• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Man I love popping over to Reddit and seeing people calling out Smashboards for "Sucking Sakurais **** over character choices because he can do no wrong"

Sorry we're more accepting of new ideas than you lmao
That's funny considering quite a few of us have been salty af, I don't know what they're on about

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Like, the week Hero got banned from that one tiny region, the Smash reddit was all 100% "LOL HERO SO OP *clip*, BAN HERO *clip* HERO RUINED THE GAME *clip*, LOOK AT HERO BEING HEALTHY *clip* LEFFEN ON TWITTER SAID", Like shut up, get your own opinion on things.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
The Smash subreddit is like notoriously toxic lmao. Also full of Leffen Stans, as mentioned, so that's not that surprising.
Tell me about it. I once made a post there about brainstorming ideas about Seasonal Alts for characters just for fun. Then a guy tells me that it’s never happening, so i told him I’m doing this for fun, only to get negative dislikes over it.

It’s like people interpret some things people are thinking of as something that person wants to happen, and would complain about it if criticized, even though it isn’t the case.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like, the week Hero got banned from that one tiny region, the Smash reddit was all 100% "LOL HERO SO OP *clip*, BAN HERO *clip* HERO RUINED THE GAME *clip*, LOOK AT HERO BEING HEALTHY *clip* LEFFEN ON TWITTER SAID", Like shut up, get your own opinion on things.
Do what I do and only browse the good reddit comments.

Screenshot_20190915-143653_Opera.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
The Isaac board had a nuclear meltdown, Christ that was bad.
I still remember the thread trying to discredit Verg because his autistic comment.

Was it an incredibly ****ty thing to say? Absolutely.

But that.... doesn't suddenly make him less credible.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What I also don’t like from the casual Smash community is that some people are argue towards other if they say what they would like in Smash, saying that their most wanted would never be playable, and that they should feel bad.

Like for example:
Guy 1: Hey guys, my most wanted is this character, sure it may not happen, but it would be nice for this inclu-

Guy 2: STOP RIGHT THeRE! YOU WANT A CHARACTER THAT I DONT LIKE/THINK WONt HAPPEN! SHUT THE **** UP! THAT CHARACTER DOESNT “DESERVE” TO BE IN THIS ALL STAR GAME!

Guy 1: But dude. I wasn’t whining about my inclusion, I just simply would like this character to be I-

Guy 2: NOPE! yOUR BIAS! YOUr A TOXIC *Most wanted pick* FANBOY! SO GET THE **** OUT!

I mean....

Why....

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Y'all ever just read a grown man canceling his Switch preorder over Isaac getting shafted?
Dude, that really happened?

Honestly, I don’t really recall Golden Sun being a big franchise, so unless I’m completely wrong, I have no idea what some of those fellas were expecting.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What I also don’t like from the casual Smash community is that some people are argue towards other if they say what they would like in Smash, saying that their most wanted would never be playable, and that they should feel bad.

Like for example:
Guy 1: Hey guys, my most wanted is this character, sure it may not happen, but it would be nice for this inclu-

Guy 2: STOP RIGHT THeRE! YOU WANT A CHARACTER THAT I DONT LIKE/THINK WONt HAPPEN! SHUT THE **** UP! THAT CHARACTER DOESNT “DESERVE” TO BE IN THIS ALL STAR GAME!

Guy 1: But dude. I wasn’t whining about my inclusion, I just simply would like this character to be I-

Guy 2: NOPE! yOUR BIAS! YOUr A TOXIC *Most wanted pick* FANBOY! SO GET THE **** OUT!

I mean....

Why....
I personally think stuff like this gets even worse when a leak comes by because you’ll get people who would act like absolute assholes if you disagree with the leak, since they can’t seem to comprehend that something that seems very likely, is being disagreed with someone that’s different, and wasn’t acting like a **** in the first place.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord

Like for example:

I mean....

Why....
This used to happen to me on a daily basis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shroob

Sup?
I personally think stuff like this gets even worse when a leak comes by because you’ll get people who would act like absolute ******** if you disagree with the leak, since they can’t seem to comprehend that something that seems very likely, is being disagreed with someone that’s different, and wasn’t acting like a **** in the first place.
I will say though

At this point, going against Vergeben is kinda a uphill battle.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Honestly, I don’t really recall Golden Sun being a big franchise, so unless I’m completely wrong, I have no idea what some of those fellas were expecting.
Ridley and K Rool got everyone hyped up, believing every character to ever grace a fan poll would get in. In the base roster, no less.

osby

Smash Obsessed

There were no signs of Isaac's Assist Trophy.

And some Smash fans think lack of evidence is evidence.

D

Deleted member

That's just how Reddit works. If you dare to disagree the popular opinion then you get downvoted into oblivion, so everyone ends up only posting things that agree with that opinion so they can get Karma, causing subreddits often end up becoming one giant echo chamber.

D

Deleted member

Ridley and K Rool got everyone hyped up, believing every character to ever grace a fan poll would get in. In the base roster, no less.
Ngl that was my expectation too. Made Piranha Plant that much more salt inducing in retrospect lol.

D

Deleted member

That's just how Reddit works. If you dare to disagree the popular opinion then you get downvoted into oblivion, so everyone ends up only posting things that agree with that opinion so they can get Karma, causing subreddits often end up becoming one giant echo chamber.
There are some legit okay reddits depending on the subject. It's like the YouTube comment section. Generally, a lot of comments are positive or neutral so long as its not a divisive topic like politics or Egoraptor's OoT video.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I had Isaac deconfirmed, and I was a bit upset, but then when Plant came along, I was dying with laughter.

Sometimes, it's cool if you don't get what you want if you can enjoy other silly things like Plant.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Smash subreddit is like notoriously toxic lmao. Also full of Leffen Stans, as mentioned, so that's not that surprising.
I took so much **** on there in that 2014-2018 period because I kept standing up for Ridley, I was always met with toxicity even if I put a lot of thought into my posts and delivered it in a respectful manner. The only counterargument I was met with was "But Sakurai said...", and yeah, I wasn't ever discussing his likelihood (I had given up at that point), I was only ever discussing my vision of how I believed he could work.

The Smash Subreddit is such a bad place for speculation, not just because of the toxicity, but also the whole format just doesn't lend itself to anything but the circlejerk. Reddit in general is only good for news, headlines and gifs, it utterly fails as a forum.

D

Deleted member

Y'all ever just read a grown man canceling his Switch preorder over Isaac getting shafted?
Yep that's a yikes. I was definitely disappointed/felt bad when Isaac was an Assist yet again but I wouldn't go that far. People need to stop looking so deep into stuff like that Rathalos tweet just cause it was a reference doesn't mean it was a hint and when it goes wrong they're disappointed and furious.

People need to realize that a reference towards something does not equal a hint towards something. I would've liked for Isaac to get in but no reason to act like toxic man children when stuff doesn't go your way.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
no, let the sheep follow the herder as they get led to a cliff and fall

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly though one of my favourite reactions is someone pulling a "Why are we here? Just to suffer?" Because their most wanted didn't get in. Then doing it again when Sakurai mentioned he considered someone else who also wasn't that person's most wanted

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly the downvote system is trash.

It was implemented to get rid of off topic comments and spam and stuff, but nowadays it’s used to silence opinions that don’t fit the circlejerk.

D

Deleted member

Honestly though one of my favourite reactions is someone pulling a "Why are we here? Just to suffer?" Because their most wanted didn't get in. Then doing it again when Sakurai mentioned he considered someone else who also wasn't that person's most wanted
Honestly the best moment for me was this one guy I debated Erdrick with nonstop in the Geno thread came into the Erdrick support thread after Hero's reveal and actually gave praise to Dragon Quest being in Smash. That was so wholesome.

What? Not every steak needs salt on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly the downvote system is trash.

It was implemented to get rid of off topic comments and spam and stuff, but nowadays it’s used to silence opinions that don’t fit the circlejerk.
Eh, it has its uses.

*Literally every FGO player, being okay with censoring a racist charicature*

*5 dudes* "REEEEE CENSORSHIP"

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Toxicity has been there, no matter what. Most of the fans who echo the toxic parts are those who are pretty much never going to be satisfied, which unfortunately, seems to stem mostly from those who are part of the Nintendo fanbase side of things.

Obviously most of the vocal Smash fans are Nintendo fans. There’s a reason, though, for the sentiment around this speculation cycle that “Smash fans don’t play other games”. It’s almost like Smash fans are only pro-Nintendo. It was like pulling teeth for 3rd party picks during Wii U/3DS talk, mainly with folks saying “relationship to Nintendo” and “seems like they fit in with Nintendo characters” or “Snake got cut because he didn’t fit”. We then got Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta, 3 characters on pretty much no ones minds around these parts(even though they probably should have been). Meanwhile, fans entertained ideas like Frogger to “complete the rainbow”.

If you ask me, even when I remove the fact that most of my wants are 3rd parties, it becomes clear that the vision for the game has changed. Fans of only-Nintendo characters, or the same old characters that have been echoed for the last 5-6 years are going to be raving for Sakurais head, mainly because their vision is clearly different than his is. While the “Nintendo-purist” attitude isn’t exclusively toxic, it’s been almost as if people view characters or series that aren’t related to Nintendo in any way as “bad” when in reality they’re monumental to the gaming industry, while Nintendo picks are scraping the barrel and don’t make the game any bigger.

Do I blame Nintendo fans for wanting the characters they want? No, I do not. Nintendo is my favorite gaming company, has brought me exceptional memories, and clearly have for many, many people. It is easy for me to sit here and say, “Get used to 3rd parties”, when I have basically gotten every character I wanted this far.

What I do hold against fans is that their attitude is extremely limiting, and it’s because of their own experience with games that they’re close-minded when it comes to Smash. It’s much harder to be open-minded when one doesn’t check out non-Nintendo games, and therefore view them as unappealing for Smash. It’s why series like Layton and Ace Attorney used to be the #1 pick (not that they don’t have qualities on their own), and why characters that wouldn’t make any actual splash (Cooking Mama) were favorable for a time over big name picks like Dante, Leon/Jill, Heihachi, etc..

For Smash fans, I think it’s time, but quite late to realize the world outside of Nintendo games. Sakurai has been pointed out as a “student of gaming” not just Nintendo, and this is said as a reference to the DLC. If the DLC continues to be 3rd party and with a potential shill pick or two (Edelgard and/or Astral Chain protags), fans are going to get PISSED. This game will go down as the greatest crossover in potentially all media, yet there are fans out there, within our community (and it’s really not just one or two) who will say it’s a disappointment.

This isn’t necessarily going to convince anyone, I am aware. But the Smash fanbase needs to check itself, for real. This isn’t pointing out really anyone here...you dudes are pretty cool compared to the community at large. My issue is the image the speculation community has for itself, showing it really has no idea what it’s talking about most of the time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the best moment for me was this one guy I debated Erdrick with nonstop in the Geno thread came into the Erdrick support thread after Hero's reveal and actually gave praise to Dragon Quest being in Smash. That was so wholesome.

What? Not everything steak needs salt on it.
Well, AKSHUALLY, Erdrick was a mii costume so the leaks were wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom