• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

escapegoat

Smash Rookie
I think I got about four times as good just from that Smashfest. Leetest thing I've ever been to in my life, no questions asked.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
^ LMAO

Objectively speaking, no one should host a melee tournament honestly, melee players have proven they're unreliable and too few in numbers. We as a community have done nothing to deserve them so I sure won't be the one to be a torch bearer

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
wowwww P
where were you at san diego when we had 50+
sorry no one showed up to s&c, its fathers day fool ****
do you know what the word unreliable is

very few people in the melee community either have the passion or the needs (vast majority of you guys depend rides from others who are sketchy as hell) to be able to say, "I'm going to this Melee tournament 100% no matter what just because I want to." The only way that happens is if it's a generally well set-up tournament that's easy to set aside and commit to. Since such tournaments are a rarity for an outdated game, the competitive scene as we once knew it is dead. We're no longer SoCal, we're like the midwest or something.

Or in other words, when the community's 20 people legit, and only half of those people show up for any given tournament, it's more dead than not.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
true the scene we have now will never be anything like what it was a few years ago
its a shame that thats the way it is, but I like it! every melee tournament I go to, i know everyone thats there plus the people we don't know we are very friendly to and they are quickly absorbed into our <3 community (replicate, waffle's blue shirt'd falco guy)

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
it's just disappointing to me that my love for the game has to take a backseat to real life circumstances.

i've gotten over it though, and now i'm just pissed i have to guess which tournaments are worth going to and being wrong =/, esp when there's not as much incentive for being right

but in reality we go to tournaments for two different things -shrugs-

festizzio

Smash Champion
Good news: I have made myself unavailable at work on saturdays, so I can go to tourneys again! :D

Edit: except Nexus cause I was dumb and didn't request it in time. T_T

Top Bottom