• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Pits arrows are so much more versatile than Dark pits and thats the main reason I use him (Also because the silverbows arrows are NOT meant to be purple it just doesnt seem right). Ive actually got so many kills with pits arrows by gimping people. Best part though is when youve knocked them really far from the edge and they think they are safe and you send out a fully charged arrow and snipe them into the blast zone when they least expect it :3 killing that way is always the most satisfying for me.

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
They don't have very many differences, so I guess it doesn't really matter who you pick, but I believe that the control, accuracy, versatility, and consistency that you get with Pit's arrows alone is enough to make him better than Dark Pit. Being able to hit more arrows over the course of one match will most likely net you more damage than the small damage buff that Dark Pit's arrows have, but it isn't just about the damage; that slight knockback makes them a better gimping tool too, in my opinion.

As for the other changes, Upperdash vs Electroshock is a matter of personal preference, I believe. Upperdash arm has more consistency when it comes to killing, while Electroshock relies a bit more on stage positioning and is a bit more risk/reward option. Also, Pit's f-tilt has more knockback than Dark Pit's, which makes it better for kill-power, something that the boys are sort of lacking in. But yeah, I just believe Pit's arrows are way too good to pass up.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Been maining dark pit but now I'd like to try light pit also. My main thing is that I've gotten so used to electroshock which is why I preferred dark pit in the first place but based on what y'all have said pit has more ko power and I really need that. I can rack up the damage but have trouble finishing it up.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Pittoo's 'nerfs' are kinda cool. I find Electroshock is much more useful overall, because it gets opponents off stage. It can be more central to his game than just mainly for KOs and is more rewarding at lower percents.

F-tilt can push enemies off the edge into an awkward position where you can run off and attack. After the 60s up to late percents, it actually launches low enough that it forces opponents to tech, they can't jump or air-dodge before hitting the ground. And techs are punishable (more than rolls).

The arrows though... They're just alright. The damage adds up at least.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Pits arrows with electroshock arm would be a good combination.
Upperdash kills more consistently than electroshock though which kills pretty much just as early as pits forward tilt.
Also why did an upoerdash arm kill GANONDORF at just a little over 120% on the wii u version 0.o

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
The Electroshock does kinda suck at KOing, but I think it's more useful overall because its knockback is more advantageous as it leads off-stage.

If Ganon got hit during a smash attack, that could explain it. But I know the blast zones are different on the Wii U, too, though I doubt it's that in this case.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
The Electroshock does kinda suck at KOing, but I think it's more useful overall because its knockback is more advantageous as it leads off-stage.

If Ganon got hit during a smash attack, that could explain it. But I know the blast zones are different on the Wii U, too, though I doubt it's that in this case.
Ganondorf was using a fair...

Also yeah I guess getting people offstage is really good for pit/dark, against most other characters they are pretty good in the air especially offstage, bair, fair and dair all kill really early offstage

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
There is no reason to use DP in the competitive scene as he and Pit play exactly the same and the same style. Its just that Pit does it a whole lot better.

Only reason to use a clone that's worse than the original is due to liking the character in this case liking edgy,emo tryhards(Dark Pit).

He's so edgy if you touch him you might hurt yourself.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I prefer Pit conceptually, though I find his arrows more rewarding and his arm more useful overall.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pits arrows with electroshock arm would be a good combination.
Upperdash kills more consistently than electroshock though which kills pretty much just as early as pits forward tilt.
Also why did an upoerdash arm kill GANONDORF at just a little over 120% on the wii u version 0.o
Probably bad DI. And the Wii U version's blastzones result in the Upperdash KOing 10% quicker from my experience.

There is no reason to use DP in the competitive scene as he and Pit play exactly the same and the same style. Its just that Pit does it a whole lot better.

Only reason to use a clone that's worse than the original is due to liking the character in this case liking edgy,emo tryhards(Dark Pit).

He's so edgy if you touch him you might hurt yourself.
Well, the Electroshock is very rewarding to use offstage, unlike Pit's Arm which is basically just 9%.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Can the electroshock arm kill offstage? if so how early?

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I dunno, I don't think it can KO gimp at all honestly. Testing against Pit, it doesn't even KO off-stage at 120% while he's close to the off-screen area, since the aerial version is so much weaker. It can, however, do some gimping by using it to stage spike as they recover. Side-B grabs the ledge even if you ram slightly under it from a distance, so it can catch a lot of recoveries if you time it right.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I dunno, I don't think it can KO gimp at all honestly. Testing against Pit, it doesn't even KO off-stage at 120% while he's close to the off-screen area, since the aerial version is so much weaker. It can, however, do some gimping by using it to stage spike as they recover. Side-B grabs the ledge even if you ram slightly under it from a distance, so it can catch a lot of recoveries if you time it right.
Uh, there's a reason it's not all that effective against Pit... It's much more useful against characters with worse recoveries.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Uh, there's a reason it's not all that effective against Pit... It's much more useful against characters with worse recoveries.
Just saying it usually doesn't KO much earlier than on the ground. Seems 120-130% is the practical KO range for off-stage, about the same as hitting someone near the edge on the ground.

And I kind of disagree with Fox though, Electroshock launches pretty high up, so Fox can cover the distance back with side-B and up-B combined. Definitely gimps Little Mac and some others, but I think F-air or B-air are better for their lower launch trajectories. But that said, if you can force Fox to use his up-B, an Electroshock intercepting him towards the stage will easily stage spike him and generally gimp.

MJN Pilot

Smash Cadet
NNID
SSB-Pilot
3DS FC
4184-4408-1292
You guys are ignoring the primary issue here! Dark Pit doesn't have a fabulous full pink pallet swap!

I honestly think it's up to personal preference really, they are very similar, close enough so that one isn't better than the other.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
You guys are ignoring the primary issue here! Dark Pit doesn't have a fabulous full pink pallet swap!

I honestly think it's up to personal preference really, they are very similar, close enough so that one isn't better than the other.
You really notice it when your opponent is at 120% and you need to get that kill. Pit's Upperdash Arm and FTilt really help in that (very common) situation - not so much FTilt but it drives me insane when I Electroshock someone and they live at like 150%.

GTL WhiteBlur

Smash Rookie
NNID
GreenTeamLeader
I've actually seen Dark Pit in tournament videos more than normal Pit. And (Even though it's not trustworthy) EventHubs' tier list has Dark Pit slightly higher than Pit.
I know that Dark Pit has his differences, like Electroshock Arm that sends opponents more horizontal, but how is he really any better than normal Pit? I don't see many differences other than that.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
  • Dark Pit's Silver Bow arrows deal 2% more damage than Pit's Palutena's Arrows at full charge.
  • Dark Pit's Silver Bow also has slightly more knockback than Pit's Palutena's Arrow.
  • However, It is slightly slower.
    • Dark Pit's arrows have less range and cannot be guided as dynamically as Pit's.
  • Electroshock Arm deals strong horizontal knockback which KO's sooner than Pit's Upperdash Arm if hitting foes off the side blast zones of the stage. It also does 0.5% more damage.
    • However, it has less vertical KO power..
  • Forward tilt deals less knockback.
^ From SmashWiki. I guess you can decide off of that.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
They're about equal as far as I've seen. It's more a matter of preference. Pink Fresh in tourneys at @Xanadu Games uses Pit exclusively over Dark and he's one of the best. I still prefer dark pit tho - dat Lectroshock ;)

Saimunn93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Saimunn93
:4pit:> :4darkpit:, but they're practically interchangeable (in my opinion).

Differences:
-> Arrows
-> Arm equipment
-> F-tilt
(-> Final Smash)
(-> Taunts)
(-> Palette colours)

Arrows:
:4pit:'s bend wholly, while :4darkpit:'s merely angle marginally (for those initiated; :4darkpit:'s arrows bend the way :4pit:'s arrows do in Brawl when their trajectory is adjusted by C-stick tilting).

The damage is also different (I'd promptly refer you to other sticky posts here on the Pit boards to retrieve all the percentages): while uncharged, the discrepancy is scarcely perceivable, but when fully charged you'll notice that:4darkpit: has significantly stronger arrows.

In my opinion:
:4pit:'s arrows are invaluable for as far as gimping is concerned. If you are opposing characters that have a lousy recovery move and solely 1 jump, one single arrow can get you a stock at literally any percentage. Too gud ;3 Also, the damage that accumulates from singularly weaker arrows is higher, eventually, than the fewer ones you'll manage to land with :4darkpit:'s arrows every now and then.

Winner: :4pit:

WORTHY OF MENTIONING THOUGH:
Nothing beats the rambunctious sound of :4darkpit:launching an arrow.. It sounds like some heavy ballista launching a volley of obsidian-edged arrows o.o.o

Arms:
:4pit: uppercuts with force, while:4darkpit: hammer fists with lightning infusion.

:4pit:'s arm equipment seems to be more favourable against lightweights. One of the main reasons the latest (officious) Japanese Tier List elevated:4pit: above:4darkpit: is because the Upperdash Arm kills higher tier lightweight characters (LIKE BLOODY:4diddy:,:4sheik: AND:rosalina:) more reliably (in addition to the arrow gimping). :4sheik:, for instance, dies as soon as he hits 105% (or barely even that percentage) when struck by the arm, anywhere on an Omega stage (below the 105% threshold DI'ing will play a paramount role).

:4darkpit:'s arm is more favourable against characters that have poor recovery options and a single additional jump. Against :4ness: it's a solid move to get him off-stage, and force him to recover with his up-B, thus allowing the Pit player to exhibit some classy Orbitar-gimping :D

This latter option is a bit situational though. Also, to kill people with the Electroshock Arm, the positioning of the opponent plays a crucial role (imperative of it to be at either side of the stage, not in the centre), while :4pit:'s arm will universally kill at a certain percentage.

Winner::4pit:

F-tilt:
F-tilt is nigh on identical, and the only difference is the knockback on the move.:4pit:'s sweetspotted, 10%-hit F-tilt will kill reliably when positioned at either ledge, while:4darkpit:'s won't.

(Evident) winner::4pit:

(Final Smash):
Who plays with items on anyway.. Anyway :4pit: wins because he goes superunicorncakeomegasaucedivineYGOGodCardSLIFERTHESKYDRAGONcyborg-mode, and absolutely berserk.

(Taunts):
:4darkpit: Wins; he's got some serious sass

(Palette colours):
Turquoise + Lavender winged :4pit: all the way. Purple:4darkpit: is neat too

Winner:
Uncontested

------------------------------------------------------

Bottom-line:
A:4pit: player is a :4darkpit: player, it's just that, deviating from the default :4pit: selection, I typically resort to :4darkpit: whenever I find his Electroshock to-the-side punch useful against some characters. Otherwise, :4pit: has more, gimp-, troll-, and kill power. Essentially however, you'll still find that what composes the core of either character's gameplay (grabbing, jabbing, aerials and tilting) is, similar and even identical if it weren't for F-tilt. I typically do not use arm equipment to kill either, but instead opt for an F-throw / F-smash / F-tilt / off-stage F-air gimp / off-stage B-air kill anyway. Then again, I really favour the OG angel for his arrow flexibility though; this has netted me some early stocks xD

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Yesterday I chose Dark Pit as I usually since both are nearly identical, but then I landed an FTilt

why this move. and why nothing to compensate?

Saimunn93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Saimunn93
You realize Electroshock vs Luma is basically a OHKO, right? I haven't fought a single one since the update, so I don't know if it's worth taking the inevitable hit afterward though.
A one-hit KO on Luma with the Electroshock Arm does not redeem;
  • First and foremost, the arguably quick kill with the Uppderdash Arm that entails the partial super armor AND reach to strike both Luma AND Rosalina to net an early (110%) kill (or sooner with poor adversarial DI'ing).
  • Secondly, the impending punish that follows afterwards (this is indeed inevitable if Rosalina herself is not struck simultaneously by the Electroshock Arm)
  • The staling of the move; I usually abstain from using the Arm equipment too often because I prefer to preserve it for 1) the element of surprise and 2) the undiluted knockback. Using it to get rid of Luma, at the expense of having one of your major knock-out options being disabled, is therefore a costly enterprise.
  • Lastly, the predictability of the move. Using the Arm equipment even moderately (let alone intensely) to only lunge Luma off-stage, will incur countless punishes. The move is slow in every thinkable way (frame initiation, execution, post-execution lag), and should thus be used scarcely (and, to emphasise once again, it is also a designated kill move, so to prevent its knockback power from diluting, you should use it sparingly anyway)
Yesterday I chose Dark Pit as I usually since both are nearly identical, but then I landed an FTilt

why this move. and why nothing to compensate?
I would almost profess that the F-tilt knockback is a configuration / programming error by the developers.. Like you said yourself; why is there no compensatory asset, why did it have to be (solely the knockback of) F-tilt, and was it necessary to impose detrimental effects onto a move of :4darkpit: considering the rest of the moveset?

Unlike Electroshock Arm is that superior to Upperdash Arm that a nerfed F-tilt knockback would be justifiable lol.. On the contrary, the Uppderdash Arm is, in my opinion, evidently superior to Electroshock Arm (see aforementioned).

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Pits arrows are so much more versatile than Dark pits and thats the main reason I use him (Also because the silverbows arrows are NOT meant to be purple it just doesnt seem right). Ive actually got so many kills with pits arrows by gimping people. Best part though is when youve knocked them really far from the edge and they think they are safe and you send out a fully charged arrow and snipe them into the blast zone when they least expect it :3 killing that way is always the most satisfying for me.
As someone who spent hours mastering the arrow-looping technique in Brawl and P:M, I approve this message.

GrayFox8983

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrayFox8983
Arrow play can actually prove to be more consistent with Pit, cause he can angle his arrows at a better rate, and trajectory. I've seen Jtails, man's a beast at playing with Pit's arrows. Dark Pit cause I always found that the new comers are always slightly better than the vets. I think Pit is better in this game than in brawl. But Dark Pit is like Lucina, easy to pick up and play without having too great of a learning curve. Super armor for the side b can attest to making it easier to score hits with dark pit as well. He's just easier to use, imo.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Pit is the superior choice.

Pits arrows are better cause they curve and snipe people.

Pits Upperdash arm kills way sooner. Tried it on bowser with both. Bowser at 150% in the middle of final destination. Dash killed instantly while electro arm didn't kill till like 190%-200%. Tried it with bowser near the ledge of final destination at 150%. Upperdash killed bowser and electro arm failed to kill again even when near the ledge. Upperdash Arm is the winner.

Pits side tilts kills way faster.

Ya Datk pit is inferior. Why even use him?

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Pit is the superior choice.

Pits arrows are better cause they curve and snipe people.

Pits Upperdash arm kills way sooner. Tried it on bowser with both. Bowser at 150% in the middle of final destination. Dash killed instantly while electro arm didn't kill till like 190%-200%. Tried it with bowser near the ledge of final destination at 150%. Upperdash killed bowser and electro arm failed to kill again even when near the ledge. Upperdash Arm is the winner.

Pits side tilts kills way faster.

Ya Datk pit is inferior. Why even use him?
It sounds like his balls have dropped? Unlike his non dark version? ;l

I'll take a less whiney sounding Pit any day.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
pit is slightly better. Its those versatile arrows. maybe if dark pit had less end lag after firing kind of like toon link can fire off arrows faster than link, his arrows would be more useful, but as of now they're just not as good as pits.

Of course he does have his electroshock arm which is definitely better at KOing (least IMO) than Pit's uppderdash arm.

other than those though they're so similar that it really is more a matter of preference from what I've seen.

Shog

Smash Ace
Cringeworthy voice and better costume > not hetero eyelashes and undeserved spot

Also Pit has better moves like the arrows and his Side B kills a bit earlier

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Salt spices food > ow the edge pit

And I honestly don't get the grass green part...care to explain, despite bashing african american pit?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Salt spices food > ow the edge pit

And I honestly don't get the grass green part...care to explain, despite bashing african american pit?
You basically stated the obvious, not to mention members above already pointed it out. Like bruh you trying to be an echo for them?

4/10 in trying to be funny tho, black pit jokes were done to death when the 3ds Smash was released in Japan. Gotta keep jokes fresh or else they go stale like the 'feeling it' jokes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom