• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Rickety

Peace and Love
Omigosh, I can't believe that I was included on this latest update! <3

Thank you all so much for this honor! I can say with complete honesty that I never expected to be ranked in anything, ever!
(Unless it's for the Biggest Doofus Rankings or something like that, then I'm sure I'd take top honors!)

While I can't guarantee that I'll be able keep my spot on here, much less move upwards,
I will say that as long the Smash community is filled with the many wonderful people that make it what it is,
you can always count on my silly self to to show up and have the time of his life! <3

Thank you so much for being so super, everyone! <3 <3

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
New PR:

Socal Power Rankings (9/14/2013):
Panelists: Tafokints, Sung, MacD, Fly

1. MioM | Mango
2. S2J
3. Fly_Amanita
4. Lucky
5. OXY | Westballz
6. Eddy Mexico
7. Fiction
8. MacD
9. Connor
10. Okami
11. HugS
12. Tafokints
13. OXY | Sung666
14. Bimbo Mexico
15. OXY | Stabbedbyanipple
16. OXY | J666
17. ROFL
18. Cool Kid
19. SFS | A Rookie
20. Rickety

Thread will be updated whenever one of them gets the chance.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
rc for power rankings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AshzJ1LNGug

to the panel:

i have a question: do money matches count towards the power rankings?

the proposal: public (or quasi-public) challenge to any member ranked above you must* be accepted.

minimum standards: $10 mm; 2/3 or 3/5 w/ standard tourny ruleset; must be recorded OR at least one panel member must witness the set

*not to be taken literally. in this context all "must" really means is the community informally pushes for it to happen, but no one literally has to

if so i challenge a money match to anyone ranked 10-20 (and anyone unranked, including the ultra talented unranked-but-would-obviously-be-ranked-if-they-participated doods like lovage and alex19) by the aforementioned standards. <333

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
To answer a question not directed at me from 10 days ago, I personally would count money matches above $10 (since that's about how much tourney + venue is) and I'd guess the rest of the Norcal PR panel would too.

nublet06

Smash Lord
money matches get like.....1/8th of consideration.

everybody has good matchups. and if you just happen to challenge someone who you feel you do well against and win. good for you. go win some tournament matches tho. its impossible to emulate bracket pressure and the tournament stamina it takes to beat top players at 10 pm after a long day ect...

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i have actually been part of a couple of large public money matches and they were, without a shadow of a doubt, filled with much more pressure than any tournament match i've ever been apart of.

that pressure is just as impossible to emulate as bracket pressure.

more importantly, due to the variance and vagaries of bracket formation/attendance, said MMs offer the benefit of a larger sample size = less variance = more accurate rankings

nublet06

Smash Lord
yeah i understand all of that. just saying you could beat s2j in a money match tomorrow and its not going to mean anything for the rankings. just the way it is. not saying i agree with it. but bracket is where the rankings are earned. even pools victories dont really get you any credit from what i have seen over the years.

Signia

Smash Lord
its impossible to emulate bracket pressure and the tournament stamina it takes to beat top players at 10 pm after a long day ect...
Haha it sure is. Those $5 FT3s are nothing. Play $20 FT5s and it'll get serious.

Signia

Smash Lord
unless 5 dollars doesnt mean anything to one of the players....
Just saying that if you don't think money matches test dealing with pressure and endurance as much as a bracket match, increase the stakes and set count. The standard money match in the Melee community is very low stakes and doesn't involve very many matches, so I can see why you thought money matches aren't to be compared to bracket matches as a test of skill. I don't care about the rankings either way, just thought it was funny that you thought that way because it was obvious it was because of stuff like the dollar matches I used to see.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Hahaha panelists :|

Sometimes it means a lot more doing $5 MMs than for some people doing $10. Even so, I'd say ~20$ 3/5 tourney ruleset would be acceptable. I also think it would have to be arranged before hand to let people know about it (on smashboards/facebook whatever).

I would consider these MMs when making the rankings (whether it would weigh as much as tourney is a different story), but that's just me. Any other panelist wanna chime in?

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
It's hard to account for MM cuz of the lack of reporting. Maybe someone should consolidate a list of MM that happen, otherwise it's too hard to remember who played who in MMs

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
It's hard to account for MM cuz of the lack of reporting. Maybe someone should consolidate a list of MM that happen, otherwise it's too hard to remember who played who in MMs
um daniel maybe u should read the thread again

the proposal: public (or quasi-public) challenge to any member ranked above you must* be accepted.

minimum standards: $10 mm; 2/3 or 3/5 w/ standard tourny ruleset; must be recorded OR at least one panel member must witness the set

*not to be taken literally. in this context all "must" really means is the community informally pushes for it to happen, but no one literally has to

SacaSuMoto

Smash Journeyman
Predictions for the new PR :OOO

Being taken out:
Mango
Rickety
Stab

Being considered in:
Kira
DEHF
Alex19

Top 5 prediction:
1. Fly
2. Lucky
3. S2J
4. Fiction
5. Westballz

(lucky's placing at KOC3 makes me want to put him at third though and **** these monsters beat each other all the time)

A Rookie, Sung, Coolkid getting a higher ranking
(who knows what to make of ROFL 3-0ing silent wolf)
J666 getting a lower one

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Quick comparison of the top 5 to kick off discussion.

Lucky

Festizzios: did not attend
SSS #4: did not attend
SSS #5: 1st
SSS #6: 1st
SSS #7: 1st
SSS #8: 7th
SSS #9: 3rd
Kings of Cali 3: 17th

S2J

SSS #4: 13th
SSS #5: 7th
SSS #6: 3rd
SSS #7: 2nd
SSS #8: 1st
SSS #9: 4th
Kings of Cali 3: 9th

Fly Amanita

SSS #4: 1st
SSS #5: 5th
SSS #6: 4th
SSS #7: 3rd
SSS #8: 4th
SSS #9: 1st
Kings of Cali 3: 2nd

Fiction

Festizzios: 1st
SSS #4: 2nd
SSS #5: 2nd
SSS #6: 7th
SSS #7: 4th
SSS #8: 2nd
SSS #9: 2nd
Kings of Cali 3: 13th

Westballz

Festizzios: 5th
SSS #4: 4th
SSS #5: 7th
SSS #6: 2nd
SSS #7: 5th
SSS #8: 5th
SSS #9: 5th
Kings of Cali 3: 5th

Nos

Smash Rookie
why would fiction be above me...that would be straight ********.
Westballz... PLEASE START ****** AGAIN you're breaking our hearts. We all want you at that number 1 spot but you just won't let the panel put you there. Why do you do this to us?!?!?!?!?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
was thinking about this the other day. this ranking includes both teams and singles skill/performance as well as expected OOS performance. it also takes history and my assessment of pure, unadulterated skill.

0. mango
1. s2j
2. lucky
3. fly
4. macd
5. fiction
6. westballz
7. eddy mexico

gap

explanation:

s2j is the best teams player in socal and it's not close. macd is the 2nd best and that earns him placements over fiction and wes.

fly is the best in singles but is pure AIDS in doubles; 3rd is being kind.

wouldnt be surprised to see fiction 1st next time around

8. connor
9. alex19
10. lovage
11. dehf
12. ken

gap

connor is by far the best teams player in this group. he also has the most history/sample size. he had a couple of huge performances and a couple of LOL performances.

based on pure skill i'd rank alex19 7th without batting an eye. he just never shows up for doubles and doesnt have enough of a sample size of dominant results to overcome that

i dunno oscar and larry's placements super well. this is just based on history and knowing their skill. to me, once you've proven it within ~a 2 year window that you're a beast, you still get 80% credit for being a beast. i dont penalize you much. all you have to do is show up once in a blue moon and i'll rank you.

i have philosophical differences with the whole "zomg but u only showed up to 1 tourny in six months or a year" thing. who cares, skill remains mostly stable. if i personally ask u to play and can get you to agree, as far as im concerned you're active and im ranking you as long as you dont totally **** the bed.

ken is obv mad good and has elite potential, something i dont see in anyone who is ranked behind him (sung excepted).
gap

13. okami
14. sung
15. hugS
16. bimbo
17. kira
18. tafo
19. stab
20. rofl

okami's pretty good but i don't see him improving much; he's too stubborn. sung is a beast and based on pure unadulterated skill has top 5 potential. unfortunately he's also put up some AIDS teams performances that are seriously holding him back.

bimbo is the player i am least confident of in my subjective ranking, but he's prob earned it.

hugs isnt that good but he's not that bad either. solid place holder

kira is a beast, as he's recently proved, and has gobs of history on his side. tafo just isnt that good to me and i dont want to reward him just for being really active.

stab has history + a consistent play style that rarely gets scrubbed out on. he's also mad good in teams. ditto rofl.

honorable mention:

1. a rookie
2. cool kid

a rookie is stepping it up but it's hard to rank him . socal is just too stacked. and he's not much in teams.

i know little about cool kid but the little i know is very impressive. if he was more active he could get ranked. we really need to see sample size on him.

fwiw anyone 16th thru honorable mention are potentially interchangeable imo. id be super down with just ranking 15, have 5 honorable mention, and go with that. hugs as the guardian to get yourself ranked makes too much sense.

imo no one else is worthy of mention. if u cant beat me consistently u shouldnt be ranked, socal is too good.

Top Bottom