• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I can tell you right now that Luffy's not coming. Goku, Naruto, and Ichigo are only still in because they were already programmed. Grandfather clause. They're trying to cut down on the anime.

The Exploding Tag item (from Naruto) was even removed at the insistence of developer TSON.
IIRC Luffy was being developed as an expansion character by one of the devs. If expansion characters do eventually become an implemented feature, only dev ones would be available for all modes. I'd say Luffy could be added as a normal character. His biggest obstacle is internal debate about anime/manga characters. I know Suli and some of the other devs think they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Brawl looks dull and too detailed IMO. When I tried looking at N64 graphics and comparing to Wii U graphics, the N64 hasn't age at all.. Same goes to NES and today's 2D games.
In general, Brawl just tried TOO hard to be dark and edgy for the sake of a T rating. From detailed visuals that make many characters look off and the so fanfiction-y Subpsace Emissary that feels like a Kingdom Hearts game. Though ironically the game was make for the sake of being anti-competitive with things like tripping and the floaty physics that make you feel like you're in space. Take Bowser for example:

Note how he looks so unsettling with the dull colors and realistic details (Gums in his jaw, reptilian scales, details in the spikes, ect.). This combined with how inexpressive the characters feel compared to the more "full of life" Smash 4 gives off some serious Uncanny Valley vibes. If you aren't convinced that it's bad, then look at how overdesigned Mario looks with the denim details of his overalls. I'm not bashing Brawl in any way (It is one of my favorite Wii titles in the world), but it isn't perfect with its offputting art style and gameplay flaws.

Soul.

lol, Pikachu's Thunder in SSF2 meteor smashes. Is there anything different or does it function exactly the same like in Smash 4?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
IIRC Luffy was being developed as an expansion character by one of the devs. If expansion characters do eventually become an implemented feature, only dev ones would be available for all modes. I'd say Luffy could be added as a normal character. His biggest obstacle is internal debate about anime/manga characters. I know Suli and some of the other devs think they shouldn't have been there in the first place.
And 90% of the fanbase.

The only thing keeping them from being erased entirely is their existing mains. (Like me, a Goku main who would be pissed if he was taken out.)

lol, Pikachu's Thunder in SSF2 meteor smashes. Is there anything different or does it function exactly the same like in Smash 4?
iirc, they changed it when it was announced how SSB4 Thunder would be changed.

Thunder wasn't exactly popular among anyone who didn't main Pikachu. It needed changed.

Last edited:

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Man these data Organization battles are hard as f*** but they're so much more fun than I thought they would be. I already have Marluxia, Roxas, Axel, and Saix down and I wanna get Vexen and Xaldin down before I turn off the game.

D

Deleted member

I hope not. Not expecting a new Smash from Sakurai ever and I can't see Wii U lasting much beyond this year. It's only saving grace in sales is fans buying A LOT of first-party software, and 3DS isn't doing too hot either and sells fewer games per system sold.
You're right, 3DS ain't doing very great like its predecessor did. If DS ended at 150x units sold, 3DS would've ended at at least 60, or a number comparable to Game Boy Advance, or something similar. But talking about consoles, even if Wii U isn't doing well, it's not regarded as a commercial failure or whatever (look at the Vita for example, still at only 4 million units and even the aforementioned home console surpassed it in sales, and it's way behind the 3DS, (again, sales-wise). ) GameCube didn't do that well either and look what happened. Nintendo is stayin' alive.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

So, howzit goin'?
Nothing much, Bowser. Did you party at some place? You look like you did.. in your castle. :troll:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
And 90% of the fanbase.

The only thing keeping them from being erased entirely is their existing mains. (Like me, a Goku main who would be pissed if he was taken out.)

Thunder wasn't exactly popular among anyone who didn't main Pikachu. It needed changed.
Well, at least people on Miiverse got they wanted right? Goku in Smash :troll: :troll:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Man these data Organization battles are hard as f*** but they're so much more fun than I thought they would be. I already have Marluxia, Roxas, Axel, and Saix down and I wanna get Vexen and Xaldin down before I turn off the game.
They're still easy compared to the Lingering Will.
As I completed all of them after the Lingering Will, my stat boosts made the fights pretty similar to the original ones.
The only ones that gave me a problem were Xemnas (my first attempt Riku had basically no health when Xemnas trapped Sora) and Luxord (you have to complete his final game to defeat him and I kept screwing up on it).

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Well, at least people on Miiverse got they wanted right? Goku in Smash :troll: :troll:
I am going to be flayed for saying this, but I honestly wouldn't mind if he made it. I know why he wouldn't fit, but I honestly wouldn't mind.

(Note that I had zero interest in Dragon Ball before he was added to SSF2. It was his being so fun to play as that made me want to give the series a chance.)

Soul.

And 90% of the fanbase.

I'm honestly fine with the changes to Thunder. If it's exactly the same as Smash 4's Thunder, then.... up throw to Thunder KOs let's go.
......All I need is....them using this sprite as a base or something.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Update on my stolen items case: Police were supposed to interview my younger brother a couple days ago. They haven't done ANYTHING on the case even though they have 8 names and numbers for potential suspects...
I would of just given up and been glad they took such a time consuming thing out of my life. I cant focus on college thanks to my wii u and 3DS
Thats just me. Sorry about your problem

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In general, Brawl just tried TOO hard to be dark and edgy for the sake of a T rating. From detailed visuals that make many characters look off and the so fanfiction-y Subpsace Emissary that feels like a Kingdom Hearts game. Though ironically the game was make for the sake of being anti-competitive with things like tripping and the floaty physics that make you feel like you're in space. Take Bowser for example:

Note how he looks so unsettling with the dull colors and realistic details (Gums in his jaw, reptilian scales, details in the spikes, ect.). This combined with how inexpressive the characters feel compared to the more "full of life" Smash 4 gives off some serious Uncanny Valley vibes. If you aren't convinced that it's bad, then look at how overdesigned Mario looks with the denim details of his overalls. I'm not bashing Brawl in any way (It is one of my favorite Wii titles in the world), but it isn't perfect with its offputting art style and gameplay flaws.
Smash 4 certainly has the best aesthetics of the entire series.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel like the only person who enjoys Brawl's style. Sure, I think Smash 4 looks far better, but there are some things I miss.
Mario's detailed overalls were actually reminiscent of Super Mario World. None of the characters looked bad to me.

Besides, Smash 4 is almost as detailed as Brawl, it just uses a primary colour palette.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You're right, 3DS ain't doing very great like its predecessor did. If DS ended at 150x units sold, 3DS would've ended at at least 60, or a number comparable to Game Boy Advance, or something similar. But talking about consoles, even if Wii U isn't doing well, it's not regarded as a commercial failure or whatever (look at the Vita for example, still at only 4 million units and even the aforementioned home console surpassed it in sales, and it's way behind the 3DS, (again, sales-wise). ) GameCube didn't do that well either and look what happened. Nintendo is stayin' alive.
Gamecube had something the Wii U lacked which was third party support, which is nigh impossible since they would rather not program some proper controls on the Gamepad. At least Nintendo has plenty of money to sustain themselves unlike Sega who had driven themselves to their own grave with crap like the Sega Saturn. People have pretty unrealistic expectations for the company like Nintendo theme parks and movies, but software should be their main focus since I doubt they have what it takes to manage a park. Just give Nintendo some time to at least have two more successful consoles before any of that happens, though the chances are low since Sony is clearly the superior one in the race due to their heavy advertising and flawless consoles (Plus the growing amount of damn cell phone/touchpad loving casuals).

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Update on my stolen items case: Police were supposed to interview my younger brother a couple days ago. They haven't done ANYTHING on the case even though they have 8 names and numbers for potential suspects...
I would of just given up and been glad they took such a time consuming thing out of my life. I cant focus on college thanks to my wii u and 3DS
Thats just me. Sorry about your problem

Or it could be Link's Crossbow Training
You should know they don't acknowledge those games anyway

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I feel like the only person who enjoys Brawl's style. Sure, I think Smash 4 looks far better, but there are some things I miss.
Mario's detailed overalls were actually reminiscent of Super Mario World. None of the characters looked bad to me.

Besides, Smash 4 is almost as detailed as Brawl, it just uses a primary colour palette.
Don't worry, I enjoy Brawl's art style. I really liked the detail on the characters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sony
flawless consoles
My PS3 died. Albeit from years of heavy play time, but it still died. Just saying, I do love the Playstation line.

Comparatively, a Gameboy was in an explosion and still works.
Completely unrelated to the rest of your post but whatever.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

after looking at brawl, I liked smash 4s style WAY more and saw how weird brawl looked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gamecube had something the Wii U lacked which was third party support, which is nigh impossible since they would rather not program some proper controls on the Gamepad. At least Nintendo has plenty of money to sustain themselves unlike Sega who had driven themselves to their own grave with crap like the Sega Saturn. People have pretty unrealistic expectations for the company like Nintendo theme parks and movies, but software should be their main focus since I doubt they have what it takes to manage a park. Just give Nintendo some time to at least have two more successful consoles before any of that happens, though the chances are low since Sony is clearly the superior one in the race due to their heavy advertising and flawless consoles (Plus the growing amount of damn cell phone/touchpad loving casuals).
I must be like the only one who is seriously not interested in both Xbox and PlayStation. :troll:
Imagine a casual talking about the DualShock 4 touchpad: "Oh, it's so innovative!". And I could blame Apple for the rise of mobile gaming, but that's how stuff works. Seriously, the games aren't appealing to me, and the fanboys / console wars are pretty much the reason why gaming is as it is today. You're right about Sega though, lots of Osborne effects here and there. *laughs*

But that's just me I guess.

Maybe Nintendo will have a successful console next generation or so. We'll see.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Eh, as someone who quite likes the Playstation line I couldn't call them flawless.
I don't think I could really call any console flawless.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I were to get a "Borderlands" game, which game would be the best to get?

I didn't even know there were 3

D

Deleted member

If I were to get a "Borderlands" game, which game would be the best to get?

I didn't even know there were 3
Well, I never played those games, but I suggest you start with the first one. That's what I would do but eh it's up to you.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
after looking at brawl, I liked smash 4s style WAY more and saw how weird brawl looked.
Well Smash 4 is far better obviously, but I still think that Brawl looked great for the time.

It still looks better than Melee, anyway. I'm probably going to get attacked by rabid Melee fanboys now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fun Fact: Faces of Evil actually got decent reviews when it first came out.

What I meant by this is that I'll grab my stuff and use it to bribe Phillips and Nintendo to make a third CDI Zelda (One that is canon to the timeline and features Morshu as a main character). :troll:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does it have a continuing story or something?
Yes, but it's not that important since the story is just wacky, crazy, and over the top. It'd be like starting at Devil May Cry 4 instead of chronologically starting at DMC3, DMC1, DMC4, then DMC2.

Here's the thing, Borderlands' story gets "better" starting with 2 where it's more or less a part of what you are doing, but people play Borderlands more for the loot and gameplay sort of like Diablo rather than the story. Chronologically, it starts with BL1, The Pre-Sequel, and 2. I think the Telltales game is set after 2. BL1's story was eh. The ending to many was like Fallout 3's ending except you can continue the game, but it's really unrewarding after the ending. I haven't played 2 or The Pre-Sequel, but people say it's better story-wise.

Also, with BL1, don't play the DLC until after your second run. For some reason, they made it so that the DLC... I don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't scale like during the main campaign where you progress to different areas and enemies get stronger. DLC is set and unless you know specifically and even then, it might make you OP for the main story and the other DLC. I don't know if they fixed that with BL2's DLC.

So, you can start with any, but I'd say start with BL1 and move on to each game to notice how things changed gameplay-wise.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Since I haven't followed the competitive side of SSB until now, but is GimR's schtick to use Mr. Game & Watch's Judge as much as possible? ... It's hilarious!!! In case you haven't seen it - it's probably old news, though, -: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSufzUplu_Y.
That;s incredible.
Judge really is one of the funnest moves to land. At least, as long as it's not a 1.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That;s incredible.
Judge really is one of the funnest moves to land. At least, as long as it's not a 1.
First it was the windbox from Mr. G&W's Uair and now the 9 with Judge. I wonder what's GimR's gonna do next since it's so funny watching him pull off stuff like that.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well Smash 4 is far better obviously, but I still think that Brawl looked great for the time.

It still looks better than Melee, anyway. I'm probably going to get attacked by rabid Melee fanboys now.
I agree. Melee may have the best competitive scene, but it definitely has the worst aesthetic (IMO).
And Melee is also home to the worst SFX of all the Smash games. (Again, IMO)
First it was the windbox from Mr. G&W's Uair and now the 9 with Judge. I wonder what's GimR's gonna do next since it's so funny watching him pull off stuff like that.
Somehow kill someone with G&W's weird down Tilt Air box.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I must be like the only one who is seriously not interested in both Xbox and PlayStation. :troll:
Imagine a casual talking about the DualShock 4 touchpad: "Oh, it's so innovative!". And I could blame Apple for the rise of mobile gaming, but that's how stuff works. Seriously, the games aren't appealing to me, and the fanboys / console wars are pretty much the reason why gaming is as it is today. You're right about Sega though, lots of Osborne effects here and there. *laughs*

But that's just me I guess.

Maybe Nintendo will have a successful console next generation or so. We'll see.
I've only owned Nintendo consoles.

So, you're not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom