• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So does Samus suck now, or am I missing somthing

BUNI

Smash Apprentice
people are always gonna say stuff like that about samus in brawl no matter what .... just hold your head up and let them eat lazer whip. :)

but yea.... its really hard to pull off a good tournament samus compared to other characters... but I think most samus users now are sort of determined to stick to samus anyways just cuz they love the games so much... ^^
Yea i have love Metroid since Metroid(NES) and stuck with Samus in every Smash game, but now i love Zero Suit aswell. Besides, I loved Metroid: Zero Mission.

Aphelion Kukai

Smash Rookie
It was one of the first things I noticed when I got brawl. Samus it just a hole lot weaker on the whole. At first I told myself I just needed to adapt to the new game but its been a couple mounts now. I've throughly adapted my Jigs and Peach, my Zelda got a automatic boost and not much adaption was needed. Samus however still seems to lose horribly. I don't know what to do now. I don't want to drop her, she's my favorite character, always has been from going back to the 64 days. But now I even have difficulty defeating a L9 CPU with her. I'm in desperate need of advice.
you're missing everything, dude

Gum

Smash Journeyman
If you win with Samus, then you dont have to worry about the question of whether or not she sucks. I win win her consistently in and out of tourneys, so for me she is just fine. Look at it as a personal goal. If she is your character, use her until you figure it out.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
So people are pissed at Gum because he does well with Samus and they don't?

Sounds about right.

Siyro

Smash Journeyman
I was amazed at the new Samus. I was a really great player on Melee, then along came Brawl. Samus was my main in Melee and i was a formidable for my friends Falco. However in Brawl some things have been removed such as missile cancelling and some of her knockback. Samus has appears to have been nerfed for people who did play samus. Until they adjust. I still try to missile cancel (Big mistake), and it has put me off playing Samus for now until i can learn again. However she may not be my main anymore.

Astrobuoy

Smash Rookie
quite a feisty thread this one...

I my humble non-tourney-winning-noodle-eating opinion Samus is a very capable but tricky to use characther.

Samus players must be able to space, and intergrate their projectile game in with their approaches. I think learning to use her projectiles to space and limit the opponents options is just as important as the damage they do. Learning to set ppl up for the bair and dair is essential to getting KOs, also dtilt can kill at reasonable percentages. Samus is capable but requires a well rounded game. Some prefer the naked aggression and speed of the MKs and Space animals etc, and may not have the patience for what Samus requires. So I don't expect her to rate too highly on tier lists, but I think she can punch above her weight if used correctly.

Gum - not trying to provoke, just trying to be light hearted... I agree with almost everything you say regarding Samus - except the high tier bit... I think her learning curve and lack of vertical KO move prevents any high tier hopes. But only time will tell. I think the leading Samus mains of the future will incorporate a little Zero suit action, the surprise, speed and projectiles provided could help her out. (Only they'll have to retire early from RSI from that taunt transform...)

anyway, hot chick in a funky space suit made by ancient space chickens? if that doesn't appeal to you then there's no pleasing you... (except taking the suit off perhaps.)

Gum

Smash Journeyman
quite a feisty thread this one...

I my humble non-tourney-winning-noodle-eating opinion Samus is a very capable but tricky to use characther.

Samus players must be able to space, and intergrate their projectile game in with their approaches. I think learning to use her projectiles to space and limit the opponents options is just as important as the damage they do. Learning to set ppl up for the bair and dair is essential to getting KOs, also dtilt can kill at reasonable percentages. Samus is capable but requires a well rounded game. Some prefer the naked aggression and speed of the MKs and Space animals etc, and may not have the patience for what Samus requires. So I don't expect her to rate too highly on tier lists, but I think she can punch above her weight if used correctly.

Gum - not trying to provoke, just trying to be light hearted... I agree with almost everything you say regarding Samus - except the high tier bit... I think her learning curve and lack of vertical KO move prevents any high tier hopes. But only time will tell. I think the leading Samus mains of the future will incorporate a little Zero suit action, the surprise, speed and projectiles provided could help her out. (Only they'll have to retire early from RSI from that taunt transform...)

anyway, hot chick in a funky space suit made by ancient space chickens? if that doesn't appeal to you then there's no pleasing you... (except taking the suit off perhaps.)
You are definitly right. My whole thing with the high tier thing was that, in terms of her character attributes and given a patient and well-rounded player, she has the potential to be high tier. Thats not to say that she will be high tier.

In terms of her KO ability, i know its not amazing, but I strive to get kills form spikes and gimps so for me personally her KO ability isnt a big deal because I make a conscious effort to nullify it by getting kills by other means.

Astrobuoy

Smash Rookie
yep - her home is definitely on the edge... spikes, gimps, bairs... and keep that charge shot primed for the right moment...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Super Metroid, anyone? Samus' Grappling Beam comes out and returns really, really fast. Why not the same for Brawl? :dizzy:
I realize this conversation is over and done with, but I just want to say that if Samus had any of the actual abilities she has in the Metroid games, she'd be unbeatable. As it is, she has pale imitations of the moves she has in her games.

I still think she should be able to crawl in her morphball, giving her the fastest crawl in the game, and the smallest hurtbox while crawling. That would do wonders for Samus, IMO. It'd make me have a nerdgasm if she could roll up, and then be faster than a full walk, since that happens in a lot of Metroid games.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I realize this conversation is over and done with, but I just want to say that if Samus had any of the actual abilities she has in the Metroid games, she'd be unbeatable. As it is, she has pale imitations of the moves she has in her games.

I still think she should be able to crawl in her morphball, giving her the fastest crawl in the game, and the smallest hurtbox while crawling. That would do wonders for Samus, IMO. It'd make me have a nerdgasm if she could roll up, and then be faster than a full walk, since that happens in a lot of Metroid games.
Samus for god-tier, ph00tbag. :laugh: I agree with you that it'd be cool if Samus could roll up in her Morph Ball like some of the characters can crawl.

paul1290

Smash Rookie
I was amazed at the new Samus. I was a really great player on Melee, then along came Brawl. Samus was my main in Melee and i was a formidable for my friends Falco. However in Brawl some things have been removed such as missile cancelling and some of her knockback. Samus has appears to have been nerfed for people who did play samus. Until they adjust. I still try to missile cancel (Big mistake), and it has put me off playing Samus for now until i can learn again. However she may not be my main anymore.
What do you mean she can't missile cancel?

I missile cancel all the time and it still works just fine, it just got slowed down like everything else in Brawl. It's still a useful way to approach.

Top Bottom