• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Piranha Plant might actually be tied with Simon for my favorite newcomer. Such a silly idea and he looks fun, too.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
This reveal was so unexpected and surprising that it's just too cool to be mad at this at all. The character looks really unique and fun in terms of playstyle so I actually cannot wait to get my hands on this new character!

Durnt

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind shy guy... give me the shy guy commander from Paper Mario and have him command a little army in his vehicle; I'll take unique versions of generic characters all day.

So the first rule is that the character had to originate from a game... what is the second?
As long as they have the Paper Mario Shy Guy screams I am 110% either way that final smash better be him taking off the mask and instant killing people at high percents.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
I'm salty as all get out! I know I'll probably enjoy the plant when the game comes, but it baffles me that Sakurai put resources towards them instead of anyone else. Hell, making a Shadow echo or upgrading Ghirahim would have taken LESS time and effort.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think so many take issue with the character itself as the timing of its reveal. Like, everyone and their mother had just gotten deconfirmed, and then this regular enemy is announced right after, it's not unlike what happened with R.O.B. back in Brawl. If he had been announced earlier I think just about everyone would have been on board with this as our joke character.

I personally don't care though, I already had everything I desperately wanted, so I thought this was both the funniest and most mindblowing reveal. He also looks genuinely fun to play as.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I don't think so many take issue with the character itself as the timing of its reveal. Like, everyone and their mother had just gotten deconfirmed, and then this regular enemy is announced right after, it's not unlike what happened with R.O.B. back in Brawl. If he had been announced earlier I think just about everyone would have been on board with this as our joke character.

I personally don't care though, I already had everything I desperately wanted, so I thought this was both the funniest and most mindblowing reveal. He also looks genuinely fun to play as.
But Wii Fit Trainer was announced early and is still hated to this day.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But Wii Fit Trainer was announced early and is still hated to this day.
Wii Fit Trainer really didn't receive anywhere nearly as much hate as some of the other obscure characters have, maybe from a few individuals, but never a significant portion of the community. Coming off of the back of Mega Man probably helped that aswell.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wii Fit Trainer really didn't receive anywhere nearly as much hate as some of the other obscure characters have, maybe from a few individuals, but never a significant portion of the community. Coming off of the back of Mega Man probably helped that aswell.
I'm not sure about that. I remember some nasty reactions in spite of the Megaman reveal.
There is logic in softening the blow by adding it alongside a heavy hitter, but people who feel the need to hate will always hate regardless of the circumstances.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I am so playing the plant.
I got my bounty hunter, my space dragon, my vampire hunter, my dark bounty hunter, ken, the croc, and now this PLANT! Amazing. Couldn't be happier.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
First inclusion in the entire series that I’m not a fan of. Piranha Plant is simply not comparable to the previous “WTF” characters.
  • Mr. Game & Watch - represents an entire line of some of Nintendo’s first games
  • R.O.B. - represents the console that saved the gaming industry
  • Wii Fit Trainer - the only character from one of Nintendo’s best selling games
  • Duck Hunt - a meme from an iconic NES game and again, the only character from its game
  • Piranha Plant - not even a character (a first for Smash); no personality, just an enemy
Not to mention the fact that it came before Mario mainstays like Toad and Waluigi, or even Paper Mario. The fact that Isaac (who was clearly popular enough to return as an Assist) didn’t make it but Piranha Plant did is baffling to me.

“The lolz” is not enough for me to enjoy a character unfortunately. I thought it was funny at first but I soon started thinking...why? Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman put it best in the general thread when he said that it felt more like a Mario Kart WTF pick (a la Honey Queen who I also despised) than a Smash one.

Dan

Smash Lord
First inclusion in the entire series that I’m not a fan of. Piranha Plant is simply not comparable to the previous “WTF” characters.
  • Mr. Game & Watch - represents an entire line of some of Nintendo’s first games
  • R.O.B. - represents the console that saved the gaming industry
  • Wii Fit Trainer - the only character from one of Nintendo’s best selling games
  • Duck Hunt - a meme from an iconic NES game and again, the only character from its game
  • Piranha Plant - not even a character (a first for Smash); no personality, just an enemy
Not to mention the fact that it came before Mario mainstays like Toad and Waluigi, or even Paper Mario. The fact that Isaac (who was clearly popular enough to return as an Assist) didn’t make it but Piranha Plant did is baffling to me.

“The lolz” is not enough for me to enjoy a character unfortunately. I thought it was funny at first but I soon started thinking...why? Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman put it best in the general thread when he said that it felt more like a Mario Kart WTF pick (a la Honey Queen who I also despised) than a Smash one.
Thank God; a person with a brain. I wish I was one of these simpletons that didn't care about characters and just was like "derp; there goes crazy Sakurai again. I love it!"; I can't even bear to watch GameXplain's discussion because I know they're going to be praising how no one saw it coming - that doesn't make for a good choice.

I will again certify that they did an amazing job executing the character given the circumstances.

The one saving grace is them acting like this is just some day-one bonus that not much mind should be given to.

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Thank God; a person with a brain. I wish I was one of these simpletons that didn't care about characters and just was like "derp; there goes crazy Sakurai again. I love it!"; I can't even bear to watch GameXplain's discussion because I know they're going to be praising how no one saw it coming - that doesn't make for a good choice.

I will again certify that they did an amazing job executing the character given the circumstances.

The one saving grace is them acting like this is just some day-one bonus that not much mind should be given to.
I absolutely agree with you that the move set is excellent. But why now when you had the ballot at your disposal? I always enjoyed Sakurai’s “quirky” picks in the past because they were important to Nintendo’s history and were actual characters. Piranha Plant ticks neither box.

Dan

Smash Lord
Like this is not something to play around with; this is like putting Rick Astley in the R&R Hall of Fame or something.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
not even a character (a first for Smash); no personality, just an enemy
Yeah, quite true. After all, he hasn't shown up in any of the mainline Mario games. Definitely more suitable for Mario Party or Tennis.
Now, Piranha Plant, on the other hand...

...We were talking about Waluigi, right?

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, quite true. After all, he hasn't shown up in any of the mainline Mario games. Definitely more suitable for Mario Party or Tennis.
Now, Piranha Plant, on the other hand...

...We were talking about Waluigi, right?
Piranha Plant is more deserving on the basis that he's appeared in the mainline Mario games alone? By that logic, Cheep Cheep should get in before Waluigi. Also, since when does Waluigi have no personality? I wasn't even supporting the character for this game but I don't understand your point.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Piranha Plant is more deserving on the basis that he's appeared in the mainline Mario games alone? By that logic, Cheep Cheep should get in before Waluigi. Also, since when does Waluigi have no personality? I wasn't even supporting the character for this game but I don't understand your point.
Hmm, not a bad idea.

C3CC

Smash Lord
LMAAOOOO

I LOVE IT

I think it's a big "**** you" from Mr. Sakurai to all the intense fans who won't shut up and stop complaining about everything despite all his hard work. And to make things better, he got in before stupid Geno and Waluigi, which I LOVE.

I wasn't, and I'm sure no one was, expecting this. Welcome Piranha Plant!!!

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind shy guy... give me the shy guy commander from Paper Mario and have him command a little army in his vehicle; I'll take unique versions of generic characters all day.

So the first rule is that the character had to originate from a game... what is the second?
My memories a little hazy on how he worded it but it was something along the lines of "They have to offer something interesting and fun"

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
I was a little salty at first, but now that I've had some time to let it sink in, this is my favorite newcomer. I literally cannot imagine a funnier character they could have added.

I can't wait for the interviews to find out exactly what led Sakurai to this decision. Was there a list of "wtf" characters that they had to choose from? Or was it a developer inside joke?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to say one character is better than the other, but I'm pretty sure Geno was the most important character to the story of Mario RPG.
I feel safe in saying that Mario is the most important character to the story of Mario RPG.

Geno practically had no story. He had a text dumb and did exposition. Every other character actually had plots and subplots of their own that contributed to the story. In mallow's case (and Bowser's to a much lesser extent) we actually had legitimate character growth.

But none of those characters are Pirhna plant. So we're not talking about them.

Really, the more people talk about how much that HATE the Plant, how it ruined Smash, how the devleopers are idiots that hate the fans, and how they character they personally want would have beeen SOOOOOO much better, the more I love the thing.

Dan

Smash Lord
My memories a little hazy on how he worded it but it was something along the lines of "They have to offer something interesting and fun"
Someone already answered that: they have to have at least one game on a Nintendo console.

Really, the more people talk about how much that HATE the Plant, how it ruined Smash, how the devleopers are idiots that hate the fans, and how they character they personally want would have beeen SOOOOOO much better, the more I love the thing.
Good; glad to know you enjoy wallowing in other people's misery.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Like this is not something to play around with; this is like putting Rick Astley in the R&R Hall of Fame or something.
Except Smash isn't officially a Hall of Fame. It's a game that's trying to be fun, first and foremost, not the official arbiter of who counts as a Notable Nintendo/Video Game Character.

Sakurai's always seemed to opt for "fun" over other criteria, and now he won't even let a lack of specific identity stop him if it's a truly inspired idea.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Except Smash isn't officially a Hall of Fame. It's a game that's trying to be fun, first and foremost, not the official arbiter who counts as a Notable Nintendo/Video Game Character.

Sakurai's always seemed to opt for "fun" over other criteria, and now he won't even let a lack of specific identity stop him if it's a truly inspired idea.
That's fair; at the end of the day I'd rather have the man do what he wants to do, but this was hard to take.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
To be fair, I think every single character has been highly requested (or an echo of a highly requested character) so I think having a single off the wall character is fine. Usually he does a few odd balls that are there for niche reasons or for the gameplay possibilities. Also most of the newcomers seem like heavier characters so a lighter newcomer is nice.

I'll be honest, I didn't grow up on Nintendo systems so a lot of these fan favorite nostalgic picks (who are heavyweights as well, my least favorite characters to play in Smash) really were... uninteresting to me. I am happy for fans, but I am not interested in playing them that much.

Inklings and the Piranha Plant are the only characters that I was excited to see, and Inklings didn't surprise anyone. I really gravitate to the oddball picks and I am disappointed we didn't get much this time around. Sure, DLC is coming, but they will most likely be more expected fan-favorites because they want to make sure the DLC actually sells as well as please fans, so the characters I would like to see have no chance in hell.

I think Piranha Plant looks like fun and I wish we got more zany choices with non-realistic-humanoid body shapes.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Someone already answered that: they have to have at least one game on a Nintendo console.

Good; glad to know you enjoy wallowing in other people's misery.
Misery? Come on dude, this is hardly the worst thing that could have happened to you this week.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
To be fair, I think every single character has been highly requested (or an echo of a highly requested character) so I think having a single off the wall character is fine. Usually he does a few odd balls that are there for niche reasons or for the gameplay possibilities. Also most of the newcomers seem like heavier characters so a lighter newcomer is nice.

I'll be honest, I didn't grow up on Nintendo systems so a lot of these fan favorite nostalgic picks (who are heavyweights as well, my least favorite characters to play in Smash) really were... uninteresting to me. I am happy for fans, but I am not interested in playing them that much.

Inklings and the Piranha Plant are the only characters that I was excited to see, and Inklings didn't surprise anyone. I really gravitate to the oddball picks and I am disappointed we didn't get much this time around. Sure, DLC is coming, but they will most likely be more expected fan-favorites because they want to make sure the DLC actually sells as well as please fans, so the characters I would like to see have no chance in hell.

I think Piranha Plant looks like fun and I wish we got more zany choices with non-realistic-humanoid body shapes.
100% agree with you on that last bit. That's why I disagree with Pokemon's representation. Over 800 unique monsters and they pick ones that just fight like normal humans. Sure Incineroar looks fun, but Starman from NES Pro Wrestling makes sense having the exact same moveset (literally Incineroar's side special comes from that game). Mewtwo and Lucario both get a pass as they're iconic, but Nihilego (who would be similar to Piranha Plant, albeit not as unexpected) and Silvally are two Pokemon with plot relevance who could do things no other fighter could. So I hope Sakurai does more left field picks like this in the future, because this little plant right here is my new main.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
It really feels like it was designed as an easy to make DLC fighter for their promotion so I'm not mad at all about Piranha Plant's inclusion, it doesn't feel like it's taking up a spot and it's a very funny and cool fighter. It also makes for one of the best amiibo yet

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm done hating on the character, but everyone in heaven over this must've had no other newcomer desires?

I agree it doesn't feel like it's taking a spot, but holy hell it feels like an eternity between Smash announcements; they should've at least told us who one or two of the DLC fighters are to compensate.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm done hating on the character, but everyone in heaven over this must've had no other newcomer desires?

I agree it doesn't feel like it's taking a spot, but holy hell it feels like an eternity between Smash announcements; they should've at least told us who one or two of the DLC fighters are to compensate.
My greatest wish was for Mewtwo to be back, that wasn't very unrealistic though.
I was lowkey hoping for Isaac and Shadow, and Zero before them, but I was prepared to face reality.

Frankly, I'm not asking for anything in particular regarding newcomers. When they brought back everyone I was so blown away and satisfied that at this point anything I could ask for is just extra icing. My outlook towards the five additional DLC newcomers is that I rather be surprised over having something predictable.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
100% agree with you on that last bit. That's why I disagree with Pokemon's representation. Over 800 unique monsters and they pick ones that just fight like normal humans. Sure Incineroar looks fun, but Starman from NES Pro Wrestling makes sense having the exact same moveset (literally Incineroar's side special comes from that game). Mewtwo and Lucario both get a pass as they're iconic, but Nihilego (who would be similar to Piranha Plant, albeit not as unexpected) and Silvally are two Pokemon with plot relevance who could do things no other fighter could. So I hope Sakurai does more left field picks like this in the future, because this little plant right here is my new main.
I really thought Nihilego and Mimikyu had an okay shot from the early marketing. The thing that bugs me about Pokemon characters is that I see many people talk about how [insert cute Pokemon here] can't be in because they aren't badass enough. I think Smash's pokemon roster is mostly badass and the 'cute' side of Pokemon is lacking a tad.

Dan

Smash Lord
My greatest wish was for Mewtwo to be back, that wasn't very unrealistic though.
I was lowkey hoping for Isaac and Shadow, and Zero before them, but I was prepared to face reality.

Frankly, I'm not asking for anything in particular regarding newcomers. When they brought back everyone I was so blown away and satisfied that at this point anything I could ask for is just extra icing. My outlook towards the five additional DLC newcomers is that I rather be surprised over having something predictable.
I'm kind of greedy and never satisfied, which is good I guess, cause it keeps me interested; after Wii U I had literally game-planned in my head that the perfect Smash would be Melee 2 with every character + Ridely (I think I called it Smash Tournament Fighter or something) and here we are, and I'm still begging for more. :laugh: All I really wanted was Ridley and Rool, and now I've jumped to Geno and Banjo.

onlysmashbros

Smash Rookie
I prefer Crash Bandicoot over Piranha Plant, however it looks like it will be a fun character. I usually play random, and don't really enjoy playing characters like villager or olimar. I'm glad it wasn't another pokemon, fire emblem, animal crossing or echo character.

Top Bottom