• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

Zevox

Smash Lord
There were two homosexual couples, one male pair and one female pair.
In Blazing Sword? I must have missed the male one (wouldn't surprise me, since I didn't get anywhere near all of the supports). Who was it?

Zevox

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
There were two homosexual couples, one male pair and one female pair.

Fire Emblem games (when they do pair endings) generally are pretty liberal on who is what. The only time they aren't is with cast that has some pre-set relationships. FE7 is chalked full of all of this.
There was a female pair? Zevox it was Raven and Lucius in FE7

-Knight

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
As Ike's Final Smash is presently not "Surprise Buttsecks", I doubt the latent sexual orientation of the character will play into the game much. In the smash realm, it's a fact that backstories rarely affect very many aspects of the gameplay (though admittedly Subspace Emissary could change that). I mean, do we ever see Mario do any plumbing between stock matches?

However, on the case of Nintendo bringing more change into the depth and spectrum of characters, I'm fully in favour of it. Homosexuality is one of those grand aspects of life that offends me about as much as people who eat their pizza starting with the crust; It's different, but I don't really see where it effects me.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
What's wrong with that? I love gays! Sometimes I think I might love gays more than I love normal people.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
The whole "friendship above all, shooting down girls" bit is a common thing for badass characters in Japanese fiction. Just because he might shoot down a woman and break a heart doesn't mean he wants to cuddle with his warbuddy.
Hit the nail in the head.

Agrees with this post = thread over.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
You guys are fan-fiction obbsessed people! Just because of "hints"? Guys, I could find so many "Hints" about pairings:

Like how Captain Falcon is always kicking people with his legs! OMD! He wants to do everyone!

Guys, NOA would NEVER do something like this. Just like when they changed Vivian's gender in Paper Mario 2.

Zevox

Smash Lord
There was a female pair? Zervox it was Raven and Lucius in FE7

-Knight
Ah - yep, definitely missed that one. Used both of them a lot, but never supported each other (tended to go Lucius/Serra and Raven with Priscilla or Rebecca). And the female pair was, as I said above, Lyn and Florina.

Zevox

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
While this guy is doing a good thing by talking about homosexuality and its effects on the game he is just going by random support conversations that are optional and can be interpreted in many ways usually not as extremes such as homosexuality. By his logic anyone who has a support conversation a Rolf who is a small boy in the game must be a pedophile. I doubt Ike is homosexual because anyone who has played POR can tell Ike is F***ing the Princess of Crimea

Also Lyn is not a lesbian u fool. She is potentially Roy's Mother
as for raven and lucius i suspect that is some strange fanfiction stuff but that could potentially be true raven actually seems like a closet homesexual for some reason and lucius was very feminine

Donkey_Kong

Smash Cadet
blahlahblah please mr kong dont spoil my erotic fanfiction
Clone cuts and Zelda's moves actually affect the **** game. Ike's sexuality doesn't. Nobody's sexuality does, unless it's Tingle. I wouldn't have a problem with this thread if this thread wasn't so stupid. Or sounded like a bad fanfic in the making.

True, except many of your examples are examples of baseless fangirl/boyness. I haven't played FE,
Stop right there. You haven't played FE, you haven't actually seen this scene, but you're going to go ahead and assume that Ike's favorite fruit is the banana. Yet you're going to state that all of my pairings are fanmade.

Do I see confirmation of Ike being gay?

I don't believe so.

You could argue that any character could be gay with any other character, with enough desperate grasping and fangoggles. Diddy and DK might be gay because they're monkeys that live in a tree house together, are BFFs, constantly high-five, and eat bananas. But they're also monkeys.

Which brings us to the next subject. Yoshi.

For the most part, we don't even know if Yoshi's HAVE a sexuality. But you're also going to assume that he was paired with Birdo for pure gayness.

Your entire justification of Yoshi being gay is that he was paired with Birdo for one game.

Sure. Maybe. Maybe it's also because Birdo is the only thing resembling Yoshi's species and would make a good team-mate since most of them tend to be similar in physical appearance.

Or they could be gay.

Yeah, your answer sounds better, I'm sure.

BigTru

Smash Rookie
Oh yes, I for got to mention it has to be on your second playthrough.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Yoshi is asexual, isn't he? Whatever, doesn't change the character.
Yoshi is Male and Female. Not both, it depends on which you talk about. Yoshi is not gay, to whoever said that. It's a situation of like a nerd chasing a cheerleader, Yoshi being the cheerleader and Birdo being the nerd(Scatch the situation of "8 Days a Week").

Oh, and props to you for having a Tales of Phantasia sig!

Pengie

Smash Lord
This wouldn't be the first case of a homosexual character in a fighting game. If anyone remembers Zangief from Street Fighter was gay considering one of his dislikes was, and I'm taking this from Wikipedia "Beautiful young women".

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
You guys are fan-fiction obbsessed people! Just because of "hints"? Guys, I could find so many "Hints" about pairings:

Like how Captain Falcon is always kicking people with his legs! OMD! He wants to do everyone!

Guys, NOA would NEVER do something like this. Just like when they changed Vivian's gender in Paper Mario 2.
The fact of the matter is that, in the past there were homosexual characters(couples) in Fire Emblem. Does it really matter if Ike is gay or not? Is it hurting you in someway if he is? No.

-Knight

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
The fact of the matter is that, in the past there were homosexual characters(couples) in Fire Emblem in the past. Does it really matter if Ike is gay or not? Is it hurting you in someway if he is? No.

-Knight
Of Course! It's against God's will! He does not want gays, ***s, and etc. in this world! I, myself, make fun of them and call people ***gots alot, because I don't like them (much like the majority of the world). The only kind of it people care for, is female gayness, or female bisexuality, or hell even trisexuality!

BigTru

Smash Rookie

Please, stop degrading this thread with stupid posts like this.

While this guy is doing a good thing by talking about homosexuality and its effects on the game he is just going by random support conversations that are optional and can be interpreted in many ways usually not as extremes such as homosexuality. By his logic anyone who has a support conversation a Rolf who is a small boy in the game must be a pedophile.
Again, degrading the thread. It is not just about him having a special A Support convo with another male, it's the contents of the conversation and the hints leading up to it and the fact that A support conversations have been reserved for lovers in the entire Fire Emblem series.

And after seeing some of these gay hate posts, I really hope mods start dishing out temporary bans. Anyways, I'm off. I'll reply in tomorrow night after work(if this thread is still open).

Zevox

Smash Lord
Guys, NOA would NEVER do something like this.
Hate to tell you, but even Ike's second game, Radiant Dawn, has a far more blatant example of a homosexual, and it got past NOA. The Rogue Heather displays an utter obsession with "pretty girls" (her exact words) and a total contempt for men. Short of coming out and saying shes a lesbian point-blank, she could hardly be more obvious. Plus its a known fact that Fire Emblem has had homosexual characters/pairings before, even if NOA tried to cover it up in the US versions - perhaps they finally decided to stop trying.

Edit: Well, I'm beginning to suspect this thread will get locked...

Zevox

Donkey_Kong

Smash Cadet
Of Course! It's against God's will! He does not want gays, ***s, and etc. in this world! I, myself, make fun of them and call people ***gots alot, because I don't like them (much like the majority of the world). The only kind of it people care for, is female gayness, or female bisexuality, or hell even trisexuality!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Since when does God's will have any effect or apply in the realm of fiction?

-Knight

Bowling Pin

Smash Rookie
There are only two responses to this:

a) 0/10.

b) You'll burn in hell for eating porkchops.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Clone cuts and Zelda's moves actually affect the **** game. Ike's sexuality doesn't. Nobody's sexuality does, unless it's Tingle. I wouldn't have a problem with this thread if this thread wasn't so stupid. Or sounded like a bad fanfic in the making.
Editing my post in your quote wasn't necessary. I'm sure you could've found a way to respond to my post in a more mature way.

Anyway, allow me to use better examples then. On this board, I've seen threads involving people discussing Yoshi being too cutesy looking in Brawl, liking or disliking Zelda's new hair color, and there's a thread in Pikachu's forum discussing the absence of his blue party hat. None of that really impacts Brawl at all and they were all allowed (I don't recall any of them being locked). So how is this different?

Stop right there. You haven't played FE, you haven't actually seen this scene, but you're going to go ahead and assume that Ike's favorite fruit is the banana. Yet you're going to state that all of my pairings are fanmade.
I didn't say that, no. I said that it peaked my interest. I made no such assumption that Ike was certain be gay, only that the brief description of the scene that BigTru gave seemed to have some subtle implications to me. However, I see no such subtleties with Mario and Luigi or Yami and Kaiba, etc. There's plenty of fanfiction on both pairs, I'm sure (especially Yami/Kaiba), but there's fanfiction for EVERYTHING. This thing with Ike SEEMS more founded to me, and I intend to do some digging around the net to figure out more regarding it. I won't pretend to know something about a game I've never played based on something some person I don't even know told me.

Do I see confirmation of Ike being gay?

I don't believe so.
Nor do I.

You could argue that any character could be gay with any other character, with enough desperate grasping and fangoggles. Diddy and DK might be gay because they're monkeys that live in a tree house together, are BFFs, constantly high-five, and eat bananas. But they're also monkeys.
And Ike and Soren aren't (unless there's some other twist in that game that I'm unaware of), so any of those kinds of implications would look much more suspicious with them. Not that any of that is exactly a dead give away, but certain events look different depending upon the person involved in it (kind of like how a football player can smack another football player on the *** in the middle of the field without being gay. In most other scenarios, that's a red flag).

Which brings us to the next subject. Yoshi.

For the most part, we don't even know if Yoshi's HAVE a sexuality. But you're also going to assume that he was paired with Birdo for pure gayness.

Your entire justification of Yoshi being gay is that he was paired with Birdo for one game.
You are strongly over exaggerating what I'm saying. I tried to make it very clear that the Yoshi's relationship with Birdo is very vague and subtle if it exists at all. You seem to be under the impression that I believe Yoshi and Birdo are together without question. Which is wrong, I can assure you.

In my defense however, I'd like to say that I've seen more hints at Yoshi and Birdo together (as slight as they may be), than, say, Mario and Peach (yeah, he saves her a whole bunch, but how often do you even see the two touching each other?)

My point is just that I think Yoshi and Birdo's relationship is a reasonable idea, not that it's cold, hard fact.

Sure. Maybe. Maybe it's also because Birdo is the only thing resembling Yoshi's species and would make a good team-mate since most of them tend to be similar in physical appearance.

Or they could be gay.

Yeah, your answer sounds better, I'm sure.
"My answer"? I don't have an answer. There IS no answer. I'm merely offering up the "they're in a relationship" idea as a possibility.

You really overreacted to my post. I don't know how I managed to fluster you so much.

[there are probably about a billion posts between this post and the one I'm quoting now, but oh well]

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
..All I have to say is that at least 100 out of 101 people hate gays. It's a true fact, I saw it on Wikipedia somewhere like a week ago.
lol, Wikipedia? You are aware that site can be edited by anyone correct? I guess if someone put "God is Satan's ***** " I guess it would be true because it's on wiki.

-Knight

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
lol, Wikipedia? You are aware that site can be edited by anyone correct? I guess if someone put "God is Satan's ***** " I guess it would be true because it's on wiki.

-Knight
I believed it, because it seems EXACTLY that way in real life. I litterally saw people burning Harry Potter books because Dumbledore was gay. No one in my school likes a gay person, unless I skipped someone calling another person a ***got.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I believed it, because it seems EXACTLY that way in real life. I litterally saw people burning Harry Potter books because Dumbledore was gay. No one in my school likes a gay person, unless I skipped someone calling another person a ***got.
Just because you live in an area where homosexuals are hated doesn't mean the entire world is like that.

We'd best refrain from getting into a larger discussion on the matter, though, since political/religious discussions of the sort are a sure way to get a thread locked.

Zevox

Rakath

Smash Ace
Donkey_Kong: Now hold on, this isn't a grasping at details deal. Fire Emblem games work on a fairly well designed system. Character gets A support, certain A supports end with love. If a character only has endings with only one gender, and if that games endings were ALL romantic endings, you can't just say 'oh, Ike's endings are all platonic, despite the limited set of endings and all the other ones being romantic'.

Ike has endings with Ranulf and Soren, now indeed it could simply be a case of friendship, however:
Fire Emblem 6: Roy's pair endings are marriages
Fire Emblem 7: Eliwood has 3 endings, all with girls, all marriages. Hector has 3 endings, all with girls and all marriages.
Fire Emblem 8: Eirika has 6 Endings, 5 males, all but 2 romantic. Ephraim has 4 Endings, 4 Females, all but 2 romantic (one of those two is questionable, not sure if its just NOA censorship or not with Myrrh).

So Ike has two endings, both males, and you argue both are simply platonic? Not exactly a fit for the series.

Donkey_Kong

Smash Cadet
A lot of text
You know, not every character in existence has to settle down. Not everyone is interested in romance. Some might just want to chill and hang out with their homies, sip a bud and watch the game, and not have to worry about that ****.

That sounds a bit more reasonable than lol gay.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Wow, I didn't know about that. o_o
There's a lot of debate over this.. lmao

Ike will never be the same to me..

Cless

Smash Champion
You can debate it back and forth, but unless it's explicitly stated, you can't really prove it. Ike could be gay, he could be bisexual, he could be straight, or he could just be uninterested in romantic relationships. You could also chalk it up to sexual immaturity. The only women Ike's really been around in his life before Greil dies are his mother, Mist, and Titania. Sure, it's most likely that he has a relationship with Soren or Ranulf, but we don't really know.

Donkey_Kong

Smash Cadet
dont edit my posts mr kong that's so immature
You'd be incredibly ****ing surprised about the Kaiba Yami thing, which I know of only because I had a girlfriend obsessed with the yaoi fanbase surrounding it, not too different from this.

In retrospect, she wasn't the brightest catch.

You are strongly over exaggerating what I'm saying. I tried to make it very clear that the Yoshi's relationship with Birdo is very vague and subtle if it exists at all. You seem to be under the impression that I believe Yoshi and Birdo are together without question. Which is wrong, I can assure you.

In my defense however, I'd like to say that I've seen more hints at Yoshi and Birdo together (as slight as they may be), than, say, Mario and Peach (yeah, he saves her a whole bunch, but how often do you even see the two touching each other?)

My point is just that I think Yoshi and Birdo's relationship is a reasonable idea, not that it's cold, hard fact.
Read this for a second and figure out how stupid this sounds.

Mario gets a kiss on the cheek after nearly every single game. Peach decorates a nice white cake with Mario and herself on top. Peach is ALWAYS at Mario's place, picking flowers or getting kidnapped or something. She always cheers Mario on in battle. And the only other human-like characters in the series are Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

Yoshi and Birdo played tennis once.

The fact that you can even INFER that a talking green dinosaur can be gay for a transvestite lizard/hula-hoop thing astounds and enrages me.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You'd be incredibly ****ing surprised about the Kaiba Yami thing
I can assure you, I wouldn't be. . . .

which I know of only because I had a girlfriend obsessed with the yaoi fanbase surrounding it, not too different from this.

In retrospect, she wasn't the brightest catch.
The origins of your yaoi knowledge don't really interest me.

Read this for a second and figure out how stupid this sounds.
Again, being needlessly rude to me. I didn't say anything offensive to you, at least nothing intentional. What's with the insults?

Mario gets a kiss on the cheek after nearly every single game.
This, I honestly didn't know. Apparently, I haven't been paying attention to the Mario games I actually do finish (which isn't many, I admit). I'll take back what I said about more implications for Yoshi and Birdo, but I don't think that makes Yoshi/Birdo and more odd an idea.

Peach decorates a nice white cake with Mario and herself on top. Peach is ALWAYS at Mario's place, picking flowers or getting kidnapped or something. She always cheers Mario on in battle. And the only other human-like characters in the series are Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.
This is all inconclusive. Cake and being the only female in the world (though you did leave out Daisy) ± Peach being Mario's lover. The kiss is more convincing, though even that COULD be construed as a simple, platonic thanks.

Yoshi and Birdo played tennis once.
And have you seen the artwork regarding the two of them in that game? Like I said, it's not conclusive, but they get awfully cozy together.

The fact that you can even INFER that a talking green dinosaur can be gay for a transvestite lizard/hula-hoop thing astounds and enrages me.
Well at least now I know why you're so upset by my flameless posts. I think it's sad that such a little thing as my opinion can "enrage" you, but I guess that's your prerogative.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Text that seems to indicate denial.
And if that was the case Ike wouldn't share an ending with anyone at all. So far every ending that's a pair I've read falls into one of these four catagories (and one I can't label without further research):

1. Love
2. Love that isn't meant to be, they fall in love but cannot be together.
3. Siblings (Ninian and Nils in 7, Ephraim and Eirika from 8)
4. Macus and Merlinus from FE7: Its a reference to them being Eliwood and later Roy's most useful and loyal vassals, however it could be love, dunno.
?. Tana and Eirika could be love heavily edited, but the suggestion they both have heirs that become best friends makes me need to find the Japanese text for their ending and have a friend translate it for me.

Now, since it isn't Marcus and Merlinus, they aren't in any way siblings, that leaves the first two. It could very well be Soren and Ranulf are gay and Ike is just uninterested in relationships. Could be they are lovers that travel the world. Could be that we all really need more in our lives...

Ike's endings could be platonic, or one-way love, or they could be mutual love. However your arguement is that Ike is just 'one of the guys' and seems to very much be based on your not wanting him to be gay. I rightly don't have a vested interest in what Ike dates, if he's straight, gay, bi, or pansexual it doesn't change how he fights nor how he looks. Can you entertain the idea he is gay without either suggesting the topic is stupid or trying to argue against 3 games worth of evidence to the contrary?

Cless

Smash Champion
It's probably 8 games worth of evidence, but I can't really say for sure. I'd be willing to chalk it up to sexual immaturity up until RD, but I haven't played all the way through that, so I don't know.

You know, why did we have to get Doki Doki Panic as SMB2? The only good thing that came out of that game was Shy Guys. So many Mario universe characters could just not be a part of Mario.

Top Bottom