• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I have a slow right thumb.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
What I mean by a slow thumb is...I can't Shorthop 100% of the time with Fox.
So I Shorthop with the control stick, Nair with Z, and Shine with my right thumb. I also SHDL by shorthopping with the control stick. SHFFLing is really really easy for me.

Anybody else do this?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I have the opposite problem. Slow left thumb. I can SHDL with the right thumb (consistently) without changing positions or anything like that. But I can't even short hop with the control stick. >.> AT ALL, If I do it like 20 times I might get it once.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I started off with the control stick, then as I progressed I gradually switched over to doing all my jumping with Y. Jumping with the control stick doesn't give you as much distance as if you jump with one of the buttons.

If you SH nair with Y you can hold forward and get max distance from your jump. If you do it with the control stick you have to tap up then forward, and oftentimes you don't get the reach you need to fully connect with your opponent.

Using X/Y also means that you can do back aerials moving forward at max distance, and SHDL reverse at max distance as well.

Eventually, you'll start to see that the only thing SH with the control stick is good for is SHDL is place. : /

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
I've always jumped with X/Y...until I started playing Fox. I can shorthop with X/Y about 75% of the time. So if I'm doing something that I for sure need to shorthop, I'll use the control stick.

d snyde

Smash Apprentice
I can hardly shorthop anytime so you guys rock! I just cant get down shorthopping.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Its easier to shorthop wiht X/Y

I have the same problem.. =[
I can't do shinebair, SHDL, the really fast waveshines in place. Hell, I can't even FHTL (Full hop triple laser) without trying harder than usual

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I do everything with control stick, the only time i use Y is to wavedash
And I regret learning the game this way
I am still ABLE to do everything, but some stuff is a lot harder, JC grabs are harder then they should be, jc shines are harder, but doable. SHDL is super easy, shine bair yayaya is easy. But you cant escape the fact that short hopping with control stick will ALWAYS result in slightly less control and distance, no matter how fast you are

superman969

Smash Journeyman
I also apparently have a slow thumb. I don't main Fox, but he just looks so dayum flashy that I started picking up some tricks. But I can't move my thumb from B to Y fast enough to waveshine consistently....help plz? (and yes, I can wavedash normally consistently)

now that I think of it, is this one of those things where I should hold my controller in the claw kinda grip thing where the right index finger is on Y? Or should I just try using X instead of Y?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I also apparently have a slow thumb. I don't main Fox, but he just looks so dayum flashy that I started picking up some tricks. But I can't move my thumb from B to Y fast enough to waveshine consistently....help plz? (and yes, I can wavedash normally consistently)

now that I think of it, is this one of those things where I should hold my controller in the claw kinda grip thing where the right index finger is on Y? Or should I just try using X instead of Y?
PRACTICE. You don't need to claw, and you don't need to switch to X if your used to using Y. Repitition and muscle memory allow you to waveshine well.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
play guitar hero, you'll right thumb will get faster and stronger
I actually lol'd. But yeah, I can do experto. Can't beat TTFAF tho...

But if I take my thumb off of B, doesn't it drop the shine before I can jump cancel it? Oh well, I'll get back to practicing. See, this is why I main Marth / Jiggs: my tech skill suuucks

Killress

Smash Ace
What I mean by a slow thumb is...I can't Shorthop 100% of the time with Fox.
So I Shorthop with the control stick, Nair with Z, and Shine with my right thumb. I also SHDL by shorthopping with the control stick. SHFFLing is really really easy for me.

Anybody else do this?
Does shorthoping with the control stick hinder your DI and gameplay at all? I'm curious.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
It does hinder your DI a bit.

I play a lot of Falcon/Y. Link, and I can do about 3 Walljump Bairs in a row on FD. Just to say how fast I can move the control stick.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
ive actually decided to start practicing my left thumb through dashdancing with sheik on 2.x and jc:ing shines with the control stick, cuz my slow left thumb has started to become a big problem for me. im super awesome

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It does hinder your DI a bit.

I play a lot of Falcon/Y. Link, and I can do about 3 Walljump Bairs in a row on FD. Just to say how fast I can move the control stick.
What are you talking about? It doesn't hinder your d.i. at all. Jumping has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Does shorthoping with the control stick hinder your DI and gameplay at all? I'm curious.

The only thing SHing with the control stick does is sometimes nerf your SHFFL distances. If you use X/Y, you can press the appropriate jump button WHILE holding forward then attack. With the control stick, you have to tap up then quickly rotate the stick and hold forward.

If you don't rotate the stick immediately, you'll get a SH with about half as much distance as you want...and in general, full distance ones are the most useful. I used to jump using the stick when I first started, so I can tell you this from personal experience.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Before I learned that melee had a competitive side, I jumped only with the control stick. When I started learning advanced techniques, I was switching around characters a lot. When I finally picked up Fox I couldn't to anything technical with him besides jump canceling the shine. I couldn't short hop for the life of me. When I REALLY tried my hardest, I could short hop, but not on command or consistantly. I'm pretty sure you know how fast you have to hit y/x to shorthop, and you probably think that it isn't worth the trouble and it will take forever to be able to do it. Your right, except the forever part. Shorthopping with fox is as hard as you think, but once you practice it enough it will become easy. Then you get to tackle the bigger beast, shuffling. You can do it!

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
In order to shorthop with Fox, I grew a thumbnail in order to just flick the X button. 100% shorthop. I use Z for all Shffls except for Dair, b/c then I do it too fast and miss the fast fall. For Dair, I use A. For SHDL, try warming up to get your fingers a little sweaty in order to slip from y to b. With that, I learned SHDL within a few days of hard practice. That's the only time I use Y, everything else is X.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I just do what's comfy. I think many, if not most, wavedash with Y and R. I use X and L. The left index serves no other purpose, unless you ColBol claw. I pretty much never use R.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
...you jump and shoot with the same finger....how the HELL do you do that iwth ur left thumb? that sounds incredibly uncomfortable

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
It's all about the Y>B>B. Learned SHDL in 2 short days. I don't think you should EVER take you left thumb off of the control stick.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Don't worry; it took me a good while before I could do it. If you're not already doing it, try sliding from y to b. You could try to jump with the control stick (tap up) and shoot double lasers. I heard it was easier, but you're kinda glued to that spot if you decide to learn it like this.

Edit: Lol @ your avatar. Orange...XD

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I probably got it so fast because I was working hard at it for awhile, and my thumbs got sweaty. Easier to slide that way. That, and I have pretty long thumbs, if that matters.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
After practicing sliding for a long time, I ended up getting a worn thumb which hurt; the layers of my skin were worn off. That wasn't so great. I haven't practiced it in a long while, so I probably suck at it again. :(

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Just put part of your thumb on B, and the tip of your thumb on Y. Gently press Y and shift the weight of your finger and press B with the middle of your thumb.

The stretch isn't impossible, and this method makes it 100x easier.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
for SHDL you dont have to even slide...if you learn to be fast enough you can just...imput like normal

Zone

Smash Champion
I use X for everything on fox. I use y for multishines in place, I use control stick for shdl, and the control stick for b-air out of shine. I wish I had started playing the game with Y. but oh well. You should see how I play Falco >.> I play like i'm typing on the computer.

Top Bottom