• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how do you avoid your opponent stealing your bananas?

Marth Xero

Smash Cadet
Especially against characters with reflectors, what mindgames or techniques do you use to be able to use bananas without them being used against you?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
For reflectors, glide toss down and up a lot of times to grabs and tilts. Against other people I suggest you space them properly. Have them near you at all times and if they aren't don't try to go after them. Your opponent will know this and while you focus on the bananas you will get hit by them.

Don't go after bananas if they are near your opponent. Just SH Air dodge if your opponent has one, or dash attack, but that is more situational. Lastly always have one banana in your hand and keep them near each other.

ADHD

Smash Hero
For reflectors there is no good way to get around them, you just have to be very careful with how you throw them. And for falco, if they think they can spam the reflector then just jump in the air throw it anywhere and fair him in the face

As for banana stealers, it's even harder when it comes to people as fast as MK but dribbling and careful spacing can help. Watch Gamedragon's diddy he spaced really well and made it hard for his opponents to get at them

Count

Smash Champion
In my opinion the main point is to keep the pressure on. The more pressure, the less your opponent can think about getting your bananas. Secondly, as mentioned before, throwing bananas up and down is extremely underrated.

This coming from an average diddy :).

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
As everyone else has said, throwing up and down is very useful, however, do it with a purpose not just randomly. Also glide toss backwards, especially if your opponent has a banana and your both trying to make the other slip first. Theirs will conveniently land right in front of you.

One other thing: Rocket barrels. You'll see ninjalink use them as banana counters in his vids and it's actually really useful. When an opponent gets a banana and its obvious he's gonna throw it, start charging those rockets. The cancel from getting hit by the banana is very short and leaves you less vulnerable than an actual slip and there's a good chance your opponent will take a barrel to the face (which does good damage and knockback). Only problem is if they catch themselves before they throw it and you have to just let off the barrels. Not a huge deal though, just let go of the b button as soon as you realize they're not gonna throw it and fast fall away from them.

IDK

Smash Lord
@ Buda: when you rocketbarrel counter be sure you aren't at KO percentage though... because the opponent can mindgame you into barrel countering and wait... and kill...

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
@ Buda: when you rocketbarrel counter be sure you aren't at KO percentage though... because the opponent can mindgame you into barrel countering and wait... and kill...
Agreed. As with any counter (and much more so with the rocket barrel counter), it is easily punished if you become predictable with it. Be sure to mix up all the above techniques for fighting opponents with bananas with the rocket counter. As with marth or lucario, using a counter as a defense when at high percents, after you have done it several times, is a death wish. Diddy is no different.

Also, be sure to utilize the landing banana pick up (don't know if theres a technical name for it) as well as your running attack, when reclaiming bananas (or just picking up your own for that matter). It has an almost seamless transition into a glide toss and makes the flow of your offense even quicker when you find yourself air-born for other reasons and landing near a banana.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Dribble a lot for mindgames, though glide tossing with two nanerz can help increase pressure on the opponent, and as stated above, pressure is good. Avoid throwing them carelessly against reflecto yielding characters, to those characters that can obtain the nanerz a lot easier by using the DA, you have to keep close to them, preferably use Monkey Flips for quick surprises and space them away from nanerz.

Slurpee

Smash Rookie
Just use them constantly. Never leave your nanners unnatended. If you no longer want them, throw them off the edge, if you want to avoid them being grabbed or reflectored in midair, be aggresive and do the unexpected.

If ever the opponent gets it, get it back quick.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I try to never let my bananas chill on the ground while I'm fighting, it's smart to always know where they are, and where they're going to land. I generally keep my bananas in the air, and in my hands, that way my opponent doesn't really have access to the bananas period.

This is a problem against characters with good / spammy projectiles, like Link or TL, I find it awfully difficult to have major control over my bananas against him.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Against the Starfox characters, I never leave my bananas on the ground. Fighting me as one of them I would find rather amusing, as I spend most of my match flying back and forth throwing my signs bananas up and down. At certain moments I throw them at my opponent and strike accordingly.
Although I tend to go my entire first stock without a banana.

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
when i play characters with reflectors i try to throw it at them where i'm at a distance so if they reflect it, it wont hit me. then if they do reflect it, i do a running A to pick it up which usually works.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
bait them with one banana and let them grab one since you can just powershield to block it and throw the banana in hand then pick up the other. its just easier this way IMO

Megamegaman

Smash Apprentice
how can I grab that without stoping my dash ?

sometimes they toss it on me and I can grab it again but I don't know how do I do this =/

hahhaha

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
just play normally imo. your opponent isn't going to beat you by reflecting bananas at you. you might take a couple hits but who cares, you're going to hit them with bananas more than they will hit you.

DUB

Smash Lord
I didn't see anything about the Popgun in all these posts. It's a good method to trick your opponent into thinking your throwing a banana. If they start to catch on, you always have Pop Gun cancel into GT.

Popgun= Win

Top Bottom