• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
After weeks of showing my younger cousin various Pokémon media, she’s told me her favorite Pokémon is Slowpoke.

The indoctrination is working.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
After weeks of showing my younger cousin various Pokémon media, she’s told me her favorite Pokémon is Slowpoke.

The indoctrination is working.
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow

1567032330545.png

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Playing through Fire Emblem Fates (the Birthright Route), and I'm not liking it as much as Awakening.

Part of it seems to be because the cast feels forgettable - outside of the royal family, I can only remember a handful of characters. It likely doesn't help that many of them don't seem to have a lot of story relevance. It's likely better that the game focuses on the royal family, but a big reason why I enjoy playing RPGs is because of the story and characters. I like how most of the cast gets focus and their time in the sun, like in Final Fantasy 7, where everyone has a story arc during the second disc. Here, characters just show up, say they're from Hoshido, and join the party, only to do nothing of note beyond that point.

It likely doesn't help that the cast seems implausibly young. I'm on chapter twelve, and out of the entire army that I've built up, there are only two, maybe four, of the characters that look over eighteen (Saizo, Kagerou, maybe Azama and Reina), and it doesn't help that a lot of the others look generically "cute", for the lack of a better word. There's nobody like Fredrick, Gregor, Basilio, or Miriel in the entire group to stand out in a visual sense. People like Oboro and Hinata just blend together for me.

I'm also not a fan of how many of the benefits of teaming two units up seem to have been removed. In Awakening, pairing units up meant that they could both fight in a battle, allowing both of them to gain experience. In Fates, this only seems to be the case when units are beside each other, and given that certain units travel much further than others, or can travel over terrain that others can't, it makes it harder to level up my party and build up their social ranks.

I'm hoping that the other routes, or Fire Emblem: Three Houses, have more variety in terms of character designs and gives the supporting cast more to do. In Awakening, I liked the unexpected significance of characters like Virion, and the way that the team-up mechanic was handled made it much easier to build those social links and grow attached to those characters.
Conquest has the batter characters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whoo man what a day it was. Most of the morning I bonded with the dogs, played with them outside finding different ways to play with them (Hiding the treats, running around the yard), trying to teach Sophie new tricks. All this to help simulate her mind to ease her anxiety she has before going inside still bonding with them watching the final season 2 episode of Stranger Things.

My brother and sister-in-law also kept dropping in and out to pack stuff up (Which I helped with with) as they're leaving next week doing traveling again going to New Zealand. Went out to Arby's as I do every end of the month (Due to the manager there being a friend of my dad's and having worked there a few months ago there years back giving me a special sandwich) then doing groceries.

Cousin also came to pick up this ski boat and my dad also invited my brother and sister-in-law for supper before afterwards I took the dogs for a walk.

Gotta keep on that consistency that way overtime Sophie will get better. She's still a puppy there's still lots for her to learn. :)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think you could easily do that though, given the context.

Both Sword/Shield and Three Houses are the most graphically impressive of their respective series, but less so than other games on the Switch. However, Three Houses's graphics weren't given as the reason for gutting a major part of the game's appeal.

With that in mind, it's easy to see how someone could praise Fire Emblem but criticize Pokémon. Both were a step forward, but Pokémon's wasn't a big enough step forward to offset the steps backwards that it took.
That's fair, but it's still frustrating to see so many people relentlessly bashing some cherry-picked issues from Sw/Sh's unfinished demo builds (low res backgrounds, "t-posing" wingulls, a steelix taking a second to pop in) when many or those problems are even worse in the finished Three Houses (drab low res backgrounds, even stiffer "t-posing" wyvern gambits, battalion soldiers constantly popping in and out) and almost no one is batting an eye at them.

Even of there's a reason for it it still feels like a serious double standard. You've got to admit that at least some dexiters are being irrational in their bashing. It's making the community extremely hostile towards anyone who has a positive opinion of the game right now.

Noipoi

Howdy!
He’s finally here preforming for you
If you know the words you can join in too
Put your hands together if you wanna clap
My wife left me and she took the kids

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's fair, but it's still frustrating to see so many people relentlessly bashing some cherry-picked issues from Sw/Sh's unfinished demo builds (low res backgrounds, "t-posing" wingulls, a steelix taking a second to pop in) when many or those problems are even worse in the finished Three Houses (drab low res backgrounds, even stiffer "t-posing" wyvern gambits, battalion soldiers constantly popping in and out) and almost no one is batting an eye at them.

Even of there's a reason for it it still feels like a serious double standard. You've got to admit that at least some dexiters are being irrational in their bashing. It's making the community extremely hostile towards anyone who has a positive opinion of the game right now.
Oh yeah. Three Houses is just uncomfortable to watch in motion, even without comparing it to anything. The models are passable, character animations are all stilted and shared between everybody, combat animations are just a major step down from Echoes, Hidari was just a better artist in general but he wasn't brought back for TH, backgrounds for cutscenes are abysmal, pop-ins, etc.

Straight up, a lot of cutscenes lose their emotional tensity because of how visually dull Three Houses looks. One example being Chapter 6 where the Death Knight, a villain built up throughout the entire month, just casually walks up to you before declaring he'll kill all of you. No pomp, celebration, style, or menace. Just... he's there.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
He’s finally here preforming for you
If you know the words you can join in too
Put your hands together if you wanna clap
My wife left me and she took the kids
DE-VORCED! Drifted Kids!
DE-VORCED! All my kids are gone!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
DE-VORCED! Drifted Kids!
DE-VORCED! All my kids are gone!
She's the divorced mother, you know her well
She's finally back, to take the kids
She's armed with a gun, in case you disagree
If she shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!
She's ticked off, upset, and angry too
she's the first member of the Karen crew!
Huh!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, I’ve always been the type of person to feel that visuals/graphics are placed 3rd/4th on my list of things I really care about with games these days. That in itself has made me quite different from my friends, because a lot of my local friends care quite a bit about graphics. It almost, honestly, seems to me that the more realistic we get, the more boring games become.

Like, Fire Emblem Three Houses is really good for me. Gameplay is solid, the story is well told from different points of view, and it does a good job of fleshing out the characters. The graphics aren’t like “OH MY GOD, AMAZING”, but for me they didn’t really have to be. I knew I’d enjoy playing it.

Of course, I’ll never place visuals as anything close to “more important” after getting The Order 1886 (otherwise known as Luigi’s Mansion 4K) which was ok with gameplay, but there was literally more cutscene than gameplay. I buy games to play, not to stare at.

Well, anyway, forget Rhea. Pick Edelgard.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Pardon for going off-topic for a brief moment, and an extra apology for beating a dead horse, but given the current circumstances in the Smash speculation cycle, how does everyone's personal Wish-List currently look?
My_Smash_Ultimate_DLC_Wants.png

Smash_Ultimate_DLC_Wants.png

If this template and question have been done together in the recent month, triple-sorry from me. Just figured I'd have fun with this since it's been so long since I've posted, and believe me, I still lurk around.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just unlocked :ultzss: by standing around and doing nothing. She used d-air on a breakable Brinstar platform, and just fell at 0%. Why.

Pardon for going off-topic for a brief moment, and an extra apology for beating a dead horse, but given the current circumstances in the Smash speculation cycle, how does everyone's personal Wish-List currently look?
View attachment 235986
View attachment 235987[/SPOILERS]

If this template and question have been done together in the recent month, triple-sorry from me. Just figured I'd have fun with this since it's been so long since I've posted, and believe me, I still lurk around.
Not looking too good unless Ryu Hayabusa does make it. Impa has it worse.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah, that's who I meant. Got mixed up there because I had some ideas for Nu-13 in Smash.

I personally imagine Nu-13 would be fitting a stage boss if we get the Cauldron from Calamity Trigger as the BlazBlue stage to go along with whichever BlazBlue rep we get.
No worries, I just wanted to make a joke. The cauldron would be awesome to see as a stage though.

It likely doesn't help that the cast seems implausibly young. I'm on chapter twelve, and out of the entire army that I've built up, there are only two, maybe four, of the characters that look over eighteen (Saizo, Kagerou, maybe Azama and Reina), and it doesn't help that a lot of the others look generically "cute", for the lack of a better word. There's nobody like Fredrick, Gregor, Basilio, or Miriel in the entire group to stand out in a visual sense. People like Oboro and Hinata just blend together for me.
Welcome to why I haven't really played fire emblems past the gamecube one lol. Same with the phone app. Three Houses does seem better in this regard at least.

For me, in terms of the anime:
5>2>4>3>1

Currently reading Part 6 of the manga, and once I catch up I’m going back to Part 1, because I hear the first three parts of the manga, especially Part 3, are arguably better than their anime adaptations.
My list is very similar, but with 2 and 4 tied. They beat each other on different days for me.

Yeah Part 3's pacing in the show was awful. I hope it's improved in the comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom