• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

BigTru

Smash Rookie
*Spoilers*

So for those of you who haven't played through the Japanese PoR and RD and unlocked the A conversation for Soren and ending or picked up on the numerous subtle hints plotted throughout the story, Ike is indeed homosexual, though he definitely isn't the first in the Fire Emblem series which is riddled with cases of incest and homosexuality.

My question is what is everyone's opinion of the matter of including a strictly homosexual character in Brawl?

I can definitely see some soccer moms tripping out about the matter if they found out, but I honestly don't care. I don't think Sakurai is going to make any references to Ike's homosexuality but even if they did, isn't this game slated to be a "T" game? Or am I mistaken? And I don't mean to be political about the matter, but I don't think homosexuality is an inappropriate thing even in a game that's made by Nintendo marketed to youth. Homosexuality is growing becoming more and more accepted. I myself am not homosexual, but I see no problem with Ike's inclusion in SSBB.

What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I think there's still a subtle reference.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Is this REAL?

Can you show us pictures of such conversation? I really find it hard to believe NOA localization team would let such thing go into a game, not because its good nor bad, but because its just too polemic.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Homosexuals. They are just as normal as Heterosexuals, and should never be treated differently.

I am heterosexual, but I have a close friend who is homosexual, and he is still a wonderful friend. I am glad that Nintendo is expanding their characters personalties like this.

burrito

Smash Lord
Wow, is that true? I actually find that to be quite ironic. Ike is such a rugged manly kick *** character, Marth on the other hand...

Pyr0

Smash Ace
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Homosexuals. They are just as normal as Heterosexuals, and should never be treated differently.

I am heterosexual, but I have a close friend who is homosexual, and he is still a wonderful friend. I am glad that Nintendo is expanding their characters personalties like this.
Nobody is saying its good or bad, keep your opinion to yourself.

I just don't want smash to become the next game in the news being trash talked.

And I still want proof, this could very well be a bad joke.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
I never saw a hint of Ike being gay, I seriously think this guy is on something, unless he could prove it.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I don't believe it and unless you post proof I'm afraid I can't take your word for it. However if it is true it could explain a few screenshots with Snake.

BigTru

Smash Rookie
I didn't want this thread to go off-topic and become about a completely different game, rather I wanted people's opinions about the matter and the fact that it has slight potential that SSBB could recieve notorious controversy for the matter. However, with a mods permission, I will present my evidence in this topic, but I don't really want this to go off-topic from SSBB. Perhaps I'll just make a topic in the off-topic/other video game sub-category board on this site?

Anyways, any opinions on the matter of the inclusion of a homosexual character?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
If you want to get really technical about it, Yoshi may count as the first gay character in Brawl (it has been inferred that he and Birdo have something of a relationship going, and although it's still debated a bit, my understanding is that Birdo is indeed male).

Not to steal Ike's thunder or anything, just saying. If what you're saying is true (I've never played any FE game at all, let alone his), then Ike would certainly be the first gay, human character in Brawl.

Personally, I think it's nice to see a gay character represented, even if it's not blatantly paraded around (in fact, I think I prefer it that way).

Now, if only we could get a human character who isn't white or asian. . . .

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
After doing a little research, as far as I can tell, there's really no concrete evidence to prove whether Ike and Soren are "lovers" or just dear friends. Ike's sexuality remains a mystery.

However, Nintendo will, of course, glaze over Ike's sexuality (or the ambiguity of it) to prevent any unnecessary conflict. You are absolutely correct, it SHOULD NOT be a big deal, regardless of which way Ike swings; but it will undoubtably be unless Nintendo portrays him as steriotypically heterosexual or completely asexual. It's an unfortunate circumstance of the world we live in.

I, personally, like the idea of a homosexual charactar in the Nintendo world- out or not. The likelihood that this will ever be realized by Nintendo, who is unfaultedly remaining neutral to this topic, is slim to none. It's a shame.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nobody is saying its good or bad, keep your opinion to yourself.

I just don't want smash to become the next game in the news being trash talked.

And I still want proof, this could very well be a bad joke.
Bad jokes?

None of this, people.

I don't care if he is homosexual or not. He's still a badass.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yoshi and Birdo only were really seen together in some sports games, and that trend is over. Did Yoshi find out Birdo's secret and leave her(him?)? Who knows...
The point is that a relationship between them was at least briefly hinted at. Though you do have a point. Yoshi could've been tricked and backed out (both figuratively and possibly literally. . .), but they certainly don't seem to have hard feelings. In Mario Strikers Charged, Birdo sometimes rubs Yoshi's back when his team gets scored on. Not a BLATANT act of affection, but something worth noting.

Whose to say Yoshi isn't a female?
He's referred to as a male on the dojo.

If I recall correctly, didn't Birdo used to be male but then was changed to female to avoid the issue?
He's back to being a boy in Mario Strikers Charged. I have a screenshot of his profile on an official website stating such if you care to see it.

But this thread's about Ike. Didn't mean to derail it so badly.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
How ironic. A lot of people wanted Ike in, because he was a manlier version of marth, and they all called marth a homosexual. oh the cruel irony of it all.

But I like the idea of a homosexual character. Brings diversity to the roster. gives me all the more reasons to second him.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Did my research, I now know what you're talking about, but No, Ike isn't gay.

Soren is just incredibly emotional, and he express all he's emotions at once.

Ike and Soren are just extremely close pals, they have fought 2(+) wars together, traveled around countless of miles, and shared blood sweat and tears.

You can compare this with a squadron of soldiers, you have no idea how attached they become to one another, its more than family!

So no, Ike isn't gay, he just has a close bond with Soren.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Aww... I would've of mained Ike if he was gay. Oh well.
I don't know if I'd automatically main him (Gimpy says he's ridiculously slow), but it certainly sparked more interest in him for me. Makes him a little more than just some sword-swinging hero from a game I never played.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Aww... I would've of mained Ike if he was gay. Oh well.
I was thinking the same thing.

Not to get off-topic, as I'm sure this has been discussed many times; but I feel it is relavent to the discussion of "homosexual" Nintendo characters.

Whose to say Yoshi isn't a female? If I recall correctly, didn't Birdo used to be male but then was changed to female to avoid the issue?
In Birdo's biography of the Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction booklet, it reads "He thinks he's a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called Birdetta."[9] Contrary to popular belief, this is not the result of a poor translation. In Japan, Catherine was always male, despite the feminine name. Nintendo of America later censored Birdo to female to avoid potential controversy. Recently, in the Mario Strikers Charged official website, Birdo is again referred to as "he".[10] Despite this, many gamers categorize Birdo as the first full Male to Female transsexual in the video game universe.[11]
Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo#_note-9, where other legitimate sources are quoted.

In Mario Strikers Charged, Birdo sometimes rubs Yoshi's back when his team gets scored on. Not a BLATANT act of affection, but something worth noting.
Not to splice hairs, but, as in the Ike case, I'm not sure if we can analyze any form of physical contact like that as an "act of affection." It's possible, don't get me wrong; I just know what I may consider a friendly gesture, others may take it as an affectionate act.

SmashFi3nd

Smash Apprentice
even IF hes gay i wouldnt care...hes still kick *** and a manlier version of marth anyday...btw homosexuals shouldnt b treated differently

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Ike and Soren are just extremely close pals, they have fought 2(+) wars together, traveled around countless of miles, and shared blood sweat and tears.

You can compare this with a squadron of soldiers, you have no idea how attached they become to one another, its more than family!

sounds gay to me. :/

really, I wouldn't be surprised if Ike was a closeted homosexual. Manga writers do things like that all the time. *points at CLAMP*

Pyr0

Smash Ace

Read my post guys!

I will try to get the video.

Conclusion: Ike isn't gay, he just has a close bond with Soren.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Not to splice hairs, but, as in the Ike case, I'm not sure if we can analyze any form of physical contact like that as an "act of affection." It's possible, don't get me wrong; I just know what I may consider a friendly gesture, others may take it as an affectionate act.
I hear ya, believe me. I just thought it was worth mentioning, since I've never seen any character do that for any other character in that game. Just Birdo and Yoshi. I don't think any other character even gets a high-five.

Plus, I really like the idea of them being a couple. So I tend to jump at any little "hint" I find.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
sounds gay to me. :/

really, I wouldn't be surprised if Ike was a closeted homosexual. Manga writers do things like that all the time. *points at CLAMP*
Actually, that *IS* true. While CLAMP does do it a bit more compared to other writers, japanese manga and anime do feature boy/boy pairing and girl/girl pairings in a common matter.

BTW, I'm so looking into this Ike thing.

BigTru

Smash Rookie
First off, read this. All the way through, this is the original thread so there is a lot of debating in the beggining.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=932999&topic=39371067

It's hinted at subtly throughout the entire PoD/RD storyline, that's what makes it a good "twist". They hint at it throughout, but just enough to keep you guessing until it all comes into culmination in the A Support with Soren in the Japanese version(You must have A support with him in both PoR and RD with Ike in the Japanese versipn). That is the most solid piece of evidence.

As for where it's hinted at throughout the story, consider his personality. He is fairly talkative (it wold be different if he were like Cloud from FFVII or some other unamed Lords who just keep to themselves/are very quite/almost seem asexual), but whenever a girl comes on to him or the subject of romance with a opposite gender comes up, he dodges it like a bullet. Not in the way that when a character has a crush on another and it's brought up, how a character would try to downplay it. Oh no. It would be completely different if "Ike were one of those thinking types that keep to themself, like Soren, but Ike is normal a reckless, talkative character... Yet when things around this subject occur, he simply dodges them." (FireofLight)

As posted by measured, here are some examples:
-ignored it when a cute pegasus knight hit on him
-been completely oblivious that Elincia loves him,
-didn't do the hot catgirl who wanted him
-insulted and ran away from the hot salesgirl who wanted him...and hid in Soren's room.
-has no female endings, despite many girls wanting him

Ofcoarse that isn't proof alone, but it's what leads up to the subtle-under plot. It's kinda like the clues before Sherlocke unveils how he solved the case. It shouldn't really come to much surprise seeing as he's from a series riddled with rampant incest and homosexuality.

As far as Soren goes, he seems like a classic case of a hopeless romantic for Ike. "I'll be by your side forever / the only place for me is by your side / I couldn't bare it if you died" straight boys don't say that to each other, even if they're close friends. Straight boys would have conversations closer to Ike and Boyd's "here, I'll watch your back so we get out of this war alike, k?" kind.

But seriously, just get A support with Soren in PoR and RD in the Ja[anese version or find a translation. If you need more proof for some odd reason, I guess I'll make a really detailed analysis tomorrow but there's really no point. Either get the A supports and the ending or find a translation somewhere.

Now keep in mind that the homosexuality is indeed subtle, in that Ike is not going around having hot man sex after the A conversation, but that's because that would make it actually a pretty crappy plot "twist". That would be a complete change in personality, he just wouldn't be as badass with make-out scenes popping up everywhere.

I think it's safe to say Ike is the first homosexual character in Brawl. Otherwise, it'd be like assuming that Ash Ketchum is homosexual, even though he's clearly showed interest for the opposite sex. I mean really, what more do you want? Scenes like that of FFVIII with Squall and Rinoa?

Donkey_Kong

Smash Cadet
Why does his sexuality MATTER? Are you going to find love on the battlefield (or rather, final destination for nearly all of you)? Are there going to be attacks that are just too **** gay? I don't think so.

You guys are picking a character's sexuality seriously because he's one of the common portrayals of Japanese archetypes. It's the same tired old "lol what if yami and kaiba are gay or snake and otacon or mario and luigi or viewtiful joe and ryu hayabusa" **** that fangirls pick up for fanfiction material. The whole "friendship above all, shooting down girls" bit is a common thing for badass characters in Japanese fiction. Just because he might shoot down a woman and break a heart doesn't mean he wants to cuddle with his warbuddy.

But no, that's not the main problem. That's now what strikes my response.

You people bring YOSHI into the ****ing fray.

YOSHI.

Rakath

Smash Ace
HUGE MAJOR SPOILERS!

If I recall right, Ike has two partnered character endings (Ranulf and Soren). The other character paired endings are all marriage or love based (Astrid and Makalov, Sothe and Micaiah, Elincia and Geoffery). None of the endings are the rare in Fire Emblem 'just friends' ending. And in general a pair ending is a LOVE ending in each game (FE9 didn't have 'endings', some minor Ike dialog changes after Final chapter).

Now, is Ike a homosexual? Dunno, both his endings could be read as platonic, romantic, or subserviant. It could just be 'close friends' however it could be he's 'more' attached to them. Rightly, don't care, he's a cool sword weilding FE character. The fact he has no female partner endings is really the only suggestion (I've not read endings for FE1-5, but the GBA series ones the Lordlings always have a few love interests).

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
EWW!!

I thought Sonic was enough ***gotry! Now this?? Ugh. I hate gays. But, I hope you have concrete evidence. I'm not going to reveal my bias against ***s until you show me proof of this.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Sexual preference really has no effect on me at all. Oh my Ike's implied to be gay so what?

It's not like this is a first for FE history, I mean FE7 had a gay couple (It was so obvious you couldn't miss it).

-Knight

Zevox

Smash Lord
*shrugs* Honestly, I wouldn't care. I mean, its a fighting game, why does something like that even matter to Brawl?

Anyway, if such is the way that conversation actually went (I haven't gotten through a second play of RD yet to get that one, and certainly have no way to learn what the Japanese version says), it wouldn't necessarily make Ike strictly homosexual - there are indications of him being attracted to Elincia in PoR (particularly in their A support), and FE characters have been known to display different orientations based on supports before. Anyone remember how Lyn could marry Hector or Eliwood in Blazing Sword with an A support, but her supports with Florina also indicated a romance between them (poorly covered up in the US version with the words "as a friend" added at the end of one of Lyn's lines)? Same situation with Ike as I see it, it would potentially make both bisexual. And Lyn is in Brawl too, albeit in a different form from Ike. Does that matter for her?

Meh, I guess I just don't see why this was even brought up. Like I said, why does it matter to Brawl? Its not like the game is big on story, and even with Subspace Emissary, I doubt anything romantic could be expected, even between the simplest of pairs like Mario and Peach.

Zevox

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Why does his sexuality MATTER?
Why does discussing clone cuts matter? Why does Zelda's down B move matter? Why does anything anybody talks about on this forum matter? We're all going to buy the game anyway, so who cares?

People just like talking about interesting things. This is an interesting topic. So, deal.

Are you going to find love on the battlefield (or rather, final destination for nearly all of you)? Are there going to be attacks that are just too **** gay? I don't think so.
I don't think so either. Not the point of the thread.

You guys are picking a character's sexuality seriously because he's one of the common portrayals of Japanese archetypes. It's the same tired old "lol what if yami and kaiba are gay or snake and otacon or mario and luigi or viewtiful joe and ryu hayabusa" **** that fangirls pick up for fanfiction material.
True, except many of your examples are examples of baseless fangirl/boyness. I haven't played FE, but this scene between Ike and Soren sounds like there are some subtle implications being given. Where as Mario and Luigi is PURELY fanmade, since there's nothing to base a relationship on. Some people just like the idea of the brothers together, so they make stuff up. These seem like different scenarios to me.

The whole "friendship above all, shooting down girls" bit is a common thing for badass characters in Japanese fiction. Just because he might shoot down a woman and break a heart doesn't mean he wants to cuddle with his warbuddy.
I'll agree with that.

YOSHI.
Yeahhhh, that was me. I stand by what I said, and I don't think it's at all impossible or unreasonable for Yoshi to be gay. I'm sorry if you disagree.

RBF Kaji

Smash Rookie
IDK im gonna main ike gay or not. he really really doesnt seem the gay type to me lol he's just way too kewl.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Why does his sexuality MATTER? Are you going to find love on the battlefield (or rather, final destination for nearly all of you)? Are there going to be attacks that are just too **** gay? I don't think so.

You guys are picking a character's sexuality seriously because he's one of the common portrayals of Japanese archetypes. It's the same tired old "lol what if yami and kaiba are gay or snake and otacon or mario and luigi or viewtiful joe and ryu hayabusa" **** that fangirls pick up for fanfiction material. The whole "friendship above all, shooting down girls" bit is a common thing for badass characters in Japanese fiction. Just because he might shoot down a woman and break a heart doesn't mean he wants to cuddle with his warbuddy.

YOSHI.
/thread

10CHAR*****ES

Rakath

Smash Ace
Sexual preference really has no effect on me at all. Oh my Ike's implied to be gay so what?

It's not like this is a first for FE history, I mean FE7 had a gay couple (It was so obvious you couldn't miss it).

-Knight
There were two homosexual couples, one male pair and one female pair.

Fire Emblem games (when they do pair endings) generally are pretty liberal on who is what. The only time they aren't is with cast that has some pre-set relationships. FE7 is chalked full of all of this.

Top Bottom