• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So why is Luigi so hard exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I can't figure it out. If it is because of the long slide after slipping then we are over reacting to this matchup. Fair is beastly and out-ranges all of his aerials. I am probably missing something here so how about you guys fill me in.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Eliminate his air approaches with peanuts and by throwing nanerz from jumps or throw them upwards. Grabs, mfk/monkey hump, and Ftilt for ground approaches.

If you attack head on with nanerz from the ground, don't try comboing him(DA>Tilt/Aerial/etc.), either chase for the grab, use the mfk, or go get your naner(z).

Bait aerials or shield his jabs then smash for KO'ing. If you can surround him with nanerz then the traction becomes kind of useless and getting some damage in is easier.

If he fireball camps use peanuts from SHs or jumps. Similar to the Peach match-up, get rid of their air game and they're forced to play defensively. I don't have much exp., not sure if anyone would say this advice is legit. =/

TreK

Is "that guy"
The main danger from luigi is edgeguard. If you know his range, you win.

ADHD

Smash Hero
He edgeguards diddy better than any other char, he can't be trip-followed up on the ground meaning all your kill options are risky -_-, doesn't die until 150 anyway considering that kill move is fresh, kills you at as low as 70-90, beats diddy up close, and has better aerials (excluding diddy's fair.) It's downright tough.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
But Diddy shouldn't be up close if Luigi can kill him so early. If you play as defensively as possible, you will win.

white peachy

Smash Ace
But Diddy shouldn't be up close if Luigi can kill him so early. If you play as defensively as possible, you will win.

It's hard to play defensively when you can't follow up the bananas with anything. He's also in the air constantly (further negating the normal banana game), and diddy's Fair is all you've really got to combat that. Fireballs also seem like they could hurt your camping, though not tremendously bad. He can combo diddy easily with utilt and if he can space well, grabbing is hard. He caan gimp you with Nair and tornado can be randomly effective there too. His lack of traction prevents you from getting the normal forward glide toss---> smash finisher, and without that it's hella hard to get in a smash kill. And if they know they matchup, you won't be able to gimp him.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
he can't be combo'd because of his high priority aerials and slide distance. I dunno how he edgeguards better than meta or wario though.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Fair beats all his attempts on the ground and his attempts in the air so its harder to play. In this matchup, you just think about bananas as projectiles rather than combo starters and you have more possibilities. Fireballs are a minor inconvenience at best and shouldn't be a problem. Gimping I can understand but everything else, not so much.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
the main problem is killing and gimping. Luigi can gimp us well, and can kill. Diddy can't kill luigi that early, and since he slides so far its harder to get a kill off/rack up damage, and its also pretty hard to gimp him
Basically, luigi can rack up damage easily, kills us easily, and gimp us well. While its harder for us to rack up damage, kill him, and gimp him.

Count

Smash Champion
It is sort of hard to talk about how difficult luigi is, you sort of just have to experience it.

Noob comment I know.

The fact that you can't land any kill moves is what gets to me. I let a luigi live to 230 last time I faced one in tourney. I spammed fair and so it was stale as can be and then I couldn't land anything else, because even if you hit a nana that doesn't guarantee a smash attack.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
OK, so I played this matchup with a friend and noticed these things.

Luigi is low lag and powerful in the air with very little commitment on individual attacks. This gives him an advantage in getting past Diddy's camp game.

Combine this with the fact he's barely phased by many of Diddy's combos, and can SHIELD to escape them (throwing a Banana at his shield causes him to slide away 100 miles wtf). If you hit him with a Banana at the edge, he just grabs the ledge and the situation is restarted...

And then there is glidetoss -> Smashes, and his Smashes are not all that unsafe on block.

Yup, it's a pretty **** matchup.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
T_T what annoys me in this match is if the luigi predicts ur airdodge so well that he punishes u with a shoryuken : <

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Luigi requires a totally different playstyle since he is always in the air causing problems. In addition, he kills Diddy very early and has a terribly powerful N-Air that can hurt alot of Diddy's combos.

The fact that you can't land any kill moves is what gets to me. I let a luigi live to 230 last time I faced one in tourney. I spammed fair and so it was stale as can be and then I couldn't land anything else, because even if you hit a nana that doesn't guarantee a smash attack.
This is true, Diddy has alot of trouble killing him because of nana nullification 0_0.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Yes, they must connect with something -- it doesn't have to be the opposing player though.
balloons on smashville too good :p

oh and yoshi's island shyguys are best at refreshing ur fair :3

dont use the move u want to refresh on these objects of course a nair/dair can work well :3

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
best place to refresh stuff is like Luigi's Mansion lmao. Don't destroy the top pillars and keep hitting the bottom ones with random crap lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom