• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Neither do I. Though I do think guns should be banned. The right to bear arms amendment was a mistake, in my opinion.
I'm not sure where I stand on that tbh. I come from a state where i've been taught guns are good, on the other hand, shootings are very not good.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
All I seem to care mostly is LBGT+ stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and racism.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Didn't that leak name both Bede and Marnie before either was even revealed?

The gym stuff doesn't add up but you don't name two unrevealed characters like that without knowing something. As with a lot of leaks, I'm gonna bet it has some true stuff and some fake stuff.
He did, but so did the actually legit May leak everyone who’s been following leaks has seen.

It does have a mixture of true and false info. Except all the true info is stolen from another leak.

Also, the way it phrases Regional Evolution, it seems to imply that Pokémon evolve to new Galar-only Pokémon from their normal forms, instead of already starting off in a regional variant.
This is a huge red flag that this is just a piggyback leak, since the section of the original leak that mentioned new regional evolutions was very brief, vague, and in weird English.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not sure where I stand on that tbh. I come from a state where i've been taught guns are good, on the other hand, shootings are very not good.
It's not black and white on which is good and which is wrong, both arguments are going for mostly the same goals with radically different methods, each with their heavy pros and heavy cons.

I don't wanna end up like Britain though, having to show my ID just to buy plastic knives. :drshrug:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Meh, don't care how good they are if they are part of this problem. I mean, we mostly use guns on other Americans, aka each other, not foreigners like the British. The right to bear arms amendment was for protection against the British, and while guns do keep people safe from bad guys, that is defense, what the amendment was for, not offense. What's the point if people use guns to kill innocent people rather than bad guys who want to invade the Americas?

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
There was a shooter at my mom’s job a week ago.

This **** can happen to anybody at any time.

That’s terrifying.
Pretty sure someone got robbed at gunpoint like two weeks ago two streets from where I live..I need to move..

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The overall problem of politics in media is the way they tackle a subject. You have series like Metal Gear that tackles a subject very well(in this case, the effect War has on people) and still make the games enjoyable and not obnoxious.

But then you have ones that have completely shallow black & white takes. Like OK KO's "Let's Not Be Skeletons" which is nothing more than cheap obnoxious propaganda which portrays one side as always right and the other side as strawmen. It even blatantly has the message of "call your local congressman" shoved in too.
Doesn't help it uses the "just a dream" twist at the end.
Not to mention on using Skeletons as a metaphor of being shot, despite several characters who are skeletons and even then they don't seem to be affected at all by it.

The general problem has increased with shows, comedies, etc that are nothing more than shallow "Orange Man Bad" takes that many people are just getting sick and tired of hearing like with the new Watchmen show.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Being black is.....very different lately. Reall, I don't like being judged for my skin color.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, it is highly possible and highly likely those shootings were video game independent. Plus, some video games don't use guns. I doubt video games were the reason behind the shootings. They should research what caused the shootings and created the motive instead of just scapegoating things.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There was a shooter at my mom’s job a week ago.

This **** can happen to anybody at any time.

That’s terrifying.
Yeah, that's true. I believe in limitations though, not elimination. No clue on if these guys are getting firearms legally or illegally, because you can easily just get a revolver in a brown paper bag from some hoodlum for a few ben franklins. This **** happens a lot in Memphis, it's not really a surprise for me.

What's the point if people use guns to kill innocent people rather than bad guys who want to invade the Americas?
Sports and recreation, usually. Also hunting. A lot of hunting rifles have similar calibers to an AR-15 if not greater.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
No response is the same as ignoring the problem. Even if you disagree with what they're doing, it's helping more people to acknowledge the existence of a problem.

But I digress. Personally, I think both sides are drifting away from the real issue. Unless you genuinely think someone is gonna place a ban on video games, you're just wasting your breath debating this. We aren't accomplishing anything.

While I agree that it's derailing the conversation, it's not that different from other debates related to guns in the sense that one side agrees while the other disagrees. If Walmart responded by ceasing all sales of guns, that would "further fuel the flames" too.

I think people get so caught up in these issues that they often forget that their personal opinions are not synonymous with actual facts. Both sides want the same thing, but they have different solutions, and that's what's ultimately causing us to get nowhere. Instead holding fast to their own opinions and refusing to budge, I'd rather see people be more open to negotiating. The end result might not make either side happy, but something is better than nothing.
I disagree, if neither side is happy then the problem remains. But anyway...
I don't really care about politics.
... speaking of derailing, I apologize. This isn't the thread to be deep in a discussion like this. I'll chill.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, that's true. I believe in limitations though, not elimination. No clue on if these guys are getting firearms legally or illegally, because you can easily just get a revolver in a brown paper bag from some hoodlum for a few ben franklins. This **** happens a lot in Memphis, it's not really a surprise for me.

Sports and recreation, usually. Also hunting. A lot of hunting rifles have similar calibers to an AR-15 if not greater.
On that front, I do believe that using guns for sports and hunting is not a no-no, but they should have laws to prevent them from being used outside those areas, in my point of view.

Now, can we get back on topic?

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Here’s my stance on guns.

The second amendment was written in a time when it took nearly a minute to properly reload one shot into a gun.
Today you can buy an assault rifle that fires hundreds of rounds in a few seconds.

You don’t use an assault rifle to hunt. You use it to assault. It’s only purpose is to gun down as many people as possible as short as possible.

It’s a military-grade weapon. It should be used by the military.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't really care about politics and try to ignore them in general, though I do have my own views regarding some things.

Like, why do people hate each other over stupid stuff that shows their ignorance and arrogance? Why doesn't Nintendo think Mother 3 could or should be localized? Is mayonnaise an instrument?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't really care about politics and try to ignore them in general, though I do have my own views regarding some things.

Like, why do people hate each other over stupid stuff that shows their ignorance and arrogance? Why doesn't Nintendo think Mother 3 could or should be localized? Is mayonnaise an instrument?
No, and horse radish is not an instrument either, before you ask.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Yeah me too.

Guns can be very useful, but there needs to be a way to ensure that psychos can’t get one.

Then again, like you said they can easily get one illegally.

It’s very complicated...

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Asking the important questions right here.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the end of the day, all people should be able to agree that neither guns nor video games are what kill people. People kill other people.

Sadly, the solution isn't as simple as arresting everyone who is seriously thinking of carrying out a mass shooting. We can't read people's minds, nor should we ever invade that privacy. Our only option is to focus on methods of preventing these people from carrying out their plans, and that's where people start to clash.

The overall problem of politics in media is the way they tackle a subject. You have series like Metal Gear that tackles a subject very well(in this case, the effect War has on people) and still make the games enjoyable and not obnoxious.

But then you have ones that have completely shallow black & white takes. Like OK KO's "Let's Not Be Skeletons" which is nothing more than cheap obnoxious propaganda which portrays one side as always right and the other side as strawmen. It even blatantly has the message of "call your local congressman" shoved in too.
Doesn't help it uses the "just a dream" twist at the end.
Not to mention on using Skeletons as a metaphor of being shot, despite several characters who are skeletons and even then they don't seem to be affected at all by it.

The general problem has increased with shows, comedies, etc that are nothing more than shallow "Orange Man Bad" takes that many people are just getting sick and tired of hearing like with the new Watchmen show.
That's a trend I'm really sick of myself. I watched that OK KO episode and I couldn't help but shake my head. They did a poor job of taking both sides. One side had morals, while the other side was nothing more than trigger-happy idiots. Imagine how many kids who were taught that guns were good felt embarrassed or ashamed after watching that episode.

I get that people want to express their opinions on serious topics, but belittling and shaming one side isn't doing them any good. For starters, it usually backfires and causes those people to hold on to their opinions even more, and second, it's making it seem like there's a clear right and wrong to the solution when it's anything but.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
From where I'm from, I'm in a pretty diverse area, amongst some of the most diverse places in America, and I have to say that I'm lucky to grow up in that enviroment. Most of my racist experiences was when I left the state, to go vacation in some not as diverse and accepting places, which is something that I'm not used to. That's why I picked my college to be a diverse one, with all due respect to everyone of every race here, going to a school that's majority one race... kinda scares me because I don't know what to do in that enviroment, especially if they discriminate against my skin.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You don’t use an assault rifle to hunt. You use it to assault. It’s only purpose is to gun down as many people as possible as short as possible.

It’s a military-grade weapon. It should be used by the military.
Okay, but again, what do we do for sports and recreation? Hunting rifles are, again, hella strong if not stronger than select popular assault weapons just on the grounds that they're there to destroy animals way more durable/strong than an average human. It's a very long process since guns are so integrated into aspects of our, gamer jokes aside, society.

Guns can be very useful, but there needs to be a way to ensure that psychos can’t get one.
I mean you can only reach so deep before you breach privacy. I mean, they can always act sane, but how do you know they're not part of some violent, radical organization? It needs to be sorted out bad, but there's no simple way around it.

Now, can we get back on topic?
Dude, you said you didn't care about politics and then proceeded to care very much about politics in the same post. :drflip: Make up ya mind.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dude, you said you didn't care about politics and then proceeded to care very much about politics in the same post. :drflip: Make up ya mind.
-_- There really was no need to point that out. Plus, I was making some responses. Just because I was responding, doesn't mean I care much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well like I said earlier, I'm wearing my new Yoshipool shirt :yoshi:
Yoshipool, a mix of Deadpool, an insane anti-hero who has killed before, and Yoshi, who won't do his taxes. I am not sure which one on their own is worse. Who knows what the result may be with them as one being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom