• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. Every time I watch lockstin’s Smash moveset video for Steve, I get frustrated when he calls Minecraft “the biggest indie game of all time”. Like, I get that that’s how it started. But now it’s a Microsoft IP. It’s officially a AAA game. It’s not indie anymore.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Okay. Every time I watch lockstin’s Smash moveset video for Steve, I get frustrated when he calls Minecraft “the biggest indie game of all time”. Like, I get that that’s how it started. But now it’s a Microsoft IP. It’s officially a AAA game. It’s not indie anymore.
there was a point when it was not owned by microsoft and was still an indie game, and at that point it was the biggest indie game of all time

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Minecraft isnt really a AAA game just because Microsoft funds it. Though the definition of AAA is not well understood; I actually work in the industry and you'll get different answers even from game developers. The important thing here imo is that Minecraft blew up and became massive before it was acquired by Microsoft, and so it was indie when it rose to prominence. Its core gameplay that made it popular was in place long before Microsoft was interested

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'd argue that before it was bought by Microsoft it was the biggest indie game of all time. But yeah I get what you mean, it's not indie anymore.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
What if “everyone is here” also meant everyone from Super Smash Flash and Super Smash Bros. Crusade?
Flash and Crusade aren’t Nintendo games. I doubt those rosters would be put in to Ultimate. I wouldn’t have many issues with it, though.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
there was a point when it was not owned by microsoft and was still an indie game, and at that point it was the biggest indie game of all time
I'd argue that before it was bought by Microsoft it was the biggest indie game of all time. But yeah I get what you mean, it's not indie anymore.
But it’s not anymore. And he made the video this year.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That doesn't really change the fact that it's still it's roots.

I'd argue it's still an indie game at heart.
This is an interesting point because Minecraft became popular and successful long before Microsoft bought it. It's concept creation was done out of passion from one guy instead of an executive board meeting to decide the next game. I do honestly think Minecraft played a big role into growing the Western indie market as we know it today. So the indie game at heart phrase works well, since it's still the game we know of 10 years ago. The development and hardships the game went through haven't disappeared even if it got bought out by Microsoft.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is an interesting point because Minecraft became popular and successful long before Microsoft bought it. It's concept creation was done out of passion from one guy instead of an executive board meeting to decide the next game. I do honestly think Minecraft played a big role into growing the Western indie market as we know it today. So the indie game at heart phrase works well, since it's still the game we know of 10 years ago. The development and hardships the game went through haven't disappeared even if it got bought out by Microsoft.
Exactly

Though, "one guy"? Don't you mean "one Miku"?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hastune Mike is gonna be our Minecraft rep, mark my word. She did make Minecraft, after all.
Wtf is that avatar and why
Would've been nice if Game Freak gave these two gender differences. I'd feel conflicted if the Incineroar in Smash was female this entire time.

It has to be male...right?
Female Pokémon in the anime usually have female voice actors, so I’d say this Incineroar is male. Though of course nothing is confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom