• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
You think you can take Julian and Joey?

I think you have experience on them but, you are mad old and rusty Hugo!

JK

They sure like to press a lot of buttons though, especially that Zhu fellow.

HAHA

YOU GOT THIS.

Start doing flashy useless stuff like superwavedashing like Phanna. Its the only thing that you dont already do.

BTW you are my favorite smasher to watch Hugo, no idea why really, I think its just because of how you play, really smart. I always feel like I learn something when I watch you play.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
idk, the only thing you've said is that character's hitboxes and priorities don't change along with the player playing them. a startling revelation, i know
I know what I said. And if you understand that much then you should also understand why Fox ***** Peach.

Better brush up on that match up Joe or you're gonna get *****.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I can't begin to explain how much i like that PR, Jkun.
let me guess is it because there is hot sexy pic of you in it?

or

is it the pic of connor, macd, mango, joey and p

i would like to know cuz there is a few mistakes on the pr like you can see the white line near fly and such

Kira-

Smash Champion
Fox has a slight advantage against everyone, but you have to remember that everyone knows how to fight Fox so there are no surprises, and that he gets combo'd pretty hard. Every time McCain hits you you're taking 50%+ and are probably going to be off the stage.

So the matchup is that it's much harder for fox to get hit, but if he does he takes tons of damage; it's easier for fox to hit peach, but he doesn't punish quite as hard.

I kinda agree with Joe, unless the Fox is really experienced and can play at a high level all the time then i think the matchup is slightly in Peach's favor.

Iono... maybe i just like fighting fox with all my characters. They're so predictable! Plus I feel like when I get hit by Fox it's either because I messed up or because my opponent did something smart. You'd think there's no third option, but when I fight Peach, every time I get hit it's like, "Wow, that was noob and really shouldn't have worked, but it did and it somehow 0-death'd me" or "Hmm, what just happened was completely out of my control, I took the correct action in that situation but I'm still getting punished." Basically, I feel like Peach defies the game. It feels like the same rules of strategic smash don't apply to JUST HER, making it largely not fun to fight Peach unless you're purely trying to prove a point or test your ability to win.

-___________________________________-
anyway. sorry mccain, i'll still play you at home of course

jason send me that picture later, it's not working =(

0 - Kage
1 - Mango
i was gonna do that for this PR but no one else thought it was funny =(

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
McCain vs. Joe sounds fun. You can probably guess whom I think will win.

I like the pictures in the PR. I think the name of Mango's character should be Rondoudou, though, since that's clearly Jigglypuff's most awesome name.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
this is probably noob but eh

doesn't it also help that peach fights fox more frequently than fox fights peach?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Just wondering why is Eddy Mexico ranked? wasn't pat's house his only socal tourney

Adam M!

Smash Lord
Start doing flashy useless stuff like superwavedashing like Phanna. Its the only thing that you dont already do.
the thing is, it's not even useless. superwavedashing is useless for the vital part in the match where your opponent is invincibile. super wave dash right as they come down or walk to you or something and then by the time they're near you you're on equal ground. huge usefulness

and stuff like IHSB does... hugo really should add it, it'd only make him better

i really don't see any reason he shouldn't add stuff like that, samus' perfect waveland off the platforms is just too good not to use and abuse

and kira, all your posts nowadays are biased as hell because you form your opinion almost solely off of how well you do and you think you're god's gift vs fox i guess

jkun, amazing pictures but, put me as P, not neighborhood P wtf

or adam, cuz i will never enter another tournament as P

larry's right btw, why in the world is eddy ranked. i would 3 stock him

araknophobik

Smash Master
why is that the only pic of hugo in circulation
jkun next time use the lumber jack one floating around
i think theres a thread with funny smasher pics i think mike haze posted it

DJMirror

Smash Master
Thanks everyone about their opinions of the pr pic I'll try to make it better on the next update

JDM

Smash Champion
Eddie Mexico's performance
Winners' bracket
Defeated Pat
Lost to Zhu

Losers' bracket
Defeated Alan
Defeated embracethe12
Lost to Connor

Overall placing: 17/48

I don't get it either.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i think eddie mexico went to coast to coast. i could be wrong.

i just remember dave saying there was a minimum of 2 tournaments for consideration of being ranked or something like that

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
McCain I will literally **** you (Im big enough too) after Joe is done.

And @ P duh its useful ( I was joking) thats why I suggested it. Hugo's already my favorite player to watch, and well if he started being dumb technical and fast and flashy and SWDing all over the place, well that would be like Christmas everyday, in every match of his.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Omigosh, I love those rankings, Jkun! It's so pretty! <3

I like it so much that I want to get ranked now.
Too bad that I'm so bad and stinky at this game that it's never, ever going to happen! : [

I'll just admire that list from a distance! <3

D

Deleted member

Nice PR Jason

I approve of the pic you chose, the only decent one out of my 500 bad ones

joeplicate

Smash Master
I know what I said. And if you understand that much then you should also understand why Fox ***** Peach.

Better brush up on that match up Joe or you're gonna get *****.
idk my peach game is pretty solid
see ucla 7, where i tapped your hobbit *** ;)
mikey, go to a tourney and **** joe too!!!!!! :grin:
see above

in all seriousness, the way i think about the matchup is

although fox has an advantage on everybody on paper, that advantage only becomes apparent at a really high level of play (unless it's actually a bad matchup, like falcon, ganon, kirby...) What's the first thing that everybody learns how to do in smash? **** fox, edgeguard fox, combo fox, etc.

He's the most common character in the game by far, and everybody has a ****load of experience against him. It's not until the fox gets his tech skill completely down, stops making mistakes, and begins to play really gay/safe/smart that, I think, he starts to really contend for the best character in the game.

This is especially noticeable with peach, where one bad nair/dumb approach will get you dsmashed to 40%, chaingrabbed, or thrown off the level. Until you get good enough to play really smart and efficiently, peach punishes the **** out of fox. (there's waveshine -> upsmash on the other end, but it doesn't set up for edgeguarding or put her off the stage like peach's combos do)

Toss in the fact that, in any given region, there are about 3 foxes for every peach, and there's a pretty big gap in terms of matchup experience. Which is why I think fox doesn't start "******" peach until a very high level.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
idk my peach game is pretty solid
see ucla 7, where i tapped your hobbit *** ;)
Wasn't that over a year ago.. ? I'm pretty sure I ***** you in the Circuit Melee tourney held early this year. And yeah, you were terrible. To think you were actually ranked.

Selective memory ftl :laugh:

Try again Joe.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
although fox has an advantage on everybody on paper, that advantage only becomes apparent at a really high level of play
why don't you think that you are on the cusp of very high level play?

the only problem is consistency. and if you're not confident that you can sustain high level play for four stocks every time you pick up the controller, find a new game

god you and kira's whole posts whenever you guys talk about matchups just makes me facepalm and really worry about socal. the mindset is not wrong, it's just totally irrelevent. everything you said is only relevant if you're bad enough to where it applies, when the whole point is focusing and improving to the point where it doesn't apply. so even if it currently applies, that's because YOU still have a ways to go, NOT that the matchup is not as broken as it is

Top Bottom