• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The Pokémon anime overall has became a joke. Pure cash-grab that sells and has strong audience thanks to brand name.

They could have done like the games and the Pokémon Adventures manga and have switching protagonists, telling shorter, but more compelling, stories while keeping the same overall series format. It would keep things fresh and interesting each season.
Or maybe give the characters more than just a one-note personality (especially Ash).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I stopped watching the Pokemon anime after the Diamond & Pearl series ended.

None of the others except for the first series (the best) ever really interested me, they're all meximum over-meh.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
They should have stopped when Ash defeated the battle frontier. It was the best season, where he actually improved in his character and in his skills.

But since it makes money, they gotta keep the show going. Yay.
I'm glad they didn't stop after BF, 'cuz we wouldn't have gotten Movie 10 if they did.
And no movie 10 = no this:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
You're honestly better off watching Sonic Boom. Pokémon anime is meh now. X/Y is going to have another season on February 7th in Japan.
Sonic Boom is meh too. The only good character is Eggman, and Knuckles sometimes. The others are just stereotypes. Tails is the nerdy dude, Amy the weird chick and Sonic the chill hero. So you know, it's an okay show, but I don't really like it.

The Pokemon anime in a nutshell:
The irony.

Soul.

Hell yeah
I'm honestly not sure. That's what I heard.....ehhh.... We'll see.
X/Y's saving grace is better animation and um, Kalos Pokémon in the anime. In my opinion.
Sonic Boom is meh too. The only good character is Eggman, and Knuckles sometimes. The others are just stereotypes. Tails is the nerdy dude, Amy the weird chick and Sonic the chill hero. So you know, it's an okay show, but I don't really like it.
Still better than the recolor fest that was Sonic X. Even though I don't watch it, it's better than the games themselves.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

This was funnier than it should have been.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I haven't watched the Pogeymanz animu in years and no doubt others haven't either.

But as long as it prints money, Nintendo don't care what we think of it.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's a reason why JRPG series don't usually stick to the same character casts. Each entry tells a story and things wrap up in the end. Sometimes, there are stories covering two or three entries, but those are rarer. Examples to consider: Tales, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, EarthBound, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade Chronicles, among others.

Same goes with the Pokémon series with several adaptations (mainly manga) following the same models... Except the anime adaptation, for some odd reason. And it shows why the quality is deteriorating. The story and characters have become stale, the whole thing has dragged for too long.

But in the end, sales and quality never run parallel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't watched the Pogeymanz animu in years and no doubt others have either.

But as long as it prints money, Nintendo don't care what we think of it.
Agreed. It should be what @ Frostwraith Frostwraith said about it: switching characters and settings for more compelling storylines while keeping the same old format. Too bad they can't remove Ash from the anime. :troll:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Has anyone played Cave Story? It's among my favorite indie games of all time with it's secrets, hilarous dialouge, and an interesting story. The game is the sole reason why I replayed Metroid Fusion and bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Quote is among my mains in Gang Garrison 2, the poor man's TF2. *sobs bitterly*

No, it isn't because "Story" is in the last part of it's name.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
While I agree with the anime being stale, I don't know if changing protagonists every region would be a much better idea. In the end, they all would probably end up doing the same, saving the region/world and becoming the Champion.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Has anyone played Cave Story? It's among my favorite indie games of all time with it's secrets, hilarous dialouge, and an interesting story. The game is the sole reason why I replayed Metroid Fusion and bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Got it on WiiWare and loved what I played. The music was beautiful too.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I've been considering getting it, but I'm currently backlogged in Mega Man and anything else I'm too lazy to complete.
Plus I still have to get other titles like Pirate's Curse and that one Pushmo game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
While I agree with the anime being stale, I don't know if changing protagonists every region would be a much better idea. In the end, they all would probably end up doing the same, saving the region/world and becoming the Champion.
It would at least give a bigger degree of freedom to the series. Each season would feel fresh and different, while keeping some familiarity at the same time.

Sure, they could keep the hero beats the villains and becomes the champion formula, which honestly is not that different from any sort of story that can be summed up as "hero defeats the villain and saves the world". It's been done to death, but at the same time, you can take that formula and make so many different stories with it.

They could keep the same formula, but spice up with different characters, with different personalities and different motivations. (And you know, actually beating the league, which I believe Ash rarely does.)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Then again, I don't really blame Ash for losing every league he's been in. When half your opponents are bland, out of nowhere Marty Stus, one can't help but feel like the Universe has yanked the chain one too many times.

Soul.

It would at least give a bigger degree of freedom to the series. Each season would feel fresh and different, while keeping some familiarity at the same time.

Sure, they could keep the hero beats the villains and becomes the champion formula, which honestly is not that different from any sort of story that can be summed up as "hero defeats the villain and saves the world". It's been done to death, but at the same time, you can take that formula and make so many different stories with it.

They could keep the same formula, but spice up with different characters, with different personalities and different motivations. (And you know, actually beating the league, which I believe Ash rarely does.)
No, dude, you're right. Ash is rarely seen beating a Pokémon League. The anime is pretty much 80% exploration and 20% battles.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Just standard 9.0 or the 9.0 challenges? 9.0 by itself is actually pretty average difficulty for me. It's just the challenges that are ridiculously hard. I'm so glad I'm done with them. Beaten all three. (And Marth's was the easiest one).
Standard 9.0 using Ness without customization. I seem to die a lot quicker when I end up on the Dog Hunt stage with many characters at once. Also, a Stalfos knocked me into a lava, which hit me into another lava wall, which bounced me back into the lava to kill me right when I get to the last heart of the fortress. At least I ended up beating it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No, dude, you're right. Ash is rarely seen beating a Pokémon League. The anime is pretty much 80% exploration and 20% battles.
If it was 100% battles it would get ****ing boring as all hell.
Pretty sure that Why Persona has little fun moments as well and not all " save this person from the TV, Go to bed, repeat next day"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So he loses in purposee? Must be because Pikachu didn't evolve yet. :troll: :troll: :troll:
Why do I keep using that emoticon so much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Strofirko

Smash Master
ATTENTION:THIS COMMENT IS CALLED "WALKING BLINDLY ON A UNKNOW TERRITORY".

Last edited:

Soul.

If it was 100% battles it would get ****ing boring as all hell.
Pretty sure that Why Persona has little fun moments as well and not all " save this person from the TV, Go to bed, repeat next day"
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of Pokémon to battle?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

Cave Story and Freedom Planet are the two platforming indie games I actually adore. I'm not interested in Super Meat Boy, Fez, etc. They don't really suit my taste.

I have yet to play Shovel Knight and I need to play a bit more of Shantae.

But yeah, Cave Story is great stuff, everyone should play it!

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Is anyone here familiar with the story of the Chinese novel, Journey to the West? (Outside of Dragonball.)

One of my tasks is to draw a key scene from one of the chapters in it, but I'm unfamiliar with it. I only have time to read through summaries of the story. I'm wondering if any knows of an ideal scene that would look great as a piece of concept art?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In other news, the new Fire Emblem game is intended to be released this year in Europe. Provided that Awakening takes precedence, that should mean the Americas will get it sometime this year too.

I would agree, but due to the nature of the franchise, I have my doubts. Pokémon is a series built on sticking to what works, and while that's sometimes good, it means that it will strictly stick to that formula and not change too much as a result. Due to that, I think if an anime were to be made with the game protagonists, it would still fall into the same traps as the current one does.

I think most people would think Origins was / Is better than the anime.
The funny thing is, Origins still has similar problems to the main anime as well. Granted, it's better in other ways, but you still have the traditional problems like the main Pokémon being given the lion share of the screentime (actually, even Pikachu was better about that then Origins!Charizard), and it still does market something like the main anime does, even if it's to the detriment of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom