• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake got nerfed

Aftermath

Smash Champion
If you've played wifi or connected to it at all since the game came out.

His dthrow used to do 13% as soon as the person moved, now it does 12% as soon as they are able to move.

Wonder if they'll patch anything else.

Video proof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUCACcKtA4&feature=related

Right at the beginning, Snake dthrows and it does 13%. If you've played online, go to training with Snake and dthrow, it does 12% as soon as they are laid down. If you haven't, it'll do 0% until the computer/person moves.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Since when did they do updates? Does it make sense that they would update a game where you have the option to use WiFi or not? Doesn't training mode have weird properties concerning damage percents?

So many questions haha..mainly because im skeptical.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
It updates the wii's software sure, I don't think it can update the game itself...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
For reasons unknown, as M2K pointed out, moves in training mode do a bit less damage then they do in any other mode. For example: Snake's fully charged fsmash does 30% in Training mode. However, it does 32% in the other modes.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Test it in game then. If you've been playing online recently, it'll do 12% as soon as the person is laid down.

I first noticed while playing in a real match.

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
It may not be able to update the game, but if the games are done through Nintendo's servers they could always adjust the #s (depending on how the game interacts with others online).

L 17

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think if nintendo were to actually update wifi, they would improve the connection and give more options rather than nerfing snake's dthrow.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
No, it's not just the japanese version. At the tournament last weekend, there were a couple Wiis that still had it doing 13% when you moved. It's definitely something that was updated. It's also not only online, once it updates, it does 12% in all modes of play.

bananaman

Smash Rookie
Personally I think if nintendo were to actually update wifi, they would improve the connection and give more options rather than nerfing snake's dthrow.
My idea exactly. If they were gona change stuff like that... I think they would do something besides lower snakes d throw 1%, haha

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
nah, changing his downthrow by 1 percent for an update is quite ridiculous. Maybe if there are other findings like, maybe marths f tilt does less/more damage, or dedede's up smash got weaker will this actually make sense. Why would nintendo go out of their way just to change snake's downthrow by 1%? And nintendo can't patch your game without your consent anyways right? That's some kind of invasion of privacy policy right there.

molopo

Smash Rookie
I fail to see how it's an invasion of privacy for Nintendo to patch a game that they created, with or without your consent. While it is impossible to actually do this (with the Wii's technology, anyway), they wouldn't be breaking any laws. Though I do agree that lowering Snake's d-throw by 1% is completely ridiculous.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
I fail to see how it's an invasion of privacy for Nintendo to patch a game that they created, with or without your consent. While it is impossible to actually do this (with the Wii's technology, anyway), they wouldn't be breaking any laws. Though I do agree that lowering Snake's d-throw by 1% is completely ridiculous.
Oh, i don't know, whenever you patch pc games or something on the ps3, they always ask you to accept the download then "sign the user license" you know, the thing where you scroll all the way down to the bottom and just hit yes?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
O God Guyz Snake's Dthrow Duz One Less % He's Low Tier Now Oh Noes
I'm definitely not saying that, I'm just saying it was changed sometime from release to now.

Also, anyone that hasn't played online or doesn't have wifi, post with how much your dthrow does and when it does damage, it's pretty amazing that no one has done anything to try and reject this other than "I don't think they'd do that."

I remember distinctly after getting the gam thinking his dthrow was useless, so tested out its properties. He would lay them down and it wouldn't do anything, but if you did any action from the ground, they took 13% at that time. If you lay there until the game stood you up automatically, you took no damage. Now, it's as I described it several times earlier.

Regardless of whether you think Nintendo would do this, it's definitely happened.

Eventually I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed any minor changes, but I guess that discussion isn't going to happen any time soon.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
only way to be sure, somebody message nintendo.com
Just copy and paste this

"Dear Nintendo, did you guys nerf Snake's down throw in Super Smash Bros Brawl by 1 percent?"

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Tried this. It does 12% intially every time. Frankly I don't think 1% matters, and I don't even recall that it did 13% lol...never really thought about the damage of it. If it really was 13%, I do wonder how they did changed that....since I believe the wii system update only affects the wii's firmware.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
You guys ever consider that the Dthrow does 12.5%? I am finding that it seems to do 12.5% damage. The brawl training always rounds it down to twelve. If the first thing you ever do in a battle is a dthrow, then it shows as 12 percent. Now if you reset your stale moves(aka SD) then when you do dthrow again it does 13% for a total of 25%. The next one then sets you them to 37%. And that is followed by 50% I think. 12.5 + 12.5 +12.5 +12.5 = 50 yay :D

Snake is supposed to be one of the most technical characters. Yall should be ashamed of yourselves for not being able to think of such a basic concept as 12.5% damage. Update the game to lower Snake Dthrow 1%? lol that is more farfetched than them adding Sora and Geno into the game through an update cuz Square Enix finally signed off on it.
LOL, JK. Just having fun cracking on some Snake players, cuz I sure can't do it in a match(fighting against Snake=owned). Besides, I think I am gonna be using Snake at my next tourney for my main.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
You guys ever consider that the Dthrow does 12.5%? I am finding that it seems to do 12.5% damage. The brawl training always rounds it down to twelve. If the first thing you ever do in a battle is a dthrow, then it shows as 12 percent. Now if you reset your stale moves(aka SD) then when you do dthrow again it does 13% for a total of 25%. The next one then sets you them to 37%. And that is followed by 50% I think. 12.5 + 12.5 +12.5 +12.5 = 50 yay :D

Snake is supposed to be one of the most technical characters. Yall should be ashamed of yourselves for not being able to think of such a basic concept as 12.5% damage. Update the game to lower Snake Dthrow 1%? lol that is more farfetched than them adding Sora and Geno into the game through an update cuz Square Enix finally signed off on it.
LOL, JK. Just having fun cracking on some Snake players, cuz I sure can't do it in a match(fighting against Snake=owned). Besides, I think I am gonna be using Snake at my next tourney for my main.
i love you, you figured it out!

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
lol :D
Now to write a new superior Snake Guide!

JK, the "Into the Fray" guide owns. I've read many of the guides on here, and by far the "Into the Fray" one seems to be the best and most entertaining(love the Pics). I want to add Pikachu to my arsenal just to pick on all the top tiers(a strange phenomenon, but Pikachu owns nearly all of the top characters), but unlike the awesome Snakes, they don't even have a guide.
Anyway, I am gonna go read the Snake guide again cuz it owns so much.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
my friend said that when he used ganondorfs side special and grabbed people off of ledges and pulled them to death on both players last life, it would result in a sudden death.

i remember it happening in the begining too.

but now it results in ganondorf dying first. they patched that too....

so maybe there is hope.

do you think they collect numbers and info from online play?
if so, they might be able to see that some characters disproportionately (spelling? lol) win

i like the idea of patches

Warrior_J

Smash Rookie
Yes, I have had my suspicions of this as well. When the game first came out, a Ganoncide (with both players having one remaining stock) resulted in a Sudden Death. Since then, a Ganoncide now leads to a loss as Ganon now dies first.

Top Bottom