• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Funny how most of the strongest FighterZ characters are either canonically the weakest or non-canon.

Or Goku.
I mean, Gohan, Vegeta and Kid Buu are still pretty damn good. Yamcha and Tien being really good in the game is kinda nice though.

R.I.P MVP 17 and Beerus though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Most of these are returning characters that'd make a lot of people happy, though I feel from a gamplay standpoint, Bishop will be similar to Cable, but with a Projectile counter.

Sure, the Avengers are the Justice League of Marvel. That's not the problem, the problem is that the choice to focus on "creating synergy" with the movie part of Marvel and they completely drop two franchises, It's not like DC ever had the Teen Titans removed from something like Injustice to focus on the Justice League, like how MVCI had done with both the X-Men and Fantastic Four in favor of the Avengers and GotG, though in the latter's case I think Gamora was a solid choice. The fact they couldn't at least be bothered to at least add more Spider-Man characters to spice it up just makes it all the more disappointing.

Even Insomniac's Spider-Man had its own identity aesthetically, with original costumes for Spider-Man and his villains, and handled the realistic art style better since they had a budget of more than two dimes and a ham sandwich.

The only Marvel vs Capcom game that an abundance of X-Men was MVC2, strictly because it was a hodgepodge of characters from previous games(TWO of which were X-Men specific.) Marvel 1 only had Wolverine and Gambit playable. Same reason why there's so Street Fighter characters as well. People didn't like Phoenix, and no one cares about Marrow. Silver Samurai/Spiral wouldn't really be missed. Iceman doesn't have a ton of fans. And Sentinel isn't someone I'd miss. You don't need them all obviously. But 5 or 6 X-Men isn't asking too much. It's a huge franchise.

When I say "MCU-fest" it doesn't refer strictly to the character choices, although that is a part of it. Every damn part of the game got effected by it, visuals made to appeal to that audience, only to fail at that, music that was mostly disappointing because it tried to emulate booming cinematic music in a fast paced team fighting game. The type of lame **** people had issues with Injustice for too. The way the characters even act fits more the movies than the comic, unlike Marvel 3 which was VERY much a Comic book game through and through.

Keep in mind that the people who grew up the earlier Marvel fighting games did grow up with a lot of X-Men content. That isn't to say they should be the only people catered to. But you also shouldn't just abandon them either, the audience of these games are a bit different from the average movie goer today. There's a balance to it. Cap, Hulk, and Iron Man are staples of the MVC series, just like Spider-Man, Wolverine and Storm. Black Panther and Nova are among my favorite of the new additions between 3 and Infinite. She-Hulk makes sense. Taskmaster was GOAT and genuinely one of my favorites and Ultron's far cooler than Sentinel, that's a hill I will stand on.

And again, outside the X-Men, No Daredevil? No Green Goblin? No Carnage? No Punisher? Moon Knight? Electra? Wasp? Ant-Man? Even without the X-Men, MVCI's character choices on Marvel's side didn't a thing for me or other people. I liked Capcom's choices despite their limitations, barring Spencer.

If a new MVC game were to be made, there should be a handful of X-Men, a handful of Avengers, a handful of Spider-Man characters and a handful of weirdos you never even thought about but end up being really cool. I think we can all at least agree on that.

Sorry for talking your ear off/reading your eyes off.
I really want to put one together that satisfies. It’s just super hard. IDK. I’ll try again later.

I really wish Infinite had been allowed to develop all the dlc content they wanted to. I would love to see how they fixed the roster problems. If at all.

Edit: do you think it is within any degree of reasonability to have a MvC game with a roster the size of Smash Ultimate?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I'm at chapter 11 of Three Houses right now.

I knew it was gonna happen but I really wish Jeralt didn't kick the bucket so soon. I made sure Byleth was the one to kill Kronya.

Also Byleth goes super saiyan and cuts a hole into reality to escape the dark void. Why do people not want him in Smash again?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Someone pointed out that this is basically a game where a Native American and an Aztec-coded character (Kotal Kahn) get to interact with each other, and it really put into perspective how much I appreciate how culturally diverse MK and other fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken are in general.
Yup in terms of Native American fighting characters Mortal Kombat has Nightwolf, Street Fighter has T. Hawk, Killer Instinct has Chief Thunder.

Only ones I really know. Not too knowledgeable with Tekken and Soulcalibur (Closest I can think is Rock who found himself stranded in the New World and interacted with Native Americans).

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi has a review scale that is as follows:

[ ] is Pokemon
[ ] isn't Pokemon
Accurate.

I will fully admit that Pokémon games have never been the best graphically, the best rpg’s, or the best anything really.

But there’s something about them that just gives me a feeling no other game does. Pokémon White was the first game I ever truly loved, and I guess that’s stuck with me 8 years later.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really want to put one together that satisfies. It’s just super hard. IDK. I’ll try again later.

I really wish Infinite had been allowed to develop all the dlc content they wanted to. I would love to see how they fixed the roster problems. If at all.
Well, yeah, that **** is hard. There's only so much time in game development. A nice mix of franchises, while also keeping the designs of their gameplay interesting is tricky.

And sure, every game has a handful of Ken style characters, so a few of those wouldn't be bad too.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Gohan, Vegeta and Kid Buu are still pretty damn good. Yamcha and Tien being really good in the game is kinda nice though.

R.I.P MVP 17 and Beerus though.
I mean, Krillin still sucks, and Adult Gohan was the one who was top tier for longer despite being weaker than Teen Gohan, and Kid Buu is... somewhere in the series I guess.
Beerus has sauce, but he's awful. 17 never had any sauce in this game, what a shame after the whole ToP.

(I don't even own FighterZ lol, I'm just a fan of DB.)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So I'm at chapter 11 of Three Houses right now.

I knew it was gonna happen but I really wish Jeralt didn't kick the bucket so soon. I made sure Byleth was the one to kill Kronya.

Also Byleth cuts a hole into reality to escape the dark void. Why do people not want him in Smash again?
Byleth is only allowed to be in Smash if he has the time rewind ability, and not just as a flashy counter, no, I want this dude to rewind Smash time and force his opponent to make the same motions they were gonna make so he can be the most busted king crimson mf in the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Accurate.

I will fully admit that Pokémon games have never been the best graphically, the best rpg’s, or the best anything really.

But there’s something about them that just gives me a feeling no other game does. Pokémon White was the first game I ever truly loved, and I guess that’s stuck with me 8 years later.
For me, Pokemon has some of the best gameplay loops of any series I’ve played. It’s mostly walking and battling, but they pace it so well I keep saying “one more battle” every time I play. Even the worst Pokemon games have this effect.

They’re also insanely replayable. I really take to the team planning aspect, organizing and building my team is super satisfying.

D

Deleted member

What are the pros and cons of FE 3 Houses?
I've only played up to Chapter 12 right now, so I have nothing to say about the full game.

Pros:
-Strong worldbuilding. You have a dedicated library for optional reading on the world and historical events, constant references to countries and races that live there, and paralogues dedicated to exploring the characters and their family and home. It ****s on Fates and Awakening.
-Strong characterization. Unlike most FE games where most units are left on the bench after their initial conversation, everybody in this game has something to say in every different chapter. It makes the university come alive and makes me want to recruit everybody even if I wont deploy them.
-Great soundtrack, like any FE game
-Indepth class system that asks you plan ahead and is satisfying to see progress.
-So far, a decently strong narrative. Lots of dark moments, political agendas, and character moments. It's not perfect, but it's better than Fates and Echoes so far.
-A lot of options and tools at your disposal when battling. Just a lot of ways to handle a situation.
-Removing the pair-up system. It's less structured on charting out relationships and wasting two slots so you can make one unit good.

Cons:
-Silent protagonist. For the FE game with some of the strongest side characters, it has one of the most one-dimensional protagonist. They try their best to make it work, but I think an actual talking protag like Robin would have worked out well enough.
-Can be too easy after a certain point. A lot of mechanics can be broken and there are only two difficulty settings right now. This is mostly an issue when paralogues aren't challenging you and you feel the repetition as a result.
-Part 1 is the same no matter what house you choose, and that's half the game right there. Half of the 80 hour experience.
-The graphics look cheap. Three Houses is not winning awards for its stilted and recycled character animations and awful backgrounds during cutscenes.

But really, all of the cons I've mentioned are not enough to bog down Three Houses. This game solved a lot of issues I've had with the series recently from writing, pair-ups, permadeath, etc, and answered those complaints with a solid experience that allows for a lot of creative thinking and exploration.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, yeah, that **** is hard. There's only so much time in game development. A nice mix of franchises, while also keeping the designs of their gameplay interesting is tricky.

And sure, every game has a handful of Ken style characters, so a few of those wouldn't be bad too.
So what should I shoot for? A roster the size of UMvC3 or Smash Ultimate? Sure, it’s all hypothetical, but I would also like it to be at lest realizable.

Noipoi

Howdy!
For me, Pokemon has some of the best gameplay loops of any series I’ve played. It’s mostly walking and battling, but they pace it so well I keep saying “one more battle” every time I play. Even the worst Pokemon games have this effect.

They’re also insanely replayable. I really take to the team planning aspect, organizing and building my team is super satisfying.
The team building is definitely part of it.

Even as a child, before I began to identify myself as an artist or a character designer, I was enamored with designing characters. Especially monsters. That’s why I liked Toothless, or Stitch, or Yoshi. I loved creatures.

And finding a game filled with hundreds of unique monsters that you could battle with was really something special.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I just really wish it wasn’t turn based. I know an active battle Kingdom Hearts style Pokémon game would be impossible. But turn based battles are such a turn off for me and it’s such a shame considering how much I love the world of Pokémon and the monster designs. I want to be a huge Pokémon fan. But I just can’t be. And it upsets me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Lil Majin is back! I believe! Fight for the Future!

Edit: do you think it is within any degree of reasonability to have a MvC game with a roster the size of Smash Ultimate?
That would depend on two main factors.

1. How much does this game borrow from Marvel 3 and Marvel Infinite? MVCI is based enough on UMVC3 that borrowing more shouldn't be too crazy. Let's say updating Vergil, Tron, Akuma and Ammy for Capcom as an example. Could any characters from TVC also be slapped together? Zero, Joe and Frank kind of were, so would Mega Man Volnutt or Alex work too.

2. How much time do they have? The more time they have, the more old stuff they can introduce. Even "new" characters could just be OG Mega Man or Rouge, being re-made in 3D, which makes part of their moveset already set in stone, outside of new tools that your returning fighters like Spider-Man or Captain America would get between titles.

So yeah, I think it's possible, but that would only take into account the characters that exist within the 3D games. That'd be about 60 something characters. Of course Smash Ultimate added some characters too, so again, Nero and Carnage I think would bring a lot of hype.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Lil Majin is back! I believe! Fight for the Future!

That would depend on two main factors.

1. How much does this game borrow from Marvel 3 and Marvel Infinite? MVCI is based enough on UMVC3 that borrowing more shouldn't be too crazy. Let's say updating Vergil, Tron, Akuma and Ammy for Capcom as an example. Could any characters from TVC also be slapped together? Zero, Joe and Frank kind of were, so would Mega Man Volnutt or Alex work too.

2. How much time do they have? The more time they have, the more old stuff they can introduce. Even "new" characters could just be OG Mega Man or Rouge, being re-made in 3D, which makes part of their moveset already set in stone, outside of new tools that your returning fighters like Spider-Man or Captain America would get between titles.

So yeah, I think it's possible, but that would only take into account the characters that exist within the 3D games. That'd be about 60 something characters. Of course Smash Ultimate added some characters too, so again, Nero and Carnage I think would bring a lot of hype.
I understand your points. But I feel like that roster would just not feel right or balanced. I’ll look around and compile a list of characters from the 3D vs. games and see what is left and what I like.

As for time.... 5 years. But done over time. 2-3 years for the base game, and 2-3 years of dlc expansion Killer Instinct style.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just really wish it wasn’t turn based. I know an active battle Kingdom Hearts style Pokémon game would be impossible. But turn based battles are such a turn off for me and it’s such a shame considering how much I love the world of Pokémon and the monster designs. I want to be a huge Pokémon fan. But I just can’t be. And it upsets me.
I know it all comes down to personal tastes, but I definitely prefer turn based. I like being able to take my time and make decisions instead of it being more reaction-based. It's why I really couldn't get into Xenoblade Chronicles or Dream Drop Distance, especially since the auto attacking in the former made it feel like I had no agency and the game was set to autopilot.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we’re talking spider man characters in MVC4, I fully agree in kraven being in. He’d be great, and could get some unique stuff. Outside of that I’m not sure who I want. Pulling more from the mcu, killmonger would be pretty cool too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I know it all comes down to personal tastes, but I definitely prefer turn based. I like being able to take my time and make decisions instead of it being more reaction-based. It's why I really couldn't get into Xenoblade Chronicles or Dream Drop Distance, especially since the auto attacking in the former made it feel like I had no agency and the game was set to autopilot.
Again. Preference. But I feel turn based combat is way to boring. Plus I don’t feel like I’m actually doing anything. I’m not controlling my character. I’m just selecting options on the menu.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not every genre is gonna be for everybody. There’s a lot of games I think I would love if they weren’t FPS.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Lil Majin still did great, but we only got one American in top 8. This year Japan overtakes Korea in Tekken 7 Top 8 spots. We'll see if they take it this year or not. But there's still one American and Pakistan player in the running too.

I mean, Krillin still sucks, and Adult Gohan was the one who was top tier for longer despite being weaker than Teen Gohan, and Kid Buu is... somewhere in the series I guess.
Beerus has sauce, but he's awful. 17 never had any sauce in this game, what a shame after the whole ToP.

(I don't even own FighterZ lol, I'm just a fan of DB.)
Both Buu Arc Ultimate Gohan and TOP Gohan(who's beefier than Buu Arc Gohan) are stronger than SS2 Gohan. If it was family man Gohan, then yeah, I feel ya. But this game has Son Swolehan.

If we’re talking spider man characters in MVC4, I fully agree in kraven being in. He’d be great, and could get some unique stuff. Outside of that I’m not sure who I want. Pulling more from the mcu, killmonger would be pretty cool too.
Bro. Most of Spider-Man's Villains would make great choices. Lizard, GG, Mysterio and so on.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I just checked the historical roster and was shocked to see the only Spider-Man villain to appear was Venom. Inexcusable :yoshi:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As a native american boyo who just learned about nightwolf all I have to say is

Neat

Super neat
If you ever play MK9's Story Mode. You'll definitely like him even more.

Its just too bad...

He dies trying to kill Sindel and comes back as an reverent (Undead servents to Quan Chi)...:(

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If it is true tho then our next fighter will be an fighting game character given EVO's theme. The possibilities.

Kyo Kusanagi/Mai Shiranui/Terry Bogard
Heihachi
Kasumi
Nakoruru
Nightmare
Scorpion

Anyone else I'm missing?

Last edited:

Striga

Smash Journeyman

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Decided to revamp my MvC roster, should have 35 characters each, thoughts so far?
  • Ant Man/Wasp
  • Black Panther
  • Black Widow
  • Cable
  • Captain America
  • Captain Marvel
  • Daredevil
  • Deadpool
  • Doctor Doom
  • Doc Ock
  • Doctor Strange
  • Dormammu
  • Falcon
  • Fantastic 4 (led by Mr. Fantastic)
  • Gambit
  • Ghost Rider
  • Hawkeye
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • Loki
  • Magneto
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Pheonix
  • Psylocke
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Shuma-Gorath
  • Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
  • Storm
  • Thanos
  • Thor
  • Ultron
  • Venom
  • Wolverine
  • Akuma
  • Albert Wesker
  • Amaterasu
  • Arthur
  • Cammy
  • Captain Commando
  • Chun-Li
  • Dante
  • Dr. Wily
  • Felicia
  • Frank West
  • Guile
  • Jedah
  • Jill Valentine
  • Jin Saotome
  • Leon S. Kennedy
  • M. Bison
  • Mega Man
  • Mike Haggar
  • Monster Hunter
  • Morrigan
  • Nemesis
  • Nero
  • Pheonix Wright
  • Rad Spencer
  • Roll
  • Ryu
  • Sigma
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Trish
  • Tron Bonne
  • Vergil
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • X
  • Zero

StormC

Smash Hero
August 2018 gave us the legendary 8/8 Smash Direct.

August 2019 will give us nothing to balance it out.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say that blue is the most overrated lightsaber color. That's it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If it is true tho then our next fighter will be an fighting game character given EVO's theme. The possibilities.

Kyo Kusanagi/Mai Shiranui/Terry Bogard
Heihachi
Kasumi
Nakoruru
Nightmare
Scorpion

Anyone else I'm missing?
If you're counting multiple KoF options, then for Tekken there's also Jin and Kazuya, the other two Mishima's who are as important as Heihachi is. Same with Sub-Zero and Scorpion.

Though I doubt another character would be announced so soon. I was thinking closer to Banjo's release is when they drop a teaser for another character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom