prefer the university system we have over here where you focus on just one subject (or on rarer occasions, maybe two) - I don't feel like you should be forced to do subjects you know you don't enjoy once you're 18 and have left school

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is a hot take for everyone

In my opinion, if you remove the micro transactions and loot boxes, this has honestly been one of the best gaming gens in a long time. At least that’s how I see it

osby

Smash Obsessed
I did also take some less fun classes, but I just don't remember what they were because they don't feel important now. And that's the problem, isn't it? From a fairly young age we're forced into taking classes that we don't care about that teach us things that don't matter to us, just because it has been decided that everyone has to know trigonometry or biology even though they will never be relevant to most people's lives. The educational system is flawed.
Eh, I don't agree that you should only learn what will be useful to you later.

Getting to know a variety of topics helps you to become more open-minded and connect information better, even if individual subjects don't have direct purposes.

D

Deleted member

Here is a hot take for everyone

In my opinion, if you remove the micro transactions and loot boxes, this has honestly been one of the best gaming gens in a long time. At least that’s how I see it
Honestly I agree. In just the last 5 years, we got some absolute bangers of games:

LOZ: Breath of the WIld
Undertale
The FNAF franchise as a whole
Minecraft's resurgence
SSBU
MARIO Odyssey(debatable honestly)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Eh, I don't agree that you should only learn what will be useful to you later.

Getting to know a variety of topics helps you to become more open-minded and connect information better, even if individual subjects don't have direct purposes.
I guess, but certainly not to the extent school goes to now. As much as I like my language, there was no need for me to take English classes all through high school and then have more of them in college, by my second year of high school I had everything I was going to absorb mentally locked and I just spent every other English class bored. Same goes for math, by my third year I would skip homework, skip studying, and come in to basically ace the test. At a certain point, classes stop being about learning and start becoming inane busywork.

D

Deleted member

If Hasbro officially cancels the new LPS show, I’m going to go so mad that it’ll make Jevil look completely sane

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My experience with college has been that it gatekeeps people from getting their degree for somewhat arbitrary reasons. Maybe it's just my college (which is a commuter's school) and being in a highly competitive field, but I've known some really smart people who are having a hard time moving forward with their education or even are at risk of getting kicked out because they're performing poorly in their classes. They do poorly not because they don't get the material, but because they're in a difficult situation that makes it hard to get everything done, or because they have testing anxiety, or whatever. Someone I know who already has a ton of industry experience doing what they want to do in life had to fight really hard not to get kicked out trying to get the piece of paper that makes them more employable because they weren't doing well in their classes.

College has also taught me a bunch, so definitely necessary, but some change in the system is desperately needed, at least in the US.

D

Deleted member

My college experience so far is "huh. Maybe I shouldn't have enrolled immediately after high school"

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
College math made me want to set fire to the school

And then go to the gaming center and play video games because the gaming center is disconnected from the actual college and is in no risk of burning down

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom