• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Besides the Final Smash what differnces does Kark Pit have? I know there's the Elctroshock arm instead of the uperdash but how areit's properties different for example?

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
As I understand, he has less launching power than Pit, but he does more damage. I've also heard he's slower, but I don't know about that one.

From my own observations, it looks like his Power of Flight gets more distance, but doesn't curve as well, but I could be wrong on that. His Silver Bow is the same way, it's stronger, but it's harder to control.

Anyone with the Japanese game have a legit answer?

kro_

Smash Apprentice
His dair is faster, so I'm guessing all of his air attacks are faster. Seems logical, as he can fly, but not Pit in Uprising.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dark Pit has sweet spots, on almost all of his attacks and they give additional knockback and damage if they all connect. D-tilt and down air can spike on sweet spot.
So he's Marth?

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Seems logical, as he can fly, but not Pit in Uprising.
No he can't. Without goddess power his wings are just as useless as the original's. What makes sense is having more power behind his attacks... he's Pit's shadow, less restrained.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
No he can't. Without goddess power his wings are just as useless as the original's. What makes sense is having more power behind his attacks... he's Pit's shadow, less restrained.
I didn't say he can't fly by himself, but he CAN fly in his game, and for much longer periods of time than Pit. Don't worry, I've played the game, too.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Darkpit lost his '' own '' power of flight after lost Pandora in the reconspring. Pandora excist now as Amazon Pandora.

In the end in the game you can see that Darkpit can fly because of Viridi. She controls his flight. Darkpits wings shines green. In the chapter with the lightning chariot, she also controlled Pits flight. Darkpit can't decide where he flies. ^^

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
We have factual evidence that the two are the same besides their Nspecial, Sspecial, and customs of each.
what

b-b-but why

sakurai I thought you were smarter than this just tweak a few numbers at least to make him play sort of differently

Seriously, it's not that hard, especially compared to making new animations. The custom equipment (which will be mostly unusable for 99% of us because of both random online multiplayer and tournaments banning it) proves that it's as simple as merely adding and subtracting. Why couldn't he have done that when actually programming the game?

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Wait, the Silver Bow is more powerful?
I'm pretty sure that the idol says that the Silver Bow is the prototype of the Palutena Bow.

Majora999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Majora999
Wait, the Silver Bow is more powerful?
I'm pretty sure that the idol says that the Silver Bow is the prototype of the Palutena Bow.
And Olimar's a couple centimeters tall, neither of these facts affect gameplay.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
It's less the moves that matter, and more the fact that Dark Pit is, like, way cooler.

Jokes aside, I plan on playing him a lot.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So we gotta figure out wether it's a Melee Fox/Falco situation where there's only one obvious difference (blaster/arm) but the less noticeable dfferences add up to a totally different play style; or a Melee Mario/Dr Mario situation where one ends up simply being better than the other.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So we gotta figure out wether it's a Melee Fox/Falco situation where there's only one obvious difference (blaster/arm) but the less noticeable dfferences add up to a totally different play style; or a Melee Mario/Dr Mario situation where one ends up simply being better than the other.
I don't think Dr. Mario was considered better purely for his differences, but rather his better
matchups with the space animals (I guess semi-spike Bair wrecks their recovery).

Other than that, it definitely seems to be a Mario/Dr. Mario situation, as (purely speculation based on
what little I've heard, so very little evidence) Pit is a tad faster with slightly better recovery (slower fall speed)
and Dark Pit is a tad less mobile but with more power.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The sooner someone makes a comparison video the sooner the confusion is lifted.

Things like how long does it take for them to run from one side of Final Destination to the other and how long it takes them to hit the ground when falling from the top of battlefield.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So a magic mirror clone is less different from his original than a plumber putting on a lab coat? I hope the high level gameplay shows their strengths.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So a magic mirror clone is less different from his original than a plumber putting on a lab coat? I hope the high level gameplay shows their strengths.
There's only one answer: Doctor Mario is actually from a different dimension.
His Melee trophy states that he gets less exercise than Mario, so I don't think it's the
same Mario just switching jobs.

That's the only explanation that I can think of that trumps magic mirror differences. Although...
It's possible that when Dark Pit came out of the mirror, he WAS an exact match of Pit.
Only after spending some time outside and honing his skills did he start differing slightly.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Up tilt is different. Pit strikes two times while Dark Pit does not I guess.
Side Smash is different too. Dark Pit's second hit is downward while regular Pit is upward.
Other than this, seems like Dark Pit uses his right hand before the left hand while Pit does the oposite. He seems to be mirrored. But it may be wrong, it's just one impression I had...
I could only see this. The differeces are few, and really light. It's just about the direction of the hits...

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think Dr. Mario was considered better purely for his differences, but rather his better
matchups with the space animals (I guess semi-spike Bair wrecks their recovery).
Melee Doc does better vs spacies mostly because D-smash kills waaaaay earlier and is very simple to combo into. And his Cape's huge vertical hitbox is better for edgeguarding them.

Doc's B-air gimps really only help him against Ganondorf and Samus, who Mario in contrast does struggle very noticeably against. Doesn't really help him in any other matchups a huge amount compared to Mario's B-air, which does just fine edgeguarding and gimping plenty of characters. Mario does do slightly better against Sheik and Marth and most of the mid/low tier cast (actually, he kinda autowins vs some low tiers due to better chaingrabs than Doc), but obviously that's far less important than being better vs space animals.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
what

b-b-but why

sakurai I thought you were smarter than this just tweak a few numbers at least to make him play sort of differently

Seriously, it's not that hard, especially compared to making new animations. The custom equipment (which will be mostly unusable for 99% of us because of both random online multiplayer and tournaments banning it) proves that it's as simple as merely adding and subtracting. Why couldn't he have done that when actually programming the game?
Actually balancing these changes is much more work then that. Me, I'm fine with it since one of the biggest aspects of Pit, his arrows, are completely different between the two.

Up tilt is different. Pit strikes two times while Dark Pit does not I guess.
Side Smash is different too. Dark Pit's second hit is downward while regular Pit is upward.
Other than this, seems like Dark Pit uses his right hand before the left hand while Pit does the oposite. He seems to be mirrored. But it may be wrong, it's just one impression I had...
I could only see this. The differeces are few, and really light. It's just about the direction of the hits...
I'm not so sure about that.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Darkpit lost his '' own '' power of flight after lost Pandora in the reconspring. Pandora excist now as Amazon Pandora.

In the end in the game you can see that Darkpit can fly because of Viridi. She controls his flight. Darkpits wings shines green. In the chapter with the lightning chariot, she also controlled Pits flight. Darkpit can't decide where he flies. ^^
Also, Palutena can control Dark Pit's flight too. In the final chapter. Viridi controls Pit's flight after the Great Sacred Treasure is broken until slightly before Dark Pit's arrival, after which she appears to transfer it over to Palutena (since his wings change from glowing orange to blue). Interestingly enough, Dark Pit flies in with blue glowing wings too... so apparently Palutena can control two different angel's flight paths simultaneously.

Also, a peculiar moment is just before Palutena resumes control over Pit in the ending sequence. Pit's wings just stop glowing and he floats in the sky for a short while before Palutena takes over. Maybe he's learning to fly on his own! (Probably not)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Also, Palutena can control Dark Pit's flight too. In the final chapter. Viridi controls Pit's flight after the Great Sacred Treasure is broken until slightly before Dark Pit's arrival, after which she appears to transfer it over to Palutena (since his wings change from glowing orange to blue). Interestingly enough, Dark Pit flies in with blue glowing wings too... so apparently Palutena can control two different angel's flight paths simultaneously.

Also, a peculiar moment is just before Palutena resumes control over Pit in the ending sequence. Pit's wings just stop glowing and he floats in the sky for a short while before Palutena takes over. Maybe he's learning to fly on his own! (Probably not)
Pretty sure it's Viridi controlling Pit's flight at the end.

Palutena charges the GST's gun while Viridi is using the Power of Flight on Pit. Hades is defeated and Pit is still flying with Viridi's power. In the epilogue, Dark Pit appears using Palutena's power (his wings glow blue, while Pit has a green glow on his wings all the time).

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945

"One is light, one is dark."

That's about it.

Last edited:

Ikitaimu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4167-4599-8507
So I had this same question, so I ran some tests, and these is what I've come up with.

DP's arrows have a shorter range, and their direction cannot be changed nearly as much as Pit's, but they have a higher max damage. Both arrows charge and travel at the same speed, have the same min damage, and have the same cooldown.
DP's flight goes higher than Pit's, by a good chunk. For both of them the direction can be controlled in the same way, with the same number of different directions possible.
While Pit's Upperdash Arm sends the opponent up, DP's Electroshock arm sends them about 45 degrees up and outwards. Their range and speed appear to be the same.
Pit travels faster than Dark Pit, in both walking and running time.

From what I've found, everything else is the same. The only other difference may be weight, but it's harder to test that when it's just me here. The damage, knockback, sweetspots, direction, timing, and number of hits for all other attacks are the same between the two characters.

The damage for them both is seriously the same, I think people want them to be different so much that they think they've found something when they haven't.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
So I had this same question, so I ran some tests, and these is what I've come up with.

DP's arrows have a shorter range, and their direction cannot be changed nearly as much as Pit's, but they have a higher max damage. Both arrows charge and travel at the same speed, have the same min damage, and have the same cooldown.
DP's flight goes higher than Pit's, by a good chunk. For both of them the direction can be controlled in the same way, with the same number of different directions possible.
While Pit's Upperdash Arm sends the opponent up, DP's Electroshock arm sends them about 45 degrees up and outwards. Their range and speed appear to be the same.
Pit travels faster than Dark Pit, in both walking and running time.

From what I've found, everything else is the same. The only other difference may be weight, but it's harder to test that when it's just me here. The damage, knockback, sweetspots, direction, timing, and number of hits for all other attacks are the same between the two characters.

The damage for them both is seriously the same, I think people want them to be different so much that they think they've found something when they haven't.
isn't DPit's nair better?

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I don´t play as dark pit. But I´ve met quite a few dark pit players, in for glory. ( They were terrible) But it seems that dark pit is a little slower, and stronger. His side-b is different than pits.

Dark pit mains, can correct me, if I´m wrong.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don´t play as dark pit. But I´ve met quite a few dark pit players, in for glory. ( They were terrible) But it seems that dark pit is a little slower, and stronger. His side-b is different than pits.

Dark pit mains, can correct me, if I´m wrong.
99% of their moves are exactly the same. Just their Fspecial, Sspecial, and Nair are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom