• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't know why but this song is on my head at the moment.

Welcome back, 240p. We missed you.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Bull. Nothing tops the Zekrom theme.

Gen 5 is top tier.
Listening to that after Smash's remix it's rather surprising how slow paced the Reshiram/Zekrom theme actually is.

DP > BW IMO, but there are some great songs from the latter. Route 10 is a personal favorite.

Man. It's still so good.
And it doesn't help that Zinnia is super hot.
Why am I getting Cynthia deja vu with this post. LMAO

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I've been reading through the story, and whose idea was it to have Substitutes in a meteor?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
STAHP POSTING THIS ****

JEEZUS

And sure they live together, but she takes the form of this thing:

Yuri shippers are just ridiculous. "OH MY GOD THEY SAID "FRIEND." LES TAKE IT FURTHER!"
I don't watch that series or anything, but this isn't exclusive to that series. For example, some people see Superman and Bat Man as more than "just friends". I get it's still annoying when characters are thrown out of well....character for the sake of fan-fiction and junk. But it's not exactly the end of the world. Best to ignore it.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I didn't like Gen 4 too much. It was just too slow for me. And the Pokemon themselves weren't exactly my favorites. Infernape is awesome though. I liked Pokemon Black/White being more challenging overall(only game where the Gym leaders didn't feel like push overs.)And of course, fights were faster. But, eh different taste and all that.
Hmmm. You know what, I might have to play through BW (either 1 or 2) to see if my opinions changed. My memories are vague, but I remember the pace feeling like a drag. I guess I'll list my pros and cons:

• A lot of uniquely designed pokemon, including the legendaries.
  • Soundtrack was the usual top quality.
  • The story was a nice twist in structure and unpredictability.
And the cons...
  • There was a lot of BADLY designed pokemon, as well. The BW starters are my absolute least favorite starter trio.
  • Very linear.
  • The routes were unmemorable, as well as a lot of locations. (Although I liked a couple locales, including Dragonspiral Tower, the electromagnetic cave, and the Pokemon League.)
  • I don't remember the game being a challenge. I never got to try the challenge mode in BW2.
  • Those bridges. They lack aesthetic appeal and are boring to run through.
  • Characters are unmemorable, including the Gym Leaders.
That's all I remember.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't watch that series or anything, but this isn't exclusive to that series. For example, some people see Superman and Bat Man as more than "just friends". I get it's still annoying when characters are thrown out of well....character for the sake of fan-fiction and junk. But it's not exactly the end of the world. Best to ignore it.
I am aware that it's not exclusive to Madoka, and I ignore it unless it gets brought up as a topic of discussion here. Really, shipping is one of humanities lesser cons. It's annoying, sure, but harmless if you ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
STAHP POSTING THIS ****

JEEZUS

And sure they live together, but she takes the form of this thing:

Yuri shippers are just ridiculous. "OH MY GOD THEY SAID "FRIEND." LES TAKE IT FURTHER!"
At this point, they reached Lyrical Nanoha levels bad.

I'lll never get why yuri faboys hate this guy so much solely for stating in a single scene that he likes Nanoha

D

Deleted member

I'lll never get why yuri faboys hate this guy so much solely for stating in a single scene that he likes Nanoha
I was thinking of watching that. Is it any good? Disregard the fanbase in your answer please.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hmmm. You know what, I might have to play through BW (either 1 or 2) to see if my opinions changed. My memories are vague, but I remember the pace feeling like a drag. I guess I'll list my pros and cons:

• A lot of uniquely designed pokemon, including the legendaries.
  • Soundtrack was the usual top quality.
  • The story was a nice twist in structure and unpredictability.
And the cons...
  • There was a lot of BADLY designed pokemon, as well. The BW starters are my absolute least favorite starter trio.
  • Very linear.
  • The routes were unmemorable, as well as a lot of locations. (Although I liked a couple locales, including Dragonspiral Tower, the electromagnetic cave, and the Pokemon League.)
  • I don't remember the game being a challenge. I never got to try the challenge mode in BW2.
  • Those bridges. They lack aesthetic appeal and are boring to run through.
That's all I remember.
Hmm, for the Pokemon designs, I actually liked the starters, save Snivy, who was okay at best. But they aren't my personal favorites. That'd be Gen 1 and Gen 3. But each have something going for them. I really liked Emboar from a design standpoint, but gameplay wise, was a disappointment from Blaziken and Infernape. I never found any of the routes that memorable, save for any that changed the weather to a desert or a snow area. I agree that the bridges were a bit much. There's about 5 of them, but only 2 were really cool aesthetically. If Black and White ever get remade, throwing a couple of fighters on the bridges could rectify this issue I think.

I did like the Gym Leaders(mostly since they had a bit of a presence outside of their respective fights) and Elite 4 myself. Cheren and N were alright too. Bianca was basically Barry, but female, if you ask me. So if you don't like him, you'll probably dislike her too.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Because relationships that I don't like are bad, and anyone who doesn't support my ship and only my ship is a hater.

Last edited:

Soul.

What's this about fan service? :4diddy:
Melee vs. Smash 4 at Apex.
Anyways um, Gen 5 was okay competitively speaking. Weather wars were meh, lolKeldeo was the most common thing ever, rain was the most common weather... yeah. The Rain Generation.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't know. She was kind of a douche. At least, that's the impression I got. Good battle theme though.
Yeah, I was pretty bothered by her too. I like the idea of the character, but her actions made her pretty unlikeable to me (like stealing Key Stones from two kids and a guy who repented for his actions).

As for DP, I agree with what you said, it felt more like a drag for me to play then the other generations (excluding XY).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Melee vs. Smash 4 at Apex.
Anyways um, Gen 5 was okay competitively speaking. Weather wars were meh, lolKeldeo was the most common thing ever, rain was the most common weather... yeah. The Rain Generation.
Keldeo is the best.

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!

I'm kind of sad they changed Keldeo's voice clips.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I was thinking of watching that. Is it any good? Disregard the fanbase in your answer please.
The first series started as a typical magical girl series... then this girl showed up:

And the plot suddenly turned into not-Madoka-level-but-still-lots-of angst and suffering with her getting character development. So yeah, it's not the best but good nowadays.

The 2nd season, A's, is the best of all, as we're introduced to the plot well explained and we see charcter development and very epic fight scenes that gave the series the mini-mecha reputation it's infamous of.

The 3rd season, StrikerS, shows everyone as adults. Rebellion hyped the yuri ship tease, right? Well... I think it learned from this. Though most of the fanbase like it, it's the most divisive one. ESPECIALLY after the introduction of this girl
who calls both main characters "Mama".

But besides that, it has some likable characters and the fights stablished at last the reputation.

Then there's the Vivid and Force manga, but that's up to you if you end liking the series.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Hey anyone knows about the new remaster of that kung fu panda/dinosaur planet/rachet and clank game:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The first series started as a typical magical girl series... then this girl showed up:

And the plot suddenly turned into not-Madoka-level-but-still-lots-of angst and suffering with her getting character development. So yeah, it's not the best but good nowadays.

The 2nd season, A's, is the best of all, as we're introduced to the plot well explained and we see charcter development and very epic fight scenes that gave the series the mini-mecha reputation it's infamous of.

The 3rd season, StrikerS, shows everyone as adults. Rebellion hyped the yuri ship tease, right? Well... I think it learned from this. Though most of the fanbase like it, it's the most divisive one. ESPECIALLY after the introduction of this girl
who calls both main characters "Mama".

But besides that, it has some likable characters and the fights stablished at last the reputation.

Then there's the Vivid and Force manga, but that's up to you if you end liking the series.
I guess I'll check it out.

When I have time to watch stuff again. Wait a second, break is in 2 weeks. How time flies when you're always freaking out about school...

Heh heh, the way you describe season one is almost like episode one of Madoka. Everything is happy n' crud and then Homura shows up and then the weird stuff happens shortly after.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's all I remember.
I actually have the opposite feeling here, especially the gym leaders. I think the Unova games had a great cast of characters. I loved how they actually showed the Gym Leaders doing things outside the gym (Brycen in BW being the only exception, but BW2 fixed that). I also liked Bianca and Cheren a lot.

I HATED Gen VI's Gym Leaders though, by comparison. So bland and unmemorable. They did basically nothing outside of fighting you. Not even sure if I can remember all their names, even.

Let's see.

Ramos, Clemont, Grant, Olympia, Valerie, Wulfric...Alexis is the Bug girl, right? And...Korrina. Ellipses where I had to think. :p

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Hmm, for the Pokemon designs, I actually liked the starters, save Snivy, who was okay at best. But they aren't my personal favorites. That'd be Gen 1 and Gen 3. But each have something going for them. I really liked Emboar from a design standpoint, but gameplay wise, was a disappointment from Blaziken and Infernape. I never found any of the routes that memorable, save for any that changed the weather to a desert or a snow area. I agree that the bridges were a bit much. There's about 5 of them, but only 2 were really cool aesthetically. If Black and White ever get remade, throwing a couple of fighters on the bridges could rectify this issue I think.

I did like the Gym Leaders(mostly since they had a bit of a presence outside of their respective fights) and Elite 4 myself. Cheren and N were alright too. Bianca was basically Barry, but female, if you ask me. So if you don't like him, you'll probably dislike her too.
I thought the BW starters were wasted potential. I only liked Snivy as his baby form is pretty cute. Serperior is cool looking, but his shallow movepool and lack of secondary typing made him dull to use late-game. Tepig's line was blatant carbon copying. Even though I liked the sumo design in mind, there was nothing else about him that stood out to me. I think Oshawott's line lost the most potential. Oshawott and Dewott led me to believe they were gonna become what Froakie's line became, and I was looking to forward to seeing what he'd evolve into. I thought he'd be a ninja/samurai otter.

I was half right, but they pulled this design out of their holes. They turned him into a quadraped beast with a giant protuding horn sticking out of his head, and a random beard. What's worse was he stays pure Water type. I despise the lack of creativity and cohesiveness into Samurott's final design.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree with almost everything TJ-Works said about Black and White, however...
The Gym Leaders are not memorable? What the ****?
Cheren is a ****in' bro.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I actually have the opposite feeling here, especially the gym leaders. I think the Unova games had a great cast of characters. I loved how they actually showed the Gym Leaders doing things outside the gym (Brycen in BW being the only exception, but BW2 fixed that). I also liked Bianca and Cheren a lot.

I HATED Gen VI's Gym Leaders though, by comparison. So bland and unmemorable. They did basically nothing outside of fighting you. Not even sure if I can remember all their names, even.

Let's see.

Ramos, Clemont, Grant, Olympia, Valerie, Wulfric...Alexis is the Bug girl, right? And...Korrina. Ellipses where I had to think. :p
As I said, I'd probably have to replay BW 1 or 2 to see if my opinions change. I couldn't really remember the Gym Leaders outside of the battles, as I thought their teams and typing were boring to battle.

But you're right. X/Y's gym leaders are pretty bad. But I loved the Gym Leader theme. D:

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387

Let's see.

Gen 6 Gym leaders were indeed very dull since all but Korrina were anchored to the gyms for all eternity and the thing that really capitalized on how disconnected the gym leaders were was that Team flare grunts had character models while gym leaders and even the champion had an art poster to represent them. Grunts had priority over gym leaders and thats a step back.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I must be an oddity, as I liked Bianca, but disliked Barry. I think it's because I liked the idea of her using her journey to find her confidence and what she wanted to do in life, even though she could be too imposing at times, whereas Barry was still imposing and didn't really improve that much to me.

I was half right, but they pulled this design out of their holes. They turned him into a quadraped beast with a giant protuding horn sticking out of his head, and a random beard. What's worse was he stays pure Water type. I despise the lack of creativity and cohesiveness into Samurott's final design.
You know, I hear this complaint a lot and I can't say it's not a large jump in design, but it's not like this is the first time Pokémon have jumped a lot in evolution either. Remoraid to Octillery, Magikarp to Gyarados, Dragonair to Dragonite, all of them had pretty drastic changes and shifts from their original designs when they evolved, and yet two of them still remain among the most popular of Pokémon regardless. On the flip side, Samurott does the same thing and yet it gets a lot more flack for it, even though it keeps the same thematic as the other two of its line.

I guess maybe if it remained anthropomorphic, it would've been better off, but I do see what they were trying to go for as sea lions are more bulky looking then otters and would fit the shogun motif more.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As I said, I'd probably have to replay BW 1 or 2 to see if my opinions change. I couldn't really remember the Gym Leaders outside of the battles, as I thought their teams and typing were boring to battle.

But you're right. X/Y's gym leaders are pretty bad. But I loved the Gym Leader theme. D:
My main beef with X/Y is that Korrina is pretty much the only Gym Leader to do something outside the gym. And that the names of most of the badges absolutely suck.

And I'm just realizing that Alexis was the gym leader's sister. Apparently I forgot Viola's name.

We seriously got Bug, Fairy, and Psychic Badges. Way to go, GameFreak...Were Swarm Badge, Pixie Badge, and Kinetic Badge too hard to think of?

Soul.

Does Gen 5 have good songs? I'm honestly not sure. Haven't played BW2 for a while..

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Their teams are a different story...
But I loved the Gym's themselves, at least in Black and White 2, with themed music and really unique layouts. And the leaders in BW2 all have something redeeming about them. Like I said before, Cheren is a bro, Roxie is ****ing metal, Burgh is fabulous, Elesa and Skyla are :love:, Clay and Drayden are manly. And even if they weren't fun, they all have cool designs.

But in X/Y? God, there is nothing there. Their designs seem to be comprised of weird, oblong shapes and they have no bearing on the plot or personality.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
You know, I hear this complaint a lot and I can't say it's not a large jump in design, but it's not like this is the first time Pokémon have jumped a lot in evolution either. Remoraid to Octillery, Magikarp to Gyarados, Dragonair to Dragonite, all of them had pretty drastic changes and shifts from their original designs when they evolved, and yet two of them still remain among the most popular of Pokémon regardless. On the flip side, Samurott does the same thing and yet it gets a lot more flack for it, even though it keeps the same thematic as the other two of its line (going from a samurai to a shogun).

I guess maybe if it remained anthropomorphic, it would've been better off, but I do see what they were trying to go for as sea lions are more bulky looking then otters and would fit the shogun motif more.
If I remember correctly, the Magikarp line is based on a Japanese folktale about a fish dreaming of swimming a waterfall, from bottom to top. Through trial and effort, the fish reaches the top, but emerges as a sea dragon (or something) in triumph of his achievement. So there's basis to Magikarp's drastic evolution.

I don't know if it's the same for the other two lines you mention. Probably have to Google that.

Gen 6 Gym leaders were indeed very dull since all but Korrina were anchored to the gyms for all eternity and the thing that really capitalized on how disconnected the gym leaders were was that Team flare grunts had character models while gym leaders and even the champion had an art poster to represent them. Grunts had priority over gym leaders and thats a step back.
They knew their priorities, that ol' Game Freak. Putting the focus of the story on an evil race of pompous Gaga drag queens incompotent of pulling of plans that support the real goal of Lysandre.

Galactic are no different either, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom