• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I have a slow right thumb.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
I use X for everything on fox. I use y for multishines in place, I use control stick for shdl, and the control stick for b-air out of shine. I wish I had started playing the game with Y. but oh well. You should see how I play Falco >.> I play like i'm typing on the computer.
I really want to see that.

Zone

Smash Champion
Why the Y button? I use the control stick.
Because, you can hold down on the control stick, and just alternate from Y to B really fast to multishine, or use Y then Z to grab, rather than trying to hit up on the control stick and hit Z. Control stick just helps you DI your moves, so you can do things ike retreating aerials toward your enemy.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
My fault, he said "I'm trying to JC shines with the Y button," not "I'm trying to DO JC shines with the Y button." I thought he meant just a normal jump-cancel out of shine. I use Y for multi-shining, too.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
If your thumb is too slow you should consider learning to claw (right index on Y, middle on Z, ring on R, thumb on C-stick / B / A). I can't waveshine, SHDL, FJTL, SHFFL aerials quickly, etc. if I use a conventional grip. I mean I can play Marth or CF with normal grip but Fox? Forget about it.

Clawing I can do pretty much every tech there is with good consistency. My SHFFLs are fast and clean, my waveshines are fast, I can drillshine infinite (cpus anyway), I can do reverse SHDL, shine stall on the edge, shineturned bair, etc.

It's so much easier it's ridiculous.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
*Tries out claw on controller* I don't know how you claw people do it. Maybe it's because I have long fingers already. Doesn't that grip get uncomfortable for your index?

ja_ov

Smash Cadet
just type a lot of long replies like thus onec using nothing but your right thumb for typing all the long words oh and use really pretentious words becaause they tend to be longer and youll get more thumb exercise if you use long words inyour long posats.

No, but seriously: I had this same problem when I jammed my thumb. I couldn't SHDL or SHFFL, hell, it was hard to do empty, standing short hops. But I just kept practicing and actually exercising my thumb by wiggling it around when not playing Melee. Sure enough, it actually worked. Within a few weeks I was able to short hop consistenly again. It just takes a lot of practice and determination.

Also, if anyone sees you in public, staring intently at your right hand as you wiggle your thumb around and they call you weird, its because their lame. Lame-*****. Hmph.

(I'm not weird . . . )

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I practiced these movements on my controller while I was watching TV. It helped me to get more of a feel for the game.

Top Bottom