• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYM 7 (Champaign, IL March 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG C

Smash Master
no it's just that if they don't play they're gonna be cold. I hated all the matches which is really the reason I didn't like the format. I mean the top 8 are still gonna play the matches but it's the same amount of matches forward played at the tourny which seemed to work out for him.

Drephen

Smash Master
everyone i talked to except kishes plus 1 or 2 others hated the format

its a well thought out process but its not very popular

my complaints:

- theres no absolute final match, even if its a more accurate process the fun and excitement of finals of well more worth it

- in smash community its generally been that you are competing with the person you are supposed to play, not everyone at the tourney. Also it been that how you do is dependent on the number of loses you have, not the wins. I think that this is easier to accept and understand to everyone.

- Pools of 8 with 1 person advancing is way too hard. A person is gonna see 1 good player an d be like "great now i cant advance" People get really depressed when they know that all their other matches dont matter because just that the one match with the really good player is the only one that matters. It really takes the fun outta the tourney.

With a bracket theres always unpredictablity and some randomness. But like the game itself, random is what makes this game fun. Also with a bracket, how good you do is dependent on how well you do yourself, not how well the other people are doing.

- When a pool is done its like "okay now what?" When you lose in a bracket situation its a definate loss and your done. With pools it leaves uncertainty, and this could lead to people not taking matches as seriously. Also i personally felt that this hurt time restrains waiting around to see if you advanced or not.

i would really like the idea of friendly tvs. It would really keep things organized and keep people who need to play tourney matches on those tvs.

Aside from that i helped out by staying in a hotel!

mathos

Smash Champion
As for the advancing and wildcards I didn't really like it because it took more deserving better people out of the tourny. Like Peter Chen and Capt. Awesome who both had the same thing. Since they lost a match to one person that person advances instead of the person they beat. I mean I made it through because of points other people had the same record as me but, since I attended more circuit events they didn't get in and I did. What the?
Many people deserve to be many places. Like me for example, I think I deserve to be in the Top 8 and I'm not even there. So therefore I overrule whatever the results say. I am in the Top 8 at SMYM7 only because I'm more deserving.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I can certainly appreciate that brackets are more fun than round robins. They have a certain je ne sais quoi.

(that isn't exactly right, because I DO know why brackets are more fun... or, je sais quoi, I think it would be? Maybe someone who speaks french can help me out? I just wanted to say that, anyway)

The format has its cons, to be sure, and if there is overwhelming opposition to it, we won't use it again.

mathos

Smash Champion
je ne sais quoi = I don't know

With a bracket theres always unpredictablity and some randomness. But like the game itself, random is what makes this game fun. Also with a bracket, how good you do is dependent on how well you do yourself, not how well the other people are doing.
Why don't we play with items?

Mars-

Smash Champion
Rofl, M2k and HugS, what are you doing in this thread? The title says IL, I don't know if you guys can read that, so I thought I would point it out.

Dukerislayer

Smash Apprentice
hey srry to but in on you guys tourney but alot of people from memphis came to this and i wondering if yall could possibly show some more detailed results cuz i cant really see nite and chad not advancing.

BTW M2K that was an ******* thing to say!!!!!

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I have to say that I didn't like the format at all. The mere fact that people didn't move on that really deserved to sucked lots. Cunning, me, and a few others got screwed over simply from the style that we went through. Sure, it was fun to play all those other people, but not moving on because of a mere technicality really took a lot out of me to be honest. We also almost ran out of time with this style, since it was hard to keep the attention of the people in the Final 8 long enough.

I'm pretty sure I can also speak for Husband and Wife where you find out after a match that you were playing for first or fourth and wind up with fourth really sucks.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Yeah, it would seem that since a lot of people got to play a lot of matches, but this isn't about quantity over quality. The overall mood of the tourney was ugly because a lot of people felt that they were justly cheaped out out what they thought was going to have more substance than what they ended up getting. I have to agree with drephen about morale going down the ****ter when you realize not only is it improbable to beat someone in your pool, but also that "that person" is going to take a good lead over everyone in your pool, leaving you as good as last.

I'm not sure what the overall take on SMYM6 was, but i have to say i enjoyed that a lot more, having 2 from each pool moving into brackets.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tyf03f

^pictures from event. Sorry if you aren't on there, sorry if you are.

I also have a video of Husband playing the piano, but I won't post that out of respect and fear. He wasn't too bad though.

Darkrain played the piano (anyone that plays Mad World on the piano gets an A+ from me), AOB played the piano (Mario 64 water theme = instant nostalgia), Big D, Me, Husband, and like 4 other people were all playing the piano.

That puts SMYM tournaments above all others. SMYM is classy. Host another one, AOB, and charge $3 for a housing fee and pocket some cash for yourself!

I was really pleased with the tournament. I've made top 32 in singles in every event I have ever gone to at the very least, with the exception of FC6, and I really thought this was going to be the event that was going to break me, but somehow I made it through.

I can't believe I lost to you Joel! Your game & watch scared me so I was worried about starting off with Fox, which I should have done. We'll rematch soon.

As for the round robin format......

It's great. It has a lot of rough edges, but it is great and is much, much better than instant brackets.

I got to play against a larger number of people with a strong variety in actual tournament matches (none of that sandbagging crap, except from people who wouldn't win anyways and wanted an excuse), which was great. The last SMYM was nothing but friendlies with the same 3 people on one TV, trading off after sets.

I also enjoyed not going into a bracket and playing Dope first round. Dope has 3 stocked me every time I've played him. EVERY TIME. On every stage, against every characters, always a 3 stock. I've done better consistently against Ken and Azen.

I'll make it easy on you guys...

Things I liked about the tournament:

more official matches
Official matches = things that matter. I could beat anyone in a friendly and have the knowledge that it didn't really matter because they might have been sandbagging, might have been a fluke, etc., etc., but with official matches only the worst players "don't try".

more playing time for everyone on average
Scenario. Darkrain and Drephen are sitting at a TV playing each other. 25 people are standing behind them watching. How many people are going to have the balls to say "I've got next"? How many are going to hear the response "okay"?

Pro players get a lot of game time against one another, and that's good, but there are so few TVs that it severely limits the amount of friendlies people get. I know Darkrain and Drephen would both allow people to play if they asked, but it is difficult for many players to do that. I know my little brother didn't play very often there because he couldn't get it around his head to just walk up and say "is it alright if I have next".

There's no real way to fix it, but having round robin formats like this with so many matches out there mean that you don't have to approach that problem hardly at all.

Showed more skill, less luck (for the most part)

If Tink goes into a 32 man bracket and plays Forward first round, has a close game, and loses, the next match he plays is a big one. Imagine Tink plays Dope first round losers bracket and then gets beaten. Tink, a consistent top finisher, is in 32nd place.

We have remedied this, for the most part, with points and seeding. This makes it really good for the upper level players, but for lower level players it is a wall that prevents them from joining the "good smasher" group.

Playing in the pools meant I got to see where I stood. I beat Iggy, and did a pretty good job against Trail. I recognized mistakes when playing Dmac, and was happy with my first game against Husband (my second game I got friggin *****, on my own counter-pick. I ain't gonna lie). Big C was using Ganondorf's down-b into bombs on green greens, so I don't know what he was smoking.

That was a much more pleasant experience for me than past tournaments. I had a LOT of close games that showed me where I stood, and what I needed to improve on. It's much better than in brackets where you come in, you play, and if you make top 8 then you can make an impression.

Got to see a lot of good matches

If you really liked one smasher's style and wanted to watch his matches (see: Darkrain, Forward), you were able to. If they won, if they lost, didn't matter. You got 8, maybe 16, maybe 24 sets to watch if you just followed them around. Paying a $3 fee to watch 24 sets of your favorite smasher is a good deal in of itself. How many people here wouldn't pay $3 to watch 24 sets of (insert name of personal smash hero of reader)?

It was FASTER

It was slow to start (like all tournaments), but after that you had periods of lots of matches, then short break periods, followed by more matches. It was a good fluctuation of on and off, and things went really fast.

The reason we were on schedule is because with pools, you don't leave until all your matches are done. Once you beat one guy, you don't have to wait half an hour to play. Instead, you just point to someone in your pool and say "let's play".

You are either playing, or you aren't. You are never "waiting to play" with pools.

Things that I did not like about the tournament:

Too much randomization

Yeah, one of the things I liked was that it showed more skill and less luck, and it does, but there was still too much randomization.

My friend Kel lost one set the entire tournament, and that was to Forward, who won it. Kel had lost other games in his pool, but only one set. In a traditional setup, he would have advanced. I kind of feel bad, because I'm the one who came in and pushed him out. I only lost one set, and that was a set where I won a match. Add in that I have two points and I'm pushed onto the list, and Kel, who had lost a few matches, had been bumped out.

Now, he "deserved" his lack of advancement in a sense because other players did do better than him ("Every match counts", as Prime said on the bullhorn). It is possible to just say "you deserve what you got. Shouldn't have lost those first matches", but at the same time you have to be a little more careful about this stuff. I heard Wife say something that put a lot of it into perspective. "I just really don't think the third match should be so important".

Losing sets, not games, is what we normally are used to being important. If Husband/Wife had beaten Dope/Dark, they would have gotten first (I believe), but instead got 4th. Fair? Yes, they earned it. Conducive to a fun tournament experience? No.

It's possible to let stuff like that slide at the very tip top, as that is when competition is expected to be fierce. Earlier in the tournament though....

Some people had easy pools. I know mine wasn't difficult. It has been in the past and I managed to get by with second and having lost a few games but only one set. Might not have happened this tournament.

This isn't an inherent problem with the pools, but a problem with how the pools are made.

We have power rankings to seperate the good kids from the bad, so that only one or two really good players get in a pool, but after that it just seems like they throw random people in there.

What I propose is to do away with power rankings and things like that, and instead just make an all-encompassing "tier list" of players. Just like the normal tier list we have, it would be a guide and wouldn't show everything, but it would be a better way of splitting up players than points and recent performances.

Put people like Ken, Azen, Dope, Isai, Wife, etc., etc., in the "Top tier" category. People that you know are tremendously powerful and you don't want to pair them together early in the tournament for no reason.

After that, get all of the up and coming players, the players that are a threat but aren't expected to win. The underdogs. Stick them in the "upper tier" category.

Middle tier would be players (like me) that place consistently towards the upper end of the spectrum, always making it to brackets, always performing consistently decent, but would be such a huge upset if they won that Mars would explode.

Low tier would be players that have gone to many tournaments, but have sporadic records. Sometimes they go and get top 16, sometimes they get nothing. Players you might have to say "this guy could be a problem", but are more than likely not a threat. Any past highlights this smasher might have had would more than likely be a fluke, and not something you would expect to happen again.

Bottom tier would obviously be the smashers that aren't even in the list. People that are going to a first tournament, people that no one knows, the wild cards that everyone expects to suck.

The list could easily be created with a little time and effort by tournament organizers. Take any name that places top 16 in your regional tournaments consistently, and you've got a player that is up in the Top tier or Upper tier. It might be hard to do on a national level, but even that could be done.

I know the rankings were discontinued due to people complaining and whatnot, but this really shouldn't be something anyone can argue over. The biggest things people could argue about are between two tiers. Someone can say that Dope should be Top tier, someone can say Upper tier, but regardless he is at least close to where we would put him.

A list like this would help tournaments with round robins a lot. Have 8 people in a pool, throw in one top tier, one upper tier, two middle tiers, 2 low tiers, 2 bottom tiers, and BAM. Instant balanced pool.

Too much downtime for people not playing in first rounds

Poor top 8 in the midwest. They had nothing to do at all for a longass time.

Just a result of them getting to automatically advance, but wasn't much of a reward. Probably should have attempted to get a TV set aside for them to play some friendlies on or somethng.

Your losses matter more than your wins

That statement isn't really true, but it feels like it. It isn't something that can really be changed, it is just a negative effect that tons of round robins will have. One loss, not of a set, but of a game, will haunt you.

If there was time, there could always be a round robin of the "almost" players. All the players that lost one set but couldn't advance due to other losses could duke it out, but there is never time for that. Win % will have to do.

It makes stupid people show they are stupid

This wasn't that confusing of a process. Really.

No Finals

The crowd sitting around and cheering watching the final two? The single best part of a tournament. This takes it away.

Easy solution: Take the top two winners in your pool and make them play a set of 5. It takes only a short while longer and gives us the 'Final Match'.

The top 8 in the Midwest got to sit out the first round

I know you guys were trying to do a good thing and make this a "finals" sort of event, but this was just a bad idea. Yeah, they would probably move on anyways, but the word is probably.

The chance to beat one of those good people in your pool is an amazing thing, and even more amazing if you win. Having a straightforward "top 2 in your pool move on" is so much easier, less stressful, and doesn't deal with points. Let people play the good players, get destroyed if they deserve it, and then just point to that good player and say "that is why you didn't advance".

Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
whoa, sorry for the double post, but...

When I was playing Iggy and Trail, I used Kongo Jungle because the stage is amazing and goes well with my playstyle when they ban green greens.

Sometimes the stage is banned, sometimes it isn't.

I checked the stage list for banned stages just in case I was mistaken even though I checked repeatedly before the tournament.....

I discovered something odd.

Peach's castle wasn't banned?! O_o

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?!

VagrantLest

Smash Cadet
I had alot of fun, it was good meeting everyone and seeing some real quality players. And getting 2nd in scrabbles was some goodz.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
More productive post to come later...

I kind of like the "tier list of players" idea. I wouldn't mind replacing power rankings with that, but it's not my call.

Jekyll for bottom tier! :)

Kel

Smash Master
What? How is it not based on luck? I was first seed in my pool but was unlucky enough to get forward. I then lost one match to somebody and that one game that I lost prevented me from advancing. This is flawed because, as Wife pointed out at SMYM, it's unfair for pools that are heavy with pro players. Going by win percentage simply makes it that if you had a pool without pros you could advance over someone that was top 16 just because the pool was tough.

I agree with the ginger. Bracket is the way to go. Pools with top 4 advancing and then bracket.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
idk i really liked this format.

sure there were downsides but i think overswarm's post pretty much showed there there were much more ups.

i really hate losing to people who i consider my "walls" in bracket play over and over again every tournie. this allowed me to go far, by proving that i can consistently beat a vast array of players and not simply be brought down by select individuals all the time.

as far as people being in tough pools ..... people get tough brackets also and in turn get screwed. id rather have a pool of people which comprise of those i can beat and have trouble with, rather than getting stopped by a single individual who i can never beat :(. (the eduard j. howells)

i think these pools make the tournie more exciting and overall just help better my skills as a player by being able to play in a plethora of tournie level sets........

tho i think that it should just go by tournie sets and not wins/losses. being an IC player i tend to go 2-1 in many sets due to the fact that people feel the need to be mean.... i felt that such things would make this pool system a little unfair for me :(

all and all trail dispensed some serious justice that day.

Myztek

Smash Ace
The pools were fun just because I got to play a lot of matches against different people; but as others are saying, it sucks to see that you have a pro in your pool and know you're not going to make it.

I prefer the round robin and brackets format a lot more, unless you can find another way to do this where more people get the opportunity to advance or something. This was a great tournament, though. I had a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the vids and stuff. Where are the results at ? ;o

Nite

Smash Champion
I'd have to agree that the round robin format was terrible. A lot of people deserved to advance that didn't. Because only 1 person was guaranteed to advance, there was no room for mistakes. I mean with so many people in comparison to set ups, at times it was hard to get in friendlies and warm up. Therefore, some of the better players didn't advance. 2 rounds of pools with top 4 advancing and then brackets would have been fine.

Anyways, I'm too tired to do shout-outs. They'll come later.

Good sh*t to Forward, Dope, Dark, and Tink. Top 8 did a great job. WUWU!

Sliq

Smash Master
told ya it was banned :p
Told who what was banned? If you are referring to OS talking about Kongo Falls, that stage was not banned during the tournament. If You meant to put a "not" before banned to refer to you mentioning to OS that Peach's Castle was not banned, I had mentioned to him earlier that that stage might not be banned (I talked about it in the car OS, "lurn to heer").

I personally enjoyed the pool system. Albeit I had an easy pool, I Have Space Balls being my greatest foe (and ally (THIS IS SPARTA!!!1one)). What I should have done was gone to Brinstar or Mute or any bad Samus stage. That way, even if I lost, I would've stolen an extra win with my lame counter-pick. I, however, went Falco, A character I stopped playing a LOOOONG time ago (johns, amirite?).

Maybe if there isn't a time cap there could be some compromise for those people (Kel, Pete, Captain Awesome) who didn't make it due to one loss, i.e. BATTLE ROYALE (thank you for showing me this at FoB Joshu) or a wild card pool. That way everybody happy! ^( '-' )^

I had a fun time at the tournament until the end, when I felt, for the lack of a better term, some bitterness aimed at me for certain strategies that I used, which is sort of a shame. I had hoped to not have people disliking me over a video game, but I guess some things can't be avoided. =/

Mikey Lenetia - Dude, were you sandbagging our first match, did my mad skill leave me, or were you touched by Jesus for our third match, because I got pwnzored. PWNZORED A LOT. In the face region. I feel like I should apologize for taking you to Kongo Falls, but--to put it bluntly--I'm not really sorry. If I hadn't done so I probably wouldn't have one a single game. I'm sure you've picked a "lame" stage in the past to win a match (Mute City or Brinstar, perhaps?). I am, however, sorry if I left a bad impression, because that wasn't my aim. My aim was to win. If we were playing friendlies I probably wouldn't have camped like a boy scout.

5150/Magnum Opus/Rick/every other alias he has- The only reason I camped the ledge was because every time I jumped on the stage, Souroush ran to the other side of FD and spammed lasers. I wasn't sure if you watched the whole match or not, but I personally feel that a God Tier character laser spamming/camping is a lot lamer than me ledge camping, considering Jigglypuff can only sweet spot the edge with a well spaced Sing or Rollout. And when I jump into Sing to sweet spot, I'm completely open to get shined. Souroush had plenty of options to win that match, but it was his fault for spending half the match across FD just shooting lasers. The sheer number of options he had overwhelm me right now, and I would list them, but he might be reading this, and I already said too much about the sing sweet spot. o_O

Cunning - Jigglypuff may be a "gay" character, but that doesn't make her good (and it doesn't make me good either, if that wasn't more obvious than after our match). I'm sure 4 stocking me hasn't proven this. -_-;;

Tink - That reverse Dolphin slash against Forward and the comeback were EPIC on a grand scale. Also, when I counter pick Mute City, you're supposed to go Cpt. Falcon and win. God knows everyone else does (Eddie, Dope, Jiano...you are all so very mean with the knees and the hurting).

Eddie - The smartest player in the Midwest IMHO. You should give up that Marth clown and come back home to middle tier with Ganondorf. My Jiggs and I will be waiting. Middle tier for life. t( '-'t)

Marth1 - Next time I face you, prepared to have your grabs ducked, and your character rested. I'm going to make you work for your grabs next time. Also, sick Falcon Punch against Souroush. I creamed myself. <( '-'<)

Forward - Taj's Mewtwo must be AMAZING from the **** I saw you do at the tourney. I had done the Phantasm edge cancel on PS before, but never into a revers laser. That **** was wicked. Oh, and Jungle Japes...so many Phantasms. Flashiest **** I've seen in a while. Oh, and please keep your shirt on.

AOB - Thanks for housing, and nice piano playing. That was the best part of the tournament (that and playing Smash...). We're still going to keep trying to teach your birds to say "Mission Comprete." Now you just need to get a fox...

Mathos - Where were you and Bushman??? This is MALARKEY!!! MAAALAAARKEEEY!!!!

Ameer - Is chubby and black and did not go. You phail sir.

I Have Space Balls - Your Samus is too good. Seriously, knock it off. I probably should've just stayed Jiggs and taken you to a lame stage. You need to go to Shameful Fall, that way we can watch more movies outside in the street.

Brightside - You laugh at EVERYTHING, which is awesome, because it makes me seem funnier than I am. Also, you Marth has gotten a crap-ton better. I claim hax. I'm on to you buddy...

Overswarm - We need to start a WarRock clan and get some people. Then we can have a decent 4 v 4 team and R0xx0R their B0xx0RS. With F0xx0RS in S0xx0RS...I guess...? That sort of turned into Dr. Seus book at the end. MIRROR SLICE.

Travis - Your pretty good. Keep hanging around OS and come to tournaments and ****. Except don't try to camp as much as he does. He is the king of camp. You should just play good. Unlike him HEYOOO! I kid, I kid. I joke, I joke.

Juke - We got wrecked in the teams semi-finals. We need to practice something fierce. HYPERBOLIC TIME CHAMBER. I have a message for our foes after we emerge from said chamber...pray.

Joshu - At what point did you think that consuming that whole lollipop would be a good idea? It's no wonder Phatgamer got sick, but how did you do it? Iron stomach? Do you now have diabetes?

Darkrain - Play more piano and less Fox, lol. You and your bus are too good. Have you taken any trips inside people in that bus, or am I thinking about some other bus? Edit: I MEAN THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS. NOT A PORN RELATED BUS.

That is all for now. I am really tired so I think I'll go to sleep. Seacrest out.

Edit - I just posted this, and holy christ is the post long. Sorry to anybody who actually read it thinking there was going to be something spiffy in it. I wasted A LOT of your time. And mine. Time for sleep again.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
So many good people at SMYM but I think I'm gonna have to give it to Wuwu this time. He plowed through the opposition, all the way through to the final pool. Very impressive **** wuwu. You were evenly matched with Forward but noone can appreciate that since they were all drooling over Forward that guy is insane though definitely but you definitely proved to him that you can take him. I'd like to see that again.

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol·li·pop Pronunciation Key - [lol-ee-pop]
–noun
a piece of hard candy attached to the end of a small stick that is held in the hand while the candy is licked.
Also, lol·ly·pop.

Why Phatgamer got sick whilst I escaped with only a bloody tongue.
IT IS WRITTEN. LICK, NOT BITE.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
the round robin the whole way was cool I thought. I know I would've enjoyed being able to play EIGHT sets vs. really good people if I had made it out of my initial pool.

I think the only downside was that:

a) no finals. Like someone said already, it'd be easy to do, if we had another 1/2 hour to work with. do best 3/5 with the t2 guys from the last round pool.

Umm... that's it.

I think people are upset because only so many advanced out of pools, even if its the same amount that advanced last time. People want a clear cut T2 advancement, which is fine, and can work in the Round Robin format just fine...

Also, I haven't done the math or anything so I could be totally wrong, but if time wasn't a factor, couldn't you do like a 2nd round pool being 48 people instead of 32 or something? Since there wouldn't be byes (just a few extra people) it wouldn't be a problem it seems... I think that would appease more people.

And on another note, having friendly-only tvs would be EXCELLENT! Have a winner-stays policy or something... that'd be awesome.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Mikey Lenetia - Dude, were you sandbagging our first match, did my mad skill leave me, or were you touched by Jesus for our third match, because I got pwnzored. PWNZORED A LOT. In the face region. I feel like I should apologize for taking you to Kongo Falls, but--to put it bluntly--I'm not really sorry. If I hadn't done so I probably wouldn't have one a single game. I'm sure you've picked a "lame" stage in the past to win a match (Mute City or Brinstar, perhaps?). I am, however, sorry if I left a bad impression, because that wasn't my aim. My aim was to win. If we were playing friendlies I probably wouldn't have camped like a boy scout.
Hee hee. I know it was. I just got frustrated that I couldn't touch you on the rock no matter what I did. So I got mad. And when I gets mad, baaaad things happen. ;)

I can see your point with the Mute City or Brinstar, but camping overall is one of the things that can make me really upset when I can do nothing about it. Friggin' rock. Looking back, I was just upset at my three losses to things like me messing up or getting camped. Had I not lost those three rounds, I would have moved on instead of Tink to the Final 8, so if anything, I owe you an apology. No hard feelings, and next time, I'm banning that PoS stage just for you. ^_~

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
what i loved:

bthrows into falling bombs on green greens
watching a jiggs camp out a fox on fd on the ledge for 7:50, then stall for 10 seconds.
watching 3 matches on kongo jungle (the rock level)
camping on green greens
a system where 8 people got byes out of hard first round brackets that quite possibly could have eliminated them
a system where people didn't move on because they didn't win well enough
a system where 2nd round pools were clearly imbalanced
a system where someone was playing for 1st or 4th in teams

what i didn't like

not enough bthrows into falling bombs on green greens
overall, not enough camping
overall, not enough homosexual counterpicking

Tapion013

Smash Lord
I'm glad I didn't go to this... knowing my luck I would've had one person better than me in my pool, and one person good enough to take a win off me and not advanced again...

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
One big issue with this format that I hadn't realized before the tourney is that it favors people in easier pools even more than normal. The 2nd-seeders who win the wild card spots in the end will tend to be the ones who had the easiest pools to get those 9-2 records. Or 11-2 or whatever. I think the wild cards thing needs to be scrapped (anyway, the consensus on wild cards has been completely negative, so there you go).
Giving the advancements to the people with the best records seemed like a great idea, but it has this huge hole. We would somehow have to account for the skill level of each pool if we wanted to do that again--gross!

Taking out the top 8 seems to have been a misguided idea. If we do the RR format again, we'll leave them in and if they think they have to play too many matches, oh well.

Friendly TVs... you're not serious? We didn't exactly have a surplus of setups, you know. You guys get us 24 setups and we'll set aside a few for friendlies.

I know the lack of a final match is a slight downside, but surely the final pool was exciting???

nikePK--advancing more than 32 people isn't an option, period. We have advanced 32 at every event so far, and doing 48 as you say would be a gigantic time crunch.

Mathos--I know that "je ne sais quoi" means "I don't know what." It's an expression used to refer to some favorable quality that can't easily be described in words. I was employing my dry humor and trying to make sure that "je se quoi" means "I know what."
But only I would do something like that.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Also, I think the true winner at this tournament was Joshu. He showed that lollypop a thing or two.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
told ya it was banned :p
It wasn't. It isn't on the stage list.

Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, MKI, MKII, Venom, Big Blue, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Brinstar Depths,

Termina, and Yoshi's Island 64

No Kongo Jungle at all! Nor is princess' castle on there.

what i didn't like

not enough bthrows into falling bombs on green greens
overall, not enough camping
overall, not enough homosexual counterpicking
Did you not watch me play one game sir?

OS post seems positive
I did like the format, but there are definite negatives that need to be fixed. With the removal of the "best top 8 don't have (get) to play first round" and the addition of a clear cut "finals" match (best of 5 set sirs?), most of said things would be taken away.

The biggest problem most people had is that they were close but didn't make it, or did just as well as someone else but didn't have the points up there. This can be remedied by greater emphasis on making pools even, and by telling people "play better".

I know the lack of a final match is a slight downside, but surely the final pool was exciting???
Not really. I didn't get to watch a lot of matches I would like to watch, which was a little frustrating (vids will help this problem later), and it wasn't nearly as exciting. Good games, but it didn't feel like a finals.

If top 2 had gone on to play a set (impossible at this tournament due to time constraints), it would have been a perfect ending.

Oh, and Mikey-

If someone is camping the rock on Kongo Jungle, you have two options.

One- pull turnips until you get a death turnip then take your best shot, then repeat

Two- pull a turnip, jump out over the rock and drop it over their ledge(Z, not throw), do a float canceled nair, bair, or dair (depending on where they are and what they are doing) followed with a downsmash. If timed properly, the invincibility frames disappear before all of your attacks end, and you hit them off the side and spike them with the downsmash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom