• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. Fox

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Alright; Fox probably goes pretty close with Snake in this mu. SHTL can put pressure on us and occasionally blow up our nades, and he has potential to rack up a lot of damage with his combos if you don't know how to SDI. He ***** us in the air (like any other character) so make sure to plant your *** on the ground. I say watch out for his kill move: up-smash. He can string that with a lot of **** he can pull from *** so if your DI isn't that great you should get to work on that.

IMO, I play rather agressively in this match up. I abuse/space tilts considering his grab range is mediocre at best. Of course, nades are a must too.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology

Pros for :snake:

- Kills Fox really early with Up-Tilt which will be used because Fox likes to approach from above.
- Can crouch under Blaster Spam
- Heavily outranges Fox
- Tech chasing REALLY hurts Fox if you're good at it.
- Snake survives Up-Smash more longer than most characters. This is Fox's go-to kill move generally and has unholy knockback.
-Edgeguards Fox pretty well.
Pros for :fox:

- Combos the **** out of us. This is like two pros right here. Up-Tilt can juggle us to around 50% Dair leads to guaranteed follow ups at mid percents.
- Blasters with Reflector disrupt Snake's camping game and can force an approach: Something Snakes rarely want to do.
-Overall mobility makes pressuring Snake very effective when Fox has the momentum.
- Quick aerials allow for even more pressure when Snake has to recover using Cypher.

Ratio: 50/50

Summary:

So basically this is a tough matchup because Fox actually has some things going for him. He may not have a Chaingrab like Falco but he doesn't need one. He has Up-Tilt. Do not get caught in this at low percents or you can see your % go from 0 to 50 in a matter of seconds. Dair is also a threat at any percent. At low percents they use Dair to follow into Up-Tilt. At mid percents they use it to follow into a jab or grab. At high percents you can be grabbed or even worse..Up_Smash. At kill range its guaranteed if they land the entire hit.

But basically Fox is going to be peppering you with Blaster fire the entire match while using his superior mobility to dodge attacks and punish accordingly. A classic hit and run/ bait and punish game. If you use Grenades sloppily they WILL detonate on you. You can crouch under them but be ready for Fox is he approaches. He has fairly quick attacks.

How to win:

First off you need to know when be patient and when to rush him down. The fact is we kill him really early with Up-Tilt and you should try to keep it fresh if you can. Fox's do approach with Dair sometimes so you may be forced to use it. Just remember that Up-Smash is the move you need to look out for as its his only reliable kill move.

Anyway we outright outrange him in the melee department and F-Tilts destroy Fox. You need to punish him when he comes in close for his combos. Fox puts himself at risk when he has to approach because of this fact. He has limited options but his moves have synergy which is why he's a decent character. Grenades can help you corner Fox but like Falco you need to be very careful when you through them out. Fox does enough damage already lol Tech chasing is also very important in this MU. Fox has a mediocre roll so he's not hard to punish. I believe his get up attack hits toward you so you will have to shield if you predict it. If you feel like you afford to get greedy here go for it. Its a great way to rack up the damage and out Pivot Grab outranges most of his moves. Dash is also a very solid approach option in this MU. I would avoid using Mortarslide too much as Fox can punish it really easily.

Also avoid staying out of the air as always. His aerials are faster than ours though we outrange him. You also want to avoid having him under you also. And his Bair is pretty beast actually. Its disjointed, has good kill power and it can be Autocanceled.

Edgeguarding Fox is important also as his recovery has its flaws. This is not like Falco though, Fox actually has options. His Up-B is far superior in distance, and he can use Reflector to stall himself in the air. His Fair also augments his second jump and gives it some boost to it. Be careful as some Foxes like to grab the ledge, drop and use Fair to get back on the stage and hit you with one of the kicks. You can still force Fox into bad situations though using landmines and C4 accordingly.

Take Fox to

Lylat is my main pick. It screws up his recovery at times and its easier to set up your shenanigans with explosives there.
Halberd is iffy. Fox can kill you hella early here as you can to him. Only if you feel comfortable avoiding Up-Smash.
Battlefield is also reliable as you need platforms to avoid his annoying Blaster game.

Avoid:

FINAL DESTINATION. BAN IT. BAN IT! BAN IT!!! You have NOTHING to save you from Blaster shots and he can just run around and force you to approach all day. It's really good for them.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Fox's should learn how to ledge drop laser so you can hit snake while hes crouching.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
If you get hit by an Utilt in low % SDI down/in front of him so you can PS the next one and defend yourself. SDI IS REALLY IMPORTANT IN THIS MATCH UP, PRACTICE YOUR SDI TO AVOID ALL THE % YOU TAKE FROM HIS MULTI-HIT ATTACKS(Dair,Fair and Uair). Watch out for SHAD(Short Hop Air Dodge) Foxes really like to use it because of their mobility... Its a free Utilt if you don't expect it. If you get knocked out of the stage at kill % you can get Bair'd from your Cypher, all the options you have while landing back onstage can be Upsmashed its really sad...

You can Dair OOS his Dair,Utilt,Fsmash,Dash attack and Nair. Which is something i don't normally see from all of you if you notice he does get out of it just FF

There's a set in my channel of me aganist the best Fox in my country maybe it could be used as reference? Oh and Pivot grab is your best friend

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

Savon

Smash Ace
Tech Chase, I just want to clarify that fox has a LOT of different Kill options that he can use besides the upsmash that are reliable. He he can get Snake into the air(Which is not that hard), he can get a kill in with bair, uair, and even fair. Upsmash is something to keep in mind, but do NOT underrate the rest of Foxes kill moves because they will wreck your ****. Fox also has his d-smash to worry about as well.

With that being said I really think this MU comes down to personal skill between the two players. Foxes amazing mobility combined with Snakes virtually nonexistant mobility kind of cancel out both of their extremes in the weight department. Snake might be able to live for a long time, but Foxes damage racking abilities and kill power somewhat mitigate that. The same applies to how fox can easily avoid most of Snakes attacks with ease.

I think that Fox can outcamp snake because of his amazing speed and mobility. Grenades can only do so much, but Snake is a huge target with it comes to laser camping. Fox is a character that strives off forcing his opponent to approach with lasers then punishing them accordingly, but Snake is not much of an approacher.

The only real way for Snake to succeed in this MU is to get in a nice tech chase and some f-tilts for damage racking. It will not take much to get fox into kill percentage. The hard part is getting your hands on fox in the first place. Snake needs to get in some CRUCIAL reads if he intends on doing well in this MU.

ZTD | TECHnology

I will agree with Bair and even Up_air if he can chase Snake's recovery. ( I said Bair was pretty beastly in my description :( lol) But Down Smash is eh. They can get it out of Dair but by the way it kills most of Fox's decent knockback moves become options tbh. And if you can get a Dair off you might as Up_smash. Down Smash used by itself is situational. I agree with you though about just about everything else.

I am confused by Dair. Sometimes it works, and other times you powershield the moves. Then there is DI. Behind or in front, which is worse? Front you could get grabbed if you try to shield Usmash. In behind you can get hit by Utilt, but escape the other moves in front. Dsmash is threatening on both sides :/

Savon

Smash Ace
Dsmash is used as another move out of the drill, but sometimes it can just be a good mix-up attack when you are far to a certain side of the stage. The horizontal knockback is pretty nice, and it could lead to some pretty frustrating kills.

Also, sorry Tech Chase, when I was reading your overview I saw something about usmash being is only reliable kill move and something kinda just went off in me. Sorry

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
things i always have in mind when i play this mu are:
-dont get juggled at low %..if u cant avoid it, pull out nade between utilts
-dont get hit by usmash at higher %s (obvious)
-get away if hes directly above you in the air, espsecially if he has his dj left.
(i feel very umconfortable in this situation, because of his bait ability and fast falling speed which is very hard to react to.)
-keep moving alot in general, or he will overwhelm you with his mobility
- one "tricky" to approach i often use is, crawling to him while holding a nade

ZTD | TECHnology

Dsmash is used as another move out of the drill, but sometimes it can just be a good mix-up attack when you are far to a certain side of the stage. The horizontal knockback is pretty nice, and it could lead to some pretty frustrating kills.

Also, sorry Tech Chase, when I was reading your overview I saw something about usmash being is only reliable kill move and something kinda just went off in me. Sorry
It was that Foxy rage comin out lol

And np if I'm wrong about something correct me or argue it. The goal is to give the most accurate summary possible for future reference. I know a LOT of **** but I don't know everything about Snake's MUs.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
they also like to dthrow you and wait for the airdodge and usmash

bf is good against fox now? i obviously havent cared about these things for a long time lol

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
This matchup is def in Snake's favor, fox dies way too early and if you are decent at anti juggles it isn't hard to land against him. Plus space well and keep him at bay, you may have some problems recovering from offstage, but with good DI (up) and boosted up b you should be able to avoid getting hit on the way up then its just a matter of coming down.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Don't treat Foxs recovery like Falcos, they are nothing alike Foxs options are much more reliable and secure.. for Falco its mostly about edge hogging, gimping, or punishing once they're off the stage. For Fox I believe you should just either set up stage control or pressure.

Falco only has firebird, phantasm, and phantasm cancel.

Fox has shine stall, helicopter kick, firefox, phantasm and phantasm cancel

napZzz

Smash Hero
no fox lasers **** up snake too badly, and he can really juggle the **** out of snake too

snake has to approach and be careful, and he can also die at lower percents from an usmash

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think snake wins this, but its frustrating sometimes.

lasers blow up grenades (which is dumb), and fox kills us much earlier than other characters with a fresh upsmash

but really just shield. lasers aren't going to kill you, and you can punish virtually all of fox's moveset on shield. not that he's going to randomly attack your shield. but if your shield is up the whole match he's going to have a hard time taking damage from you

dont be too campy because it is quite possible for you just get lasers for 3 minutes and upsmashed, stay in his face, but just play on reaction. fox doesn't have too many mindgames. dont get hit by a random uptilt. and even upsmash is pretty easy to see coming most of the time.

i dont see what fox can do in this matchup if you stay in his face and shield and wait for him to do something. he doesn't have any thing thats safe on block. and i mean he can grab you if you stand too close, but you stand just outside his grab range and just watch him, i dont know that he can really do much

a patient fox can be annoying and hard to kill, but just be patient, and an opportunity will be there.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You made it seem like Fox can't grab or land behind your shield or just laser your shield until it's low.

You made Fox sound like Zelda imo

Top Bottom