• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
so glad we're finally getting a sims fighter

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ironically, considering the statements of Sakurai liking to support the Japanese gaming industry, and this talk about bringing in new collabs...it almost seems like Terry Bogard was partially added because Nintendo fans hardly knew him

Hilarious if true.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Ironically, considering the statements of Sakurai liking to support the Japanese gaming industry, and this talk about bringing in new collabs...it almost seems like Terry Bogard was partially added because Nintendo fans hardly knew him

Hilarious if true.
the next fighter will corner the real-time strategy market with the reveal of monk from age of empires

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And if we look to PC gaming, there's the point and click adventure games.

Japan's had a couple of them like the original Clock Tower along with the ones more familiar in the west like King Graham from King's Quest, Roger Wilco from Space Quest and Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island.

Sadly Sam and Max don't make the cut. They were comic book characters.

D

Deleted member

Hilarious if true.
Y'all we really gonna get Gandhi from Civilization

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
PushDustin is translating the latest Sakurai column right now in a Twitter thread.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Still think he’ll stick to franchises that will engage Nintendo fans in those IP, as well as bring in fans of those IP to Nintendo. It makes sense. It doesn’t mean 3rd party franchises that have more Nintendo presence than others don’t have a chance or something, but I think there’s something to be said about series that don’t have as much of a Nintendo following benefitting from this mindset.
I'd say in terms of third parties it'd be a mixture. While we do have characters whose influence are more limited with Nintendo fans (Joker, and now Terry), we also got two franchises that have heavy ties to Nintendo. Despite how big DQ is in Japan much of its history is on Nintendo consoles while Banjo and Kazooie owe their inclusion almost entirely to Nintendo. If that same mindset is carried to the next few DLC characters then there's still probably going to be franchises like Phoenix Wright thrown into the mix just as much as there could be franchises like Tomb Raider.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
And if we look to PC gaming, there's the point and click adventure games.

Japan's had a couple of them like the original Clock Tower along with the ones more familiar in the west like King Graham from King's Quest, Roger Wilco from Space Quest and Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island.

Sadly Sam and Max don't make the cut. They were comic book characters.
Someone actually knows about Sam and Max? Wow, my brother just got into it recently and has been showing me clips from the Telltale games and cartoon. It's unlike anything I've seen before, but actually pretty amazing, especially the cartoon.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Hilarious if true.
If Nintendo chose Terry as one of the characters for Sakurai to consider, then they may have seen it as an opportunity to strengthen the ties between both companies. Shortly after Terry was revealed, the Neo Geo was announced, and there's no way that wasn't planned. It's got Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown - all the SNK clsssics.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if they'll try to appeal to South Korea and put in a Starcraft character.

Did they ever get Starcraft 64 over there?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I wonder if they'll try to appeal to South Korea and put in a Starcraft character.

Did they ever get Starcraft 64 over there?
>expanding to audiences outside smash
>overwatch on switch
>2020 characters

oh yeah it's all coming together

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
First person shooters are one of the big cornerstones of gaming in the west but niche in Japan (that's how you can tell PSASBR was made in the states) so there's a lot to take from there.

Doom
Half Life
Halo
Gears of War
Team Fortress 2
Overwatch
Bioshock
Borderlands

All of them have personality and a certain design to them.

Counterstrike, Call of Duty and Battlefield are massive but I don't think you can represent them as their "style" is to directly copy reality. Only character I can think of is Captain Price's moustache.
Just because a character uses a gun doesn’t mean they’re from an FPS. And besides, Killzone is really the only traditional shooter in that game. BioShock and Dead Space are more about horror and exploration (like Resident Evil and Metroid Prime) and Uncharted speaks for itself. And I don’t think you’d call Devil May Cry a shooter at all. And those are the only characters in the game who use guns. Heck. Big Daddy doesn’t even do THAT.

I will not let you besmirch that games name on my watch.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Someone actually knows about Sam and Max? Wow, my brother just got into it recently and has been showing me clips from the Telltale games and cartoon. It's unlike anything I've seen before, but actually pretty amazing, especially the cartoon.
I still think Sam and Max Season 1 is the best case of Episodic gaming done right.

Not a scattered long story but 6 Episodes of a cartoon that you can play in just about any order without getting lost.

D

Deleted member

See for yourself. Brace yourself.....Avert your eyes if you must.......

Um this better be vexed to the discount gaming websites with Fnaf world

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just because a character uses a gun doesn’t mean they’re from an FPS. And besides, Killzone is really the only traditional shooter in that game. BioShock and Dead Space are more about horror and exploration (like Resident Evil and Metroid Prime) and Uncharted speaks for itself. And I don’t think you’d call Devil May Cry a shooter at all. And those are the only characters in the game who use guns. Heck. Big Daddy doesn’t even do THAT.

I will not let you besmirch that games name on my watch.
What the heck are you on about? I didn't even mention half those games.
And a first person shooter is literally a camera descriptor. You're in the first person and you shoot at things. Portal is technically a first person shooter. Doesn't mean I'm insulting it.

D

Deleted member

: pensive emoji :
Looks like we're probably going to get the same thing as the fighters pass.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What the heck are you on about? I didn't even mention half those games.
And a first person shooter is literally a camera descriptor. You're in the first person and you shoot at things. Portal is technically a first person shooter. Doesn't mean I'm insulting it.
I was going off on your opening statement

First person shooters are one of the big cornerstones of gaming in the west but niche in Japan (that's how you can tell PSASBR was made in the states).
I’m sick of people dunking on that game. It’s the same stupid complaints all the time.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless the Fighter Pass was following a pre-planned theme of third-parties. If they're selling this upcoming DLC individually, they might have different ideas.

Regardless, there's 10 more slots that were found in Ultimate. If that's how many more characters we're getting, then I have a feeling we'll see at least a few first-party characters. I highly doubt they'd add 15 third-parties and not a single first-party outside PP.

D

Deleted member

Hey remember when everyone thought that since Nintendo chose the DLC we would get cynical marketing-based picks and picks that would appeal to the widest audience possible? And then we got Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie and Terry?
Good times

Lollipopped

Smash Lord

Hilarious if true.
Holy **** this means Zizou Olympia has a chance /s

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Unless the Fighter Pass was following a pre-planned theme of third-parties. If they're selling this upcoming DLC individually, they might have different ideas.

Regardless, there's 10 more slots that were found in Ultimate. If that's how many more characters we're getting, then I have a feeling we'll see at least a few first-party characters. I highly doubt they'd add 15 third-parties and not a single first-party outside PP.
I’m saving this. Just in case.

Also, conting echoes, when character 5 releases, the roster will stand at 82 Fighters. If he does 10 more fighters, then he’ll be 8 away from 100. Seriously. I would not put it past him to try to make fighting game history with the first ever 100 character roster (counting echoes)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m saving this. Just in case.

Also, conting echoes, when character 5 releases, the roster will stand at 82 Fighters. If he does 10 more fighters, then he’ll be 8 away from 100. Seriously. I would not put it past him to try to make fighting game history with the first ever 100 character roster (counting echoes)
Doesn't matter how close he gets. Nintendo is the one paying for all of this, and if they don't increase his budget a second time, then that's all we get.

Smash will get to 100 fighters someday. Might not be this game, but it will eventually.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was going off on your opening statement

I’m sick of people dunking on that game. It’s the same stupid complaints all the time.
Wasn't a dunk. It had more stuff from shooter games. Killzone had Radec as playable and Reistance had it's own stage and invaded the Ape Escape one if we focus on FPS games exclusivley.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the smash brothers will officially go on forever

it will never be decided who has won the smash brothers

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Doesn't matter how close he gets. Nintendo is the one paying for all of this, and if they don't increase his budget a second time, then that's all we get.

Smash will get to 100 fighters someday. Might not be this game, but it will eventually.
Considering how much of a marketing draw having a world record like that would be, and how great the dlc has been selling, I can’t see why they wouldn’t. Even if it’s just by adding like, 8 echo fighters.
Wasn't a dunk. It had more stuff from shooter games. Killzone had Radec as playable and Reistance had it's own stage and invaded the Ape Escape one if we focus on FPS games exclusivley.
It sounds like a dunk to me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Considering how much of a marketing draw having a world record like that would be, and how great the dlc has been selling, I can’t see why they wouldn’t. Even if it’s just by adding like, 8 echo fighters.

It sounds like a dunk to me.
It was a factual statement.
I don't know what problem you're seeing.
First person shooters exist, it's a broad term, Sony's team used more content from them than Sakurai's did.
It's got nothing to do with the quality of the games.

D

Deleted member

I made a rough mockup of what a Zoe Mii costume could look like
it's far from perfect, but I'm decently proud of it.
Zoe Mii Costume Mockup.png

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
The KFC dating simulator is God's greatest gift to mankind.

In all seriousness, I plan on purchasing it just for the lolz.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking of mobile games, I bet Sakurai could make an intresting moveset out of the Angrybirds. Maybe you control the Catapult on wheels and the Birds are kinda like Pikmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom