• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, show of hands -- who's actually happy that we can't taunt during netplay?

Tell me how you REALLY feel....

• Taunting is cool, we should be able to do it. Learn to manage your emotions.

Votes: 142 88.8%
  • Taunting sucks, it's salt-inducing. Just save it for CPUs and couch play.

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never really cared about taunts. I don't mind not having them so I don't get taunted by arrogant bad players (like some who get lucky due to lag), but I do feel sorry for Luigi, Snake, and especially Kirby who actually do have value in using them. Then again, I don't use either of those three, so I clearly don't care. If anything, I can try to create unique taunting methods, like using Pit's N-air rapidly, or maybe Down-B after a KO (he says "haha" occasionally), or heck, even use the move that KO'd the opponent after KOing them. It's all about creativity, with the exception of the case of the 3 characters I mentioned earlier.

But to make my answer to the OP short, I'm more in favor of no taunts, though I still do worry about the case with Luigi, Snake, and Kirby. Come to think of it, I think even K.Rool has a taunt that has super armor too that he could've used within reason. At least ppl can still taunt in Arenas, but I assume no taunting is there because of the ranking system thing and all, but oh well. It's not like it affects me at all (Sorry Luigi, Snake, and Kirby players).
Kirby still can get rid of abilities. But why no love for Greninja?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The only time I really ever taunted online was at the beginning of the match, I always thought it was a nice gentlemanly way to start a duel.
Eh, the "gentlemanliness" depends on the taunt in question. To use Sonic in Brawl as an example, "Come on, step it up!" would be a nice “May the best man win” greeting, while "You're too slow!" is blatant trash-talking.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I miss taunting so bad... now i just duck or teabag after killing someone... not as fun. I hope they bring back taunting to random online matches....

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i'm glad it's gone, but when people really want to get their message across, then they find some other means to do it.
though for the most part, people still just spam shorthop --> uair after getting a kill...

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm one who agrees that getting rid of taunting in netplay was unnecessary. Not only were some taunts actually functionally viable, but uh....yeah, Gamer stage is a thing. Kinda awkward when it gives you the "Taunt" mini-game when playing online.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
In the end it was just another way to favor Kirby. Nobody can taunt... except Kirby. Makes Incineroar an alpha pick for online though, don't even got to tell that boy to taunt. And you don't even got to worry about snowflakes getting too offended cause you didn't tell him to.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Now I just crouch with my character. I never wanted that, I preffer to make a thumbs up with Mario, or throw the hat to show I'm happy, or the other rotatory taunt. But now, I crouch many times to try to express some feeling, I think this is much more unrespectfull, cause it feels I'm showing the butt for the other player. But I will keep doing it. It's the only way to interact with the other player.

Last edited:

BK SAMUS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9507-3538
Switch FC
5973-4525-5596
I get salty but I still think it’s cool so I wanna see it come back ASAP

BK SAMUS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9507-3538
Switch FC
5973-4525-5596
I get salty but I still want it in the game ASAP because it’s cool I cant seem to delete this extra post wtf

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
I am now officially for the removal of taunts online. Because, without it, I'd be taunting instead of learning to dab via Ganon's fast dash dance. My taunt game has never been stronger.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Taunting is a legit mindgame, getting into your opponent's head is an incredibly good strategy. Taking it out means you actually lose some strategy. I mean you could still teabag, but that's less fun.

On top of that, taunts had multiple uses. They were a communication tool.

grizby2

Smash Lord
its a minor detail, yes. but no matter how small, its a MASSIVLY LAME detail!

I mean COME ON! oh what? so YOU'RE tell ME that when YOU are at a friends house playing smash, you don't throw a taunt in there somewhere? PUH- LEEZE MATE. and its not like those crazy dash dancers who think they're tom Clancy-fancy don't exist (even more aggravating tbh).

why don't we just use morse code while ducking? whos with me? id like to see Nintendo take THAT outa' the game.

for real though. they made it so we can act out of a taunt faster (which I agree with Marmotbro Marmotbro , make for great mind game tools) , and then they take it away from offline? where most competitive people play? sigh..

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I love my smash taunts, I don't thing the game gains anything by removing them online. People who get extra tilted by some character going "come on" or "is that all?" in a game, well, maybe you shouldn't interact with people. It is a competitive environment in a sense that you get to measure yourself against each other, so people invest in it, there are emotions involved, taunting was a good bit of fun to express that. It was a very tame way of smacktalking, and "very tame" nowadays seems to be too much.

Oh, the humanity.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Oddly enough it's one of the least terrible changes to online play, but that's only because most everything else is so much worse. Still, it just doesn't feel right to be unable to taunt as Ganondorf right after shattering someone's shield, further compounding their imminent death by Warlock Punch. Bring back taunts, bring back switching characters between matches, bring back being able to properly battle against friends, and bring back nicknames being visible on netplay. Seriously that last one is such a bizarre change...

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
Honestly, personally I do sometimes taunt parties and that's mostly the Reason why it was banned online
In Brawl and Smash 4 people were complaining about mostly taunt parties who start well, by a taunt. Now with Ultimate most of them are in specific arenas were taunt are limitless like in Brawl, so that's less of an issue for the players.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ehh, some taunts had a purpose outside of, well, taunting. If I run into a player who I'm roughly equal to in skill, sometimes we would exchange a specific taunt back to back at the start of a match. I used to do it in the Wii U/3DS with Ike online. I miss telling others to "Prepare yourself!" :/

Now that taunts are gone, it encourages teabagging. I'm immune to that stuff though. If anything, it gets a "D'ohoho! We have a clown in the room!" type reaction out of me. Netting that sweet, sweet victory is satisfying.

Taunting in Smash is a Heel tactic at worst, so long as the taunter doesn't rage-quit or lag switch. We can still taunt in arenas though, and I was doing that a lot to my pals with randoms. The back-to-back shade in the call was glorious, lmao

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There was no real point in removing taunts from online. If people can't handle being taunted on, grow up. Control your emotions.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
What's the point of wrecking people online if I can't give a hearty howl or roar with Wolf and Ridley respectively. lol.
Im on the side of thinking taking them away completely being dumb. People are going to find ways to taunt opponents or even taunt party without actual taunts, while the people who actually like the extra characterization they give just lose them completely.
This is a solution that doesn't actually solve anything and harms others.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Taunting could be seen as disrespectful, but do you know what'e even more disrespectful? Teabagging. There's nothing stopping people from doing that. If people want to taunt their opponents without being able to actually taunt, they're going to find ways to taunt their opponents, and most of those ways will be even more disrespectful. It's much like a censor system. If people want to find a way around it, they're going to succeed.

I'm pretty unhappy we can't taunt online.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I wish we could taunt, it’s all in good fun and there’s no reason to be upset about getting taunted. Some plays just deserve a taunt

Uffe

Smash Hero
Now I can't say "OK!" to other Ness mains. We just bow at one another before the match starts. I'm fine with taunts not being possible. Some taunts were rude with specific characters. "Is that all?" "Piece of cake!" "You're too slow!" "La-la-la-la-la-la!" *Palutena laughing*. I still don't get how Ness saying "OK!" offended people.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Now I can't say "OK!" to other Ness mains. We just bow at one another before the match starts. I'm fine with taunts not being possible. Some taunts were rude with specific characters. "Is that all?" "Piece of cake!" "You're too slow!" "La-la-la-la-la-la!" *Palutena laughing*. I still don't get how Ness saying "OK!" offended people.
I don't think they were upset about "ok". They were upset about "okokokokokokokokokokokokokokokokok..."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
All Nintendo has to to do fix this problem is change it so that they're called Cheers instead of Taunts.

Most of them ARE cheer animations rather than taunts anyway, and it completely recontextualizes the action.

Last edited:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know who was actually offended by taunts; seems like baseless conjecture and a lame way to implicate “outrage culture”

It’s pretty plainly Nintendo being out of touch and breaking **** in an attempt to resolve a perceived issue (taunt parties, idling)

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
It's so weird that taunting is totally fine in arenas, because I've had instances where people did it maliciously and put me in disadvantagous situations. I was partnered with a Palutena player, who proceeded to suicide until all I had left was one stock. She taunted before removing herself and leaving me alone with a Snake player. I ended up winning the match anyway, but man, screw that Palutena. Straight up traitor, that player.

That's just the exception though, not the rule. I've run into players who teabag that don't ditch games. In fact, I even made a frenemy out of an Incineroar on Elite Smash. It got to a point where we were clearly having good fun. Hell, I even got this reaction out of a Richter player. Bottom-line is, taunting isn't inherently mean. It all just depends on the intent behind it, and let's face it, we'd excuse ourselves if we spammed "SHOW YA MOVES" to our offline pals, lmao.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Teabagging becomes something entirely different when you actually know the origin of the move and what it implies.

I feel like so many little kids online teabag without knowing what it really means.

Which is hilarious.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I hope they bring taunts back in a future update.

Fortunately though, both of my mains can do unofficial taunts: ROB with his u-tilt ('raise the roof') and Olimar with his d-tilt ('The Worm').

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm glad taunting was removed. Hey, if one is told to manage his emotions over an animation, then perhaps the taunting person should manage his emotions, since he feels the need to taunt. It's fine, though. I just report people who tea bag and block them.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Hold up, I don't have the game yet. Why would they remove taunting from the game?

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting to me that people seem to think adding taunts back in will somehow make people never teabag? People will still teabag regardless because it creates salt and that's just what sone people like to do, so the argument of whether taunting should be in or not needs to find better legs than just being a better alternative to teabagging because it's a poor argument.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
what i find sad is that taunts got removed cause people are so easily offended.. if i could i would taunt after each kill of mine, i like to taunt! so just frigging let me! >:l

what i find even sadder is people reporting others for teabagging and taunting.. that's just so...maaaan how can i say it without being harsh? >~>

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hey, if one is told to manage his emotions over an animation, then perhaps the taunting person should manage his emotions, since he feels the need to taunt.
One shouldn't have to manage the emotion of wanting to do a little dance while playing a video game.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It's interesting to me that people seem to think adding taunts back in will somehow make people never teabag? People will still teabag regardless because it creates salt and that's just what sone people like to do, so the argument of whether taunting should be in or not needs to find better legs than just being a better alternative to teabagging because it's a poor argument.
In Smash 4, I never saw one person teabag. They either used actual taunts, or humorous unofficial taunts like Bowser Jr's tongue or Falco's dab. Taunting was an option for all to use, so there was little need for alternatives to taunting. Taking away taunts from online forces players who still want to taunt to find some alternatives, but those alternatives might be less healthy for the community than actual taunting. Some characters do have good alternatives to taunting. King Dedede has the notoriously salty crouch, Falco can call others a c***, ROB can raise the roof, Inkling has the midair taunt she can use while out of ink, and Cloud can use limit charge. They're all viable substitutes for taunting, but not every character has one of those, however, it just so happens that teabagging is an alternative literally every fighter is capable of. Having official taunts disabled actually results in at least a thousandfold increase of the amount of people teabagging, and it's more infuriating and inappropriate for the younger audience than most actual taunts.

The product of taking away taunts from online? Sure, nobody is officially taunting anymore, but almost everyone who wants to taunt other players is taunting in a much more inappropriate and sexual way. Besides, how can you take away teabagging from Smash Ultimate? Disable crouching, a viable option some characters can utilize to avoid incoming projectiles or shift their hurtbox to duck under enemy attacks? They won't be able to take teabagging away without affecting our ability to fight each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom