• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yes it's the Oregon Trail game.

It's a very old game where you tried to get your caravan of people from the Eastern US to the West Coast and people would die along the way if you didn't play it well. "____ died of dysentery" is kind of a meme from it.
Oooh, now I get it.

I may have to check the game if I am able to.

Maybe I find a rom somewhere online.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>mfw a dumb TTG episode was just a parody of Oregon Trail

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
You know I’m kind of surprised that there hasn’t been a major attempt to reboot the Oregon Trail brand with more modern gameplay/graphics.

It has great brand recognition and Red Dead has proved cowboys are still cool to the general public. Also due to its legacy, it could have a market for education sector. It seems like something you could really sell to studio executives and get funding for, I’m really not sure who owns the rights to the game currently, but whoever they are I think they’re sleeping on top of goldmine.

D

Deleted member

You know I’m kind of surprised that there hasn’t been a major attempt to reboot the Oregon Trail brand with more modern gameplay/graphics.

It has great brand recognition and Red Dead has proved cowboys are still cool to the general public. Also due to its legacy, it could have a market for education sector. It seems like something you could really sell to studio executives and get funding for, I’m really not sure who owns the rights to the game currently, but whoever they are I think they’re sleeping on top of goldmine.
As long as the remake isn’t made by EA or Konami (unless they surprise us), I would be all in.

D

Deleted member

Incidentally, still don't understand why people get so mad over death battle. At least smash is official, this is literally medium budget fan fiction.

What if Red Dead IS an Oregon Trail reboot and that's gonan be the big plot twist in the third game where the main character dies of dysentery while fording a river?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think that if we get ANY non-game characters, then Goku should be the only one. Except maybe Captain N, who I think should be treated differently since Nintendo actually owns his character.
I think that part of the problem is that once you make one exception, it's a lot harder to justify not making more. Imagine how rabid fanbases would have gotten if, during Brawl, Snake was the only third party character, or if they didn't add any new third party characters in future games and just left it at Snake and Sonic. (I'm sure some people would claim that's ideal, for reasons that I cannot fathom, but that's not what I'm getting at here)

Fanbases for characters like Mega Man would erupt, pointing out that someone like Mega Man makes just as much sense (if not more) as the third party characters that got in Brawl, so why should he be excluded?

Now extend that to every form of media - people could say "if Goku got in, why can't (Spider-Man/Mickey Mouse/Batman/Spongebob Squarepants/Harry Potter/Naruto...)?" It would never end.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

> plays video out of boredom
> recognizes that famous clock
> Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa--

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Question, how likely do you think it is the amiibo exclusive neighbors return in animal crossing switch? Do you think we could get more?

I hope that both of these end up happening. It was a really cool feature and ganon as a neighbor was amazing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that if we get ANY non-game characters, then Goku should be the only one. Except maybe Captain N, who I think should be treated differently since Nintendo actually owns his character.
The exact ownership of Captain N is actually up in the air. He's technically a separate character from Captain Nintendo, who he's based on. DiC may very well own the character.

Shroob

Sup?
My little sister just got a dozen pink roses from the boy that's been crushing on her.

She's 15, but, man this triggers my "Protective older brother" instincts real bad.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
You know, would Kasumi be a good way to introduce echo DLC? I mean, we started DLC with Joker and that turned out well, so how about Personaing it again?
november-ish time would seem a little late to actively start something going forward (especially since DLC ends by feb 2020), but it wouldn't surprise me to see one or two before then being sold under the individual DLC section as surprise update bonuses, e.g. 5.0.0's overview unveiling octoling for £2.49 or whatever in the middle

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
november-ish time would seem a little late to actively start something going forward (especially since DLC ends by feb 2020), but it wouldn't surprise me to see one or two before then being sold under the individual DLC section as surprise update bonuses, e.g. 5.0.0's overview unveiling octoling for £2.49 or whatever in the middle
That is, of course, assuming this pass is the only unique character DLC we will get. I do agree that echo DLC would very likely be individual.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
The popularity of echo dlc as a concept always confused me. Why pay for something you already have? It's basically just a skin. The only way I could get behind it if it was a free update.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My little sister just got a dozen pink roses from the boy that's been crushing on her.

She's 15, but, man this triggers my "Protective older brother" instincts real bad.
thats more like a dad instinct

the man spent money on roses hes at least dedicated lets just hope he doesnt look like a goblin

D

Deleted member

One thing that has me questioning DLC echoes, at least outside of Kasumi, is that Sakurai seemed reluctant to add dlc in the first place, so I'm not sure why he would spend extra time making echoes too. Perhaps Nintendo could have requested certain characters as echoes but that does feel a bit odd.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think that part of the problem is that once you make one exception, it's a lot harder to justify not making more. Imagine how rabid fanbases would have gotten if, during Brawl, Snake was the only third party character, or if they didn't add any new third party characters in future games and just left it at Snake and Sonic. (I'm sure some people would claim that's ideal, for reasons that I cannot fathom, but that's not what I'm getting at here)

Fanbases for characters like Mega Man would erupt, pointing out that someone like Mega Man makes just as much sense (if not more) as the third party characters that got in Brawl, so why should he be excluded?

Now extend that to every form of media - people could say "if Goku got in, why can't (Spider-Man/Mickey Mouse/Batman/Spongebob Squarepants/Harry Potter/Naruto...)?" It would never end.
That’s true. But at the same time, he’s Goku. And this is Smash Ultimate. Make him like, the last dlc Character and say every game after is playing by different rules.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
******'s 14.

What kinda kid goes full-on Romeo at 14?
lots of 14 year olds

i got stories dude. i dont mean just stories, stories. i saw mad **** happen the last 4 years in high school

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The popularity of echo dlc as a concept always confused me. Why pay for something you already have? It's basically just a skin. The only way I could get behind it if it was a free update.
I mean, from the sound of things, there are totally people who would pay for skins. Not egregious amounts of course, but would still be willing.
One thing that has me questioning DLC echoes, at least outside of Kasumi, is that Sakurai seemed reluctant to add dlc in the first place, so I'm not sure why he would spend extra time making echoes too. Perhaps Nintendo could have requested certain characters as echoes but that does feel a bit odd.
Maybe as a result of extra time or money? It kinda sounds like the creation of characters that are echos was a result of such.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The exact ownership of Captain N is actually up in the air. He's technically a separate character from Captain Nintendo, who he's based on. DiC may very well own the character.
Don’t play with me possum. I know my stuff on this. The character is owned by Nintendo, but the actual episodes of the show are owned by DiC.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Say we did do get a Season Pass 2 but its for Echo Fighters. Which characters would be the most likely to get said DLC Echo Fighters?

Said Echo Season Pass has 6 characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don’t play with me possum. I know my stuff on this. The character is owned by Nintendo, but the actual episodes of the show are owned by DiC.
Do you have an actual source though?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Say we did do get a Season Pass 2 but its for Echo Fighters. Which characters would be the most likely to get said DLC Echo Fighters?

I would say Kasumi because we have actual code hinting at such, but I imagine first parties have a better shot than third parties.

D

Deleted member

Eight as an echo of a potential DQ rep, Coco Bandicoot as a Crash echo, Mach Rider as a Captain Falcon echo, Gyigas as a Mewtwo echo on the style of Ken, Funky Kong as a DK echo and Kasumi.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

uhhhh if we're still taking out assist trophies

dixie kong
MGS2 raiden
black shadow

thats literally all i can come up with

Funky Kong as a DK echo
what an absolute disgrace to the character

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not really a fan of echo DLC (the only ones that I think I'd be okay with are Jeanne from Bayonetta and the Octolings), but I can see why; the people behind the game can't be expected to work for free. There would have to be new voice acting, changes made to the characters, testing and balancing - it's not as much as work as a unique character, but I assume it would be priced accordingly. ($1 or $2, I'd think)

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the real question is have you seen how much some fighting game developers charge for skins that aren't even that high quality (looking at you capcom)?

if i could get a 'skin' that substantially revamped a character's animations, voice, taunts, victory poses, and even attack properties/entire moves for as low as like $2.99 that'd be one hell of a bargain by the genre's standards

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Kasumi is an easy pick to choose too, tbh.
so that's 4

octolings is 5 cause i forgot they existed
you can probably add medusa as a palu clone, maybe give her one of the scrapped moves from 4 as a different special

that would make 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom