• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treveen

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit's attacks deal more damage so he racks up damage faster. he also isn's as floaty as Pit which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference. i Prefer Dark Pit because his falling speed makes him quicker imo

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Its just on personal preference, but on the forums you can see that they are different. Not too much but I would say pit. They are the same weight class and even though feels floaty, he isn't. ftilt worse knockback. Also dark pits electro arm kills early, but it is stage dependent. It will kill around 120 I believe if at the edge of the stage. Pits is a consistent 140ish. So Pits is more viable cuz the position of where you are doesn't really matter.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
I really want to like Dark Pit because he's so much cooler, and I like his color scheme better, but I just love Palutena's bow and upperdash too much.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
THAT IS TOTALLY ME! I loved dark pit and I wanted him to be my main, but because pit is a better character I chose him. BUT I AM DARK PIT AT HEART!!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Depends on how well people use those characters. The way I see it, they're both equal in every way.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Probably the big difference is that Dark Pit has a much better time KO-ing near the edges of the stage mostly thanks to Electroshock and how some of Pit's other moves also KO on the edge (mostly fthrow and bair and maybe fair for a gimp).

I'd personally rate DP higher than Pit due to this. Pit's Upperdash does KO but I find the percentages aren't as low as DP Electroshocking near an edge. But I think in the end the summary of "Think Pit but with less range but more KO power at the edge" is really all that's needed.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Sadly Dark pit isn't really much more then a alt costume for Pit, sure they have slightly different knockback and range but come on..... liked to have seen different movesets

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Given the best uses of the side+Bs, which are mainly catching landings and punishing reckless approaches, I find the ability to KO from anywhere on the stage more useful than being able to KO a bit earlier from the side. I mean, upper dash's KO range is not even all that late, I believe around 140% for average weight characters. And Pit has fthrow to kill from the edge anyway.

The real benefit of Electroshock is that you can use it offstage to gimp, but that's super risky.

Better to just fire arrows, which Pit has the advantage of too since he can guide them, or chase with fair or dair which is identical for both.

Sadly Dark pit isn't really much more then a alt costume for Pit, sure they have slightly different knockback and range but come on..... liked to have seen different movesets
Agreed, I've always thought as it was he may as well have just been an alternate costume like Female vs. Male WFT, and electroshock and silver bow should have been custom specials. They really could have done more to differentiate them, for example he could have been slower but stronger like Dr. Mario, or perhaps his aerials could have had different properties, or SOMETHING. As I've said before, I wish I could main DP but I really find Pit to be the better of the two.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
This really just depends. I don't like pit's arrows. Dark pit has faster arrows, which can pester opponents from further away which is what I want from my arrows. The range game feels stronger than pit's, if only because of this. Both are just as easily airdodged, and damaging, but range and rate of applicable pressure vary between the two. I like the range afforded by dark pit, so I prefer pittoo.

And who else loves chaining electroshock to electroshock? So cool to see and do.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Actually, DP's arrows are slower and have less range. You can test the range for yourself in training mode. Put Shulk as your opponent and go onto Jungle Japes. From the starting position, do a roll to the right and then gently press right to turn around. Tap B to shoot an arrow at min charge. Pit's arrow will hit Shulk, but DP's will fall short.

Which is not to say that nobody will or should prefer DP's arrows, different people have different playstyles and that's fine. And when fully charged, DP's arrows still go more than far enough.

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
... slower? That, I think, is debatable. I could have sworn that his arrows were faster than pit's but I'll check on this. But I still think dark pit's arrows fly faster.

However, I am not sure about range so you may be right. But, I do not like your source. The wiki says a lot of things which I do not trust and do not believe. I will, however, test this stuff out for myself. But based on what I have done in the past, My experiences are as formerly posted, though potentially erroneous.

Edit: ok. I'm on training mode and the arrows travel at the same speed. Pit's does have higher range though. But pit has more lag when firing, so dark pit can spam arrows faster.as for the applications, you all can understand this yourselves. On that note, this only applies to firing arrows in rapid succession. Pit and dark pit have the same animation and lag, but if you spamneutral b, dark pit has a higher firing rate. Probably because pit ccan't fire until his arrow disappears.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think Dark Pit's Ftilt being weaker with no compensation elsewhere in his moveset kind of seals the deal in making him the worse Pit. Both characters have a tricky time killing, but with Pit you can kind of fall back on Ftilt at high percents because it has great range and decent power. Dark Pit doesn't really have that option. He can sort of set up edgeugards with his Side B (I say sort of because I think it knocks them too high to set up edgeguards effectively) in the same way but that's way less safe than Ftilt and he loses a vertical kill option, as well.

Ultimately though both characters are so similar that I can't see them being anywhere but right next to each other on a tier list, no matter which one you think is better. Dark Pit's more damaging arrows could make him the better Pit, if anything, because they can allow him to outdamage people in camping wars more easily than Pit without resorting to the effective-but-punishable Down B reflector.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I think I am more confused but at least have more to look at LOL
What is confusing to you? I'm sure people here would be happy to explain some things.

EDit: and I have thoughts on their side b's.

Pits hits opponents more vertically, so it can kill better on stages wi th lower ceilings or against floatier characters, but sends opponents straight up so that they aren't in a necessarily bad position if they survive.

dark pits hit diagonally, tosend opponents over the ledge to set up an edgeguard, ledge trump, arrow spam, etc situation. (This only works at low percents or on unsuspecting victims but you can also chain side b into side b). The diagonal angle helps against characters who fall fast and have poor aerial mobility and cant recover as well (like little mac, mario, doc, megaman, falcon, etc). Not only that, dakr pit's side b does 2 more percent. Might not be that much, but sometimes, just one percent can be the difference between a kill or not.

Also, when used in the air, since both are weaker when in the sky, pit's side b will not be killing unless you were really high to begin with, or percents were that high. Pit's also provides little in terms of knocking opponents away for stage control. dark pits still sends opponents away a good distance evn at lower percents. Besides, how often do we hit those aerial side b's. Not often.

Last edited:

ProfeLoco

Smash Cadet
What is confusing to you? I'm sure people here would be happy to explain some things.

EDit: and I have thoughts on their side b's.

Pits hits opponents more vertically, so it can kill better on stages wi th lower ceilings or against floatier characters, but sends opponents straight up so that they aren't in a necessarily bad position if they survive.

dark pits hit diagonally, tosend opponents over the ledge to set up an edgeguard, ledge trump, arrow spam, etc situation. (This only works at low percents or on unsuspecting victims but you can also chain side b into side b). The diagonal angle helps against characters who fall fast and have poor aerial mobility and cant recover as well (like little mac, mario, doc, megaman, falcon, etc). Not only that, dakr pit's side b does 2 more percent. Might not be that much, but sometimes, just one percent can be the difference between a kill or not.

Also, when used in the air, since both are weaker when in the sky, pit's side b will not be killing unless you were really high to begin with, or percents were that high. Pit's also provides little in terms of knocking opponents away for stage control. dark pits still sends opponents away a good distance evn at lower percents. Besides, how often do we hit those aerial side b's. Not often.
Thank you for the summary, that was helpful. I guess I have to figure out which one is better for my playing style. I am new to this , so the confusion comes in because I am not sure what style I prefer yet. I find that Dark Pit is more forgiving for me still learning, but think that Pit might be ultimately better in the long run.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
dark pits hit diagonally, tosend opponents over the ledge to set up an edgeguard, ledge trump, arrow spam, etc situation.
I actually don't feel like the Electroshock Arm really gives you much room to edge guard. Since it knocks opponents in an upwards angle, it makes them harder to reach by jumping and makes it easier to recover. If it sent them horizontally, though, I'd agree, but sadly it doesn't.

45 degrees is just not an ideal angle in this game.
Pit's also provides little in terms of knocking opponents away for stage control.
But it puts Pit in an awesome position to juggle.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I actually don't feel like the Electroshock Arm really gives you much room to edge guard. Since it knocks opponents in an upwards angle, it makes them harder to reach by jumping and makes it easier to recover. If it sent them horizontally, though, I'd agree, but sadly it doesn't.

45 degrees is just not an ideal angle in this game.But it puts Pit in an awesome position to juggle.

I would be inclined to agree with you if this were any other smash game. However, in smash4, edge guards now involve everything past the ledge, high or low. As long as they are over the ledge, we can make something out of it. I believer electroshcok puts us in a better position than upperdash.

. And even if pit's can set up a juggles, how well do you think you can juggle a half decent player? They either understand to air dodge or move to the ledge.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
I would be inclined to agree with you if this were any other smash game. However, in smash4, edge guards now involve everything past the ledge, high or low. As long as they are over the ledge, we can make something out of it. I believer electroshcok puts us in a better position than upperdash.

. And even if pit's can set up a juggles, how well do you think you can juggle a half decent player? They either understand to air dodge or move to the ledge.
Frankly, I see the benefits of each side+B. Pit's sets opponents up for juggling, DP's sets opponents up for getting hit with an offstage fair. Pit's kills at a slightly higher percentage from anywhere on the stage, DP's kills from slightly lower percents from the edge of the stage. I will say it's a bit odd to me how you put your faith in the player in the situation where the opponent is offstage but not where the opponent is above the stage. Can't the opponent air dodge or go for the ledge either way...? Not to mention, it's not too difficult to pick up on someone's air dodging habits.

Personally I tend to prefer upperdash's consistency, but that's just due to my own playstyle and the ways I tend to use the move.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
If customs are unlocked for online mode:

Would you play Darkpit more than before ???? ( For example because of controllable arrows )

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
But the Arms also depends on the match ups. I just faced parcheesy the other day( An AMAZING Rosalina and luma player) . I just feel that you should lean towards using dark pit in this match up. I normally go all pit, but with rosalina you have to go dark pit. Rosalina is not as strong of a character if you don't have luma around. Electro arm sends luma tumbling down the stage. And Rosalina can't call luma when its tumbling off the stage. Also pits arrows does like NOTHING to Rosalina due to her gravitational pull. And also with upper dash arm, when you send rosalina up, that pretty much gives her a free chance to do something on you. Like her doing a fast falling fair or down tilt, or maybe fast fall nair so luma can hit you up. I just feel that you have a "easier" time using dark pit over pit. But then again the match up is incredibly hard. So I guess its up to you guys, but I feel that dark pit is better for this match up. Also foward tilt for pit is better, but for this MU its not going to do that much. I mean its good for poking luma, but after you do it once, you might not get to do it again. All depends on how the opponent reacts to you.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
With customs Dark Pit and Pit are almost exactly equal. I prefer Pit as a character though.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Arms:
:4pit: uppercuts with force, while:4darkpit: hammer fists with lightning infusion.

:4pit:'s arm equipment seems to be more favourable against lightweights. One of the main reasons the latest (officious) Japanese Tier List elevated:4pit: above:4darkpit: is because the Upperdash Arm kills higher tier lightweight characters (LIKE BLOODY:4diddy:,:4sheik: AND:rosalina:) more reliably (in addition to the arrow gimping). :4sheik:, for instance, dies as soon as he hits 105% (or barely even that percentage) when struck by the arm, anywhere on an Omega stage (below the 105% threshold DI'ing will play a paramount role).

:4darkpit:'s arm is more favourable against characters that have poor recovery options and a single additional jump. Against :4ness: it's a solid move to get him off-stage, and force him to recover with his up-B, thus allowing the Pit player to exhibit some classy Orbitar-gimping :D

This latter option is a bit situational though. Also, to kill people with the Electroshock Arm, the positioning of the opponent plays a crucial role (imperative of it to be at either side of the stage, not in the centre), while :4pit:'s arm will universally kill at a certain percentage.

Winner::4pit:
D
There is no winner in the arms. Its all a matter of preference and MU based. Eg D,Ps Side b kills earlier at ledge. Pits kills anywere on stage from a percent + but its much higher then D.ps from ledge. A player might like to get their opponent offstage and edge gaurd them rather them being above. So There is no winner there at all.

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
I heard they're pretty much the same, but Pit's Upperdash sends foes straight up and his arrows are slightly better. Plus, I just like him because Uprising :) Really wanna main him, so I'm gonna practice a lot on For Glory online.

Taokaka

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ValooDX
3DS FC
2758-4249-4296
Pit cause of those arrows gimping off stage skill :p

Last edited:

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Pit's Arrows to me are enough to make me want to play him over anyone else. Its edgeguarding and quick damage rack-up off-stage is really great and the fact that it gives you versatility to hit anywhere on the stage. Side B is personal taste on what kind of kills you want, but considering Pit has a hard time KOing with not much preference for vertical or horizontal kills, but it's probably safest to have a vertical kill just because floaty characters can't recover from that.

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
I don't know which forum this belongs to, but there seems to be more activity here and both characters are basically the same so
I want to main Edgy Pit, but Pit seems to be almost better entirely. The differences are minimal, but it seems that Pit has the advantage between the two.

FSpecial is better near EDGEs (is this intentional) which I like since I don't like using Upperdash Arm near the middle of the stage, but FTilt no longer being a good (or rather decent) kill move is a turn-off

The bow is also a pain to hit with when using Edgy Pit, since the whole great thing about Pit's arrows is how flexible they are. When you take that away, you get a predictable projectile. It's almost useless in my eyes. The only use it seems to have is EDGEguarding, but Pit's would probably still be better only because, again, they are so flexible.

tl;dr should I just main Pit instead of Dark Pit?

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I never use ftilt to kill as Pit anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, you can instead focus more on Fthrow, Fsmash, or side special.

Electroshock's usefulness is different but I definitely don't think it's any less useful in its own way.

The bow is the thing that keeps me from maining DP, tbh. If customs are on then DP can use guiding bow though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not particularly. We do have the prospect of patches in the future though... Not sure how likely we are to get any changes though, since he hasn't gotten any yet.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Honestly, I never use ftilt to kill as Pit anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, you can instead focus more on Fthrow, Fsmash, or side special.

Electroshock's usefulness is different but I definitely don't think it's any less useful in its own way.

The bow is the thing that keeps me from maining DP, tbh. If customs are on then DP can use guiding bow though.
I could be wrong but I think electroshock arm has more shield damage

The problem with Dark Pit's guiding arrow is that it doesn't last as long as Pit's. But overall I believe that It should be the custom every DP (heh shoryuken) should use

You are right about f-tilt as it should be exclusively used for spacing

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
This probably has been discussed to death, but in all honesty it just comes down to your playstyle and which one fits you better. It is generally accepted that Pit has better tools, but even those are situational (Upperdash vs Electroshock arm). A good example is how Nairo has a preference for Dark Pit -- you'll notice he doesn't really focus on his arrow game and uses them more for aerial/offstage annoyance than trying to gimp with them like you can with Pit.

But (I don't know if anyone will argue with me here) when you main one of the two, the other one instantly becomes a secondary because you really only have to make two adjustments to your mental strategy. Consider if you are a Pit main facing an MU that often KOs off the ceiling; Dark Pit might be worth considering as a counterpick so you can pick a stage with a high ceiling and don't have to worry about nerfing your side-b kill potential. Just know that your arrows are a different style of projectile, and the side-b kills off the sides, and you've got almost all the differences accounted for.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
This probably has been discussed to death, but in all honesty it just comes down to your playstyle and which one fits you better. It is generally accepted that Pit has better tools, but even those are situational (Upperdash vs Electroshock arm). A good example is how Nairo has a preference for Dark Pit -- you'll notice he doesn't really focus on his arrow game and uses them more for aerial/offstage annoyance than trying to gimp with them like you can with Pit.

But (I don't know if anyone will argue with me here) when you main one of the two, the other one instantly becomes a secondary because you really only have to make two adjustments to your mental strategy. Consider if you are a Pit main facing an MU that often KOs off the ceiling; Dark Pit might be worth considering as a counterpick so you can pick a stage with a high ceiling and don't have to worry about nerfing your side-b kill potential. Just know that your arrows are a different style of projectile, and the side-b kills off the sides, and you've got almost all the differences accounted for.
Never really thought about using DP and then counterpicking
That's actually pretty smart

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Now that we're on the topic, can someone explain to me details on why Electroshock supposedly isn't as good as Upperdash? I have been wondering which "Pit" I should put some work into. I've been leaning toward Dark Pit, but I am not quite sure.

Any help is appreciated. :b:

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Now that we're on the topic, can someone explain to me details on why Electroshock supposedly isn't as good as Upperdash? I have been wondering which "Pit" I should put some work into. I've been leaning toward Dark Pit, but I am not quite sure.

Any help is appreciated. :b:
Upperdash KOs independently of stage location. You don't have to wait for an opening on the edge of the stage to KO with it like you do with Electroshock. I also consider it better even if you aren't using for the KO, as it puts your opponent above you for a juggling situation, whereas Electroshock sends them diagonally off-stage and you have less options to follow up with (especially considering Dark Pit's lack of arrow mobility). Only real drawback is as mentioned before-- high ceilings mean you need a much higher percent in order to net the KO with Upperdash. Electroshock does more damage, but that should not be a decisive factor since side-b should never be your move of choice for racking up percentage.

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
One thing to note is that Electroshock has super armour (or so I thought?). It's a good tool against Falcon because it protects you from his dangerous spikes when coming back on stage. I learned the hard way in a tournament.. :c :4falcon:

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
One thing to note is that Electroshock has super armour (or so I thought?). It's a good tool against Falcon because it protects you from his dangerous spikes when coming back on stage. I learned the hard way in a tournament.. :c :4falcon:
Both side-specials have super armour, actually. Consider them payback for getting a spike that isn't the size of an ant. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom