• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

XACE-K

Smash Master
Even if Ike is gay,bi,etc. it doesn't matter. In Brawl, everyone fights and nothing else. Also on one of the pages, somebody said that when a girl hits on Ike, he rejects them. Well maybe he's the lone wolf type who wants to be alone.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Did my research, I now know what you're talking about, but No, Ike isn't gay.

Soren is just incredibly emotional, and he express all he's emotions at once.

Ike and Soren are just extremely close pals, they have fought 2(+) wars together, traveled around countless of miles, and shared blood sweat and tears.

You can compare this with a squadron of soldiers, you have no idea how attached they become to one another, its more than family!

So no, Ike isn't gay, he just has a close bond with Soren.
Nice job Pyro, knew he wasn't homosexual. It's just that they are really good friends, best friends basically. Like family and care about each other.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Now that I think of it, there are queer things in Brawl like what Pikachu is staring at in this picture.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
Wu Tang Gang is apparently a member of the Westboro Baptist Church...

For those of you who don't know who they are, they're a group of crazies based out of Topeka who protest at soldiers' funerals because they hate gays. They deserve to have the **** kicked out of them, and, as much as I am usually against it, Wu Tang Gang deserves to be ceaselessly and viciously flamed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Cless

Smash Champion
Because he's cool. Do you even know Ike's character, or are you just basing all of your opinions about him on the possibility that he MIGHT be gay? In the end, it's really up to each person whether or not he is.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Wu Tang Gang is apparently a member of the Westboro Baptist Church...

For those of you who don't know who they are, they're a group of crazies based out of Topeka who protest at soldiers' funerals because they hate gays. They deserve to have the **** kicked out of them, and, as much as I am usually against it, Wu Tang Gang deserves to be ceaselessly and viciously flamed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
I was actually thinking about trying to work in a Fred Phelps joke in response to one of his posts. But I figured it would probably be in bad taste, and if anything, steer this thread further off topic.

I'm still kind of glad you mentioned that though.

And anyone who hasn't heard of them (they were on some big news channels and such at one point, so you may have already) I do strongly suggest looking up some stuff about the way they treat those in their own family and what they do at solders' funerals and such. It's pretty disturbing, even if you don't support gay people.

Anyway, on the thread at hand, if Ike is gay (I've come to the conclusion after my attempts at research that his orientation is a solid "I don't know" at this point) then +1 diversity for Smash Bros. If he's not, then same ol', same ol', yeah?

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Okay then so you guys finally woke me up then.

Well I found it necessary to log in...here it is

-A Support-

Ike: Hey, Soren.
Soren: ...
Ike: I've been thinking a lot about what you said the other day, and there's
something I still don't understand. You survived. You're strong. Why would
you feel insecure about who you are? Tell me. Tell me everything.
Soren: Curse you! Why can't you leave me be?! I don't have any friends, Ike!
I don't have anyone else! If I tell you and you turn on me... I... I... I
don't think I can survive it.
Ike: That's why you have to tell me, Soren. You'll never tell anyone else.
And if you don't tell anyone, you're just going to keep suffering. Look at
you! You're a mess! Come on. Talk to me.
Soren: Ike... I... I...
Ike: Soren, it's me! Trust me. I don't give two figs who your parents are!
I'll stand by you.
Soren: Ike, I... sniff... No, I won't... sniff... Ah, Ike... ...I'm...
Branded. I'm one of the Branded.
Ike: A Branded? What's that?
Soren: It's a cross between a beorc and a laguz. Such a taboo violates
every teaching of the goddess. And of society. We are untouchables.
Abominations. Condemned to a life of hatred and shunning from both races.
Ike: Wait, wait. Hold it a second. Let me make sure that I follow you...
You're part laguz?
Soren: Yeah. This mark on my forehead is the proof. I learned about it
while researching ancient books at the Mainal Cathedral. I always thought it
was a birthmark. Others thought that it was the mark of a Spirit Charmer.
Ike: What's a Spirit Charmer?
Soren: Magic comes from interaction with spirits. If you let one into your
body, it will give you tremendous power... for a price. That's why the old
sage was so interested in me. He thought I had struck such a deal. But
instead, I was just a filthy Branded.
Ike: All right. I understand. So?
Soren: ...What do you mean, "so?"
Ike: So, you have laguz blood in your veins. So, you have a mark to prove it.
So... What's the problem?
Soren: What's the problem...? Don't you find me repugnant!? I work beside you,
eat beside you. I'm nothing! I don't belong anywhere! Doesn't that sicken you?
Ike: No. It doesn't change anything. You're still you, Soren! You're a capable
officer of our army. And my friend. We can't keep going unless you are with
us.
Soren: ...Ike... I thought... I thought you...
Ike: What?
Soren: It was Gallia. The sage lived in Gallia. A few beorcs had settled there
and...
Ike: Gallia? Are you saying...
Soren: When the sage died, no one would help me. I couldn't speak. Couldn't
find food. I was dying. You were the only one who helped. You and your father.
That's why you're my friend. My... only friend.

-

So the basic gist of it ironically is that Ike is accepting of Soren no matter what kind of a person he is, given the topic at hand I find this oddly apt; anyhow back to the topic. Here we see two people sharing an emotional talk, this is not to say only people in relationships can hold emotional talks such as this, friends can and do talk like this at times. Also of note here is the apparent way in which Soren seems to regard Ike in...
-
-

Soren literally had no one to care for him or even be his friend. That's when Ike came along and the two made a strong friendship, on Soren's part because up until Ike he had had no one that would care if he died or not, this is why you see Soren get so emotional in this support conversation; Soren's practically never had a friend in his life before Ike. I bet you even in the Japanese version theres hardly anything changed, I'll bet you the conversation is just like the English one here, Soren and Ike are probably not saying things like "I love you" or "Let's be together." If anything the conversation really strikes me as something of a Gaara/Naruto friendship type of thing. All of Gaara's life he was only feared and looked down upon, then Naruto came and saw Gaara being not unlike himself and this caused Gaara to for the first time have a friend, which is why they're such good friends, the originatior of this topic is probably an avid fan of NarutoXGaara yaoi for all we know, solely because of what I have said about the two previously. "OMG NARUTO MADE GAARA GOOD, CLEARLY LOVERS!"

Just because someone -really- cares about a friendship with a friend does not make them homosexual. I mean really, come on...

"What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure" -BigTru

HAVE YOU finished RD with both A supports, you say it's edited in the North American version, but you don't know to what extent, and yet you still make room for yourself to say that you KNOW Ike is gay? I particularly don't care if Ike is gay or not, I'd actually think it'd be neat to have such a badass looking dude actually be gay, but the fact of the matter is that just like BigTru here opens the thread by outright stating it as if it were fact that Ike was gay; so can we state it as fact Ike not being gay. And that there is what this is all truly about, it's not about wether his purported gayness is wrong or not, it's about BigTru saying Ike is indeed gay without he himself giving proof AND on the first post contradicting himself. So I'll let mine go down for record. Ike is not gay, think about it, if you were in the same situation and some guy had killed your dad; would you spend your life trying to exact revenge or looking for a nice girl to settle down with, this might explain why he bo? If one REALLY starts to think about things like these you'll see what is and what is not.

So rounding off, the mandatory Wikipedia quote.

"If two characters with a mutual romantic attraction, strong friendship, or other form of mutual connection engage in three support conversations throughout the game, the result will sometimes affect the game's ending.[16] Depending on the characters involved, such results could include marriage, a deepening of friendship, or a continued pursuit of their ongoing relationship."

And ending about the extremely large post. One last piece, just a piece of the support conversation A, Ike and Elincia.

-
Elincia: Oh...er...that? That was...um... I was trying to fit in, my lord
Ike. To be rough and capable like the rest of you.
Ike: You caught me off guard with that one.
Elincia: Hee hee! It brings back memories. When I fled the capital and was
told about Crimea's defeat in Gallia... I prepared myself to live in crushing,
colorless despair for the rest of my days. But when I look back, I can see
there were some warm rays of hope...poking through.
Ike: You're right...
Elincia: Tomorrow, I will face King Daein and reclaim Crimea...or die in the
attempt. It is the only thing on my mind.
Ike: You employed me as a mercenary. I'll give you your money's worth!
...No. It means more than that... To my last breath, I will do all that I can
to ensure your dream...Elincia.
Elincia: Oh, Ike...
-

If you ask me, there's more evidence of a girlfriend/boyfriend type relationship in there than in Ike's and Soren's. Soren really just is attached to his best friend due to circumstances and Ike is genuinely worried about -his- best friend.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
I don't recall Lethe ever hitting on Ike.... but it's been a while since I played, so... yeah...
-
Lethe: When this war is over, you should... Why don't you come to Gallia? I
mean, not like I care, but-
Ike: Gallia?
Lethe: Right! Well, you could learn even more if you trained in Gallia. It's
hard living for a beorc. But if you can handle it, you could take the
swordsmanship that runs in your blood to another level.
Ike: Only if you're my sparring partner!
Lethe: Meh... Well, if you that's what you want... I guess I'd be all right
with that.
Ike: Then life in Gallia may not be so bad.
Lethe: Oh? Well, good. It's settled then. Come see us whenever you're
ready. I might even...look forward to it.
Ike: You have my word.
-

Now there, thats something we can base some form of relationship of interest between two people from. Not what BigTru is giving us, without proof or support to back up his claims, mind you.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
It is true, but like all other FE conversations, it ONLY happens if you get it under certain circumstances. Ike can support with Soren, and If they get an A support, this happens. Meanwhile, in RD, if Sothe Supports with Micaiah and has an A support, they marry. But if Sothe gets an A support with someone like Laura, they can marry. It's all according to the user, and Ike doesn't have to be homosexual.

My question is what is everyone's opinion of the matter of including a strictly homosexual character in Brawl?
LOL STRICTLY HOMOSEXUAL

He can marry lethe in PoR if you get the supports. Seriously, he CAN be homosexual, but you can make it so that he isn't.

And how does Ike being homosexual actually make a difference in brawl? "OMG I HATE GAY GUYS IM NOT BUYING IT"

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
And how does Ike being homosexual actually make a difference in brawl? "OMG I HATE GAY GUYS IM NOT BUYING IT"
You know, you joke about it, but I'm sure there are people out there who are in that exact mindset. Whether Ike is "officially" gay or not, if the rumor reaches the wrong ears, that person may indeed be bigoted enough not to buy the game (or at the very least, never use Ike).

Not that I really care, since it's their loss. Just saying. It seems ridiculous, but there are people who are that intolerant in the world.

Cless

Smash Champion
No one gets into any kind of relationship at the end of PoR.

It seems ridiculous, but there are people who are that intolerant in the world.
Hello, welcome to the internet. Is this your first time here? May I direct you to a website called 4chan? (sorry if I come off as a ****, but nothing I see surprises me anymore)

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, firstly, they say that they are brother and sister. Secondly, they really aren't related. They go out of their way in the instruction manual to imply that. Thirdly, incestuous relationships in Fire Emblem are hardly new. Lastly, that's how things worked in medieval times to keep the blood noble and all that.

I think if you researched human history a bit, you would want to burn all history books with your logic.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
No one gets into any kind of relationship at the end of PoR.

Hello, welcome to the internet. Is this your first time here? May I direct you to a website called 4chan? (sorry if I come off as a ****, but nothing I see surprises me anymore)
Agreed. That was kind of my point in responding to Zoo. It's not shocking, just kind of. . . well, like I said, ridiculous that people actually are that way. Zoo joked about people not buying Brawl because of a rumored gay character, but the sad part is, that's a true possibility.

Also, Wu Tang, I'd like to know what kind of purpose you'd have for burning the game (even though I'm sure you're not serious). It's not like that'll make any of the incest that may or may not be suggested in there go away.

Tigro

Smash Rookie
Well I found it necessary to log in...here it is

-A Support-

Ike: Hey, Soren.
Soren: ...
Ike: I've been thinking a lot about what you said the other day, and there's
something I still don't understand. You survived. You're strong. Why would
you feel insecure about who you are? Tell me. Tell me everything.
Soren: Curse you! Why can't you leave me be?! I don't have any friends, Ike!
I don't have anyone else! If I tell you and you turn on me... I... I... I
don't think I can survive it.
Ike: That's why you have to tell me, Soren. You'll never tell anyone else.
And if you don't tell anyone, you're just going to keep suffering. Look at
you! You're a mess! Come on. Talk to me.
Soren: Ike... I... I...
Ike: Soren, it's me! Trust me. I don't give two figs who your parents are!
I'll stand by you.
Soren: Ike, I... sniff... No, I won't... sniff... Ah, Ike... ...I'm...
Branded. I'm one of the Branded.
Ike: A Branded? What's that?
Soren: It's a cross between a beorc and a laguz. Such a taboo violates
every teaching of the goddess. And of society. We are untouchables.
Abominations. Condemned to a life of hatred and shunning from both races.
Ike: Wait, wait. Hold it a second. Let me make sure that I follow you...
You're part laguz?
Soren: Yeah. This mark on my forehead is the proof. I learned about it
while researching ancient books at the Mainal Cathedral. I always thought it
was a birthmark. Others thought that it was the mark of a Spirit Charmer.
Ike: What's a Spirit Charmer?
Soren: Magic comes from interaction with spirits. If you let one into your
body, it will give you tremendous power... for a price. That's why the old
sage was so interested in me. He thought I had struck such a deal. But
instead, I was just a filthy Branded.
Ike: All right. I understand. So?
Soren: ...What do you mean, "so?"
Ike: So, you have laguz blood in your veins. So, you have a mark to prove it.
So... What's the problem?
Soren: What's the problem...? Don't you find me repugnant!? I work beside you,
eat beside you. I'm nothing! I don't belong anywhere! Doesn't that sicken you?
Ike: No. It doesn't change anything. You're still you, Soren! You're a capable
officer of our army. And my friend. We can't keep going unless you are with
us.
Soren: ...Ike... I thought... I thought you...
Ike: What?
Soren: It was Gallia. The sage lived in Gallia. A few beorcs had settled there
and...
Ike: Gallia? Are you saying...

-

So the basic gist of it ironically is that Ike is accepting of Soren no matter what kind of a person he is, given the topic at hand I find this oddly apt; anyhow back to the topic. Here we see two people sharing an emotional talk, this is not to say only people in relationships can hold emotional talks such as this, friends can and do talk like this at times. Also of note here is the apparent way in which Soren seems to regard Ike in...
-
-

Soren literally had no one to care for him or even be his friend. That's when Ike came along and the two made a strong friendship, on Soren's part because up until Ike he had had no one that would care if he died or not, this is why you see Soren get so emotional in this support conversation; Soren's practically never had a friend in his life before Ike. I bet you even in the Japanese version theres hardly anything changed, I'll bet you the conversation is just like the English one here, Soren and Ike are probably not saying things like "I love you" or "Let's be together." If anything the conversation really strikes me as something of a Gaara/Naruto friendship type of thing. All of Gaara's life he was only feared and looked down upon, then Naruto came and saw Gaara being not unlike himself and this caused Gaara to for the first time have a friend, which is why they're such good friends, the originatior of this topic is probably an avid fan of NarutoXGaara yaoi for all we know, solely because of what I have said about the two previously. "OMG NARUTO MADE GAARA GOOD, CLEARLY LOVERS!"

Just because someone -really- cares about a friendship with a friend does not make them homosexual. I mean really, come on...

"What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure" -BigTru

HAVE YOU finished RD with both A supports, you say it's edited in the North American version, but you don't know to what extent, and yet you still make room for yourself to say that you KNOW Ike is gay? I particularly don't care if Ike is gay or not, I'd actually think it'd be neat to have such a badass looking dude actually be gay, but the fact of the matter is that just like BigTru here opens the thread by outright stating it as if it were fact that Ike was gay; so can we state it as fact Ike not being gay. And that there is what this is all truly about, it's not about wether his purported gayness is wrong or not, it's about BigTru saying Ike is indeed gay without he himself giving proof AND on the first post contradicting himself. So I'll let mine go down for record. Ike is not gay, think about it, if you were in the same situation and some guy had killed your dad; would you spend your life trying to exact revenge or looking for a nice girl to settle down with, this might explain why he bo? If one REALLY starts to think about things like these you'll see what is and what is not.

So rounding off, the mandatory Wikipedia quote.

"If two characters with a mutual romantic attraction, strong friendship, or other form of mutual connection engage in three support conversations throughout the game, the result will sometimes affect the game's ending.[16] Depending on the characters involved, such results could include marriage, a deepening of friendship, or a continued pursuit of their ongoing relationship."

And ending about the extremely large post. One last piece, just a piece of the support conversation A, Ike and Elincia.

-
Elincia: Oh...er...that? That was...um... I was trying to fit in, my lord
Ike. To be rough and capable like the rest of you.
Ike: You caught me off guard with that one.
Elincia: Hee hee! It brings back memories. When I fled the capital and was
told about Crimea's defeat in Gallia... I prepared myself to live in crushing,
colorless despair for the rest of my days. But when I look back, I can see
there were some warm rays of hope...poking through.
Ike: You're right...
Elincia: Tomorrow, I will face King Daein and reclaim Crimea...or die in the
attempt. It is the only thing on my mind.
Ike: You employed me as a mercenary. I'll give you your money's worth!
...No. It means more than that... To my last breath, I will do all that I can
to ensure your dream...Elincia.
Elincia: Oh, Ike...
-

If you ask me, there's more evidence of a girlfriend/boyfriend type relationship in there than in Ike's and Soren's. Soren really just is attached to his best friend due to circumstances and Ike is genuinely worried about -his- best friend.
You win. It's very common for a deep bond to form between two friends (yes, male-to-male) in Japanese media / culture, so its not very surprising to see Ike and Soren share such a thing. In my personal opinion, Ike is just a modest, honorable guy. I don't think Ike's gay, but even if he was, it wouldn't change my perspective of him.

Basically, I think Ike is straight, just humble. I think alot of you are looking wayyy too deeply into this. Ike is a lone-wolf, he does what he wants, yo.

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
Incest is still being used as a way to keep the money in the family, so you'd think that it would be even more common in the middle-ages.

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
*Spoilers*

So for those of you who haven't played through the Japanese PoR and RD and unlocked the A conversation for Soren and ending or picked up on the numerous subtle hints plotted throughout the story, Ike is indeed homosexual, though he definitely isn't the first in the Fire Emblem series which is riddled with cases of incest and homosexuality.

My question is what is everyone's opinion of the matter of including a strictly homosexual character in Brawl?

I can definitely see some soccer moms tripping out about the matter if they found out, but I honestly don't care. I don't think Sakurai is going to make any references to Ike's homosexuality but even if they did, isn't this game slated to be a "T" game? Or am I mistaken? And I don't mean to be political about the matter, but I don't think homosexuality is an inappropriate thing even in a game that's made by Nintendo marketed to youth. Homosexuality is growing becoming more and more accepted. I myself am not homosexual, but I see no problem with Ike's inclusion in SSBB.

What's everyone else's feelings? Or have not enough of you finished RD with both A supports? I know for sure it's edited in the North American version, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I think there's still a subtle reference.
There is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but you got the wrong idea. Ike is straight. And yes,
I have played the games and read the convos. You are over analyzing and it sickens me to the
core. Uchiharakiri has the right idea though.

Im not a noob:newbie:

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
The thought of Ike being a homosexual sickens you to the core? Pretty tolerant attitude you got there.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Yea BigTru is just jumping to conclusions without showing us good proof that shows that he is homosexual with Soren. Ike just comforts Soren which normal friends do all the time, thats what friends are for, they help each other in their hour of need etc. If you don't understand the meaning of that, then I duno know about you man.........

Even if there is homosexuality, Ike is still cool. But during the convos, it seems that Ike is just comforting Soren, and Soren is the one that is more emotional, so it would be more of Soren than Ike.

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
IIRC Soren dissapears into undiscovered lands together with Ike if you got an A support in bot PoR and RD. Off course we have no idea what they're doing there >_>

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
IIRC Soren dissapears into undiscovered lands together with Ike if you got an A support in bot PoR and RD. Off course we have no idea what they're doing there >_>
They go travelling together..........simple as that.........
What you're thinking of I don't want to know about............

Cless

Smash Champion
Umm, Ike and Stefan are the only ones who know Soren is a Branded. Well, Petrene did too, but she's dead. So essentially, the only people that know Soren is a Branded are other Branded and Ike, unless that changes in RD.

Top Bottom