• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Regarding the Mario movie discussion that's been going on, I feel the main issue is less who they cast/which characters are in as opposed to what the plot will be

"Mario saves the Princess" might be sufficient for a game but there's no way that's enough for a film which, even if they're aimed at kids, have to follow some kind of narrative structure
I want it to subvert the typical story. I think a fun angle would be that it starts as the standard plot, but as it keeps going it deviates more and more and becomes stranger and stranger, and Mario gets increasingly more annoyed and frustrated with the new elements (reflective of miyamoto’s stance on story in Mario). It would also be fun to play Mario as kind of arrogant. “He’s the hero of the land who always saves the princess easily and everyone LOVES him”. That kind of thing.

And then there’s a post credit scene where Sonic brutally murders him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey um

Dystify Music’s Splatoon 2 OST has been blocked by Nintendo on Copyright grounds???

WE GETTING OCTOLING FOR SMASH WITH NEW SPLATOON 2/OCTO EXPANSION MUSIC Y’ALL

...I wish...
In particular, the following tracks are blocked by Nintendo:
  • Tidal Rush
  • Bomb Rush Blush (feat. DJ Octavio)
  • Spicy Calamari Inkantation
  • Nasty Majesty
  • Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo)
Surprising lack of Splattack (Octo) in that list but the fact those FIVE tracks were blocked... hmmm...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I had a rather arachnophobia fueled nightmare last night

There were these spiders with big white bulbous bodies that would SPIT poison. Yes, you read that right. With a realistic spitting sound and they’d often attack in... bathrooms for some reason (don’t ask why I was in a bathroom)

I hope to God those spiders don’t actually exist
Hmm. All I dreamed about last night was a double-kidnapping murder mystery that I was solving with S

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I sure as heck wouldn't go see a movie about Peach getting kidnapped for the billionth damn time
That's another thing: while 'damsel in distress' tropes exist in non-video game mediums to a certain extent, you rarely see it played as straight as it is in Mario. Will Miyamoto insist on a simple 'Mario saves the princess' scenario, or will Illumination push for something a bit more nuanced?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
  • Tidal Rush
  • Nasty Majesty
Surprising lack of Splattack (Octo) in that list but the fact those FIVE tracks were blocked... hmmm...
Echo fighter Pass.... anything to get to 100 Fighters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A funny thought came to me. What if among the DLC fighters we got was King Mickey and...

Sora as a Mii costume.

Oh man the salt that'd spawn. :laugh:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's another thing: while 'damsel in distress' tropes exist in non-video game mediums to a certain extent, you rarely see it played as straight as it is in Mario. Will Miyamoto insist on a simple 'Mario saves the princess' scenario, or will Illumination push for something a bit more nuanced?
Mario is sick of having to rescue her so HE kidnaps Peach!

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
  • Tidal Rush
  • Nasty Majesty
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is chill with the smash soundtrack being on YouTube so it probably means nothing

I think dystify in particular has had his Splatoon uploads taken down before

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its a headcanon of mine that the Mario characters in the mainline games are really actors playing in movies and in reality Mario and Bowser are good friends who outside of acting during their spare time particulates in tennis, kart racing, golfing and such.

Kinda true though since there was an statement about that by Miyamoto.

Last edited:

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Hopefully the plot is just a little bit more interesting than the typical Mario saves Peach bull****. If she does get kidnapped, then at the very least it shouldn't be for the majority of the movie.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
They'll play it off as Mario and all visiting Peach in her castle and sharing some nice moments before Bowser comes and ruins the moment and takes her to a faraway place. To get to her, Mario will need the help of various friends to overcome the obstacles or collect some macguffins to depower and/or overpower a macguffin Bowser has.

They can also have Peach briefly struggle with Bowser given she can actually fight before being subdued.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Its a headcanon of mine that the Mario characters in the mainline games are really actors playing in movies and in reality Mario and Bowser are good friends who outside of acting during their spare time particulates in tennis, kart racing, golfing and such.

Kinda true though since there was an statement about that by Miyamoto.
Kinda like Roger Rabbit. Actually, that was a consistent thing in a lot of old cartoons.

But for some reason, the idea that this is what Mario is makes me frustrated. Like, it almost feels like an excuse not to try. And it feels like an insult to other people who treat their games like they really do take place in some other world.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Dragon Quest I, II, and III are coming to the Switch in the West. :grin:

There goes more of my money...

https://twitter.com/nineverything/status/1173584186642325509?s=21
Awesome! I've been wanting to play these, but they weren't available on any Virtual Console, and the Wii collection of those games never released outside of Japan. I know that there are mobile versions, but I wasn't a fan of the controls.

Also, they're available much sooner than I expected - they come out September 27th, so in less than two weeks. Between Dragon Quest 11, Ori and the Blind Forest, and these three, I'm going to be pretty busy.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Awesome! I've been wanting to play these, but they weren't available on any Virtual Console, and the Wii collection of those games never released outside of Japan. I know that there are mobile versions, but I wasn't a fan of the controls.

Also, they're available much sooner than I expected - they come out September 27th, so in less than two weeks. Between Dragon Quest 11, Ori and the Blind Forest, and these three, I'm going to be pretty busy.
Same here, I’m gonna have a massive backlog of games to play through. :lol:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Ring Fit girl got in Smash, would she get her own series symbol? Or would the two be classified together?
Almost certainly separate. Find Mii and Tomodachi Life didn't share a symbol, after all.

D

Deleted member

Wonder if Gamefreak will reveal anything today. Pretty much anything would be better after Dexit

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still think they should. Considering there actually is a generic Mii symbol in the code.
I don't disagree. Hell, the spirit list just uses the generic Mii symbol for all of the Mii series if I remember correctly. I'm just saying there's a precedent for unique symbols.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't disagree. Hell, the spirit list just uses the generic Mii symbol for all of the Mii series if I remember correctly. I'm just saying there's a precedent for unique symbols.
I get it. It’s frustrating that that’s the way it is. I wish it was not.
Like, Paper Mario and Mario Kart share a symbol with the main series, but not Wrecking Crew?
Also, Mii Fighters should be classified as Mii series characters like they are on the website. They’re freaking Miis!
Oh my god yes we do
and it needs it's own selection of songs
A la carte Stage DLC. Mario Party, Olympic Games, Tetris, Minecraft, Skyrim. Maybe some classic stages like Orbital Gate Assault and Poké Floats.

Stage Pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hopefully the plot is just a little bit more interesting than the typical Mario saves Peach bull****. If she does get kidnapped, then at the very least it shouldn't be for the majority of the movie.
Pretty much just handle Peach being kidnapped like in the RPGs (rescued halfway in the game, actually has a character, or what you do on the adventure is so interesting to where its simple premise is forgivable) and it'll be fine. Otherwise, this movie's a skip for me.

D

Deleted member

What's your guy's opinion on Pokemon Sword and Shield?

Personally, I'm not buying(literally)the idea that they cut the National Dex to "improve the graphics." While yes the graphics are better, The battle animations are not.
That is where I smell bull****.
Mainly because if you want to improve the graphics by cutting a large amount of content, YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY IMPROVE CRAP AND NOT JUST UPSCALE ANIMATIONS AND IMPORT THEM!

Case in point, this comparison between Let's go and Gen 8:

Attachments

D

Deleted member

What's your guy's opinion on Pokemon Sword and Shield?
Pokemon just bores me now. I always put it down around halfway through the game. I don't really care for the national dex because generally I use a new team every game anyways. It's a skip for me, but the soundtrack will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom