• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, the tier list came out today

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This is based on the common sense of stacking up one characters stats against another. ness and lucas out range him, build damage better than him, are faster/as fast as him, recover better than him, and are more powerful than him. simple
I'm pretty sure it's due to the other match-ups against other characters. Mario still ***** Ness and Lucas pretty well.

gordon117

Smash Cadet
Brawl hasn't even been out for like 5 months and people think they can make an accurate tier list?

The proper list for Melee took a LONG time to make, this list doesn't mean anything imo. Bowser "mid tier" is what gives away this tier list as lame to me. If you can gimp anyone, its Bowser lol

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Read SamuraiPanda's blog about the SBR before BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW-ing about the tier list.

They're planning monthly updates instead of the yearly ones that they had for Melee.

Mush head

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Mario has plenty of reasons to be least mid tier and high tier at the max. However I don't think that ya'll see the big picture here. Where Mario is at right now on the list, he is the worst Mushroom Kingdom character on the list. I find that list to be very wrong about Mario. BTW, BO X7, I didn't know that you were on Smashboards... (well, maybe I kinda expected it... XD) Your Mario is amazing as well as the other mainers in your Mario combo Youtube vid. :mario:

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
The tier list is pretty decent IMHO but tier lists don't work as well in Brawl as they did in Melee since there are otherwise low-tier characters who perfectly counter certain characters from the top-tier. It's more like a big connect-the-dots or rock-paper-scissors game than a straight-up best-to-worst like Melee. knowhutimean?

Mush head

Smash Cadet
The tier list is pretty decent IMHO but tier lists don't work as well in Brawl as they did in Melee since there are otherwise low-tier characters who perfectly counter certain characters from the top-tier. It's more like a big connect-the-dots or rock-paper-scissors game than a straight-up best-to-worst like Melee. knowhutimean?
Yeah, now I'm just wondering why I'm making a big deal about the list for Brawl... If you're right, then MK could be taken down by a low tier like Link or Yoshi.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Just because certain low tier characters can be higher tier characters doesn't nessecarily mean that the higher tier characters will be taken down BY A TIER (well, maybe if they're borderline). Look at Fox from Melee for example. Bowser, if i remember right was a counter character against him. But it really didn't affect Fox's placement. The reason? It's because as many have said before that the reason the higher tier characters are in the higher tiers is mainly because their strengths outweigh their weaknesses. Now, that being said, I think some of the placements on the current list are probably wrong, but it is the first version official tier list for brawl.

Mush head

Smash Cadet
You might be right about that... I prefer Snake over MK because I just can't stand the caped speed freak... lol We might not be able to bring Mario to top tier, but we can get pretty dang close. >=) (At least I think that we can...)

Genos

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen, Mario won't go above mid tier simply because he gets ***** by a lot of top/high tier characters. Mid tier match ups are sort of neutral though.

Mush head

Smash Cadet
I know that. I would be surprised if he did make the bottom of high tier though... :) At best, Mario will most likely make.... upper mid tier I think...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Mario should have been at the very bottom of Mid-tier, in my opinion, but thats just me.

The mid and low tiers were just everywhere.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
And Mario got placed in the low tier.

Metaknight
Snake
King DDD
Mr G&W
Falco
ROB

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
DK
Diddy
Pikachu
IC
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zamus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Cptn. Falcon

Can't say that I didn't see this coming, but I expected him to be higher than Ness and Lucas because of how easy Mario gimps them with the cape.
Low tier is made up of only 3 characters, so if Mario can gimp those 3, he's better than the whole low tier.

Anyway, Im made too, but ''C'est la vie''

Also STOP SAYING MARIO CAN GIMP LUCAS.:bee:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with Mario fanpm Mario should be low-mid tier.
He probably will be by the end of the year once people like Ike and Bowser take a tumble (which they probably will). Even pros have agreed that Ike's game has basically been stagnant since like March and Bowser's tourney results just get more craptastic every month.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mind you, the tier list doesn't revolve around Mario. Bowser and Mario are currently to far apart on the list for Mario's abilities to effect Bowser's ranking.

Ness and Lucas, however...

Mush head

Smash Cadet
BS

Bowser is not better than Mario at all.
Super Mario 64 anyone? XD However, he can be pretty good. I had experience playing against this Bowser mainer and he isn't a pushover. I still don't think that he is better than Mario and/or Luigi either. I'm surprised that Bowser was represented in tourneys at all.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Bowse is better than he was in melee true. But He's not better than Mario.
Mario can definately beat Bowser, but as it stands right now, a Mario vs. Bowser match won't effect Bowser's standing on the tier list.

Don't get me wrong -- I agree with you. Mario is definately better than Bowser. I'm just saying that the fact that Mario can beat Bowser won't effect Bowser's ranking very much.

Mush head

Smash Cadet
I think he's right. In order for Mario to be over Bowser, he'll have to be beaten by the others like Peach or Luigi and start a chain reaction. BTW, I do agree also with BO X7, Bowser isn't better than Mario and Luigi overall. It's basically a biased matchup ever since the two became rivals.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
The Tier list have nothing to do with overall skill of the player behind the character. So don't let it go to you're heads. It will never be 100% accurate to every single mindset. If anything, it's a good way to see what characters are dominating the tournaments, and have a wide array of overall potential.

I'm happy he's low tier. More fun that way working him up. Obviously this roster is due to change again at any time.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario can definately beat Bowser, but as it stands right now, a Mario vs. Bowser match won't effect Bowser's standing on the tier list.

Don't get me wrong -- I agree with you. Mario is definately better than Bowser. I'm just saying that the fact that Mario can beat Bowser won't effect Bowser's ranking very much.
Thats not what im getting to. -__- Its the fact that Mario has better match ups than Bowser.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm very sad that Mario is in low tier, his match-ups are a lot better than a lot of the people he's under...it would take a Mario revolution in tourneys to raise him up though...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
*Bump* This kinda needs to be discussed, but it looks like Mario does have nowhere to go but up...I don't know, I just find it hard to believe the Mario is really that low, I mean I knew he wasn't doing hot in tournies but I didn't think that he was doing that bad...

Bowser above Mario? I'm baffled.

Top Bottom