• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m pretty sure iirc the files were updated with the last patch. I could be mistaken there. Regardless if I’m not it means they fully intend to use the files
The sound test doesn't actually show Banjo & Kazooie or three empty boxes, but there are three empty spaces at the end. The image from the menu was a mockup to show what it could look like assuming they fill out the rest of the spaces perfectly.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Gotta dig around in those juicy Japanese Twitter posts...
That yoshi seems to be controlled by one of those parasitic pikmin like bulbmin are.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I may as well tip my toe into DLC speculation. But I keep seeing people talk about Doom Guy, RE, and whatever other big third party and feel that they’ll end up being disappointed.

The way I see the Fighter Pass is akin to a mini-project plan and release cycle. Unlike Smash 4, Smash Ultimate’s DLC is heavily marketed as a compete package with the Fighter Pass rather than individual DLC (with the exception of PP but even it was marketed as a pre-order bonus), nor is there something like the Smash Ballot to expect a big character. Really, a majority of the would be Fighter Pass buyers already have it, and Joker, Hero, and Banjo were the big gunners they had.

A quote I keep seeing comes from a briefing earlier in the year where Nintendo talks about opening the Smash audience horizons for DLC due to the sales of Smash Ultimate apparently being largely from the same audience. Now aside from the sales data (which I feel is too late for DLC as is), I get the feeling that this was it. Joker was the big surprise character from a series that isn’t connected to Nintendo, Hero comes from a long time mega Japanese franchise, and Banjo was a big fan favorite to show how dedicated Smash Ultimate is to it’s fan base.

I know someone may use my arguement of these characters of why you should expect big headliners, but to be honest I highly doubt it. These seem like the big gunners Nintendo had and they went in on the chance to get make the impression at E3. I think the next two fighters are less “hype” characters like a smaller third party or 1st party. They may be well received and still be pretty popular, but aren’t as big as the previous three.

I’ll say an honest opinion, but the moment I saw Joker being revealed for the Fighter Pass, I sorta knew that it was really a “trap”. That’s what a Season Pass essentially is, it’s to get people interested to pay more money to get things that you don’t even know by amazing people at the beginning and then potentially ending off with some falling action. That’s what I see happening with this Fighter Pass with the last two fighters. It’s also why I feel Sakurai wasn’t okay with the idea of a Fighter Pass either, because it’s sorta manipulative paying for something you don’t know.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think it's for the best to wait and see who all the characters are before buying the pass anyway. If there's any character who's not even mid. I won't spend the money on it. The 3 confirmed now make the pass just about worth it. But I still need to see who the other 2 are to really determine that for myself.

Shroob

Sup?
I may as well tip my toe into DLC speculation. But I keep seeing people talk about Doom Guy, RE, and whatever other big third party and feel that they’ll end up being disappointed.

The way I see the Fighter Pass is akin to a mini-project plan and release cycle. Unlike Smash 4, Smash Ultimate’s DLC is heavily marketed as a compete package with the Fighter Pass rather than individual DLC (with the exception of PP but even it was marketed as a pre-order bonus), nor is there something like the Smash Ballot to expect a big character. Really, a majority of the would be Fighter Pass buyers already have it, and Joker, Hero, and Banjo were the big gunners they had.

A quote I keep seeing comes from a briefing earlier in the year where Nintendo talks about opening the Smash audience horizons for DLC due to the sales of Smash Ultimate apparently being largely from the same audience. Now aside from the sales data (which I feel is too late for DLC as is), I get the feeling that this was it. Joker was the big surprise character from a series that isn’t connected to Nintendo, Hero comes from a long time mega Japanese franchise, and Banjo was a big fan favorite to show how dedicated Smash Ultimate is to it’s fan base.

I know someone may use my arguement of these characters of why you should expect big headliners, but to be honest I highly doubt it. These seem like the big gunners Nintendo had and they went in on the chance to get make the impression at E3. I think the next two fighters are less “hype” characters like a smaller third party or 1st party. They may be well received and still be pretty popular, but aren’t as big as the previous three.

I’ll say an honest opinion, but the moment I saw Joker being revealed for the Fighter Pass, I sorta knew that it was really a “trap”. That’s what a Season Pass essentially is, it’s to get people interested to pay more money to get things that you don’t even know by amazing people at the beginning and then potentially ending off with some falling action. That’s what I see happening with this Fighter Pass with the last two fighters. It’s also why I feel Sakurai wasn’t okay with the idea of a Fighter Pass either, because it’s sorta manipulative paying for something you don’t know.
I mean, I've already more than gotten my money's worth with just the 2 we have now. Banjo and whoever 4 and 5 are are complete bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Well looking at the reveal order of past games and 4's DLC, the biggest reveals was almost always in the middle(Sonic, Pac-Man, Cloud, Banjo) so I don't expect anything different for Ultimate's DLC.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I bought the pass instantly because the promise of 5 new characters and stages was enough for me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wanted all the new characters so I got the pass early on.

While I think they're all cool, Banjo & Kazooie are the only ones I care about so far.

If Steve was in the pass as well, even without the other characters I love, I would be perfectly content until the next game. However, I don't see that happening...

Maybe Geno will get in at least.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'll add two points to the current discussion:

1# How is this a 'trap'?

and

2# Even though I don't expect a Resident Evil rep, saying a 4th Capcom character is unlikely is sorely underestimating Capcom when it comes to Ultimate.

I'm really not sure how people can see this DLC cycle as a 'trap', to put it simply.

IF, and IF you believe that Spirits deconfirm, which seems more and more likely with each new character, then the only real choice is newer Nintendo characters, and 3rd party, and.... is that really so bad?

Personally, I've always loved 3rd party characters, so the more the merrier to me.

Sure, they may not be the 'hardcore' fanbase's demand, but with every new character, it's painfully obvious that Smash is now about "Gaming" as a whole and not just Nintendo history.

And 2...... everyone's REALLY sleeping on Capcom getting a 4th character, me included.

Capcom has gone balls to the wall with this game in terms of getting stuff included, hell, it's the ONLY 3rd party with a boss with no playable character included, that and, they apparently give zero ****s about seeing their IPs beat up, since ya know, Megaman was impaled by Ridley and Ken ****ing died in his OWN REVEAL TRAILER.

Capcom honestly could very, VERY easily get a 4th rep, IMO of course.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm on the safe side of speculation with only predicting Namco and Capcom for the last two fighters. I've always predicted SE, Namco, Capcom and new company for the roster anyways after Joker. It's simply easier to negoiate for a new character from a company already on board with Smash than getting another company on board. Considering next Smash and the fact that Nintendo just can't juggle the licenses they have when they start development on that.

Shroob

Sup?
I think when people say that the DLC is a 'trap', what they want to say without saying it is:

"This DLC doesn't appeal to me"

Which is perfectly reasonable, to be fair.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think when people say that the DLC is a 'trap', what they want to say without saying it is:

"This DLC doesn't appeal to me"

Which is perfectly reasonable, to be fair.
I wouldn't exactly call it a trap either. But I can see the mere idea of season passes being as such. Though it's not like it's mandatory unless you plan to be a pro player in some game and need to know to defeat the mighty GT Goku and Leroy Smith.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't exactly call it a trap either. But I can see the mere idea of season passes being as such. Though it's not like it's mandatory unless you plan to be a pro player in some game and need to know to defeat the mighty GT Goku and Leroy Smith.
Eh, as a completionist, I was going to buy it anyway.

But compared to Smash 4's ridiculously priced DLC, this is an absolute steal.

Seriously buying all 7 characters in 4+ their stage was over HALF the price of the game. And there wasn't a bundle that gave a meaningful discount.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't get the handwringing over season passes. It's not like it's a limited time deal. You can either wait and collect all the characters for a cheaper price or take a risk. It's all on you as the consumer. It's also much more bang for your buck than Smash 4 DLC.

Personally, all I needed was one character to get excited about to buy the Pass. For me that was Joker. Banjo-Kazooie just amplified that. And I'm such a completionist I can't imagine not buying the full roster. I even bought Corrin last game despite playing as them maybe 5 times.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Most of the people who were going to buy the pass probably decided to do so prior to actually buying any of the characters, so if Joker were the trap, then it all could've headed downhill after him - you'd still have the presumable majority of the people who were going to buy the pass on the line already. Unless people were going to hold off on Joker until the second character to make up their mind, but tbh I think the folks will the willpower to do that were the minority.

But then we get a character that's more prominent than Joker (in the west is iffy, but he's so huge in Japan it's not even fair) and a character more popular than Joker. If the intent was to start big and lose steam afterwards, I question their choice for first release. I think they're going to stay steady throughout.

Now the reason I don't see the pass as comparable to a base game cycle is because while you have the option to buy it all at once like the base game, enough sales will come from individual purchases that the characters still need to sell on their own merit. With base it makes more sense to end on a whimper, because you used your big guns prominently in promotion during much of the lead-up to release. Those less prolific or less hype final characters still have the benefit of all the previous reveals helping to carry the load.

I'm not saying we'll get big headliners (I'm not saying we won't either), I'm just saying I don't think the remaining two characters will dip hugely in prevalence. Especially when the bar is around Joker, who himself is not a huge character.

I do agree that Sakurai's take on the pass is probably less than positive, but I think you can attribute that to charging for unknown content rather than the concept of the pass itself. He's not big on DLC at all, but I imagine at least knowing what you're getting is more palatable to him. As it should be, really.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, let's not kid ourselves either.

Pretty much everyone left is around Joker in terms of "Oh wow" factor.

Erdrick was honestly the biggest reveal 'globally' if we're talking about "HOLY ****" moments, since, all of Japan spontaniously [REDACTED FOR ADVERTISER FRIENDLYNESS], but if I'm gonna be brutally honest.

Were it not for his huge Smash following, Banjo would be UNDER Joker, the only reason Banjo's seen as this massive reveal is due to how badly this community's wanted him. Otherwise? He's a has been in a dead franchise, while Joker's the newest protagonist in a long running RPG series that's been lauded with awards.

StormC

Smash Hero

Erdrick was honestly the biggest reveal 'globally' if we're talking about "HOLY ****" moments, since, all of Japan spontaniously [REDACTED FOR ADVERTISER FRIENDLYNESS], but if I'm gonna be brutally honest.

Were it not for his huge Smash following, Banjo would be UNDER Joker, the only reason Banjo's seen as this massive reveal is due to how badly this community's wanted him. Otherwise? He's a has been in a dead franchise, while Joker's the newest protagonist in a long running RPG series that's been lauded with awards.
Eh, I don't necessarily agree. The original Banjo-Kazooie is still a beloved, classic game and the idea of bringing him back home to Nintendo would still be gamechanging. Like in a universe where the Phil Spencer Tweet never happened, Banjo never got a massive ballot campaign, yet he got in anyway, it would still be massive news.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
All Season Passes are traps. Their sole existence isn't for the consumer's benefit, it is for companies to exploit hype culture and generate guaranteed sales before even releasing content that can be judged and decided to be bought on its own.

However...
im aware of those traps.jpg

It's Smash Bros, what's the worst that could possibly happen?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, I don't necessarily agree. The original Banjo-Kazooie is still a beloved, classic game and the idea of bringing him back home to Nintendo would still be gamechanging. Like in a universe where the Phil Spencer Tweet never happened, Banjo never got a massive ballot campaign, yet he got in anyway, it would still be massive news.
I mean, I love Banjo as much as the next guy, but I'm inclined to disagree, since he probably would have never happened were it not for how hard this community wanted him, same with K.Rool, which is basically confirmed.

I love Banjo, but if we're talking about general 'hype', including more than just the Smash bubble, I'd honestly put it akin to Erdrick > and Joker/Banjo being interchangeable,

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There's still more to the characters than the brief moment of dopamine you'll get from the reveal trailer though. So it's not like that's the single most important factor. I would say Season passes as a whole can be seen as a trap, yet they aren't mandatory in the slightest.

Let's say Sol Badguy or someone does pop up, would he mean as much to people as Joker at first glance? Hard to say. He's known far less than the other three for sure, most people would be like "WHO?" and then still get interested in him from general curiosity or gameplay reasons.

Shroob

Sup?
I do find it funny how far removed of a community we are akin to our brothers and sisters in the East.

Us, "HOLY **** RIDLEYYYYYYYY!!!!"

Japan, "America pick/Captain America."

Japan, "YUSHAAAAAAAA! YUSHAAAAAAAA!"

Us, ".......is this Goku?"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I do find it funny how far removed of a community we are akin to our brothers and sisters in the East.

Us, "HOLY **** RIDLEYYYYYYYY!!!!"

Japan, "America pick/Captain America."

Japan, "YUSHAAAAAAAA! YUSHAAAAAAAA!"

Us, ".......is this Goku?"
Unless you're some serious weeaboo...
cough cough

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Me being content with the main roster as is, but hoping some "Never Ever" of my own is in the DLC.

Mega Man Feeling Vibes.gif

Shroob

Sup?
I will say though, quite unapologetically I might add:

The 3 pillars of stupidity for the Ultimate cycle.

1#: Believing that a man stole a demo Switch, datamined it, and the file then proceeded to self-destruct before he could get even more info out of it, all because it guessed a single character right.

2# Believing that there were 'more on the back of the box', despite literally everything we knew by that point.

3# Believing that "Brave means that the character is really brave!" despite the heaps of evidence presented.

I'm not even sorry, these three things got under my skin harder than the Grinch leak ever did.

****ing Gothitelle leak should never have been given a leg to stand on.... I mean, REALLY?

............seriously, I remember the biggest defender of it here threw a hissy fit when it was dis-confirmed.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Right, if you eliminate fanbase popularity, Banjo is under Joker. He may be under Bayonetta. But the thing is, you can't eliminate fanbase popularity, since that's a key component of the DLC's profit, and a major facet of the "Oh wow" factor.

If you eliminated fanbase popularity, the base roster would be really weird too. Half the choices would be characters that aren't timely or particularly prolific in the current gaming landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom